3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Help hooking up XMRadio without FM Mod or Cassette Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help hooking up XMRadio without FM Mod or Cassette Adaptor

Does anyone know if there is an aux input or some sort of cable to connect XM to the stock Bose radio for a 1990 Maxima SE? I don't want to use the cassette adaptor or the FM modulator.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:42 AM
STFU n00b!

nope. bose sucks. replace w/ better stereo, or use the FMmod. you won't lose much quality anyway because the bose sucks so bad.
Old 10-07-2003, 08:33 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

couldnt of said it any better myself
Old 10-07-2003, 09:30 AM

nope. bose sucks. replace w/ better stereo, or use the FMmod. you won't lose much quality anyway because the bose sucks so bad.
He's right, ditch the bose stereo head unit. Get a better head unit which already has XM ready capability and the aux output.

Although, you don't have to replace the speakers if it's not in your budget. I fully upgraded my system and kept the stock speakers. They are perfect, as they are independently driven. All you have to do is cross the bose amps over to 4 ohms so they are compatible with other amplifiers.

I'm running an alpine v-power 4 channel to my bose speakers and then a RF 500.2 punch to 2 polk audio 10"s. I enjoy clear distortionless sound.
10" Polk's w/ Custom Boxes
Xplode and RF Bass Remote
Old 10-07-2003, 11:48 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jack.
Although, you don't have to replace the speakers if it's not in your budget. I fully upgraded my system and kept the stock speakers. They are perfect, as they are independently driven. All you have to do is cross the bose amps over to 4 ohms so they are compatible with other amplifiers.
How exactly do you do that?
Old 10-07-2003, 11:56 AM

"All you have to do is cross the bose amps over to 4 ohms so they are compatible with other amplifiers."

Yes, yes how do you do that.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by trigatti
Does anyone know if there is an aux input or some sort of cable to connect XM to the stock Bose radio for a 1990 Maxima SE? I don't want to use the cassette adaptor or the FM modulator.
Nope, no inputs, no extra outputs. What you got is what you get. You want to add XM or Sirius without Cassette or FM Mod then you need to replace the head with something that has an external input.

Most units I've seen (less the $300) have either front input, or rear input. If it's rear input it USUALLY requires a special cable because you're really using the CD-changer inputs. So you can't have both.

Usually the front input models don't have an input for a CD-changer.

Of course if you decide on a new head, then get ready to either rewire the speakers, OR use that silly adapter Crutchfield (and others) sell.

My advice (unless you have absolutely NO money in which case you wouldn't be shelling out $9-15/month for RADIO?) is to rip the entire BOSE system out by the roots and leave it in the gutter where it belongs. Install an entire new system (head w/4 new speakers) that will leave you room for growth.
Old 10-07-2003, 03:32 PM

I'm sorry, I was in school when I wrote that post. What I meant to say was bypass the bose amplifier that are attached to the spakers, however I wouldn't reccomend it. On the DIY aspect, I was pleased to find the amps already bypassed because the previous owners had their bose head unit die on them a long while back. So they had some car audio place bypass the bose amps and rout them to some POS jensen tape deck. Lluckily for me I didn't have to bother.

If they had not been bypassed I probably would have replaced the speakers too since i've heard wicked stories about bose amps and electrical fires. Observe: Poor Car

So to answer your question, like everyone else said, ditch the bose altogether. It's a lot easier.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:34 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Jack.
I'm sorry, I was in school when I wrote that post. What I meant to say was bypass the bose amplifier that are attached to the spakers, however I wouldn't reccomend it. On the DIY aspect, I was pleased to find the amps already bypassed because the previous owners had their bose head unit die on them a long while back. So they had some car audio place bypass the bose amps and rout them to some POS jensen tape deck. Lluckily for me I didn't have to bother.

If they had not been bypassed I probably would have replaced the speakers too since i've heard wicked stories about bose amps and electrical fires. Observe: Poor Car

So to answer your question, like everyone else said, ditch the bose altogether. It's a lot easier.
One word: Dam!