3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Mis-matched Struts

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 10:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Mis-matched Struts

Ok guys here's my situation. Picked up a '90 GXE in March for my son. He get's his license in Dec. I'm driving it now and love it! The rear struts needed to be replaced to pass inspection and the factory elect. adjustable stuts were used. Now the front stuts need replacing and I'm wondering if I need to use factory stuts or can save money using the Tokico's. Questions:
- Will the Tokico's give the same ride as factory struts?
- If so how should I terminate the electrical connections for the front struts; or just tape 'em off and zip tie out of the way?
Tokico's are $190/pair. I have a quote request into Courtesy Nissan. I hear they're about $500/pair.

NEXT QUESTION...AUDIO RELATED:
In the process of installing a system. Like to mount the amp on/off switch to the left of the stearing wheel next to the cruise control. There's a switch blank there now probably for fog lights. Is there a switch that goes right in it's place? And, how difficult is it to remove that part of the dash?

As usual...all experiences and opinions are always welcome and greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2003, 10:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Re: Mis-matched Struts

Originally posted by tucker
Ok guys here's my situation. Picked up a '90 GXE in March for my son. He get's his license in Dec. I'm driving it now and love it! The rear struts needed to be replaced to pass inspection and the factory elect. adjustable stuts were used. Now the front stuts need replacing and I'm wondering if I need to use factory stuts or can save money using the Tokico's. Questions:
- Will the Tokico's give the same ride as factory struts?
- If so how should I terminate the electrical connections for the front struts; or just tape 'em off and zip tie out of the way?
Tokico's are $190/pair. I have a quote request into Courtesy Nissan. I hear they're about $500/pair.

NEXT QUESTION...AUDIO RELATED:
In the process of installing a system. Like to mount the amp on/off switch to the left of the stearing wheel next to the cruise control. There's a switch blank there now probably for fog lights. Is there a switch that goes right in it's place? And, how difficult is it to remove that part of the dash?

As usual...all experiences and opinions are always welcome and greatly appreciated!
you can use the toks...you'll lose the factory adjusting feature.
you can just take them and move them out of the way.

if you want to get fancy you can get a fog light switch and wire the turn on lead from the radio to that.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:58 AM
STFU n00b!

you shouldn't even need an amp on/off switch. connect the remote lead from the amp to the antenna lead on the head unit.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:11 PM

The amp switch can be quite useful... I have one so that when I roll through a town or I'm driving at night I can just flip the switch and not disturb anyone and not have to turn off my music... In my town we have an ordinace that if your car stereo can be heard from a distance of 60 feet or more then you can get a ticket for disturbing the peace... I havent gotten a ticket yet using my amp switch... and my subs can be heard from way more than 60 feet away. The switch installation Isnt very difficult, just put it inline on the remote lead from the amp to the headunit... I don't know how hard the fog light switchis to get out, but I put mine under the ashtray in the little square access panel just infront of the shifter, it works pretty well there, you just have to remember to remove the switch if you want to pull the panel around the radio...
Old 08-22-2003, 12:37 PM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally posted by Ninty-two-se
The amp switch can be quite useful... I have one so that when I roll through a town or I'm driving at night I can just flip the switch and not disturb anyone and not have to turn off my music... In my town we have an ordinace that if your car stereo can be heard from a distance of 60 feet or more then you can get a ticket for disturbing the peace... I havent gotten a ticket yet using my amp switch... and my subs can be heard from way more than 60 feet away. The switch installation Isnt very difficult, just put it inline on the remote lead from the amp to the headunit... I don't know how hard the fog light switchis to get out, but I put mine under the ashtray in the little square access panel just infront of the shifter, it works pretty well there, you just have to remember to remove the switch if you want to pull the panel around the radio...
new concept...turning down the volume?
Old 08-22-2003, 12:45 PM

Yea, I need the switch. Like to listen to the head unit when not driving. Nice not to worry about running down the battery.
Old 08-22-2003, 12:46 PM

my subs are loud at low volume too, plus my head unit has buttons for the volume, not a dial, so it takes along time to turn the volume down, time that could distract me and cause an accident, its hella easy to just reach down and flip the switch, easier than messin with the volume
Old 08-22-2003, 12:54 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally posted by Ninty-two-se
my subs are loud at low volume too, plus my head unit has buttons for the volume, not a dial, so it takes along time to turn the volume down, time that could distract me and cause an accident, its hella easy to just reach down and flip the switch, easier than messin with the volume
Which is why a rotary volume control **** is very underrated.

It's something I always look for when buying a h/u. I absolutely HATE having to push a stupid button 50 times repeatedly to mess with the volume.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:05 PM
STFU n00b!

hmmm.. strange.. mine has a mute button on it. very useful.
If you're driving around with it that loud, then you SHOULD be getting a ticket. just because you don't get caught doesnt mean you weren't doing anything wrong- just like speeding.

And you shouldn't have an overwhelming amount of bass if the system was built right. bass is meant to compliment the rest of the music, not vice versa.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:19 PM

Originally posted by DanNY

new concept...turning down the volume?
The amp will drain the battery with the volume on "0"
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by tucker

The amp will drain the battery with the volume on "0"
the amp draws less than half an amp of current while sitting at idle (unless it's a Class A amp, then it'll draw about 80% of it's full power current at idle).. if you hook the remote lead to the remote out lead on the stereo, then when you turn the stereo off, it'll turn the amp off. They were designed that way for a reason.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:45 PM

sub level control should be standerd on all radios except its not and some people dont do enough research before they buy or would rather have some cool looking sony without it instead of a not so flashy but more funksional alpine with it and dont say they cost to much because even the 159 dollar alpine and pioneer we sell has it
Old 08-22-2003, 03:47 PM

my head unit does have a mute button on it but I still like to listen to music in towns... I dont listen to my music loud, I like to still be able to hear stuff going on around me but with all my windows down the bass, even low volume, can be heard from 60 feet away. So turning it off with the switch leaves me feeling more secure that I wont get a ticket for disturbing the peace, the switch is easy to install and cheaper than the ticket that you might receive... tucker, just install the switch its not too hard, the hardest part is fishing the wire through the dashboard.