3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

used maxima

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 12:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

used maxima

Im looking to get a used car within the next year or so. I was recomended the nissan maxima. I have around 3000 or 3500 tops to spend. Im in need of something very very reliable with good gas milage and decent power. I got burned on my last used vehicle purchase. It was down to a 1991 mazda 929 a 1996 lumina and a 1986 dodge pickup well i got the truck and the damn thing is in my yard now with a ****ed transmision. plus it only put out around 180hp with a 318 it probaly would have only gotten about 10mpg. (had a 4brl carb)

Since the maxima se model puts out around 170hp that seems like what im looking for. What are some known problems with this car? could i find a 4th gen maxima for this much or will i only be able to find a 3rd gen? also reliability wise how are these cars? I was considering a early 90's 5.0 stang but ive heard the maximas will out run the 5.0's plus get better gas miliage. Is this true?
Old 08-09-2003, 01:05 PM
THX
Hallelujah

What you'd want is a used 92-94 SE Max. These have the VE engine which has 190hp and even variable valve timing. The thing is the VTCs (controls the VVT mechanism) will start knocking after 100k or so with bad maintenance. WHen you test drive one see if the engine knocks when you start it up cold. If it does that's a sign things will just get worse. You can easily ground them though, getting rid of the sound but you lose the VVT.

Also whether you grab the VE or VG (160hp) engine make sure you get a 5-speed manual. I made the mistake of getting an auto and at 180k miles it needs a $2000 rebuild. I'm pretty sure if it was manual I'd still be keeping it rather than looking for another used max.

Anyway good luck finding a great condition VE 5-spd.. I've been on the hunt for about 2 months now. You will enjoy the car though, the 3rd gens have things the newer ones don't such as independent 4 wheel suspension and that old school Nissan styling that still looks great today. You'll probably be hooked onto Nissan after owning your first 3rd gen as did I.
Old 08-09-2003, 03:53 PM

Used 3rd gen Maxima certainly is a good combination of affordability, performance, luxury, and reliability. That's why I own one! But you can go better on any one of these categories above. If you want to maximize reliability, maybe for your money a newer but smaller (read: cheaper when new) car might be a better bet, such as a Toyota Tercel or Corolla, or Nissan Sentra. They will meet your gas mileage requirement better too, getting 30mpg or more. It won't be as luxurious or as fast as a Maxima, though. They will be small, dinky, noisy, rather slow little car.

But a Maxima will at least double your gas mileage! But the most important thing is to get a car in decent condition. Even a statistically reliable car, if it's in awful shape and has been neglected, it'll probably be unreliable. And there are probably Yugos that have been reliable to its owners! Though they are most likely very rare and bordering on being a miracle...
Old 08-09-2003, 11:04 PM

being the owner of a ve 5spd the car can be vary fast ,reliable and get good gas milage all at the same time but dont expect it to be this right out of the box although id like to recommend this car if you are the do it your selfer type but if you cant even change oil i would not sugest getting a $3k maxima because after you own it for a year it will be a $6k maxima. if you want the car to live up to these expectations there are things that will need to be replaced and if done at a shop can get extremly expensive, so buy accordingly you could get a much newer more mantianace free car for the same price although you sacrifice the fun and fast part thats what hyundais and saturns are for
Old 08-10-2003, 09:57 AM

im selling my 92 se it has 130k on it its a auto seams to be running really good ac works great heat is good. i changed the knock senser, the break master cillinder, break pads, new radio, new speakers, but it still got a lil break problem. once u fix that the car is awsome
i want around $2500 for it.
Old 08-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I saw a 1992 sentra today in a parking lot. It was only 2200 so i called the guy and he told me he was tire of spending money on it. Hes replaced everything in the car. he bought it was his daughter and she got a new one. Lol he said the key was under the back tire to take it for a spin. So i did for the hell of it. Damn that was a pos. The key would fall out the ignition. It rattles and sounded like a boat.

I also saw a 1997 ranger for 4200. (nice) a 1980 caprice 2000 (w00t) car looked awsome but the gas milage is an issue. I have yet to come across a maxima.

btw zone wheres the car located?
Old 08-10-2003, 07:39 PM
Way out West

I will have to say a couple of things because I have owned two 92 Maxima SEs AND I owned an 86 Mustang GT Convertible. This will be kind of long...

First, the Maxima is very reliable, but there are a few "glitches" that are common and can be expensive if you aren't mechanical. My first one was absolutely perfect and I traded it in with 160K on it and ZERO problems. My second one has 145K on it now and it needed a new water pump, window regulator and currently has a minor stalling problem. I still drive it to work everyday and it hasn't failed me. I bought the car from my brother, who bought it with 60K and he didn't have any problems with it.

The Maxima is an awesome blend of luxury and performance, with a zippy engine, decent handling and room to seat four adults comfortably. I get about 25 mpg and I can outrun just about any Civic or Accord, unless they have spent big $$$ on the engine. Also, I don't know where you live, but Maximas have a limited slip differential and are front wheel drive, which helps a lot in snow/ice/rain. They also have a lot of cargo room and the interior fit and finish is superb. Plus, most Maxima owners (those that bought them new) service them regularly and take good care of the car.

The Fox Body Mustang GT (really 86-93, which are fuel injected) are excellent running cars. The fuel injected 302 is about the only decent motor Ford has ever made. A stock Mustang GT will barely outrun a stock Maxima in a drag race. A lot more torque and a little more horsepower (1988 GT -- 225 hp, 300lb ft torque), plus only two doors. With a few mods like gears, an upgraded exhaust an intake and a new H-pipe and you will run low 14s or high 13s in the quarter mile (A stock 88 is about 14.8 @ 95mph). All that would probably cost less than $1000 if you did some install yourself. Mods for a Mustang are relatively inexpensive and very easy to find. You can get a Mustang to absolutely fly (I'm talking 400+ HP) if you want to spend the money. In stock (or close to stock) form, you will get about 16 mpg in the city and about 25-28 mpg or so on the freeway, if you keep your foot away from the floor.

The biggest drawbacks to the Mustang are these: really only a two seater, since the back seat is tiny and uncomfortable (really bad in the convertible), rear wheel drive and light in the back (slips and slides easy in the rain, totally unbearable in the ice and snow), not very good with the creature comforts (they aren't as well built inside -- seats aren't as comfy, cheap plastic interior stuff, just not up to Nissan standards). Also, most people who buy Mustangs drive the crap out of them and usually don't take super good care of them.

If you get one, don't drive it in the snow. Expect to find one kind of beat up, but usually running good. Try to find an 88-93 GT or 5.0 LX (88-up have MAF instead of Speed Density). Prepare to get the "I wanna go faster" fever. BUY A 5-SPEED because the autos are really junky unless you spend big money to have them built right.

The Maxima is much better overall and is better for freeway driving. The Mustang is more fun to spin the tires, drag race and have that nice V8 rumble.

Good Luck
Old 08-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Every car has some quirks about it. Some minor, some not so minor. The 3rd gens have the exhaust stud issue and somewhat weak auto trannys, among other things. I agree with alot of what Red92 says about the driveability and fitmnet of the Max. Mine has 176K on it right now, and although I am having some tranny issues and stud issues, I can still feel the smoothness and power in it. Fortunately, mine was pretty well taken care of, and I personally know all of the owners since it was new, with records and all. Basically, though, the Max is an excellent car. I don't have anything against Mustangs ( I have a '66 myself) but I would doubt that you will find as many Mustang owners of the 86-93 era that can boast of plus-200K good running cars. Check this website out, and you'll find a ton of Max's that fit. Guess it just depends on what your priorities are.
Old 08-10-2003, 09:40 PM
This is a democracy

something ive come across with the maximas is the fuel injectors, the previous owner of my car didnt use the recomended octane rating and now im stuck replaceing fuel injectors. "SHE NEEDS PREMIUM...PREMIUM!!!!!!"
Old 08-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Way out West

LIke I've said before, Ford doesn't expect their cars to reach 100K, so they only make the odometer go to 99,999

I still think the HO 5.0 is a great motor. Not quite as good as the Nissan VG, VE, or VQ, though. That's just IMO
Old 08-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red92MaxSE
but Maximas have a limited slip differential

i believe very few maximas accualy have the lsd only some 92-94 have it
Old 08-11-2003, 02:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I live in louisiana so snow/ice wont really be an issue. Ive only seen snow twice lol. I have 2 ford ltd station wagons. One 1983 and one 1988. They both have automatic trans. and 5.0s but lol the 83 is blown and the 88 wont start. I never worked on it becouse i really dont want to be stuck driving a station wagon. So i will have 2 good automatic trans. To fall back on if i were to get a mustang. Plus a wealth of parts off the 2 wagons.

Well im 17 and whatever vehicle i get i will be going around 50-100 miles a day back and forth to school. i will be the only person in the car most of the time. Im not very mechanicaly inclined but i can replace simple things like alts/waterpumps/thermostats etc. Everything i can see i can pretty much replace. I dunno ive got another couple of months to think about it. Im 6'4 and i really like big cars like chevy caprice/ford ltd (non wagon style) but i run into problems like gas milage/reliability issues.
Old 08-11-2003, 06:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

he he he...good point about the ford odometer, Red.. Bottom line, I think, is that any car will last longer with regular maintenance. Given the fact that you will probably be getting a used car, the best you can do is look it over and try and get a good idea of how it's been maintained. No guarantees that you'll catch everything, but do your best. Maybe have someone else you trust take a look at it too. Try and set aside some cash every month for repair and maintenance expenses. Sounds like you have parts availability with the mustang route, so maybe that's best for you in the short term. If you do get a Max, though, I would recommend the 5sp over the auto, like other folks here. Just my .02..
Old 08-11-2003, 07:08 AM

to nudge you along the maxima lines, i'll give you some info....I'm currently at 206000 miles on my 91se 5Spd. I have had the transmission rebuilt at about 130k in december 2001 at a huge cost but that was due to my stupidity. Since then, I have put 76k miles on it without the car ever "not-starting" in the morning. Regular maintenance with lifetime warranty on most parts and i'm pretty secure keeping the car for another 100k God willing. Sometimes, she doesnt feel at her peak but that happens rarely. The fact is it would cost me more getting a new car than keeping my maxima which takes me all over the country. Be ready to spend some big bucks within your first year of ownership, but dont go all out burning cash on unnecessary stuff as soon as you get it....it'll come back and bite you later. Just replace the usual stuff that's bound to go bad quickly or that's known to get faulty and you'll be fine. gl with whatever you choose.
Old 08-11-2003, 11:34 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

I guess i should consider myself lucky. I own a 93 SE 5spd. The car is quick and very reliable. When my 2nd child finally sees her last highway i WILL be buying another maxima with no doughts in my mind !
Old 08-11-2003, 12:12 PM

I bought a 92SE about a year ago and I love it. The only things I've HAD to replace on it was the alternator and fuel pump. I've also done a lot of other stuff to it to take care of it and because I don't know if it was takencare of good before I bought it. I myself went to college to learn about cars, so I knew what I was getting myself into. Like others have said, you can take a mechanic or someone you trust with you to check it out. If you don't know the mechanical condition of it when you get a car, I personally would change the oil, check plugs...ect. It wouldn't hurt. Anyway, good luck.
Old 08-11-2003, 01:10 PM
89GXE

My opinion is go for the Maxima, mine had 203,000 on it when I
killed her (rearended a Prelude) neither I nor my fiance
(now wife) were injured and the stucture of the car was not hurt.
However I was unemployed shortly after the accident and had no
money to fix it . She ran great,me being a Nissan technician at
the time helped that,but the third gen Max is as solid as a granite
floor and I would love to have another one. But let me also give
you another option, the guy who suggested Corrolas and Sentras had
a good point but he also missed a good car. The 1986-1989 Honda
( enter cursing here ) Accords ( ditto ) are good solid reliable
and sorta fast car (alot faster than that Sentra). I drive one now
and it is five years older than my wifes 93 Eclipse but is also
a lot better better car and gets good gas mileage (35 hwy) So to
summarize if you can get one get a Max but don't overlook a decent
Corolla Sentra or Accord if you come accross one. My Accord has