3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

upgrading 3rd gen Bose head to 4th or 5th?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 02:05 PM

Has anyone replaced there bose head unit and put a newer maxima's in? I would like to replace my head unit with a 5th generation unit, Is this possible?
Old 09-17-2000, 05:50 PM
living out of a maxima...

Forget the bose...

you can replace the bose head unit with any head unit you want (within size range). Just wire the speaker wires to the pre-amp outputs on the new head and use the Bose amps instead of the head's amplification.
Old 09-21-2000, 08:00 PM

does that really work?

Hi, does this really work? I mean, I thought in order to install an aftermarket head unit in a stock bose setup you needed a line output converter?

Thanks

j0e-
Old 09-24-2000, 12:55 PM
living out of a maxima...

Alright, jOe, there's several ways to go about this. First, lets look at what we've got. The original bose headunit provides no power to the speakers, only signal. Each speaker is equipped with its own individual amplifier to even this out.

One tactic is to replace the headunit but keep the amplifiers. Here you'll have to get a headunit with pre-amp outputs, and wire these to speaker connections on your wire harness. Not much work required, other than installing the head and messing with some wires.

Another option is to replace the headunit and go around the amplifiers, using the head unit's built-in amp. This requires a little more work. For the back speakers, you'll have to disconnect the amplifiers and connect the speakers to the wiring harness directly. In the front, you'll have to do the same, except getting to the speakers is a bit more difficult.

The final (and my favorite) option is to scream and curse at bose, replace the headunit, replace all four speakers, and throw in an external amp.

If any of these sound good, but you're still not sure how to go about it, just give me a hollar.
Old 09-24-2000, 01:55 PM

Your best bet if you dont know much about audio is to buy an aftermarket head unit and use it to power your speakers. Before I got external amps to power all of my speakers I just ran two speaker wires from my rear deck speakers to the wire harness connected to the head unit.On my factory speakers only the rears were amplified by the factory amp.If you get a regular harness and just rewire the back speakers you'll get a lot better sound than any factory stereo.If your not happy with that setup then go out and buy yourself a 4-channel amp and crank it.
Old 09-24-2000, 02:29 PM
is invisible

Here you go...

I'm getting a newer BOSE from a '95 Maxima. Sure, I know that BOSE isn't the best, but it's damn good for a factory system. I'm not interested in going all out; I just wanted a freaking CD player.
Also I wanted to spend as little as possible and it seems that BOSE is the only way to go.

Check this link out:http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=1366

Old 09-24-2000, 04:22 PM

hehe

yeah.. well.. I would love to put in a replacement bose stereo but I have some other plans. I bought an aiwa head unit because it has a front input jack for a portable cd/md/mp3 player. Ive seen this on all aiwa players so I decided to get one. I am next, going to get a philips expanium portable mp3/cd player from circuit city and use that in the car, the sound will be much better compared to a tape/fm transmitter and wont cost me a ****load.. Im pretty poor right now, hehe, I got college student syndrome the first day I stepped in that school yard :P

The aiwa head unit only cost me $132 shipped and its a pretty nice unit, has pre-amp outputs as well so if I decide at any point to throw out the rest of the bose equipment I can keep it but I doubt ill ever be doing that with this car. My next car will be a newer maxima, maybe a 4th gen or another 3rd gen, I have a 1990 right now. I think ill go with first option that JeffesonM mentioned because it seems to be the cheapest and easiest at this point. I spoke with circuit city yesterday and I found out that they do sell the adaptor that allows the use of an aftermarket head unit in a nissan bose system for $44.95, its part APA NISAH4 I think, so ill decide when I get there if im going to get it or not. I must get a wire harness and an antenna adaptor from them but I think I need a replacement antenna as well.. Does anyone know what all parts I need to fix a broken maxima antenna? It looks physically fine but doesnt move at all so its stuck up right now.

Thanks for all the help guys!

j0e-
Old 09-24-2000, 04:47 PM

my maxima antenna has the same problem but only go's down half way. that annoys the hell out of me to
Old 09-24-2000, 05:03 PM

yep my max antenna only goes down halfway too.Does anybody know why?I dont really care too much because I never listen to the radio, but it just looks dumb sitting half way up.
Old 09-24-2000, 05:23 PM
is invisible

Do you know...

where one can get the wiring harness for a '95 BOSE? That's the only thing I need to make it compatible with my '91.
I tried http://www.cartoys.com but i have o idea how to use the website to find parts...duh.
Old 09-24-2000, 06:04 PM

My antenna stays up fully.. hehe.. I really want to fix it at the same time I change this head unit. I think I broke it, when I first got the car it wasnt running yet so I started playing with the antenna and pulled it out then shoved it back in.. hehe :/

I have no idea where to find the wire harness your talking about but I think best buy or circuit city sell it.

j0e-
Old 09-26-2000, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by j0e-
My antenna stays up fully.. hehe.. I really want to fix it at the same time I change this head unit. I think I broke it, when I first got the car it wasnt running yet so I started playing with the antenna and pulled it out then shoved it back in.. hehe :/

I have no idea where to find the wire harness your talking about but I think best buy or circuit city sell it.

j0e-
MADE SAME MISTAKE