5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Headers for a 5.5th gen really harder to find nowadays?

Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 AM

Headers for a 5.5th gen really harder to find nowadays?

I just got my 7th maxima. It's a 2002 SE 6spd HLSD with 100000 miles.

I plan to get a headers kit installed to remove the pre-cats (the 63 years old original owner drove it like a granny and fueled on regular gas, these cats aren't in good shape, im pretty sure.)

I've been searching a lot on the market for a good set in good shape (new if needed) but I found nothing new in a box. OBX, hotshot, Cattman...nowhere to be found.

What can you guys do to help me?

Warpspeed is about to get their y-pipe built and stocked, ready to ship.
BRM got their 3 inch catback ready to ship.

I'm only missing the headers.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:43 AM

If anyone has a good condition set for sale, chime in.
Old 08-17-2015, 09:00 AM

http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h11389s.html That's where I got mine from earlier this year. They are in stock as far as I know.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, i'm waiting for the confirmation if they have'em in stock, then I'm going to order right after. Thanks!!
Old 08-17-2015, 06:50 PM

Hot Shot and Cattman are no longer in business. I doubt you'll find any unused ones floating around.

The headers should come with a y-pipe so don't jump the gun and get one yet.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:17 PM

sparktec is out of stock.
Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Obx?
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 PM

manzo? i think you can find on ebay
Old 08-18-2015, 04:45 AM

they dont make any for 5.5th gens.
I'll be willing to buy a used set in good condition.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:33 AM

Just a quick little note here.
Any headers will work from 4th gens as well. There are SLIGHT changes, such as added rear O2 sensors and you'll need to block off the EGR port. Not really that big of a deal to be honest. I am running with ported out cast 4th gen manifolds and a Budget Y pipe from a 4th gen as well.
I wouldn't purchase anything from ebay though just a disaster waiting to happen. Just wait for the OBX's to come back in stock OR GUT your precats and get a performance Y because you get about the same out of both.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:53 PM

I have at home a set of 4th gen manifolds with EGR plugged, a 4th gen budget y-pipe also.

I also have an Altima headers set but I know they need to be modified to fit properly. I will look into 4th gen obx headers as well, thanks for mentioning.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:15 PM

It seems as hard to find new than a 5.5th gen set. The first I find in stock, I buy them directly.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:03 AM

gut the precats and move on....
Old 08-19-2015, 09:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...ket-parts.html

Originally Posted by Brudface
Just a quick little note here.
Any headers will work from 4th gens as well. There are SLIGHT changes, such as added rear O2 sensors and you'll need to block off the EGR port. Not really that big of a deal to be honest..
I've had 4th gen headers on my 5.5 gen for about 11 years and 120k miles.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:40 PM

the set mentioned above is sold. Been three years I left the maxima world, got back into it because I needed a 4 door car but the most I search, the most I see there's a serious shortage of new in boxes performance parts.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:06 PM

weird question but still interesting: do 4th gen catback fit on a 5th gen? the two floorpan looks identical to me.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:35 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by VQ'ed
weird question but still interesting: do 4th gen catback fit on a 5th gen? the two floorpan looks identical to me.
In short, no. https://maxima.org/forums/4th-genera...t-cattman.html

Rear axle seems to be the issue, this thread linked is opposite of the question, but I think it applies.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:40 PM

thanks nmexmax. it cleared out the doubts. I contacted BRM and Warpspeed for the portions of the exhaust I can change easily. After counting, I might RMT the **** out my car. I have 550cc, found a utec for 350$ and I have a nice turbo for that application at home for that. I promised the wife that I wont start a modding spree on the new max, the devil on my shoulder won finally...

Last edited by VQ'ed; 08-21-2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:17 AM

Another question:
I have a set of oem 4th gen exhaust manifold and a budget y-pipe. Would I benefit installing these over stock 100000miles oem 5.5th gen exh manifold with pre-cats?

I fear melting these becausr I drive the car pretty hard. the first owner eas a 64years old lady that granny driven the car.

your thoughts?
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM

Another question:
I have a set of oem 4th gen exhaust manifold and a budget y-pipe. Would I benefit installing these over stock 100000miles oem 5.5th gen exh manifold with pre-cats?

I fear melting these becausr I drive the car pretty hard. the first owner eas a 64years old lady that granny driven the car.

your thoughts?
That would probably help. The problem with the 3.5 manifolds is that one of them is very restrictive. In the pictures you can see the one on the right combines the three runners and forces them through a very small hole. The hole is about the same size as just one of the exhaust ports. No matter what you do with the rest of the exhaust, you'll never overcome that. This is one reason why the 3.5 responds better to headers than the 3.0 cars.

I don't see any reason why the 3.0 manifolds would burn out.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:24 PM

wow, now thats convincing. Whole lotta thanks men!
Old 08-26-2015, 09:20 PM

I'll sell mine before winter comes but I need oem exhaust stuff to put in its place!

Canada member
Old 08-27-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
That would probably help. The problem with the 3.5 manifolds is that one of them is very restrictive. In the pictures you can see the one on the right combines the three runners and forces them through a very small hole. The hole is about the same size as just one of the exhaust ports. No matter what you do with the rest of the exhaust, you'll never overcome that. This is one reason why the 3.5 responds better to headers than the 3.0 cars.
so gutting precats on a 3.5 isnt as performance gaining as one would think?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by george__
I'll sell mine before winter comes but I need oem exhaust stuff to put in its place!

Canada member
I have both manifolds (pictured) and the front precat still in good shape. I sold the rear precat a few years ago. I took these off at about 80,000 miles.
I have the heat shielding too.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
so gutting precats on a 3.5 isnt as performance gaining as one would think?
I don't know. I've never seen a before and after dyno and I doubt the difference would be enough to register on the butt dyno.

I do know that an exhaust system is only as big as it's tightest restriction.

I like the idea of replacing the stock manifolds with 3.0 manifolds (if they fit) and eliminating the precats all together with a Y-pipe. Probably the best option short of headers. I haven't done this so I don't know how everything would fit.

You could also replace just the front manifold (the restrictive one) and gut the rear precat. This would probably require a custom or modified Y-pipe though.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM

The 3L OEM exhaust manifolds bolt right up to the 3.5. As I said before just plug the EGR port and be done with it. The budget Y has 1.5" collectors merging to a 2.5 out to the oem cat. It's a pretty decent setup to be honest, probably JUST as comparable to headers maybe off a touch or two but worth it.
I port matched my 3l manifolds, both in the runners and the outlet. Went to town with a die grinder worked very well, 50000Kms since install no issues EXCEPT the stupid flex pipe.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:28 PM

Performance is not my first criteria for removing these precats, I just dont want to melt them and getting **** aspirated inside the cylinders, scarring them and developping oil consumption trouble, or at least aggraving it (like QR25 altimas...)

Nmexmax has 4th gen obx headers on his 03 A33B, so I assume the fitment dimension wise is good. I already have oem 4th gen manifold at home with a budget Y-pipe in good shape.

So I remove the precats/manifolds altogether (a hell of a job it seems...), get at least minimal improvements in exhaust flow, selling my old precats to the cat guy that comes twice a month at my shop for 160$.

I can't justify buying old/used cattman headers for 700/800$ (dont forget my el cheapo canadian money worth 30% less these days) I paid my BRM catback 490$/642$ canadian $$ monday, ish.

I found brand new 4th gen OBX headers for around 500$can but after reading several threads on severe fitment issues, I dont want to deal with that either. Get your parts build right or just dont build them, you know.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Brudface
The 3L OEM exhaust manifolds bolt right up to the 3.5. As I said before just plug the EGR port and be done with it. The budget Y has 1.5" collectors merging to a 2.5 out to the oem cat. It's a pretty decent setup to be honest, probably JUST as comparable to headers maybe off a touch or two but worth it.
I port matched my 3l manifolds, both in the runners and the outlet. Went to town with a die grinder worked very well, 50000Kms since install no issues EXCEPT the stupid flex pipe.
I like that!
Hey, I'm from Montreal, maybe we could meet sometime and enjoy a good beer at Brasseur du temps in Gatineau
Old 08-27-2015, 03:33 PM

I like that!
Hey, I'm from Montreal, maybe we could meet sometime and enjoy a good beer at Brasseur du temps in Gatineau

I don't drink, and I try not to drive in Quebec. Loud exhaust, High tint, Lowered car, Expired tags. That'd be quite the fine. In Ontario the most they could do is 65 dollar 72 hour fine for the tag. Then I'd go do an e-test, But I refuse to do it. I know I'd pass as its just a money grab BS scheme some Conservative A-hole cooked up, who will remain nameless. (Mike "the Dyke" Harris)
Old 08-28-2015, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
I don't know. I've never seen a before and after dyno and I doubt the difference would be enough to register on the butt dyno.

I do know that an exhaust system is only as big as it's tightest restriction.

I like the idea of replacing the stock manifolds with 3.0 manifolds (if they fit) and eliminating the precats all together with a Y-pipe. Probably the best option short of headers. I haven't done this so I don't know how everything would fit.

You could also replace just the front manifold (the restrictive one) and gut the rear precat. This would probably require a custom or modified Y-pipe though.
thanks for the input, i had my hopes up for a few more ponies, but this may not be the case.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
thanks for the input, i had my hopes up for a few more ponies, but this may not be the case.
You could probably scavenge some 3.0 manifolds from a U-pull it yard and get an aftermarket 3.0 Y-pipe. You could sell the precats to offset the cost.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:25 AM

Sorry to necro an old thread but i was hoping to get some info from @Brudface and @VQ'ed regarding 4th gen manifolds on a 5.5 gen. Im gonna be getting a 5.5 gen here sometime soon and im looking for a solution to removing the precats. Of all the research ive done it seems to me that the 4th gen manifolds + y pipe might be the best move. My 2 main concerns are fitment issues and the O2 sensors, will they need to be relocated at all etc. Any feedback with knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

edit: @NmexMAX i saw you said you ran this setup as well

Last edited by y0ey; 04-29-2020 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 11:41 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by y0ey
Sorry to necro an old thread but i was hoping to get some info from @Brudface and @VQ'ed regarding 4th gen manifolds on a 5.5 gen. Im gonna be getting a 5.5 gen here sometime soon and im looking for a solution to removing the precats. Of all the research ive done it seems to me that the 4th gen manifolds + y pipe might be the best move. My 2 main concerns are fitment issues and the O2 sensors, will they need to be relocated at all etc. Any feedback with knowledge/info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
If you're not going for performance, then just gut the stock ones (unless you don't want to deal with the rust and snap all the bolts off lol). The only difference should be EGR, iirc.

If you want headers, then contact Thomas Perdue on facebook. You can send him altima headers and he'll fab it for 5.5. Price is very reasonable from what I remember.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 04-29-2020 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-29-2020, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
If you're not going for performance, then just gut the stock ones (unless you don't want to deal with the rust and snap all the bolts off lol). The only difference should be EGR, iirc.

If you want headers, then contact Thomas Perdue on facebook. You can send him altima headers and he'll fab it for 5.5. Price is very reasonable from what I remember.
thanks for the input! Yea im not as concerned about performance as i am getting rid of the precats, but it would be nice lol. i have seen him in the FB group and people say he is the go to guy for Y Pipes. I was concerned about the fitment of Altima headers which is why i didnt mention going that route initially.

edit: not even sure which brand of Altima headers to go for etc (manzo?)

Last edited by y0ey; 04-29-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:18 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn

I was just going to say to get ahold of him. Yeah he’ll hook you up.
Old 04-29-2020, 10:24 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by y0ey
thanks for the input! Yea im not as concerned about performance as i am getting rid of the precats, but it would be nice lol. i have seen him in the FB group and people say he is the go to guy for Y Pipes. I was concerned about the fitment of Altima headers which is why i didnt mention going that route initially.

edit: not even sure which brand of Altima headers to go for etc (manzo?)
Yes, Manzo.
Old 04-30-2020, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
I was just going to say to get ahold of him. Yeah he’ll hook you up.
nice to see you around dude =)
Old 04-30-2020, 05:12 AM

Thanks for the input, looks like ill try out the Altima headers and hit him up for a custom Y Pipe then.
Old 05-03-2020, 03:40 PM

Plenty of headers out there...
Old 05-03-2020, 08:50 PM

5.5gen OBX headers are still for sale on eBay.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers for a 5.5th gen really harder to find nowadays?