3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

bosch vs japan brand for distributor cap and rotor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 11:58 PM

bosch vs japan brand for distributor cap and rotor

nissanpartstore.com has both . the bosch combo will run about 20 bucks wheras the other option called the "Japan" brand will be about 35. I dont think they would make any difference but has anyone had bad experience with bosch other than the spark plugs on ve's....unrelated ? has anyone replaced oem carpet? if so how much did you pay and how difficult was it to take seats out and everything else that it entails
Old 10-08-2003, 12:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd probably just get the bosch, or just go down to Napa and buy their OE replacement parts.

Also it seems people either have a good or bad experience with bosch plugs and their VE's/etc. Personally I've never had a problem with Bosch in a variety of motors, including VE's, however I replaced the Bosch Platinums that came in my car with NGK V-Power Coppers. I used Autolite 45's in the mustang, but if I were to do it again, I would probably use the NGK's, although the autolites are burning just fine.

All in all, with the stock VG ignition, you really arent going to have a problem with sparks jumping terminals and whatnot, so I'd go with the cheaper cap and rotor, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.
Old 10-08-2003, 05:23 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MrGone
I'd probably just get the bosch, or just go down to Napa and buy their OE replacement parts.

Also it seems people either have a good or bad experience with bosch plugs and their VE's/etc. Personally I've never had a problem with Bosch in a variety of motors, including VE's, however I replaced the Bosch Platinums that came in my car with NGK V-Power Coppers.
OE used the NGK laser platinums on the VE for a reason! They don't like to just spend money!
I used Autolite 45's in the mustang, but if I were to do it again, I would probably use the NGK's, although the autolites are burning just fine.
You should use motorcraft plugs in a domestic ford vehicle not autolite
All in all, with the stock VG ignition, you really arent going to have a problem with sparks jumping terminals and whatnot, so I'd go with the cheaper cap and rotor, I haven't heard of anyone having problems with them.
Cap and rotor just try to make sure that they have brass contacts not aluminum

It's my soap box and I'm not getting off!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:52 AM

dude, the OEM ones are aluminum. I've seen other posts here about problems with the non-OE caps/rotors. I don't see why one wouldn't buy a Nissan one.
Old 10-08-2003, 10:02 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by todamax
dude, the OEM ones are aluminum. I've seen other posts here about problems with the non-OE caps/rotors. I don't see why one wouldn't buy a Nissan one.
As are most OEM ones Copper/brass just happens to conduct electricity better
Old 10-08-2003, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
OE used the NGK laser platinums on the VE for a reason! They don't like to just spend money!
I know, but I'm using coppers anyway. Call me Dodge Different
You should use motorcraft plugs in a domestic ford vehicle not autolite
True, but really I could care less. When it comes down to it, it still has the blue oval plague
Cap and rotor just try to make sure that they have brass contacts not aluminum
Yeppers, I was going to mention this, but dont know much about the different distributor caps out for the VG, so I can't make a recommendation on brands/etc.
Old 10-08-2003, 06:21 PM

The thing is, both the VG and VE ignition systems are top-notch stock. Tweaking this and that, replacing this and that doesn't really help and in most cases causes other problems.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:35 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by todamax
The thing is, both the VG and VE ignition systems are top-notch stock. Tweaking this and that, replacing this and that doesn't really help and in most cases causes other problems.
on the VG though I'd probably get a higher output coil and open the spark plug gap accordingly. Bigger Gap= Bigger spark = better burn = more power/ better economy.
Just don't apply more's law to the spark plug gap though
Old 10-08-2003, 11:14 PM
Tom

You know, the stock cap/rotor set up isn't that much more expensive. Take a look.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/J30_tuneup.html
Old 10-09-2003, 12:19 AM

I don't know if it's common or not, but it seems like everytime I have replaced the Dist. Cap and Rotor (with aftermarket brand available at AutoZone) they develope small cracks in the plastic near the posts. The cracks don't appear to go all the way through to the top side, but it makes me wonder if the OE one will do the same thing..
Old 10-09-2003, 08:05 AM

The wells brand that autozone carries is fine but dont get the kind at advanced auto, when I did it caused my radar detector to go off when the rpms were at like 2.5k! Switched it out with the wells and all was fine.