3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Driver side wheel bearing question, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2003, 11:38 PM

Driver side wheel bearing question, please help.

Hi all, I am trying to replace the driver side front wheel bearing. I am trying to replace it with a pull out part from junk yard instead of sending it in for press out/in. So, my question is which part do I need from the junk yard? The hub assembly or the spindle? Can all 3rd. gen. parts fit into my 91 se?
I am new for repairing car, but want to do it myself. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2003, 11:51 PM

If the hub is bad, you could replace that with one from the junk yard. However it will still have to be pressed out, and replaced.

My question tho is why would you want to replaced your wheel bearing going the junk yard route. I would only go there if the hub is bad (rocks and moves). The bearing iself will have to be pressed out and a new one pressed in, so you will stil have to go to a machine shop.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:03 AM

The point is that I can not find a ride for the pro shop press out/in, I am with myself and only one car.
The question is whether the bearing is in the hub or the spindle? I am going to use the old but good junk yard pull out bearing instead of a new bearing. If the bearing is in the hub, I will just go to replace my hub with the junk yard pull out. My car has 240k on it, and I won't drive it for long. I believe any junk yard pull out will have less mileage on it. And want to save some time if not save money.
It took me a whole day to wait in the pro shop for replacing the passenger side bearing last time, and cost me $250. This time, I want to simplify the whole thing.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:41 AM
STFU n00b!

your problems are a bit worse than what you're asking...

the bearing is pressed into the spindle, and then the hub is pressed into the bearing. you can usually remove the hub from the bearing with a hammer and properly sized bushing, but you ruin the bearing in the process.

Most often, when the bearing wears out, it takes the wheel hub with it, so you should replace them both.

As for your situation, I recommend just buying the spindle from a junkyard and swapping them out. it's minimal on cost, labor, and time- especially considering you're not too worried about it lasting another 20 years.
you can usually pick up the spindle from a junkyard for around $50. it is the whole thing.. spindle, wheel bearing, ball joint, and hub.

The one you need is any 89-94 VG Maxima. the axles on the VE (92-94 SE Maximas) were larger diameter so the hubs are diferent. the ball joint, wheel bearing, and spindle are all the same though... but with the wrong hub, you're SOL so just make sure you buy one from a VG maxima.

look on www.car-part.com for a yard with one listed at a decent price. all of the places I've called on there about parts will ship for the posted price, or not much more, so if you find one for $40 in california, you will be better off than paying $90 for one in St Louis.
Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 PM

Thank you Matt, this helps! Appreciated!