3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

turbo question for you pros

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2000, 07:09 PM

and you know who you are hehehehehehehmwahahahaha.
how much boost could I safely add without doing internal modifications and/or lowering compression.

Would it not be damaging to only feed one of the cylinder banks. I feel a winter project comin on. I don't want big boost but 25-40 hp would be my goal. With my modest mods the ride is so smooth, and sweet. I don't want to go wild I'm just looking for a reliable tweek.
Old 09-16-2000, 07:15 PM

You could probably do about 6-8 safely. Most boost controllers and wastegates don't go below 7 psi though. As for feeding from a single side it wouldn't be that bad for low boost. It would just take a longer time to get the turbo spooled compared to 2 feeds. If I were you I would run a stock Z31 T3 and make a custom crossover pipe. You won't need an intercooler just a downpipe and fuel pressure riser thingy.
Old 09-16-2000, 07:25 PM

exhaust ?

Originally posted by Maximamike
You could probably do about 6-8 safely. Most boost controllers and wastegates don't go below 7 psi though. As for feeding from a single side it wouldn't be that bad for low boost. It would just take a longer time to get the turbo spooled compared to 2 feeds. If I were you I would run a stock Z31 T3 and make a custom crossover pipe. You won't need an intercooler just a downpipe and fuel pressure riser thingy.
Where do you mean, do I need Z31 exhaust manifolds, or custom the y pipe, where does the Z tie in?

PS WTF do I have to do to beat this newbee title?
Old 09-16-2000, 07:29 PM

Run a pipe from the bottom of your stock manifolds to the turbo. No Z31 manifolds needed. The Z comes in from where you get your turbo from. You want one from an 84-86 Z which has a T3. The 87-89 Z has a smaller T25(boo!). If you're gonna get crazy like me, run a full T4(aka Semi truck turbo).

To beat the newbie title you have to post a lot. I have like 200 or something posts.
Old 09-16-2000, 07:34 PM

Z turbo pics.

where can I find em?
Old 09-16-2000, 07:41 PM

<a href="http://z31.com">Z31.com</a>
Old 09-16-2000, 08:08 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

are both you guys going turbo?
Old 09-16-2000, 08:09 PM

I'll find a way to turn him to the darkside
Old 09-17-2000, 12:01 AM

he will turn or die my master
-loud breathing noise-
Old 09-17-2000, 12:42 AM

Gotta go twin t25 baby!!!

Old 09-17-2000, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by amax935
how much boost could I safely add without doing internal modifications and/or lowering compression.

Would it not be damaging to only feed one of the cylinder banks. I feel a winter project comin on. I don't want big boost but 25-40 hp would be my goal. With my modest mods the ride is so smooth, and sweet. I don't want to go wild I'm just looking for a reliable tweek.
Basically its all about tuning. To me the safest way to run boost on a max is with a turbo ECU. Sure you can use the band-aid type piggy back systems (AVC-R, S-AFC, BTM, etc) but the fact remains that you will need a custom ECU. The only way to get a fully tuned ECU is to drive your car to either the Racers group (The PROgram), UPRD, or JWT. They have the faculties to tune your car better than any shop with these aftermarket piggy back controllers. Also we don't know what size the injectors are and you should definitly upgrade the fuel pump. But on a VE or VG a T3 that shows ~6psi at the manifold should be around a 40-60hp gain at the wheels. Also if you do go turbo you need these 3 gauges, Boost, EGT, fuel or oil psi. I wouldn't think about doing a turbo conversion without a boost gauge and EGT. Really you add as much boost as you want as long as you have enough fuel and your intake manifold temps don't go over 245 degrees. One of the disadvantages of turbochargers is that they tend to heat the intake charge alittle more than simularly sized SC. Another route to go is mount the alternator on the other side and mount a vortech V1 in that space. This would simplify things greatly as you don't need custom exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:27 AM

attn nismo,sc 3rd gen

I read your response on turbo charging and sc the max Iam interested in superchargering a 3rd gen the comment you made on moving the alternator to other side could this apply to a3rd gen setup? Seems like the only problem I would run into is custom manifold wich is costly itself.the idea of (SC)sounds better erasing the manifold problem but I would like more info on possibilities of (sc)and whats needed.
Old 09-17-2000, 01:23 PM

turbo

here's what a friend of mine said about the option of adding a turbo for our car. His experience is based off of the Chrysler turbos of the later 80's. He knows quite a lot. I asked him about our cars and he said -->

quoted....

the only thought I have on their turbo talk is fuel. They have to remember that you can't just add 4 or 5 psi and expect the computer to compensate. Some neon guys have been talking about turbo charging. It's a real pain for them because the fuel is regulated by the voltage level to the pump set by the computer. You guys can probably just get a rising rate of gain regulator.
Old 09-17-2000, 03:12 PM

turbo from someone old

well kids yes yes im back
but for a reason
ok turboing a vg or ve. hell vq for that matter

you need to look at a grandnational engine for the ideal set up for a single turbo on a v6 car
this is how i had it designed for my VE when i had my maxima

any more questions, e-mail me
i'll tell ya lla ya need to know

=o)
Old 09-17-2000, 03:27 PM

*Bows at Bryan H's feet*

Whats up bro? How's the Celica?
Old 09-17-2000, 03:33 PM

im about to dump it for a 4cyl mustang actually

third tranny
im sick of it
Old 09-17-2000, 03:38 PM

86 SVO? Sweet..
Old 09-17-2000, 03:43 PM

da well who knows
knowing my luck i'll keep it and make a full race car out of it
i dunno what im gonna do
Old 09-17-2000, 06:52 PM

thanks for the advice n/m

Originally posted by Nismo87SE
Originally posted by amax935

Basically its all about tuning. To me the safest way to run boost on a max is with a turbo ECU. Sure you can use the band-aid type piggy back systems (AVC-R, S-AFC, BTM, etc) but the fact remains that you will need a custom ECU. The only way to get a fully tuned ECU is to drive your car to either the Racers group (The PROgram), UPRD, or JWT. They have the faculties to tune your car better than any shop with these aftermarket piggy back controllers. Also .we don't know what size the injectors are and you should definitly upgrade the fuel pump. But on a VE or VG a T3 that shows ~6psi at the manifold should be around a 40-60hp gain at the wheels. Also if you do go turbo you need these 3 gauges, Boost, EGT, fuel or oil psi. I wouldn't think about doing a turbo conversion without a boost gauge and EGT. Really you add as much boost as you want as long as you have enough fuel and your intake manifold temps don't go over 245 degrees. One of the disadvantages of turbochargers is that they tend to heat the intake charge alittle more than simularly sized SC. Another route to go is mount the alternator on the other side and mount a vortech V1 in that space. This would simplify things greatly as you don't need custom exhaust manifolds.
Old 09-17-2000, 06:55 PM

Re: turbo from someone old

Originally posted by Bryan H
well kids yes yes im back
but for a reason
ok turboing a vg or ve. hell vq for that matter

you need to look at a grandnational engine for the ideal set up for a single turbo on a v6 car
this is how i had it designed for my VE when i had my maxima

any more questions, e-mail me
i'll tell ya lla ya need to know

=o)
You are a legend in these parts. When I take the max off the road for the winter, I'll prolly get busy, will take you up on your offer. Thanks!
Old 09-17-2000, 07:00 PM

Bring your engine to my house. I'll get busy on that **** over the winter. I'll port the intake til its so thin you can see through it!
Old 09-17-2000, 07:06 PM

kick *** im a legend
woohooo

you're more then welcome to look me up when you are ready for it, just be sure you have all the parts ready.
IE: turbo. pipeing. intercooler, FMU. boost gauge, plugs, down pipe. and some other piddly crap.

who knows i might put a 5 lb procharger on my celica for giggles. this is very tempting actually. since i can get it below 2k for a kit

any questions, just lemmie know via this page. newcelica.org e-mail squishy288@aol.com
Old 09-17-2000, 07:42 PM
STFU n00b!

Hey biatch.. whassup?
How bout dragging your toyota **** down to IASCA Finals in October?
If your tranny mounts crap out on you again like the last time we tried to meet, Justin SAYS he's gonna try and make it, so jump a ride with him..

While you're at it, bring me some turbo goodies for my car. It's about time to do something else to the engine, since I'm tired of getting killed by every high school punk in wtown with a '99 Rustang GT.
Old 09-17-2000, 08:00 PM

well gimme details fruitass
my car should be back together by then. i dunno
also depends on money too

you shouldn't have bought an auto max if you planned on racing.
sink 4k into the tranny and stall convertor. and 4k into a turbo kit. you might be running some good times
who knows
JUST DON'T HIT ANYTHING ELSE
ok bye now
Old 09-17-2000, 08:11 PM
STFU n00b!

when I bought my max, it was the only thing I could find that I liked and could afford at the time. (and I'm STILL not done paying for it!)
I didn't even know there was a 5 spd version, or I woulda tried to find one. the dealer told me they were all autos. this was the only one on the lot, and I knew nothing about Maximas at the time. Ohhhhh, the things you learn in 2 years.

Prolly the only thing I'll do to the engine now is to stick an exhaust on it and some other "cheapie" mods like port/polish the intake manifolds or something.. Also been toying with the idea of fabricating a complete intake manifold with about twice the airflow as the stock VG intakes. those TB ports are tiny, and even opening up the TB won't do you much good if the rest of the intake manifold is that small too.. ( I know I'll lose low end opening things up, but I don't need to smoke tires off stoplights.

I've done some playing with the tranny (from a little trick Kaleb showed me), and I don't even need a VB mod to get the lightning quick shifts. it'll chirp second when it shifts on asphalt. that's all I need right there. I'm gonna wire it into the P/C switch on the auto tranny, so I can drive around town in "normal" mode, and when I want to shift hard, flip the switch to "power" and I'm done. ka-ching!

hmmm, IASCA Finals are OCT 27-29 in Ok City. Myriad center, right in the middle of town.
Kaleb said he's coming up, and maybe one of the new 3rd gen guys going to school in Norman. I also have a friend flying down from Spokane, just go see the Finals.. Plus Justin..
several 4th gen guys will probably show up.. they were there at the last show at the myriad I went to in February.

Old 09-18-2000, 11:24 AM

tranny trick

I've also done the same trick to my tranny. (disconnecting the harness) Do you think that is at all harmful? I would also like to wire in the switch too. I was thinking of making a custom one though.

Originally posted by Matt93GXE
when I bought my max, it was the only thing I could find that I liked and could afford at the time. (and I'm STILL not done paying for it!)
I didn't even know there was a 5 spd version, or I woulda tried to find one. the dealer told me they were all autos. this was the only one on the lot, and I knew nothing about Maximas at the time. Ohhhhh, the things you learn in 2 years.

Prolly the only thing I'll do to the engine now is to stick an exhaust on it and some other "cheapie" mods like port/polish the intake manifolds or something.. Also been toying with the idea of fabricating a complete intake manifold with about twice the airflow as the stock VG intakes. those TB ports are tiny, and even opening up the TB won't do you much good if the rest of the intake manifold is that small too.. ( I know I'll lose low end opening things up, but I don't need to smoke tires off stoplights.

I've done some playing with the tranny (from a little trick Kaleb showed me), and I don't even need a VB mod to get the lightning quick shifts. it'll chirp second when it shifts on asphalt. that's all I need right there. I'm gonna wire it into the P/C switch on the auto tranny, so I can drive around town in "normal" mode, and when I want to shift hard, flip the switch to "power" and I'm done. ka-ching!

hmmm, IASCA Finals are OCT 27-29 in Ok City. Myriad center, right in the middle of town.
Kaleb said he's coming up, and maybe one of the new 3rd gen guys going to school in Norman. I also have a friend flying down from Spokane, just go see the Finals.. Plus Justin..
several 4th gen guys will probably show up.. they were there at the last show at the myriad I went to in February.

Old 09-18-2000, 02:52 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

i dont understand what you guys did on the trannys. could someone explain? sounds like you just wired it to shift "power" when gunning it and "normal" when driving normal. am i right? cuz when i switch to "power" it makes no difference but it shifts a little harder. makes no performance increase in mine. someone explain please?
Old 09-18-2000, 03:03 PM

Hey fruit *** #1(bryan). Give me some good specs on a monster T4. **** this ***** *** t3/t4 ****. This isn't a B18C Honda engine..