3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Alternator/Oxygen Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 04:57 PM

Alternator/Oxygen Sensor

Ok Folks, gimme your input. I want to replace my alternator because its been making a whining noise when im driving, not while parked, and its a low pitch kinda whining noise. Can you give me some suggestions as to where I can get a good aftermarket alternator? probably a good upgrade that can handle my alpine stereo system (Lows/Mids/Highs = 1,000 watt's MAX total w/ 1 Farad Cap and 800 CCA Optima battery).

Also suggestions on an Oxygen sensor, where to get a good one, and which to buy like Bosch and such.. Thanks peep's!
Old 09-24-2003, 05:27 PM
mod or sell?

For O2 go NTK or bosch (prefer NTK)
Take your alternator to a rebuilder and have them wind it for higher output. Most alternators can be rewound higher but not all.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:34 PM

www.nopionline.com for the oxygen sensor

For the alternator, You might want to check/clean all your ground terminals/connections. That should fix your problem.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by eric93SE
www.nopionline.com for the oxygen sensor
Not a bad price for the NTK
52.26 though the real list as about $90
Old 09-24-2003, 05:45 PM

You can buy a generic oxygen sensor from carparts.com . The only thing is you have to use your old connector. Which isnt a big deal at all, when the sensor is only ~$35
Old 09-24-2003, 05:54 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by eric93SE
You can buy a generic oxygen sensor from carparts.com . The only thing is you have to use your old connector. Which isnt a big deal at all, when the sensor is only ~$35
Just remeber to solder the connector. and make sure it comes with instructions. My KEM do, but not all companies do.

P.s. Is this your O2?
http://catservices.wrencheadpro.com/.../bor_OS932.htm
Old 09-24-2003, 05:55 PM

yep thats the one
Old 09-24-2003, 06:00 PM
mod or sell?

If I remeber correctly that one has the smaller than normal threads so finding a universal ain't all that likely. just something to think about before you make your purchase. besides personally i'd rather spend the extra $15 and not have to Fuc|< around with it or find out the threads don't match while I'm wrenching at 10pm.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:39 PM
94c Big Max

Bosch is the OE for our cars and they last about the same time as your timing belt (esp, if yours is a VG engine). Get them here for $60 with free SH and no taxes:

http://shop.nissanpartstore.com/

Note that Bosch OE O2 sensor comes with sensor safe greases, so you'll save some moneys there too.
Old 09-25-2003, 06:42 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bvtran
Bosch is the OE for our cars
Oh, I thought NTK was O.E.
No biggie they are pretty much the only Manufacturers of O2s anyways Just about everybody else reboxes one of theirs.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:23 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Oh, I thought NTK was O.E.
No biggie they are pretty much the only Manufacturers of O2s anyways Just about everybody else reboxes one of theirs.

NOPE. Bosch is the OE for O2, NGK is the OE for spark plugs and wires. Contact your dealer to find out more.
Old 10-02-2003, 01:06 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bvtran
NOPE. Bosch is the OE for O2, NGK is the OE for spark plugs and wires. Contact your dealer to find out more.
OK now I know I that OE is NTK. I just bought a bosch and surprise surprise ! It is stamped NTK.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:56 AM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by internetautomar
OK now I know I that OE is NTK. I just bought a bosch and surprise surprise ! It is stamped NTK.

Damn. You're right, so I just saved $30 then! I opened up my Bosch package today and what I found out was it got an NTK stamp on it. It's kinda ironic cuz the NTK package costs $90 while Bosch was marked at $60? Strange.

Anyway, I tried fighting with my oxygen sensor today and damn it. It made a fool out of me. That small tiny little 17mm with 4 rings of threads on it refused to freaking come off and I got PB Blaster sitting in there for 4 hours too. Not only that but my freaking flare wrench rounded a few edges too.

Hey, guys. What if I cut the darn wires and use a 6pt deep socket wrench to take it off? Would it be safe to do that cuz I kinda worried that what if the damn thing still won't come off. Let's say if it doesn't comes off, would it be ok if I just kinda tape the wires back together or do I really needed to do any soldering jobs? Cuz none of the stores here are selling special oxygen sensor socket small enough to fit our sensor.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Please note that I kinda rounded a few edges.

Old 01-03-2004, 08:07 AM

Well, one thing to do is to use a hack saw to chop off most of the 02 sensor and then use a socket.

But it looks like that might not be enough, it might need to get heated up with a torch making it red hot, and then usig a socket. It should come out like butter after that.

Another thing is after using the hack saw, use an impact gun. I think thats probably safer then pulling and prying with a regular wrench. I'm mentioning this becuase the exaust manifold studs will get strained quite a lot, and your exhaust looks pretty rotted.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

jeeze that exhaust is going to give me nightmares

sure its the right size wrench? lol. I didnt have too much of a problem with mine. If I didnt already have a spare (I think its good) I would just buy it from Brian (Internetautomar). sometimes it helps to get the wrench on there good, then hit it with a hammer.

another thing, you might to buy some undercoating spray stuff, clean up that rust on the bottom of the car and spray it.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:12 PM
94c Big Max

looks like I'll do what Eric said. But then again, my O2 Sensor is still working fine. It's just that I only got this car for 8 months, so I don't know when was the last time the previous owner has it in there. Heated O2 Sensor lasts quite a while, up to 100,000 miles from what I've heard. Secondly, I am moving to California by the end of this summer. Knowning that my freaking y-pipe is pretty busted, well my entire suspension system is pretty rusty due to the northeast winter and those damn salts. I doubt any of the previous owners washed their car often. So, I might ended changing the entire y-pipe and some of the exhaust system.

Btw. Anyone here know anything about California emission bs? What do I needed to do to meet their emission standard? Should changing the y-pipe w/California emission from Warspeed good enough?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:57 PM

Dude that 02 sensor looks original!
Old 01-03-2004, 06:41 PM
mod or sell?

I could swear that there's a spot weld in that pic!
Look in your circle
Old 01-03-2004, 07:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I remember hearing that the WSP Y-pipe will still allow you to pass emissions.... esp. in california.

Heck if you couldn't Dmontzsta would be in trouble
Old 01-03-2004, 08:08 PM
Way out West

Jeez, it looks like that pipe has been sitting at the bottom of the ocean for a couple of years. Yank that thing off and get a warpspeed y, then you won't have to deal with taking a hacksaw to the o2 sensor.

I would guess that the y-pipe wouldn't be a problem with the Cali emmissions as much as your cat, muffler and your state of tune. You should probably consult someone from Cali, though. I don't have emissions. I just send a check for $30 every two years and call it good.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:30 PM
94c Big Max

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I hoped it's not welded cuz my wrench rounded off a few corners which made have looks welded. Either way, I'll start my savings. Then order a WSP pipe, grab my Dremel and those rustic ***** better come off.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:55 PM

yeah, do get under there with a pressure washer, a wire brush, some sandpaper, etc and clean that rust on the rest of the car up pretty good and spray some rubberized undercoating on it...you will be VERY glad you did..I get under my car twice a year and pressure wash the underside at a lower pressure (carefully, none the less) and check for any surface rust and spray undercoating on it..somtimes I have to use engine bay cleaner or some fairly diluted Castrol Super Clean to get mine clean, so you might need to spend some time at it..when you change your y-pipe, get ALL of the rust off of the body and suspension or you'll end up with a Maxima that looks like our '63 rivierra that was rarely washed till my name was added to the title..it has no floorboards..
Old 01-05-2004, 08:38 PM
94c Big Max

yeah. I've been washing my car a lot since I got it. However, those corroded parts has been damaged way before I got my hands on this car.

Good thing is I could do something about it.

Anyone knows what's the worst could happened driving around with a dead O2 Sensor? I don't really care much about gasoline consumption. But is it really going to kill my engine?
Old 01-05-2004, 08:44 PM

Damn...that looks like its bonded together from heat.

is that all OEM exhaust u have?

[/QUOTE]
Old 01-05-2004, 08:52 PM
94c Big Max

Originally Posted by drstillpatient
Damn...that looks like its bonded together from heat.

is that all OEM exhaust u have?

Yup. OE. But it's no biggie if I had to cut it off.