3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Some info I learned about the VG engines, while doing a head gasket job...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2001, 11:20 AM

You guys have between 1-3 mm of overhang on the ENTIRE intake manifold all the way to the block. What this means is if you love your engine and you want some extra power, Extrude honed... If you don't know how to do it or don't want to because you're affraid, take the parts apart and take it to a place to have it done, then all you have to do is assemble it.
Just some info I thought I'd share.
Old 02-11-2001, 07:05 PM

can you explain how to do this. ive never read about it before? thanks for the info
Old 02-14-2001, 10:13 PM

Sorry it took so long to respond.

Go to Maxima.org and go to shop talk and go to the section Extrude honed intake...
Anyways, This will be my first time doing it and I'm anxious. I've seen how to do it on the motor week tv show.. funny huh...
So here is the "basics" When you take off your intake manifold or anything that has to do with your intake system, there will be a gasket seperating the 2 connecting parts. Looking at the part, ex. intake manifold with gasket. You should see that the gasket is slightly bigger than the ports where the air comes through.. meaning that you can shave off the excess all the way to the gasket edge. The best way to do that is.. leaving the gasket on the part, see how much overhang you've got, and trace the gasket hole with a pencil/marker or something. You will need special tools for this part. There is an extrude honed kit that costs under $50. (it's just the bits)
After removing the overhang and smoothing up rough edges on ALL the parts, you are pretty much ready for installation.
If you ARE trying this, do more research and be careful not to extrude TOO much. Be conservative.
I have a 96 and was told that it doesn't have that much overhang but I shall see for myself.
Thought I'd share with you.
Old 02-14-2001, 10:29 PM

Re: Sorry it took so long to respond.

Originally posted by PiotrC70
Go to Maxima.org and go to shop talk and go to the section Extrude honed intake...
Anyways, This will be my first time doing it and I'm anxious. I've seen how to do it on the motor week tv show.. funny huh...
So here is the "basics" When you take off your intake manifold or anything that has to do with your intake system, there will be a gasket seperating the 2 connecting parts. Looking at the part, ex. intake manifold with gasket. You should see that the gasket is slightly bigger than the ports where the air comes through.. meaning that you can shave off the excess all the way to the gasket edge. The best way to do that is.. leaving the gasket on the part, see how much overhang you've got, and trace the gasket hole with a pencil/marker or something. You will need special tools for this part. There is an extrude honed kit that costs under $50. (it's just the bits)
After removing the overhang and smoothing up rough edges on ALL the parts, you are pretty much ready for installation.
If you ARE trying this, do more research and be careful not to extrude TOO much. Be conservative.
I have a 96 and was told that it doesn't have that much overhang but I shall see for myself.
Thought I'd share with you.
thank you. thats some good info.