3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Loud clunk in rear end, Please HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 09:33 AM

Loud clunk in rear end, Please HELP!!!

Hey guys, i have a question about a strange noise coming from the rear end of my max. To give you some background, my friend was doing 40-45 mph, in a round-about, when the front end started to slide out, he tapped the brakes and the rear end kicked to the side to straighten it out, after that i have heard a really strange clunking noise coming from the rear. At first i thought it was related to my sturts, so i replaced them, and that wasn't it, it did help a little but the problem is still there. I notice it when i go aournd some turns, down s#!tty roads, and more prominently when i go up hills, also when i go up hills i hear a noise as if my bearings are going out, but only when i am going UP hill. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. I have searched quite a few other postings on stuff from the front end about bearings and such but found nothing on this subject, any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes i searched before posting.
Old 10-21-2003, 08:37 AM

Anybody have any ideas?
Old 10-21-2003, 08:42 AM
mod or sell?

Find a under car shop that does free estimates. and get their opinion.
Could be strut Mounts
Old 10-21-2003, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by EWillden
Hey guys, i have a question about a strange noise coming from the rear end of my max. To give you some background, my friend was doing 40-45 mph, in a round-about, when the front end started to slide out, he tapped the brakes and the rear end kicked to the side to straighten it out, after that i have heard a really strange clunking noise coming from the rear. At first i thought it was related to my sturts, so i replaced them, and that wasn't it, it did help a little but the problem is still there. I notice it when i go aournd some turns, down s#!tty roads, and more prominently when i go up hills, also when i go up hills i hear a noise as if my bearings are going out, but only when i am going UP hill. I can't figure it out and it's driving me crazy. I have searched quite a few other postings on stuff from the front end about bearings and such but found nothing on this subject, any help would be greatly appreciated, and yes i searched before posting.

sounds like loose strut mount bolts. the rear ones can get loose without you knowing it and cause that clunking noise...
Old 10-22-2003, 04:12 PM

I just replaced the struts, a week ago, and the noise is still there, i know it's not the mounts or the bolts. I torqued the bolts down tight and the mounts are fine
Old 10-22-2003, 04:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Your sway bar may have broken off one of the mounts and is bouncing around down there. Just looking under the car would give you an idea of what is going on.
Old 10-22-2003, 04:19 PM

Thanks, i'll check that, i have looked under there but haven't noticed anything, i'll look again.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:45 PM

Weel, i have looked at all of those options and none of them are it. I Put the car up on a rack at work and looked underneath it and found nothing loose or broken. I did however play with the exhaust and move it side to side, and i found that it makes a clunking noise from the left hand side of the car by the rear door. So i'm not sure what the heck is going on. Anything would help. Thanks guys