3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

combinging warpspeed and jwt ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 12:27 AM

combinging warpspeed and jwt ?!?!

Maybe im missing something but is there any benefit with combining the 2 air intake products. buy the kit from warpspeed upper and lower tube minus KN filter and attach the pop charger filter. or is the cone shaped KN filter better?
Old 09-16-2003, 06:53 AM
STFU n00b!

the JWT filter won't fit. the opening on it is huge- like 6" or something. the WSP one is 3".
you really won't see much benefit in any case.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
the JWT filter won't fit. the opening on it is huge- like 6" or something. the WSP one is 3".
you really won't see much benefit in any case.
Sorry Matt, but I happen to disagree.

Since your Max should be a VG30E, you can do it (maybe could with the VE also). You have two options:

1)Hybrid short ram intake - I'm running this myself right now.
I found both the JWT pop charger and Warpspeed's CAI pipes used for bargain basement prices. Your MAF goes on the end of the Warpseed mid-pipe (lower pipe), and JWT Venturi ring goes on the MAF, and the 6" JWT filter goes on that. Then there's no problem with the JWT filter's 6" inlet - It fits over the 6" JWT venturi ring. I've been extremely pleased with the performace of this combo on my '90SE (VG also).. I'm now working on enclosing the JWT filter in a cold air box which I hope to feed with ram air. Even if not ram air, I'll get cold air piped to the cold air box for sure.

2)Using the full Warpspeed CAI setup, but replacing their coupoing for the filter with a Maxima MAF adapter (look on Ebay) and filter with JWT's venturi ring and filter down in the compartment below the battery. This setup has been done on a Sentra but with a CAI system from another manufacturer that ends up in the same place that Warpseed's does. The Sentra's have that same compartment.

Here's a photo of the Sentra Setup with a JWT ring and filter.

As you can see, it's going to make your filter hang down somewhat lower.

The JWT venturi ring is supposed to act as an air velocity accelerator. After using mine, I think it does. Whether it makes enough difference to be worth the extra money and trouble is unknown until someone tries it. I may try it myself if my cold air box/ram air plans don't work out.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:04 PM

As you can see, it's going to make your filter hang down somewhat lower.
That looks great, but wouldn't you have to pull over whenever it rained really hard? I can't imagine it would be good to splash water all over that nice filter.

...Or am I wrong? Anyone?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by maximad
That looks great, but wouldn't you have to pull over whenever it rained really hard? I can't imagine it would be good to splash water all over that nice filter.

...Or am I wrong? Anyone?
That's not a problem with the Warspeed CAI setup. There's a weather shield that bolts to the bottom of the car; you have to take it off to install the Warpspeed CAI filter. With Warppeed's setup, you can put the cover back on, as the filter doesn't hang down below the weather shield. It Might with the JWT ring added - I can't tell without trying it, but it will hang down somewhat lower. You might have to make a 'bulge' in the weather shield. Shouldn't be that tough to do - the shield is not metal, but is some sort of fiber composite that you can cut with a box knife, and adhesives like JB Weld will stick to it. It will probably hang down at around 3-4" lower than Warpspeed's filter. You can just install the CAI first, and then see how close the Warpseed filter is to the weather shield. It will then be fairly ovbious how much trouble it will be to get the extra clearence for the MAF adapter+ JWT ring & filter.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:35 PM

All this about the weathershields will be fairly obvious if you just look under your car. The compartment that the CAI filter goes in is just ahead of the fenderwell. the weathershield that blocks off this compartment covers just the compartment bottom and then wraps around up in the fenderwell. You only have to remove 4-5 bolts to take it off - and then it will be obvious what is going on.
Old 09-19-2003, 12:18 PM

Here's a pic of my Warpspeed/JWT short ram hybrid intake: