3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Any good info about Maaco paint jobs??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 10:00 PM

Any good info about Maaco paint jobs??

I know you get what you pay for, but is it possible for them to do a good paint job?

I mean, how can they stay in business if all their jobs suck?
Old 08-18-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: Any good info about Maaco paint jobs??

Originally posted by veejayes
I know you get what you pay for, but is it possible for them to do a good paint job?

I mean, how can they stay in business if all their jobs suck?

Ok I to always heard they do carp *** paint jobs which is true if you compare it to the other shops that do paint jobs for around 3k. You see me and my friend went through the same problem on his 1988 trans am he needed a paint job but didnt have enough money so we went around to differnt places asking and all the guys at the shops that charge around 3k to do the work told us that macco paint jobs are ok but the trick is for you to sand it down and prime it so then you just go to them and they spray it for you. So the best bet is for you to sand it down and take your time doing it make sure you do a great job then prime it and then get it sprayed at macco and it comes out look good not bad

oh by the way since your going to be doing the sanding and primeing there not going to give you any warrenty with the jod they do for you but who the hell wants there warrenty anyways
Old 08-18-2003, 11:18 PM

search on paint jobs, already discussed, i posted up a few thoughts. there was another alternative paint place called Earls, and they agreentee the work for 5 years
Old 08-18-2003, 11:24 PM

its like this....if you don't want to spend a bunch of money...get the maaco, its not a bad bad paint job...i think they do like 2 coats of paint and 1 coat of clear (for the cheap cheap)..it definately won't look like a $3k paint job, but if your paint was faded or oxydized like mine, its somewhat of an improvement...doesn't really look to bad. i got a "so called" maaco paint job when my car got an accident since they where gonna paint it and fix the damage for the same price....i could tell they just painted over my factory color though, no primer!!!
Old 08-18-2003, 11:31 PM

if you got into an accident and the insurance co or some one other than your pocket, ywhy didnt you go to a good place to have it fix andlet them suffer in costs
Old 08-19-2003, 07:12 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
if you got into an accident and the insurance co or some one other than your pocket, ywhy didnt you go to a good place to have it fix andlet them suffer in costs
err maybe it was his fault and he's only covered by liability?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

IMO if the car is prepped properly any Macco or Earl Schieb job will last you...its not gonna be mega top notch and flashy as a $1000+ or so job. it all depends on who does iit and how well its done. my old Max was done at Earl Schieb $500 w/ 5 year warranty, BEAT THAT!!! ...not one complaint, the paint on the front end even held tight after I crashed the SOB!
Old 08-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by DA-MAX
IMO if the car is prepped properly any Macco or Earl Schieb job will last you...its not gonna be mega top notch and flashy as a $1000+ or so job. it all depends on who does iit and how well its done. my old Max was done at Earl Schieb $500 w/ 5 year warranty, BEAT THAT!!! ...not one complaint, the paint on the front end even held tight after I crashed the SOB!
how many runs did u find in the paint?
Old 08-19-2003, 08:01 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally posted by DanNY
how many runs did u find in the paint?
surprisingly only on the front front passenger door had some runs and overspray....I put it back in the next day and they re-did it. only thing that ****ed me off is they painted my grille, that I had told them to leave alone
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 PM

Earl Schieb huh? I believe I have one near me. At first, I was going to go with Maaco, but I think I may check them out. Anything is better than the faded charcoal on my '92.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i got my car painted at maaco.. the important thing with them is whether or not you know the painters or the owners.. i knew the owner so they didn't do just any average job.. but if you are going in anonymously and going for a cheap price.. well you'll get a cheap job.. but if you're not going to some show then big deal.. just make sure you talk to them and make sure they prep real well and clear coat it real well
Old 08-20-2003, 12:05 AM

Originally posted by crazy4maxima
believe you me, i tried....i got estimates from many body shops, but it all boiled down to what their ins. co's estimater said.....at best, i could only get about $100-200 over their estimate!!! lets not forget i came here askin for advice on how to "go to a good place to have it fix andlet them suffer in costs"...but i got responses on thats why premiums are so high now, this and that, etc!!!!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:13 AM

MAACO IS CRAP!!
Old 08-20-2003, 08:54 AM
youngbleek85

IS there a Earl Schieb on Long Island in NY. I was also going to do the maazo paint job but you can't beat a 5-year warranty so let me know if there is one in NY.

Old 08-20-2003, 09:09 AM

I visited the local Earl Schieb shop to see what they have. Quess what? They have their best job (Pro3) on sale for $299. The regular price is $499. Even better yet, the manager was very honest and helpful. He admited that he cannot come close to a $1000-$3000 paint job. Luckily, there were several police cars (unmarked vehicles that were repainted) and a nice pickup truck that was represenative of what I was looking at. I have to admit, the job was not that bad! Heck, I will remove the corner and headlights, mud flaps, etc to help with the prep. The guy even said that he would throw in an extra clear coat layer for $30. Since the sale will be going on until next Friday, I have time to do some preparation.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:47 AM
STFU n00b!

they may look fine now, but ask to see customers that had their car done a year or two ago.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:54 AM
Zog

Please post pics after you have it done. My girl's old 200sx is looking pretty crappy, if i get her a paint job she'll hold on to the car for another year or two.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah please post pics. I am planning on getting my car painted at Maaco or Earl Schieb because I dont have 1000-3000 and I only plan on keeping it through the winter and then hopefully I can afford a 4th gen. So let me know what it looks like so that I can decide.
Old 08-20-2003, 10:29 PM
Way out West

This advice is for someone planning on keeping their car.

I would suggest trying to find a shop that uses PPG paints. If you spend a little extra, all of their paint except Omni has a lifetime warranty. Do all of the prep work yourself and ask how much just to paint the car. If you shop around, you can get a pretty good deal. I found a shop that would do it for $500 (this was on an 89 Celica convertible), including good paint and clear. It's not as good a deal as MAACO, but 100X the results. Also, if you pay extra for top-of-the-line clearcoat (base coat-clear coat is more expensive, but looks better), your car can look like a show car, if painted and buffed properly.

If you are getting rid of your car soon, at least be kind enough to do some prep work yourself, so MAACO doesn't destroy your 3rd gen with a raggedy paint job
Old 08-21-2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by Matt93SE
they may look fine now, but ask to see customers that had their car done a year or two ago.
True. I have thought of that, but with a 6-year guarantee, I figured how could I go wrong. Worse come to worse, I will just get the car painted again at a better shop with better paint. The most I will loose is about $350-$400.

My Sony MVC-CD 300 died on me. As soon as I get a replacement MVC-CD 500 , I will try to post before and after pics--If I decided to go through with it.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:38 AM

Originally posted by DARHAW-MAX
I visited the local Earl Schieb shop to see what they have. Quess what? They have their best job (Pro3) on sale for $299. The regular price is $499. Even better yet, the manager was very honest and helpful. He admited that he cannot come close to a $1000-$3000 paint job. Luckily, there were several police cars (unmarked vehicles that were repainted) and a nice pickup truck that was represenative of what I was looking at. I have to admit, the job was not that bad! Heck, I will remove the corner and headlights, mud flaps, etc to help with the prep. The guy even said that he would throw in an extra clear coat layer for $30. Since the sale will be going on until next Friday, I have time to do some preparation.
I have seen a few Maaco paint jobs that looked descent. If the vehicles would be wetsanded and buffed afterward, it would probably have looked almost real good. As far as Earl's, my Grandmother had the cheapest paint job from them and it lasted easily 5 years, and her car had never been washed in that time span.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by jwhite
. . . As far as Earl's, my Grandmother had the cheapest paint job from them and it lasted easily 5 years, and her car had never been washed in that time span.
Earl's=
Maaco's=:
Old 08-21-2003, 01:13 PM
dancer

Plenty of opinions already so here's a tragic comedy story about Earl Scheib. I had them paint a Fiat 124 convertible several years ago; I sanded and masked everything then drove it to their shop. Since the Earl Scheib red paint was a different shade, I asked them to paint the door jambs. They adjusted the price upward and assured me it would be done. I didn't mask the jambs because, of course I had to drive it there. You, guessed it - they painted the jambs all right - they just opened the doors and started spraying. After a couple of weeks (and a lot of laquer thinner) I got most of it off the glass and vinyl but it ruined the wood varnished dash board.

Old 08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

I guess it all depends on the shop that does your car,because if some say yes they did a good job on my car and others are complaining about the theres then i guess it depends on were u go.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:10 PM
youngbleek85

Originally posted by dancer
Plenty of opinions already so here's a tragic comedy story about Earl Scheib. I had them paint a Fiat 124 convertible several years ago; I sanded and masked everything then drove it to their shop. Since the Earl Scheib red paint was a different shade, I asked them to paint the door jambs. They adjusted the price upward and assured me it would be done. I didn't mask the jambs because, of course I had to drive it there. You, guessed it - they painted the jambs all right - they just opened the doors and started spraying. After a couple of weeks (and a lot of laquer thinner) I got most of it off the glass and vinyl but it ruined the wood varnished dash board.

Old 08-21-2003, 08:25 PM
youngbleek85

Originally posted by dancer

Did the paint job that they did on your convertible come out good. like from 1-10 how would you rate it. And also doesn't any one know is there is a Earl Paint job place in NY somewhere. Maybe on Long Island??

Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 PM

thats another thing with these cheap shops too.....they really don't care where they get paint.....i had thin films of paint on all of my windows.....they didn't mask the grill, so what was my clean engine bay got all kind of paint residue on it....i know have factory rims and they are not all that hot, but they used to shine until they sprayed a thin layer of paint and clear coat on them!!! of course i b!tched about most of the stuff and they went back to handle it.......did the engine bay myself since i didn't want them touchin that and the rims, lets just say they claim its brake dust that won't come off for ****!!! i didn't even feel like arguin and leavin my car there so i took it!!! but make sure you tell them to cover your grill and your wheels or you'll be leavin your car with them longer so they can clean up their mistakes, unless you want to do it yourself!!
Old 08-22-2003, 12:41 AM

Yeah, that is what I plan on doing. Prior to dropping my car off, I am going to remove the corner and headlights along with the grill and mud flaps. As for the wheels, I have the standard, OEM, ugly-as-heck SE wheels that I plan on using as full size spares sometime in the near future. If I have the time, I will try to be there when they mask of the rest of the car so that I can "assist."
Old 08-22-2003, 09:31 PM

Yea, went to Maaco today, the guy was the manager and was prety "real" with me.

Told me a "good" job would be $1100...then an extra $600 for a wet sand to make it look REAL good.

What a homo.

I told him I would STRIP the car, all lights, trim, and moldings...even prime and sand it.

He still said a GOOD job, the way I wanted it to look would be $900, if I did all that myself.

Then I could wet sand it with 1600-grit paper, then buff it out and "glaze" or "wax" it.

So bottom line_____YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR>

While I was there, some lady got her car back. She was pi$$ed cuz the hood wasn't as shiny as the rest.

There was a mid-90's Accord that was painted too...OVERSPRAY EVERYWHERE...On the tailights and even windshield. Didnt even paint the underside of the bumpers.

BLAH
Old 08-23-2003, 09:33 AM

I got my Iroc done at macco and it came out great as long as you do all the prep work yourself. Check out my homepage link to the left. My Iroc pictures are on page 3.
Old 08-23-2003, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by mikesmaximase
I got my Iroc done at macco and it came out great as long as you do all the prep work yourself. Check out my homepage link to the left. My Iroc pictures are on page 3.

Are those 17" American Racing AR95 rims? PepBoys has those for sale for $121/ea. I was wondering what they would look like on my Charcoal SE.
Old 08-23-2003, 11:47 PM

where is this Earl Schieb shop...im a queens,ny resident in dying need for a paint job...