3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2001, 01:19 PM

Hey guys, I need to replace my rear two Bose Speakers, not the amps. Does anyone know where I can get a good deal on them...and dont say the dealer bc they want $500 each for speaker and amp. Sux Thanx
Old 02-15-2001, 02:23 PM

Hey there,

Had the same problem. But you can use any speaker with the amp. I had put 2 Sony Explode 6X9's in the rear. They sounded pretty good. I just needed something until I put my system in there. However any speaker will work as long as it fits in the space back there. All you need is someone who knows what they are doing.

Chris C.
89 Max SE
Old 02-15-2001, 04:14 PM

take a look

you gotta take a look in the for sale section if you want some used ones, i got 4 comin my way and i got them for 35 plus shipping.. also if you wanna pay about 80 a piece you can go to this site, i have heard nothing but good things about his work...http://www.davescoolstuff.com/
Old 02-15-2001, 06:31 PM

that's incorrect

What?

Bose speakers are exclusive to Bose receivers/amplifiers. They have a much lower impedience which is about 1 ohm per speaker. From everything I have heard on the list for these years, this is not a wise idea. If you were to mismatch the speaker, I gather you would not only have poor sound quality, but also overheat your amp/s.

When I had my white Maxima, I put in a 6X9 from a Cadillac Bose system and it must have had even a lower impedience because it was much louder than the other Maxima/Bose speaker. This could have been because my other speaker was shot too.

Originally posted by pimpofbrooklyn
Hey there,

Had the same problem. But you can use any speaker with the amp. I had put 2 Sony Explode 6X9's in the rear. They sounded pretty good. I just needed something until I put my system in there. However any speaker will work as long as it fits in the space back there. All you need is someone who knows what they are doing.

Chris C.
89 Max SE
Old 02-15-2001, 07:04 PM

i beg to differ

you can put any bose speaker in any max thats a third gen, the only thing they changed on them was the way that the head unit looks, the speakers are the same.. I work for nissan dealership and have serviced many... I have a 90 and i am gettin speakers from a 89, same stereo,... and on the website, you send him your speakers and he refurbishes them for about 80 a piece and i know others on this website have had it done and i have heard nothin but good things about him...
Old 02-15-2001, 08:58 PM

re-read

Read his message again. He said any speaker and spoke of the Sony speaker. I agree what you say completely and know that 3rd gen Bose components are interchangeable. He, however, is talking about non Bose 6 X 9's.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:13 PM

yea You can only use the lower ohm bose speakers back there. Im the one that sold all 4 old ones for 35 bucks. I would recommend replacig the whole bose system because something else will break next.
Old 02-15-2001, 09:53 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Not to get everyone in a "tizzy," but what is wrong with using different speakers on the Bose amps? It's already been said that the bose speakers have a LOWER ohm rating than standard speakers, right? Right. Then by installing higher ohm speakers (the Sony's), it should only cut back on the power of the bose amp and it will not over heat. If you drop the ohm load on an amp it will produce more power thus more heat, not the other way around. But, yes, it will decrease sound quality by increasing the ohms, that's a given. Though, if you can't afford Bose, Hail to Sony! Just thought the man shouldn't be put down or told wrong due to his (ahem) choice of speakers. Good 6x9's are hard to come by. I replaced mine with Kicker comp free airs and they still don't come close to the Bose, close, but not all the way!
Old 02-15-2001, 10:09 PM

intent was not to put anyone down, just explain. You're theory could be right. My theory is if you're trying to push power through more resistance, that too would make the amp overheat. For example, if you run electricity through a copper wire (low resistance), heat is not generated. However, lets run electricity through something that is not as conductive (more resistance), wouldn't more heat be generated? I really don't know, as I'm not an expert. Any Engineering majors?

I do know that too little resistance will cause it to heat up also, as you said.
Old 02-15-2001, 11:02 PM

geez

If I could suggest anything do yourself a favor and either rip the whole Bose system out and start a new, or contact Dave at http://davescoolstuff.com. I had to replace the cd unit and 2 rear Bose speakers in my car, and guy only charged me $285 bucks! Where can you find that good of a deal even if you replace the whole system? Its the best way to go, plus you get the keep the great quality that Bose produces. :-)
Old 02-16-2001, 12:40 PM

thanx guys for all replying, I did talk to Dave at davescoolstuff.com and they refurbish speakers for 80....not bad but thats not including the amp....those are 110. someone said to replace all four speakers....the fronts sound fine but does anyone think its really worth it? I want to keep the Bose fac. speakers and amps and hopefully will be run two JL 12s come this summer. Thanx again.
Old 02-16-2001, 02:04 PM

Other spkrs will not hurt Bose amps

Non-technical answer: A non-Bose speaker will not hurt a Bose amp, but a Bose speaker MIGHT hurt a non-Bose amp.

Some people have been fine with a non-Bose amp and Bose spkrs. In general, if you don't turn it up until it distorts (or the lights on the radio go dim) you probably won't have a problem.

Reason why:
An amplifier puts out a certain voltage, and is designed to supply current for a particular resistance speaker. If the speaker resistance is higher than the designed spec, it will pull less current -- no problem, but the sound level/quality will not be ideal. If the resistance is lower, it will pull more current than the amp was designed for. This can cause the amp to overheat, etc.

BTW. I have two rear Bose speakers that might be good. My guess is the amps were shot, but I really don't know. I will sell them for $10 + shipping if anyone wants to take a gamble. I am in central NC -- zip code 27312.