3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

dual exhaust..

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 11:28 PM

dual exhaust..

im thinking about a "ghetto dual exhaust" setup for when it comes time to do the exhaust system.. ghetto meaning obviously not a true dual setup, it will be mainly for looks.

I know flyry110 did this to his VE (now owned by james) but i searched his old posts recently and the pics he posted of it arent hosted anymore, stupid me i should of saved them when he posted them

I think he, and i know sadler smashed out the spare tire well to fit a 2nd muffler in there; however i dont want to do that, i want to use 1 muffler. A few others on the 4th gens that ive seen ran a pipe across to the other side from the one muffler. I think custommaximas 4th gen kit is the same but im not sure as there are no pics of how the piping runs. Anyway this is the setup im talking about:

the red line there represents the rear suspension on the 3rd gen where the path of the pipe may be hindered a little. I dont think heat from the pipe should have any effect, no?

The planned components:
- WSP Y pipe
- carsound high flow cat
- WSP b pipe
- single inlet, dual outlet muffler... 2.25 piping ran to the driver side and probably 3" or 4" tips (1 on each side)

next issue is the muffler...any aftermarket mufflers with dual outlet, single inlet? I think someone used a camaro muffler?
Old 09-20-2003, 06:55 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Maximan190
im thinking about a "ghetto dual exhaust" setup for when it comes time to do the exhaust system.. ghetto meaning obviously not a true dual setup, it will be mainly for looks.

I know flyry110 did this to his VE (now owned by james) but i searched his old posts recently and the pics he posted of it arent hosted anymore, stupid me i should of saved them when he posted them

I think he, and i know sadler smashed out the spare tire well to fit a 2nd muffler in there; however i dont want to do that, i want to use 1 muffler. A few others on the 4th gens that ive seen ran a pipe across to the other side from the one muffler. I think custommaximas 4th gen kit is the same but im not sure as there are no pics of how the piping runs. Anyway this is the setup im talking about:

the red line there represents the rear suspension on the 3rd gen where the path of the pipe may be hindered a little. I dont think heat from the pipe should have any effect, no?

The planned components:
- WSP Y pipe
- carsound high flow cat
- WSP b pipe
- single inlet, dual outlet muffler... 2.25 piping ran to the driver side and probably 3" or 4" tips (1 on each side)

next issue is the muffler...any aftermarket mufflers with dual outlet, single inlet? I think someone used a camaro muffler?
You and the Camaro thing.... let it go. J/K

But seriously, Yeah, I've seen those posts with flyry110's car. So it's perfectly feasable to do it. I thought someone else here had a similar setup. But then again, wtf do I know...

As for the muffler, have you looked through the JC Whitney catalog lately? Or even Jeg's? One of those might have what you're looking to get. At least from a muffler standpoint.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:22 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i saw it on someones car too on here. but the setup was with 2 mufflers and a custom bumper. i liked the way it looked and was looking into something like that myself.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:20 AM

yeah i saw it too on a read 3rd gen and sent him a note askin how and what he use..because am feeling it and i wanna get mine done that way too...i was thinking of two on one side but then i notice it can be done on seperate sides
Old 09-20-2003, 12:20 PM

you guys are talking bout seamax's dual exhaust.... he custom cut his stillen rear bumper
Old 09-20-2003, 01:12 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Maximan190 I have pics of the setup if you wanna e-mail me

James92se@Hotmail.com

It wasnt the Camaro style duals....the B-pipe splits into two pipes.

Seamax now has the setup....with new mufflers
Old 09-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm not a pro, but I dont think that muffler Idea will work in once its all bolted together. great idea on paper though.

The reason is mufflers have baffles and such in them, and not only is this going against the flow, the nature of this setup will put most of the exhaust out the right muffler. It would be different if it was a straight threw muffler, but still the whole setup would make it hard to get the exhaust to go out the drivers side, you might get some, but really i dont think it would match too well.

I haven't looked at the dual exhaust thing since my black 3rd gen, but one pointer I'd give is to make a Y type coupler, that way the exhaust gases would be split evenly and it wouldnt look wierd on a cold morning. Its possiable to buy an X pipe, chop it in half and weld a straight pipe onto half of it, but I know they make the actual Y pipes (not like the ones on the front of our engine).
Old 09-20-2003, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
I'm not a pro, but I dont think that muffler Idea will work in once its all bolted together. great idea on paper though.

The reason is mufflers have baffles and such in them, and not only is this going against the flow, the nature of this setup will put most of the exhaust out the right muffler. It would be different if it was a straight threw muffler, but still the whole setup would make it hard to get the exhaust to go out the drivers side, you might get some, but really i dont think would too well.

I haven't looked at the dual exhaust thing since my black 3rd gen, but one pointer I'd give is to make a Y type coupler, that way the exhaust gases would be split evenly and it wouldnt look wierd on a cold morning. Its possiable to buy an X pipe, chop it in half and weld a straight pipe onto half of it, but I know they make the actual Y pipes (not like the ones on the front of our engine).
my thoughts exactly, would go against the natural flow of the exaust. you will have most of it coming out of the right side. you are better off, going with 2 mufflers split off the Y if you can fit them in there
Old 09-20-2003, 10:25 PM

I bought my dual exhaust system from James but it cost a lot more for the installation then I thought compare to just doing a custom. So that system is on my 91 SE. The b-pipe is split into a y going out to two mufflers.

On my 93 SE below it was a custom job. The b-pipe goes to a y and then to the free flowing mufflers.

On both system the spare tire well had to be hammer in to make room. There is just not enough room on the driver's side to run piping and muffler without hammering in the spare tire well. Take a serious look for yourself when you jack up your car. Also the sway bar, and gas or brake line over there makes it really complicate, especially close to a hot exhaust pipe.

So when I put the spare in the hammered in well, it pushes the spare up about three inches. So I bought a sheet mdf or whatever that light thin wood is, cut it to match the shape of the lower trunk bed and glue some 3 inch plastic ***** on it. So my trunk still looks stock, just raised 3 iches to accomodate the spare, and I still have access to the spare.

But beware, on both dual systems the resonance and droning is deafening, i mean extremely loud, you will definitley go deaf within weeks. I had to install a 22 inch resonator. Now it just growls with open tip or is quiet if I close my adjustable silencer.

It was an overkill but it was all 3 inch piping.

So system is 3 inch piping from headers to free flwoing cat, to 22 inch resonator, b-pipe, y-splitter, dual muffler.

And the flow is pretty even, I put my hand over both mufflers, almost kiiled the engine, to feel the flow after the install.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:38 PM

why didn't you go 2.5" piping?
Old 09-21-2003, 09:36 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
why didn't you go 2.5" piping?

yeah didnt you lose alot of back pressure?

and the setup you posted joe I dont think the flow is even gonna reach the other tip and in the winter its gonna look stupid because your only gonna have steam comming out of one side , I see so many neons like that with the a tip just welded on one side and it looks horrible, either use two mufflers or two tips.
Old 09-21-2003, 09:41 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I think Flyry made it 3" since he was planning to go turbo back in the day before he sold the car to James(yall do know the duals on Seamax's car was originally flyrys right? it just made its way across the country when James bought the car from Flyry )
Old 09-21-2003, 11:11 AM

actually the duals in my sig is not flyry's. I own two maximas. flyry's system is on my 91. my 93, in my sig, was all custom done. one thing i learned from buying flyry's system from James is that it seems every 3rd gen is somewhat different when you run piping. You can't just take one that is custom made for one max and easily put it on another and it cost less just doing a custom job.

on the 3" piping..i still have turbo dreams
Old 09-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

heh...I knew you had Flyrys system on one of your cars...do you have pics of it, never seen how it looked on your other car??
Old 09-21-2003, 05:34 PM

isnt the bigger the piping, the less the backpressure? just think of blowing through a big 711 slurpee straw and then blowing through a thin coffee stirrer... coffee stirrer has more air pressure, less volume since pressure and volume are inversely proportional.. wow my physics class actually paid off i guess

anyway, back to the pipe routing.. i think the only thing that would make the exhaust smoke uneven is the length of the piping, not the muffler..

my friend has a flowmaster 80 series muffler on his 91 RS camaro and its basically the same type of muffler im talking about in that pic.. single inlet and dual outlet:

---> inlet..............outlet 2---->

<--- outlet 1

and the 3rd gen camaros dont have a true dual exhaust setup (like the 3rd gen maxs), its single piping that goes to the muffler and then splits in 2
Old 09-21-2003, 06:01 PM
mod or sell?

my friend has a flowmaster 80 series muffler on his 91 RS camaro and its basically the same type of muffler im talking about in that pic.. single inlet and dual outlet:

---> inlet..............outlet 2---->

<--- outlet 1

and the 3rd gen camaros dont have a true dual exhaust setup (like the 3rd gen maxs), its single piping that goes to the muffler and then splits in 2
Mostly True. The 90-92 Z28 had available a True Dual setup including TWO cats was worth about 10-20hp
Old 09-22-2003, 03:38 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

...the 3rd gen camaros dont have a true dual exhaust setup (like the 3rd gen maxs)...
: Am I reading this wrong, or did you say that 3rd gen Max's have a true dual exhaust setup??
Old 09-22-2003, 05:34 AM
mod or sell?

missed a word didn't ya
Old 09-22-2003, 10:00 AM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

haha i missed the "dont" too !
Old 09-22-2003, 10:06 AM

2 5th gen mufflers with the stillen rear valence. I think it would look sweet if you could get the make a cutout perfectly to match the other one
Old 09-22-2003, 10:24 AM

Im not sure how it would work but my buddy has a 96 Monte Carlo Z34 now it looks as with some small modi that system would fit on a 3rd gen maxima. Should flow ok considering the monte has a 3.4L . Do you guys think this is a similar option??
Old 09-22-2003, 02:27 PM

Wow!!SeaMax, I didn't read any of this post, but the dual exhaust on your car looks amazing.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:39 PM
UCF Lexus

SeaMax's car is the sh*t. I love his exhaust.

I was always thinking of going DUAL, but....more weight....and its not the same as a 300ZX or a V8. Maxima exhaust wont run back from 3 and 3 cylinders like V8s run 4 and 4 from the headers to exhaust.

Here's another pic:
Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 AM

Thanks James for the pictures and Email! Hopefully SeaMAX wont mind me posting them, but here is the Dual exhaust setup from flfry's old car (James' car)

Old 09-23-2003, 05:41 AM
mod or sell?

is that a cat inthe pic or a really small resonator?
either way wouldn't a resonator help the sound more than those 2 coffee can?
that was both an opinion and a question. As I am in need of a cat back setup because mine is holier than thou but on the plus side it does sound real good just needs a little moving back and smoothing out. I am considering a pipe straight out with the resonator in the stock place but no muffler. any opinions?
Old 09-23-2003, 07:44 AM

yea theres another idea i could go for, but id really not rather go banging out the underside of the car to make it work

where did he get the custom piping done, im sure a local meineke or whatnot could do it for me..

this would be a perfect setup, to have a single muffler sit in the middle of the car and 2 outlets in the muffler go out through straight tips.. my friends camaro with the flowmaster 80 series:
http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...19_56_full.jpg
Old 09-23-2003, 10:02 AM
UCF Lexus

Duals wont necessarily boost up HP or TQ will it?
Old 09-23-2003, 02:11 PM
Redlinemax Owner

u should gain alot of torque, i definately did with the ones on my 4th gen
Old 09-24-2003, 08:21 PM

hey guys,

all i can say is if i did it again, i'd have put a nice sized resonator on the exhuast!!! redline did it all custom here in PA. i think it cost me like 400 bucks to have all of it bent up, and another 100 for the 3" cat, and like 100 apiece for the mufflers. . . .

it did sound good though. especially from behind . . . and you know what's funny, before i did it everyone said it couldn't be done.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:20 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

that system sounded real nice! You still have that sound clip ryan?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:59 PM

lol, wish i did. . . that was like 3 computers ago!
Old 09-25-2003, 05:23 PM

seems the only 2 chamber or dual outlet mufflers ive came across are flowmasters, like the 40 and 80 series which is a 3" in and 2.5" out

good setup ryan but i just dont like the big mufflers/tips.. id like to do the one muffler and then split to 2 pipes. Or if i can find 2 decent QUIET mufflers then ill do that with staight tips to make it look like stock

maybe ill see what meineke suggests...
Old 09-25-2003, 08:13 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

maybe ill see what meineke suggests...
there gonna suggest lube when they rape you in the *** go to a local muffler shop I know a few.