3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

AntonTheGrey's Gauge Swap and Intake Mod ***Pics***

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 12:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

AntonTheGrey's Gauge Swap and Intake Mod ***Pics***

AntonTheGrey:
okie, here's the story...

Shawn has VE stuff... I have VG stuff
I want VE stuff

so! we first go and get his gauges...
you know, the standard 6500RPM redline, 145MPH speedo

and we have mine, the 6000RPM redline and 125MPH speedo

found out that the 145 speedo would swap right in. they both had the calibration @ 60MPH = 1024RPM so, we put em in...

Well, turns out that the enemy of good is better so Shawn also had the Carbon Fiber bezel... can't just peel that stuff off so we had to take his bezel and put it on my gauge cluster. easier said than done... so, i had to take a dremel to the plastic surrounding the turn signal lenses and little nubbins that didn't fit in with the white gauge cluster. Also, his warning lights had the air-bag warning and no ABS warning... so we had to pull em off... mine are the two left sets

After sweating, cursing, cutting, cursing again, we go from this...

to this!

Shawn says that this is the first mod of it's kind to happen... apparently, most people just swap the entire assembly. I did not want to do this simply because his milage doesn't match w/ mine. Kind of an issue if you ask me... So I took the high road....

Whacha think?
Old 06-30-2003, 01:03 AM

AntonTheGrey
thats not all folks! I did a major intake mod also!

I kinda wanted more powah from that VG engine, so I completely took out the entire intake assembly minus the manifolds and whatnot...

I started to pull the "cold air" portion of the intake and found a resonator. Kew! pulled it out and set it down. I then took off the large pipe that connects the throttle body to the mass-air/airbox. Turns out it had a huge resonator on it also. MrGone had his die grinder and cutting wheel so we chopped it in half. This is the result:

http://www.mrgone.homeip.net/images/anton/2.jpg

the right one is the "cold-air" assembly, the left is the half of the resonator, and the top stick is the cold air resonator.

that little stick just so happened to fit exactly where the large resonator got it's supply from so, we cut the end off, and stuck it in the intake tube:

it's melted because
a) that cap needed to stay...
b) didn't want jagged edges...
c) propane + spark + me = funn++++++

I also felt that the stock airbox couldn't breath that well, so i took the liberty in allowing it to do so...

dremels are kew...

All in all, I know it's just breathing in hott air but at least it doesn't choke anymore. I think it's good for at least 2-4 hp... Sure not helping my gas milage tho... i love that sound! It's really throaty starting @ 2kRPM all the way to teh redline. God only knows what it's like with a cone filter or a real CAI...
Old 06-30-2003, 01:32 AM

here are some extra pictures, I'm just going to link them for everyone's sake.

Here is the Air Box finished, and installed.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/shawn/36.jpg

Here are the two speedometers waiting to be installed
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/1.jpg

This is the VG 125mph speedo. Notice the metal "bridge" with the threaded hole near the "100k" silkscreen?
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/3.jpg

This is the VE 145mph speedo. Notice there is nothing near the 100k silkscreen
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/2.jpg

This picture is for you incase you need reference points for when they are flipped upside down.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/4.jpg

This is the VE Gauge. The hole near the "R16" silkscreen is where the VG has threads. Note where the trace leads off of the left solder point. Check the front of the gauge again. it simply disapears. it affects nothing
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/6.jpg

Same as above, except this is the VG speedo.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/7.jpg

Idiot light poker hand. Remember they are transparent, as the light needs to shine threw them, so you can see the warning.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/13.jpg

Finished shot, with gauge clusters side by side.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/14.jpg

My gauges dont look the same anymore.
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/17.jpg

Anton's gauges are looking alot better
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/gauges/22.jpg

We switched the front bezels because mine has carbon fiber and his does not. This required some modifications (grinding down some plastic) but we didnt take any pictures. The area around the VE gauges blinkers is almost shaped like a dog house, while the VG's are square boxes. also there area 3 small tabs here and there (millimeter or two) that needed to be leveled. Very easy to do once found which ones were contacting to early.

Also, plugging the resonator in the intake tubing made the most difference, then hacking the air box just topped it off.

Thats all for now.
MrGone
Old 06-30-2003, 04:04 AM

Did sorta the same intake mod to my car the other night. After cutting open the resonator box, I cut that tube extension off and bonded a flat aluminum plate over the hole. Not the best for flow, but much better than that whole box thing.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:20 AM

Re: AntonTheGrey's Gauge Swap and Intake Mod ***Pics***

Originally posted by MrGone
Thanks for the information. I put a VE 5spd cluster in my VG auto a few weeks ago. However, I wasn't totally happy b/c my odometer was off and the o/d light didn't work. I just finished mixing and matching. Perfect!
Old 06-30-2003, 08:53 AM

You could have just swapped your odometer onto his gauge cluster and saved yourself a whole lotta trouble
Old 06-30-2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by KLoWnPR109
You could have just swapped your odometer onto his gauge cluster and saved yourself a whole lotta trouble
No. The VE gauge cluster didn't appear to support my o/d light. Furthermore, I wanted to use my tachometer. Finally, my trip odometer was broken. Therefore I used the trip odometer from the VE cluster and installed it with mine.
Old 06-30-2003, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by Cincy94Max
Did sorta the same intake mod to my car the other night. After cutting open the resonator box, I cut that tube extension off and bonded a flat aluminum plate over the hole. Not the best for flow, but much better than that whole box thing.

Is it just me that can't stand cutting my stock parts up or what. I would never cut anything up to where it couldn't be put back to normal. Also, It just seems like you would be collecting more dust in your filter considering its not suckin air from right behind the headlight.
Old 06-30-2003, 01:52 PM

more dust = more air

Anton wanted to keep his stock Tach as well, along with the idiot lights for things he had, and not ones for things he didnt have.

Another thing guys,
the Stock 5th gen Air Filter is a direct fit for a stock 3rd gen air box. I would assume the 4th gen is the same way, but the filter Anton has in his car now is from my 5th gen. I put an InJen on it, and my stock filter was better than his (more surface area, better quality).

Also with the modifications to the intake tube, you cannot see it missing unless you know what your looking for, or if you have the tube out. The Air box holes are very hard to see as the battery makes it a hard angle to view.

MrGone
Old 06-30-2003, 02:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

cliffnotes?? I'm lazy and the pic for the modified intake box doesn't work, I wann see.
Old 06-30-2003, 02:59 PM

Modified air box
http://mrgone.homeip.net/images/shawn/35.jpg

cliffnotes? arent the pictures the cliffnotes?
Old 06-30-2003, 03:08 PM

DA-MAX, were you talking about the first link? I fixed that. Turns out I didnt add the "/" to the closing url tag.

MrGone
Old 06-30-2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by Kenny89SE

Is it just me that can't stand cutting my stock parts up or what. I would never cut anything up to where it couldn't be put back to normal. Also, It just seems like you would be collecting more dust in your filter considering its not suckin air from right behind the headlight.
Pretty scary cutting up ABS plastic with a hacksaw, but it had to be done. Normally I would never cut anythign up that couldn't be put back to normal, but you cannot see my cutting job. I just cut the underside of the S shaped piece, bonded a piece of aluminum under there that you can't see, and took out the piping that goes to behind the headlight. This piping is so restrictive, that I believe getting rid of it is actually beneficial. About more dust on the filter, not in my engine bay Plus the filter is like $10 from NAPA, not exactly an expensive part. With this setup, I have essentially a upper intake piece to a CAI and a less restrictive filter setup all for the cost of a tube of JB Weld. Gains can be felt throughout the entire rev range.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:42 PM

why didn't you just get a CAI? am i missing something? why cut this and cut that and all of this ****? i like the speedo. i may do that. but nothing else. i don't need the ABS and AIRBAG things. why did you want those lights? they are useless.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:27 PM

simple. Anton and I are students, poor students at minimum wage. This was free, all it took was time, and it was fun. 2 bud's hanging out Now he has a CAI for a few cents, the cost of a KW of electricity and a ounce of propane or so.

now, he had ABS, he wanted his idiot light, I had air bags, he didnt, he didnt want my idiot light.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:30 PM

You can use the 145 mph speedometer on a 125 mph car? How is that possible considering the numbers on the 145 speedo don't line up with the ones on the 125 speedo? Probably a dumb question

I also swapped out my whole cluster for a white gauged one(125 mph). I don't really care about the odometer, since I don't plan on selling the car... It's off by 11,800 miles, no biggie I just have to subtract to get actual mileage
Old 06-30-2003, 10:31 PM

Originally posted by bonzelite
why didn't you just get a CAI? am i missing something? why cut this and cut that and all of this ****? i like the speedo. i may do that. but nothing else. i don't need the ABS and AIRBAG things. why did you want those lights? they are useless.
Why spend over $100 for something I can make for $5? I'm a poor college boy and I don't really need a full CAI. The VG is not a racing engine and my max is no racecar. I was bored one night and wanted something to do. Instead of spending what little money I had, I used some sweat and made something similar for less. Guess that's a foreign concept to some people.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:33 PM

got it. sorry. i overlooked that. the whole point of tuning is really to have fun. and i see you guys are very industrious and resourceful and you're having a good time. i like your carbon dash and gauges by the way. as i alluded to. i want to swap my speedo now. but will it really read the true speed in the VG car? if you already answered that, than pardon my oversight.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:32 AM

yes. you should be swaping the full speedometer, as trying to simply swap the gauge face will be more work.

the speedometer is held in the back of the cluster with 4 screws, these 4 screws also act provide the information neccessary to the speedometers operation.

Because you are swapping the entire speedometer, and both speedometers have a 60mph =1024rpm configureation, there will not be a problem. We tested it using my 98 Durango and had Talk About 2 way radios to make sure we were 100% accurate.

Although there were lots of easier routes, the way we did it is complete, matches his car completely, and provides a modification that works and is accurate. If we swapped in my tach, it would not be accurate for the car, as the redlines are off. it is not a big deal at all, just the way things were done. Even though I origonally was leaning to swapping my tach, I am now glad we didnt, I think its much cooler with his stocker, plus how many of you guys have done double takes at that cluster?

feel free to ask any other questions.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:48 AM

that is t!ts. i'm gonna do it. off to the junk yard. to what extent must the dash be disassembled?
Old 07-01-2003, 02:30 PM

Old 07-01-2003, 02:51 PM

a picture is worth a thousand words. yes. i see it.
Old 07-01-2003, 06:53 PM

It's actually a lot easier than it looks. I did half of it in the dark with a tiny flashlight.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Seperated at Birth?

^^^ this much is true

I think it's a grand total of 16 screws (if I counted right...)
Old 07-02-2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by antonthegrey
^^^ this much is true

I think it's a grand total of 16 screws (if I counted right...)

not likely
Old 07-02-2003, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

where did you get the gauges i have been looking for them??
Old 07-02-2003, 11:14 PM

from my 1993 Maxima SE
Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 PM

Bump because I am bored and like looking at pictures.
Old 10-14-2003, 04:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Wanna find me some white faced metric gauges that i can install? that way i can keep my odometer, and look like a real american VE..