3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Remanufactured Fuel Injectors: Good or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 11:38 AM

My '93 GXE has just been diagnosed with two bad injectors
and one that is questionable. I just got through replacing
one this past weekend thinking that I only had one bad one
and now three more look like they are in need.

Anyway, you guys all know these things are about $100 each,
but carparts.com sells remanufactured Beck/Arnley injectors
for $64.67 each and right now I can get $40 off of a $200+
purchase, so I could add o-rings and gaskets to get over
$200 and get $40 off. In the end, the injectors would be
about $50 each (for 3).

Anyone use "remanufactured" fuel injectors before?

If we weren't talking about a $150 price difference, I would
just buy the new ones and be done with it, but that's a
decent chunk of change.
Old 02-15-2001, 06:39 PM

I've had to replace 2 injectors two separate times. i got new nissan ones each time..

remanufactured anything is sketchy... if you can afford the new ones i get the new ones, if not get the remanufactured. it all depends on what you think is best...

Fro

Originally posted by wiseguy
Anyone use "remanufactured" fuel injectors before?
Old 02-16-2001, 07:54 PM
Gorge Hiker

Injectors

I discovered last night that I have one bad injector and one marginal one. I debated whether to replace just those 2, or all 6. My 91 SE has 123,000 miles on it, so I decided to replace them all. I'm starting tonight and hope to finish some time tomorrow afternoon.

I checked with about 6 or 7 different sources, and several have questioned the quality of Beck Arnley injectors. These were around $73 new, with the Nissan's and some Bosch's running around $100 each. They all wondered why they were priced so much cheaper. I didn't ask about re-manufactured ones. I personally wouldn't consider using a remanufactured anything on something as important as injectors. They are a finely tuned piece of machinery.

I decided to get the parts new from a dealer. He worked with me and I got them for $100 each. I figured that this is a one time procedure, so I'll do them all and use what they would have used. I don't 'plan' on being back into this part of my engine for a while.

Wish me luck!

Old 02-16-2001, 08:02 PM

<b>All</b> RC performance injectors are rebored and remanufactured stock injectors. Just make sure you get them from a reputable company..
Old 02-20-2001, 09:46 AM

After debating on this issue a bit, I happened to see the posting about Ultimate Z (ulzmax@ultimatez.com) giving maxima.org folks a 25% discount on OEM parts. I sent Coz an e-mail inquiring about injectors, o-rings, and gaskets and got a quote of around $266 for everything (3 injectors, 3 sets of o-rings, and gaskets).

I'm saving about $70 over what the local deal wants and he probably gets his parts from the same people Ultimate Z gets theirs from. Coz even figured out that one of the gaskets the dealer sold me was the wrong one (I replaced a fuel injector a couple of weekends ago and had the part numbers from their receipt).

Anyway, I'm spending a little over $20 extra per injector over what I would if I bought the "remanufactured" ones, but that is a small price to pay for peace of mind especially if I keep my Max for a while.

Now, what to do about my 120K service...? Guess I'll need to contact Coz at Ultimate Z and get some prices...
Old 02-20-2001, 10:02 AM

Coz is da man!
Old 02-20-2001, 07:19 PM

Read this thread with interest. How lucky was I that the ex was standing in the driveway when I pulled in tonight..delivering the dishwasher I bought from Lowe's on Sunday. :-) Car was purring like a baby when I pulled in. I turned it off, then my (our, actually) son wanted his Dad to see the engine and he asked me to start it again. Lo' and behold..but what do I have upon restart...putt, putt, putt. I even turned it off and back on three times..same thing. His opinion was that it was a lifter. Something about where it was coming from. I said "but it sounds NOTHING like the Jeep" and he said something about being behind aluminum instead of steel so the sound would be different. He's never heard the VTC or the exhaust stud, but I will read up on the lifter issue now.

Saddest dayum part of all this....my jeep just had 6 new lifters put in two months before it said "adios" to the world. $800 bucks...<sniff> which of course, isn't considered at all in the insurance settlement. <sob>
Old 02-20-2001, 07:29 PM

You know, I am so freaking BLONDE sometimes I actually scare myself!!!! I'm confusing the two issues because when I had the new lifters put in...I had one leaking fuel injector replaced on the jeep. Of course, they wanted to replace them all, but one was obviously the culprit..and at $100 a pop, and because I needed the new lifters more, and logicically because of where the lifters were in the engine as opposed to the fuel injectors, I decided I'd only replace the one that was leaking. I drove with the leak for about 6 months. It was a standing joke when I asked "anyone wanna ride with me?" on the daily lunch jaunts. And we frequently had a debate on whether I should drive with a little gas or a full tank. :-) Not funny, I know, I was lucky. Anyway, I was reading the thread thinking lifter...and somewhere confused that with lifters. DUH!! <smack>
Old 02-24-2001, 09:10 PM

The fuel injectors, o-rings, and gaskets from Ultimate Z
arrived yesterday. The injectors are identical to what the
local Nissan dealer sold me for $113 each except I paid
<$85 each for them through Ultimate Z.

Took me a little over two hours to change the two "bad"
injectors and the one questionable one - could've done it
quicker, but wanted to get it right and not screw something
up. Most difficult thing about the whole replacement was
either tracking down the socket with the 7mm allen head
sticking out (no one seemed to have any in stock) or
breaking the screws loose on the half-moon metal thingies
that hold the fuel injector in place. Don't know why the
dealership wanted to charge me six hours labor (@$55/hr)
to change the injectors when it might take three hours
tops...maybe they thought I had an SE...

Anyway, started the car up after putting everything back in
place and it's running smooth; none of that "flup, flup,
flup", running on less than six cylinder crap. I'm glad my
old Max is back to normal, now I have to start thinking
about the timing belt replacement...