3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Maxima fatality...long post

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 08:52 PM

Maxima fatality...long post

Well, I don't think my max is totalled, but it doesn't look good either. I got hit in my front right when I was turning left at a light (=almost automatically my fault). The light turned yellow, the SUV in front of me turns left, I kinda follow. Then as soon as the SUV moves a little bit, I see a Cherokee coming my way. Did I speed up and get out of the way? No, I stopped dead and took the hit. Needless to say she ran a yellow/red light, I did fail to yield during a left turn, so naturally it's my fault. No one was hurt.

The ABS unit and engine are slightly displaced. Slightly leaking radiator. BMW headlight, foglight, clear corner dead. FSTB bent. Hopefully my Eibachs/KYBs are okay. I just put them and my tires on about 10K miles ago too

If it is totalled, I might be selling some mods:
UR UDP
92 SE rear taillights/finisher

What do people usually get as settlement from insurance?
I have a 92 GXE with 117K miles, black leather (flawless). Very good condition.

Thanks for reading and my best wishes for everyone's safety. This sucks! I will be looking to get a VE 5spd like everyone else does, so I plan on keeping my suspension setup.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:20 PM

man that sucks. glad you're ok though. IF it is totaled, any ideas on what car you're gonna get?
Old 09-29-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
man that sucks. glad you're ok though. IF it is totaled, any ideas on what car you're gonna get?
I'm not sure, probably another maxima (VE 5spd) if I can find one. I like having 4 doors, etc. It really depends on how much the insurance company will give me. Hopefully no less than $3,000. How much have people gotten for their totalled max?

My left hand and shoulders hurt a little but nothing serious.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

dang! sorry to hear
If the engine is 'displaced' I'd pretty much think its going to be totaled, hopefully everything will work out ok for you.

IIRC, the VG UDP wont work on a VE, but if it will, I'm interested. Pezking4 would probably take those tails off your hands, as someone kicked his

again, good luck with everything.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
dang! sorry to hear
If the engine is 'displaced' I'd pretty much think its going to be totaled, hopefully everything will work out ok for you.

IIRC, the VG UDP wont work on a VE, but if it will, I'm interested. Pezking4 would probably take those tails off your hands, as someone kicked his

again, good luck with everything.
I don't think the UDP will fit a VE.

I'lll make another post in a couple of days once the ins. gets back to me. This really freakin' sucks. Word of advice, if you're thinking about running that yellow, DON'T! I usually never do, but this time had to be different.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:14 PM

Well your main mistake was obviously blindly following an SUV at a left turn. It had nothing to do with the yellow light.

That said, I'll give you an idea how much you're gonna get from the insurance. I totalled my 91se in july. Very good interior condition (leather), the exterior had some blemishes/dents from before the accident. I've got allstate and recommend it to everyone. It's simply the best and most professional insurance. They look at everything on your car and seem to be very fair with evaluations. The guy valued the car at 3200 (I paid 3000 for it the year before). It had 120k miles, so I think yours might be even higher being a year younger, less miles and exterior flaws (he estimated the dents I had before accident at 600, without them it'd be 3800). It'll also depend on your deductible. Mine was 500, which sucked. I'm on a 100 deductible now that costs slightly more than the 500 one. I also went to the place where the car was towed and cleaned it thoroughly before the inspection. I'm sure they take appearance into consideration as well. What can you expect? I'd say 3500-4000 before the deductible if it's in the condition you say it is. Before others call me crazy check the blue book values of maximas, they hold their value surprisingly well.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sorry to hear that man... good luck with ins. and since I haven't seen an individual call it for themself.... dibs on the tails (no need for the center).

Yeah... I'm a bastard....
Old 09-29-2003, 10:21 PM

Boy that sucks. I can see that I would do the same thing. Driving my car is alove hate thing. I love to drive it, but I watch it so much that I don't always have fun.

Not to sound like a parasite, but if you need to sell that UDP, let me know.

Good luck.
Old 09-29-2003, 10:37 PM

DLB and todamax, I'll let you know a price in a couple of days, although it could be a while before I can take parts. The left light has a small crack which leaks some water. I haven't sealed it yet, and it is the same as when I bought it.

Oh I have one more question:
The car was towed to the wrecker's lot. When will I be able to get the car back so that I can take off my mods? I'm not sure of the whole process.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:00 PM

You can have it towed wherever you want, but the insurance will cover only the initial towing. I had it re-towed to my regular repair shop the day after the accident. I did it to swap the cd unit and clean the vehicle in peace since I knew all the guys who worked there. The evaluator inspected the car 3 days after the accident. If they calculate it as a total loss (damage exceeding 2/3 of the value), they'll take the car away immediately. You better get on it and remove your mods ASAP.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by anaximander
You can have it towed wherever you want, but the insurance will cover only the initial towing. I had it re-towed to my regular repair shop the day after the accident. I did it to swap the cd unit and clean the vehicle in peace since I knew all the guys who worked there. The evaluator inspected the car 3 days after the accident. If they calculate it as a total loss (damage exceeding 2/3 of the value), they'll take the car away immediately. You better get on it and remove your mods ASAP.
Got it, Thanks!!!
Old 09-29-2003, 11:50 PM

Don't forget to give us an update after everything's settled. Many members are ungrateful for seeking and receiving help, then never letting us know what happened so that we can learn as well. It's called reciprocative support.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Are your selling your set of black leather seats?? I'm looking to buy a set of black leather seats in Very good condition. I'd have to see it to make you an offer maybe you can send a picture....sorry to hear about your car, hope you had full cover.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:26 AM
Getting back to his roots

If they total it you can buy it back for a small fee, part it out and make that fee back 5x over (this assumes you have a place to store it).
Old 09-30-2003, 09:35 AM

if the car is truly gone.. can i have ur suspention?damn dude.. i feel so bad, i would cry if something like that happen to my max... im soo sorry. i guess you will be looking for a new ride?? are you going to stay with the max org ??..
im glad to hear that everyone is ok.. mistakes SUCK

i say get a 240 they can drift...
Old 09-30-2003, 11:02 AM

Anaximander, no prob dude. I'll post back when I hear something.

Mizeree, I will probably buy it back and then part out. The interior/leather seats are in amazing condition and might go in the new max I will hopefully find. If they total it, and I buy it back, then will they lower the settlement amount? Sorry for all these questions as I don't know a d@mn thing.

Chris, once I find out how much settlement and if I'll get another max, I'll then consider selling the suspension. Otherwise, I want to keep it.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

All they will likely do if you keep it is deduct the salvage value of the car from the total settlement. So if the car is worth say $3500, and a junkyard would give them $500 for it, then they will hand you a check for $3000, and you keep the car. Kinda depends on the insurance company, though. The last time, it was my insurance company, and they did like I said above. One other time the other guy's insurance paid, and they didn't let me buy the car back. Best just to wait and see what they say. Sorry to hear about it. Sucks, either way.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:04 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

if your gonna be parting out id love to get en ENTIRE black interior everything for the dash to the seats to the carpet to the door panels to the rear carpet on the rear deck. im talking all of it. let meknow.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

I made a list like this: This is just for the modifications. ie.. this should be added onto the current value. or this is looked to be value added items. Some items were *cough* embellished *cough* but not out of line if you had to pay retail
1992 MAXIMA 5-SP COSTS OF REPAIR AND MISC

ENGINE VE30DE
MILES: ENGINE = 60,000 MILES
BODY = 144,000 MILES

INTERIOR LEATHER. IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
DRIVER'S SIDE AIRBAG

EXTERIOR: METALLIC GOLD. IN EXCELLENT CONDITION

WORK HISTORY. NOT FACTORED IN AS THIS ENGINE IS NOT IN THE CAR
ON OLD MOTOR: N/A
75,000 MILES: NISSAN REPLACED VTC ASSEMBLIES N/A
85,00 MILES: REDID THE WORK THAT NISSAN SCREWED UP N/A
NEW CLUTCH, ACTUALLY DID TWICE BECAUSE OF WRONG PARTS N/A
NEW EXHAUST MANIFOLD STUDS N/A
NEW SEALS(TRANNY, MAIN, REAR,) N/A
HEAD GASKET N/A
EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS N/A
INJECTORS REMOVED AND SERVICED BY RC ENGINEERING N/A
NEWER MOTOR
143,000 MILES BOUGHT NEWER MOTOR 60,000 MILES $1,949.00
MAINTANCE ON THIS NEW MOTOR
NEW EXHAUST MANFIOLD STUDS $50.00
EXHAUST MANIFOLD GASKETS $20.00
PERFORMANCE CLUTCH BY ADVANCED CLUTCH TECHNOLOGY
STREET CLUTCH KIT $320.00
AMSOIL SYNTHETIC TRANNY FLUID $60.00
ENGINE MODIFICATIONS:
K&N AIR INTAKE(CONE STYLE) $100.00
PERFORMANCE Y-PIPE (EXHAUST COLLECTOR) $220.00
PERFORMANCE CATALYTIC CONVERTOR (RT TECHNOLOGIES) $200.00
PERFORMANCE MANDREL BENT CAT-BACK EXHAUST $250.00
2000 YEAR NISSAN MAXIMA DUAL CHAMBER MUFFLER $200.00
SUSPENSION MODIFICATIONS
EIBACH PERFORMANCE SPRINGS $300.00
TOKICO PERFORMANCE SHOCKS $210.00
ADDCO PERFORMANCE REAR SWARBAR $120.00
SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES FRONT SWAYBAR $130.00
1996 MUSTANG GT 17X8 RIMS $400.00
KUMHO 235-45-17" TIRES $535.00
OTHER MODIFICATIONS
STS SHORT SHIFTER $100.00
FM MODULATED 6 CD DISC CHANGER $100.00

NOW NONE OF THE ABOVE WORK EXCEPT FOR THE NEWER ENGINE HAS THE LABOR
INVOLVED IN THE INSTALLING OF ALL THESE REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS.

TOTAL COSTS OF REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS WITH ENGINE $5,264.00
TOTAL COSTS OF REPAIRS/MODIFICATIONS W/O ENGINE $3,315.00
Old 09-30-2003, 02:40 PM

Bronco is correct, it depends on the insurance if they'll let you buy it back. However, instead of asking insurance specific questions here, the logical step is clarifying these issues with the insurance itself.

Jeff, what was the purpose of the list? Was it pre or post crash? Anyone has experience with insuring a modded max, i.e. how much more are the premiums, what percentage will they reimburse you for etc.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:43 PM
I'm needing a caw

I used the list to up the value of my own totalled maxima. It went from $3xxx.00-ish to $8,xxxx! But I had to shell out $1500 to buy it back. I also had to shell out some $ for some bogus rental fees but that was my fault. Live and learn.

So $6500 and I got my wrecked car back. But I did ALOT of work on the car just prior to being hit! I like 1 week after doing the engine/tranny/clutch swap! arg!
Old 09-30-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I used the list to up the value of my own totalled maxima. It went from $3xxx.00-ish to $8,xxxx! But I had to shell out $1500 to buy it back. I also had to shell out some $ for some bogus rental fees but that was my fault. Live and learn.

So $6500 and I got my wrecked car back. But I did ALOT of work on the car just prior to being hit! I like 1 week after doing the engine/tranny/clutch swap! arg!
Damn, that sucked. Why did you have to give them 1500? Since the value of your car went up, it probably shouldn't have been considered a total, i.e. damage 2/3 of the car value. This is assuming it wasn't that bad that the repairs would amount to over 5k. I also didn't know that you could claim the upgrades after the accident, could depend on the insurance again.
Old 09-30-2003, 02:58 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well not upgrades perse. Even if you just replaced everything with stock parts, it would have been pricey. ie.. stock nissan Y with new oem Y, new oem muffler, new oem alternator etc.......

The repair estimate was over $6000 grand. So even with the new value, it was still a total. They estimate the buyback as a % of the replacement value so if that value goes up, then the buyback goes up. The original buyback was $300. Believe me I tried to hold them to that value but the insurance chick was being a biatch. But even at $1500, that's the value of the VE30DE with 60k and a new $300 alternator.

http://community.webshots.com/album/64902083oJatlG

Damn, that sucked. Why did you have to give them 1500? Since the value of your car went up, it probably shouldn't have been considered a total, i.e. damage 2/3 of the car value. This is assuming it wasn't that bad that the repairs would amount to over 5k. I also didn't know that you could claim the upgrades after the accident, could depend on the insurance again.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:42 PM

Got it, but did they substract 1500 from 6000 repair estimate and gave you the difference? If they did, then you couldn't have claimed the 300 figure since it would have to be deducted from the repair estimate before the upgrades list.
Old 09-30-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

No. After I argued with them on the phone many times, I faxed them that list. Then they determined my replacement value at about $8000. I was surprised! Then they said the buyback was x% of the value. So using simple math, $8000 - $1500(buyback) = $6500 and I get my car back. Not bad. The replacement value of the car has nothing to do with the repair estimate. They only revelant thing the repair cost does is determine if the car is worth repairing or just totalling. Since the repair cost was $6000+, the insurance company just totalled it.

Got it, but did they substract 1500 from 6000 repair estimate and gave you the difference? If they did, then you couldn't have claimed the 300 figure since it would have to be deducted from the repair estimate before the upgrades list.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:40 PM

No. After I argued with them on the phone many times, I faxed them that list. Then they determined my replacement value at about $8000. I was surprised! Then they said the buyback was x% of the value. So using simple math, $8000 - $1500(buyback) = $6500 and I get my car back. Not bad. The replacement value of the car has nothing to do with the repair estimate. They only revelant thing the repair cost does is determine if the car is worth repairing or just totalling. Since the repair cost was $6000+, the insurance company just totalled it.
Interesting. I'm surprised they'd do that because if the repair is 6k, you basically earn $500. One last question, what insurance was that?
Old 09-30-2003, 04:46 PM
I'm needing a caw

No the repair was actually over $6000. They just stopped there as that was their total loss limit already. If they finished the estimate, it was supposed to be more like $7000. It needed a new pass side quarter cut and welded in. I even agree to used parts to get the price down but the labor was just too much. I think another shop could have did it but what the hell.

The insurance company was some business insurance company but I was talking to CNA ultimately.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:29 PM

I have a 91 SE, I loved that car. I jumped it off a cliff into Sawmill Run Creek here in Pittsburgh in the dead of winter (thankfully, the creek was mostly dry/frozen and not raging with water as it does other times of the year). It was wild, 17' drop. I hit the curb going about 30MPH. The front end bucked up in the air and I flew dukes of hazzard-style hitting the bottom of the creek bed with the front end slightly, but almost landed flat on all 4 wheels. What a solid car, it basically saved my life. It was totaled (took 2 large tow trucks with winches to pull it out). All four sides and the roof were trashed. The crash was caused by pure ice and white out conditions (and a section of missing guard rail-- but I had waived TORT on my insurance to save money due to speeding tickets which I learned the hard way also removes your ability to sue). I walked away from the accident with a fractured sternum and some cracked ribs (caused by the automatic seat belt that locked on impact, but better than being shot out the window eh?)....

My 91SE saved my life ;-) Now I own two others, a 93 and a 94 GXE (neither I like as much as my old 91 SE!). My poor 91... I miss it! I went back to the scene about a year later to show a friend where I crashed and saw one of my old side-mirrors was still laying down in the bottom of the creek...

Maxima is a nice solid ride. I know this from 1st hand experience!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:49 PM

*i just fell off my chair reading that post
OMG!!! HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!! OMFG

i love this place..
Old 10-01-2003, 08:44 AM
I'm needing a caw

Got pics? xxxxxx
Old 10-01-2003, 09:37 PM

leojs, that's freaking amazing!
Old 10-06-2003, 10:15 PM

UPDATE:

So I got back the settlement amount.
$3018 Base Local market value
+ 575 Options
+ 26 recent additions ($250 struts/boots)
$3619 Subtotal
- 500 deductible
- 400 salvage
$2719 GRAND TOTAL

Ummm, excuse me Nationwide, I can't get that SE 5spd I wanted. Can I argue the settlement amount much more, or is it pretty much set? I know my car is much better maintained than 98% of the ones being sold on the market. Isn't that worth something?

Thanks for the advice!

This is so sad.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:20 PM

I don't know man, it's a bit on the lower end of expectations, but it's still in the fair range. You have $2700 plus the rest of the car, which you can part out and make up any valuation discrepancies.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by ghostmax
UPDATE:

+ 575 Options
$3619 Subtotal
- 500 deductible
- 400 salvage
$2719 GRAND TOTAL

Ummm, excuse me Nationwide, I can't get that SE 5spd I wanted. Can I argue the settlement amount much more, or is it pretty much set? I know my car is much better maintained than 98% of the ones being sold on the market. Isn't that worth something?

Thanks for the advice!

This is so sad.
Damn! that deductible is HIGH!
That sucks. Although it also matters where you live because around here D.C. they go around 3500 base price.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:13 PM
I'm needing a caw

You do know that's just their first offer right? Where is the taxes? I know you did some research on some clean maximas for sale. I went though 3 offers.

UPDATE:

+ 575 Options
$3619 Subtotal
- 500 deductible
- 400 salvage
$2719 GRAND TOTAL

Thanks for the advice!

This is so sad.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:41 PM

You do know that's just their first offer right? Where is the taxes? I know you did some research on some clean maximas for sale. I went though 3 offers.
Pardon my ignorance, so they add sales tax to that pre-tax amount, making the total settlement higher?! I don't know a thing about this process, obviously.

Also, you suggest that I bring to their attention comparable Max's with a higher sale price to raise my value?

They faxed me a report performed by CCC Valuescope, and it's a "comprehensive" (*cough b/s*), "ubiased" average of local car values.

Much thanks for the advice.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.claimcoach.com/index.htm?...tm~bottomright (just reference)
http://www.stephencryanpc.com/about.html (need to read)
http://www.consumersautodetective.co...settlement.htm (good ref)

BTW. They owe you a rental car for the time your car is down.

Pardon my ignorance, so they add sales tax to that pre-tax amount, making the total settlement higher?! I don't know a thing about this process, obviously.

Also, you suggest that I bring to their attention comparable Max's with a higher sale price to raise my value?

They faxed me a report performed by CCC Valuescope, and it's a "comprehensive" (*cough b/s*), "ubiased" average of local car values.

Much thanks for the advice.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:29 AM

BTW. They owe you a rental car for the time your car is down.
Not unless it's included in his coverage.