3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

speaker bracket advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 09:34 PM

speaker bracket advice

I've been trying to fit my 6x9's in my stock 4x6.5 opening. I cant find a 93 SE to pull out the brackets and every car audio speciality store here has never heard of any kit that can adapt a larger speaker to fit a smaller hole. On guy told me to cut a piece of wood with a hole in the middle and use that. The only problem is that there are metal hinges and wires in the way so thats not possible.

So this is what i am trying to do. I cut 4 thin pieces of wood and they will be bolted together like a number sign.. #
The top two pieces will bolt to the holes in the car while the bottom two will bolt to the aftermarket speakers. Does this sound sturdy enough to survive?

Old 08-13-2003, 08:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you sohuld just beable to move any wires out of the way and use a single piece of wood because idea my not be stong enogh although i dont know for sure if a 6x9 will fit in the front door anyway
Old 08-13-2003, 10:17 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

or you can just buy the bose adapter from someone on here that has one. I have some I will sell you...how is $25 shipped?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:48 PM

I am installing the 6x9's in the back and I dont want to use a bose adapter.
The wires that are in the way is a think metal rod, not a wire. It is part of the trunk opening mechanism, so I dont think i can just move it out of the way.

It would be impossible to get 1 piece of wood to work as this rod would get in the way of some of the screw holes.

Anyone have a pic of the bracket that comes with a 93 max SE ?
Old 08-14-2003, 05:51 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by adroga
I am installing the 6x9's in the back and I dont want to use a bose adapter.
The wires that are in the way is a think metal rod, not a wire. It is part of the trunk opening mechanism, so I dont think i can just move it out of the way.

It would be impossible to get 1 piece of wood to work as this rod would get in the way of some of the screw holes.

Anyone have a pic of the bracket that comes with a 93 max SE ?
I dont understand what you want. You say you want the bracket that comes with the 93 max SE but you dont want the bose bracket...what the heck do you think the bose adapter is?

ALL SEs come with the Bose 6x9 in the rear. It is a plastic adapter that bolts up to the rear deck and CLEARS the trunk rods. That is the piece I am saying I will sell...Matter of fact they came out of a 93SE.

There is no adapter for the rear for the max EXCEPT the bose adapter/6x9 mount.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:49 AM

I would just spend the money and buy it from Mike. That way it will look good also, rather than having your 6x9 attached to a big wooden number sign.
my .02
Old 08-14-2003, 07:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

first it says that theres a 4x6.5 opening im not to sure what that is but i thought the non bose systems had a 6.5 and if thats true your going to have to ether biuld up the back deck or cut out some of the back deck bvut if your hitting the trunk rods your going to have to go up
Old 08-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by subs1000w
first it says that theres a 4x6.5 opening im not to sure what that is but i thought the non bose systems had a 6.5 and if thats true your going to have to ether biuld up the back deck or cut out some of the back deck bvut if your hitting the trunk rods your going to have to go up

correct the non bose speakers are 6.5" (actually I think its an odd number like 6.75 or something) round speaker.

In order for them to put the 6x9 bose speakers in along with the amps they use a plastic adapter that goes under the deck and clears the trunk support rods.

The hole is still 6.5 even in the Bose equiped cars but the bracket puts the speaker under the deck and out of the way.

Its not that hard guys...mount the adapter in the car and put a 6x9 in...thats really all there is too it. No since in cutting the deck or makeing a crappy wooden adapter.

If you think $25 shipped for both 6x9 adapters is too much then you havent tried to buy any.

I swear some people want to make some things harder than they should be.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by awsm66

Its not that hard guys...mount the adapter in the car and put a 6x9 in...thats really all there is too it. No since in cutting the deck or makeing a crappy wooden adapter.

If you think $25 shipped for both 6x9 adapters is too much then you havent tried to buy any.

Abso-freakin-lutely! For $25 (shipped) it wouldn't be worth my time, let alone materials to try and fab up some mounts. THese things bolt to the back deck of ANY Gen3 and provide a well engineered space to mount your 6x9 speakers. It just doesn't get any easier.

Here's a picture of a Harmon Kardon 6x9 mounted to the Bose Adapter in my Gen3

And NO, I'm NOT using the Bose amps to power them!

Check it out and BUY the dang adapters.....
Old 08-14-2003, 01:46 PM

Old 08-14-2003, 03:52 PM

Geee.... I made the simple mistake of misunderstanding what you meant by bose adapter. I thought you were talking about the adapter to install with an aftermarket HU so it will work with the bose speakers.

Sorry for the confusion.

For 25$ I would definitely be interested, but the only prob is that i am in canada, what part of the us are you located?

Once again, sorry for setting myself up for the flaming.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:01 PM

What part of Canada? I take it you're notin the area without electricity.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally posted by adroga
Geee.... I made the simple mistake of misunderstanding what you meant by bose adapter. I thought you were talking about the adapter to install with an aftermarket HU so it will work with the bose speakers.

Sorry for the confusion.

For 25$ I would definitely be interested, but the only prob is that i am in canada, what part of the us are you located?

Once again, sorry for setting myself up for the flaming.
I wasnt flaming you...I was trying to figure out what you wanted and didnt understand why you didnt want to use the bose adapter but wanted the adapter for a 93SE. I was just a little confused and then subs came in saying stuff that wasnt right so I responded to him.

anyway its all straight now...email me at michael-h@comcast.net and we can discuss how to get it to you in Canada if your interested...I will also get you some pictures too. I have never shipped anything there but it cant be that much different. If its only a couple bucks more to ship it then I want charge you any more but if its like $10 more or so I will charge you a little extra (dont want to spend all of the $25 on shipping) I kinda doubt it will be that much different.

Just let me know if your interested.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:34 PM

and we can discuss how to get it to you in Canada if your interested...I will also get you some pictures too. I have never shipped anything there but it cant be that much different. If its only a couple bucks more to ship it then I want charge you any more but if its like $10 more or so I will charge you a little extra (dont want to spend all of the $25 on shipping) I kinda doubt it will be that much different.

Just let me know if your interested.
Just use USPS. If you use UPS or FedEx you'll get dinged by Canadian customs for extra money. Even sending the two adapters (without the electronic guts!) USPS Priority 2nd day shouldn't be more then $8. Regular mail should be about $4-5