3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Warning ...Paeco not as good as we thought

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 04:27 PM

Warning ...Paeco not as good as we thought

well as some of you might know.. i am rebuilding my engine in my 91 se max. and i got most of my parts from Paeco industries. i have read many threads involving people wishing they could have that and that for there max when the look at paecos catalogy. well i took it the step further and ordered my cams to be done, new pistons & rods, and new inner&outer vavle springs, and retainers. first off i would like to say that it took much too long for everything to get in. second when i got most of the order i brought them to the machine shop that was doing the work to my engine, they said that the retainers not only were wrong but they were made very very very poorly. they were made out of some really crappy aluminum that would have gotten eaten up not too long after i ran the engine. third the "new" inner&outer valve springs were glass beaded. and they were supposed to be ballpeened but they were glasspeened instead. but other than being peened wrong which infact does make a difference the springs are ok. after i found that the retainers were totally wrong and were pieces of **** and the springs that i got were not peened correctly we called them and told them that there were wrong and i wanted my money back. and when we told him that the springs were peened wrong he told me that i didnt know what i was talking about and said thats what it looks like when they are ballpeened. when the guys at the machine shop told me that they werent ballpeened and there were glasspeened. anyway to make this shorter, i sent the retainers and the guides that i was told i needed back, they called the next day to tell me that i couldnt get my money back i would get store credit and i said i might not ever do business with you again.
so to sum it all up they dont sell as good of a product as they say they do and also thier customer service isnt great at all. and on top of it all thier prices suck, they over charge for the pistons and rods. the only thing i havent had a problem with that i got from them have been my cams that i sent to them to get growd. so before ordering anything from them if you deside too, check around and look at good companys first and talk to your local performance machine shop or performance shop and tak to them and see if they can find something for cheaper becuase either way from paeco or not to get internals for the 3rd gens its going to be made custom. its not as expensive as you think as long as you talk to people that know what they are doing. well its long and if you have any questions about good or bad companys when it come to internals PM me or email me.
Old 08-21-2003, 04:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: Warning ...Paeco not as good as we thought

that sucks....I always agreed that their prices were WAAAAAY up there, but half the stuff they make/sell for the VG can be had from somewhere else for less anyways.

Originally posted by Turbo91max either way from paeco or not to get internals for the 3rd gens its going to be made custom.
the above is not entirely true...BRC, ARIS and one other company I can't remember make off shelf VG30E/ET pistons(8.5:1s and 9:1 forged). Personally I'd have gone BRC, widely used in the Z31 community and get pretty good reviews. also Eagle makes H-beam rods, but as for buying rods thats not to necessary, the VG rods should hold big power with some heat treating, etc. "off-shelf" VG internals are out there, you just have to look
Old 08-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

thank you for the warning.

noted.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:41 PM

paeco

Your post was right on time as I have the cataloge as we speak and I was about to call them on Fri. to find out what it would cost to have my engine modified to at least 300hp. I had a short conversation with someone there earlier this year that informed me I would need the stage 2 upgrade with a stroker kit.

I don't remember the approx cost but it was over $7,000.

I was plannning on getting a 2000/1 740i sport, but decided to wait for a while and use some of the money and truly modify my 93 SE. I even started looking for a POS car to move around in till the work was being done. (I was told 3 months)

I was truly mapping this plan out (cost of crating,shipping, the whole nine, buying a digital camera to take picture of this whole engine upgrade thing to post and prove to everyone that this thing is for real and no BS. I look on the org and I see your post and now I'm a little concerned because I am not about to take chances with someone that will give me some BS when there is a mistake. I which I had resources to check in NYC as I would rather have this done locally, but I've only come across this company and one other from research on the org. I want a true professional job done that can bebacked up with dyno numbers. I am FAR from an expert which is why I looking for someone with a good reputation of doing good work.

Thanks again for your post, I think I'm going to look a little harder for someone else to do this work.

I'm truly sorry about your situation as well. Wish you luck on a positive solution.

All the best,

93SE5SPNY

P.S. For those of you that think I'm crazy for wanting to put so much money in a 93 Maxima, I forgive you. People spend a whole lot more for a lot less car. I think it would be worth it.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:58 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Re: paeco

300FWHP, is that turbo or non-turbo? you're not surprised by the $7k price are you?
Old 08-21-2003, 09:14 PM

paeco

I'm not surprised at all. In fact it's was what I expected. I want true performance and I expect it will cost. This would be a non turbo engine.

Since a supercharger is out of the question and a turbo from my search leaves me questioning it's longevity and possibility, I figured it could be accomplished the old fashioned way: complete engine hardware like the people that accomplish those crazy numbers with a BMW engine. Cams. pistons, heads, etc.

I read and talk to people that put alot more money into Hondas, VW, and others. Why not a Maxima? I'm not selling and it will be one of those cars that's rare. I love performance and I'm sure you know in the perfomance game you have to pay to play.

I'm really going to work hard to make this happen. Talk is one thing, everybody does it. But doing it with pictures and numbers to back it up is another.

I am just making sure I can find someone with a good enough rep to do it. I'm hoping to start this around about Nov/Dec.

All the best,

93SE5SPNY
Old 08-21-2003, 09:43 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

squeezing 300 N/A out of the VE is gonna be a task. estimate after full bolt-ons are added that leaves you with around 100+ or so whp to gain, good luck
Old 08-21-2003, 10:23 PM

hey guys thanks for the responds.. where are you located 93SE5SPNY? im in CT and the machine shop that is working on engine now even though i brought my stuff to them .. they do really really good work with nissan engines. they can do alot and do a really god job at the same time they can get expensive but to be honest with you i would have rather let them do all the work and order all the parts from the people they know then let me do it. this place i am talking about makes race cars and does fuel management systems and ****.. they do alot of big money stuff and they know everything to know about everything and everyone in the business .. and im not joking either. i can get you some info if you are interested. let me know the name of the company is Kiwi Engineering. they are in my town, they work with caliway and **** they do some crazy ****. let me know if you want some info on the place.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:53 AM

Paeco

Da Max, you may be right. I was looking at a post from someone that had a link to a 300HP engine for a Max. I believe it was from some company that started with the letter H. Also after talking to someone from Paeco, they said it is possible. I am willing to see if it truly is possible.

Like I said I am far from knowing what can truly be done with this engine, but I truly believe there is potential for this engine.

Maybe Matt or Jeff can shed a little light on the subject concerning the ability to take it 300HP or close, I truly respect their imput on a variety of subjects on the org. They have helped me solve a number of issues concerning my car from the search method and direct response.

Turbo 91 MAX, I am in NYC and I would LOVE to check out the place in CT. See someone face to face and get the possiblities discussed concerning this project. If I am asking of too much from this car then, at least I would know ahead of time before dropping a brick of money for something that wasn't possible in the first place.

Thanks for the help towards info. I wish you well on your project as well.

All the best,
93SE5SPNY
Old 08-22-2003, 05:04 AM

im in CT and the machine shop that is working on engine now even though i brought my stuff to them .. they do really really good work with nissan engines. this place i am talking about makes race cars and does fuel management systems and ****.. they do alot of big money stuff and they know everything to know about everything and everyone in the business .. and im not joking either. i can get you some info if you are interested. let me know the name of the company is Kiwi Engineering.

Kiwi Engineering? Sounds like an expat New Zealander involved here so you can bet the work's gonna be good!
The Brits like us Kiwi's when we work in the "old country" as we know how to work - unlike the Brits.
Good luck with the rebuild
Old 08-22-2003, 03:45 PM

yeah the owner is from NZ and he was brought over by caliway to work on there million dollar cars. so he knows his crap. and if you want some info 93SE5SPNY let me know.. i will talk to you about anything ... VE and 300hp is possible. and probably not too much work either.. maybe a good amount a money but definitly worth it.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

300hp NA in the VE30DE is gonna take alot of work! Hell 300hp with a turbo wouldn't exactly be easy either!
Displacement: you are lucky we have iron blocks. More displacement will help the torque value.
Compression: even though we have a pretty high compression, you will have to up it some more probably.
Cams: Here's the bread and butter. You will NEED some serious cams. Who?? I have no idea. But billet ones are probably mandatory and I don't want to think about the cost.
With the cams/compression, you will need a set of adjustable cam gears. Exhaust side would be easy. How to re-index the varible cam intake cam is ????? to me. Maybe have the indexing pin in the gear moved a few degrees over.
Of course you are going to need pistons/rods/crank that's up to the duty. And have those balanced/blueprinted, etc.
Fuel: to support 300hp, count on requiring higher flow injectors.
ECU: gonna need a completely reworked ecu(to work with the comp/injectors/cam timing/etc) . Call JWT, bend over and open the wallet.

Even then, IF YOU DID EVERYTHING PERFECT, get the cam grinds/timing/ecu right, You might get 300hp (flywheel) IF you spin the living COOCHIE out of it. ie.. 7600-8000 rpm.

Did I mention that you are now in the hole for an estimated $3000-$5000? Don't forget the $500+ in dyno time and ecu reburns to get everything right.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:44 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Cliff Notes...dis shiz gon b mad hard yo fo reel and gonna cost mad crazy chedda yo

Originally posted by Jeff92se
300hp NA in the VE30DE is gonna take alot of work! Hell 300hp with a turbo wouldn't exactly be easy either!
Displacement: you are lucky we have iron blocks. More displacement will help the torque value.
Compression: even though we have a pretty high compression, you will have to up it some more probably.
Cams: Here's the bread and butter. You will NEED some serious cams. Who?? I have no idea. But billet ones are probably mandatory and I don't want to think about the cost.
With the cams/compression, you will need a set of adjustable cam gears. Exhaust side would be easy. How to re-index the varible cam intake cam is ????? to me. Maybe have the indexing pin in the gear moved a few degrees over.
Of course you are going to need pistons/rods/crank that's up to the duty. And have those balanced/blueprinted, etc.
Fuel: to support 300hp, count on requiring higher flow injectors.
ECU: gonna need a completely reworked ecu(to work with the comp/injectors/cam timing/etc) . Call JWT, bend over and open the wallet.

Even then, IF YOU DID EVERYTHING PERFECT, get the cam grinds/timing/ecu right, You might get 300hp (flywheel) IF you spin the living COOCHIE out of it. ie.. 7600-8000 rpm.

Did I mention that you are now in the hole for an estimated $3000-$5000? Don't forget the $500+ in dyno time and ecu reburns to get everything right.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:54 PM

Paeco

Thanks for the imput Jeff. I figured it would cost a couple of bank jobs to pull it off. I am budgeting 6 to 7k for the job which is why I really wanted to do this right and map this out.

That's why it's so important to have the right people do it. I'm not looking to sell the house to see if it could hopefully be pulled off, I want to know how it will be accomplished and what am I trully getting out of this project.

Once again, I'm not an expert but I get the general aspect of what it would basically need to be done which is pretty much what you were saying Jeff, thanks again. It will take some work,but I will only do it with someone who understands what I am trying to accomplish seriously and not treat me like some herb looking to impress a few friends. Although yes I would probably show off to a "few" friends.

My thoughts were not as concise as to how Jeff explained it, but I was thinking something along those lines.
Thanks again!!

For now I have to take on the mighty job of changing my compressor as I have no AC and after today stuck in traffic with 90 plus degrees, I am going to try to put this thing in myself since my mechanic is out sick and I'd like to save a few pennies. Off to the search function for compressor installation....

Thanks,

Turbo91max, I'm going to PM you and maybe you can pass that info on to me about your source. Thanks for your help!

All the best,
93SE5SPNY
Old 08-22-2003, 11:44 PM

look.. with the DOHC engine .. to port & polish it and to have big valves and cams with give you a really good boost. and to have that done is not too bad in the pocket, pistons & rods are the things that are going to be $$ JE pistons and eagle rods. higher compression, a nice over bore..nothing too crazy, dont need a new crank as long as the original one is in good condition.you might want to knife edge it if you want to get crazy but not needed, flywheel, and pulley. ecu can be reprogramed. dont need bigger injectors the ones that are stock can do just fine. that whole cam thing is the only real problem and if you have someone that is working on your engine that is good, they can figure it out. with an excaust and intake... with all that, you should be almost 300hp if not 300hp. it would still go like hell. balancing is cheap. blueprinting is the expensive one but not always needed. definatly can be done for what your budget.
Old 08-23-2003, 02:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah, their products aren't worth it. john at j&h racing ordered a flywheel for a rx-7 and the flywheels are supposed to come with holes so you can put balancing pins in them (or something along those lines). they weren't there. he called up paeco and they said that you had to rebalance the engine which is total b.s. you shouldn't have to rebalance the engine.
Old 08-23-2003, 05:10 PM
MILLENIUM MAX

What about the drive shafts would the be able to substain the amount of power and torque that you wanna put down to the wheels?

Old 08-23-2003, 09:31 PM

yeah they could be reenforced.. there is a company in NY that does it. i cant remember the name of the company though. but that isnt a big deal really... its not that expensive either.