3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Stupid BOSE

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 06:54 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Stupid BOSE

I park my car last night and it was working FINE ! i get in this morning and no sound out of my speakers ! man the ride to work really stunk. The unit turns on ok, cd and tape works fine (still not sound but the unit works) so i checked the fuse for the BOSE amps. Its ok. Havent had time to get in there with a multimeter cause its been raining. It just seems like all the BOSE amps went out at once ! this happen to anyone else ? maybe i can save some digging time in my car with the meter.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:00 PM

did you check the fuse in the back of the HU?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:01 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

diddnt know that there was one ! what does the fuse control ? if that fuse was popped whould the headunit still come on and work normally ? is that for the amps ?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
mod or sell?

Isn't there a relay that controls all the amps?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:05 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

again guys i havent had the chance to rip her apart yet its been pouring all day and its late now i have work in the morning. I just figured if this happened to anyone else it might just save me some time (any my wife yelling at me to come out from under the hood) !
Old 10-27-2003, 07:10 PM

i know only one of my amps in the whole car worked when i bought mine. best thing is, just get rid of the bose, its not that hard. bose suks
Old 10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i know i can get rid of it easily and get a better system but moneys short and i just put a bunch into the motor, interior wont be for a while and i like the stock look.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:25 PM

ine still looks stock, i have all the bose grills, just that now i have a nice looking pioneer hu. to replace the speakers isnt too bad. $100 bux for a basic HU, $40 for descent 4x6's, and $50-60 for good 6x9's, i replaced mine for under $250
Old 10-27-2003, 07:29 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

think ill stick with the stock HU if i can i have pioneer speakers already. and my fronts are fours not four by six. guess that changes between 92 and 93.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:42 PM
Way out West

Better yet, get some speaker pods from James and put in 6.5s. I am sure happy with mine. I agree with Harry, Bose sucks. I do understand your predicament. I had no radio for months until I could afford to get everything together.

Do you have any sound at all coming from your speakers? Hissing or buzzing?

two of mine were shot when I bought it and they buzzed a little and sometimes popped when I turned the HU on. I can't see all of them going at once, though.

It is probably a connection or fuse somewhere, possibly at the back of the HU, since all of the speakers are amped seperately. Mine didn't come with the stock HU, but I removed all of the bose and I don't recall anything that connected them all except the harness. I know that doesn't help too much, but it's a start.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:53 PM

i drove for two months without a sound. No 3rd gen with bose came with 4x6's, i ripped the front brackets from a 3rd gen with out bose, those do have 4x6's.

Tell me more about the 6.5 brackets, ny 4x6s are kinda tinny.
Old 10-27-2003, 08:32 PM

Both my 1992 SEs have 6x9s in the back and I think 3s or 4s(round) in the front, one still has the bose and the other had it originally but had been changed out by the time I got the car
Old 10-28-2003, 09:26 AM

Bah if I known that I would've went to a junkyard and bought GXE front speaker pods instead of buying another pair of speakers. It would've been cheaper and the 4X6's would probably sound better then the 5 1/4's I got stuck in there. Perhaps I'll still get the pods anyway and swap. The 4X6's I got sounded a hell of alot better at the store than the same model 5 1/4's. If you know how to install the stuff yourself it's really cheap to upgrade the stereo. I got all my stuff from www.etronics.com and they were fast as hell too got the stuff 2 days later from ordering it. Paid $305 for a JVC mp3 50X4 cd player with mp3 changer control for later connection, alpine type S 4X6's and alpine type S 6X9's. This place was the cheapest out of anywhere I could find.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:01 PM
Way out West

Just send a PM to James92SE for speaker pods. Or, I think he has a post in the 3rd gen for sale. He makes pods that are perfect. They mount right into the stock bose pod location using the existing screws. He made mine for 6.5s, but I think he can do 5.25s, too. Check the last page on my cardomain page (www below) to see what they look like. You will get considerably better sound from 6.5s that either 4s or 4x6s. Most companies make their best seperates and/or midrange speakers in that size. I have Diamond Audio in the front and they sound pretty sweet. When I get money, I am going to upgrade to HEX, I hope.

Sorry to get OT there wirelessnj. Did you get it figured out?
Old 10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

not yet, the speakers work i used a house radio...the amps turn on (multimeter) and the radio turns on and operates normal. theres just no stinkin sound, not a hiss or pop or anything. i also noticed that it was serviced dec of 97. (tag still on it.) so i am to assume its internal in the head unit ??
Old 10-28-2003, 03:52 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
not yet, the speakers work i used a house radio...the amps turn on (multimeter) and the radio turns on and operates normal. theres just no stinkin sound, not a hiss or pop or anything. i also noticed that it was serviced dec of 97. (tag still on it.) so i am to assume its internal in the head unit ??
Do you have an audio signal coming from the HU to the speakers?
Sorry but I don't know how to test it. I need to figure it out though My rears don't work at all.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:52 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

i would just hook up a speaker to it but i assumed that the headunit had no internal amplifier. ne1 know of a way to test it with a multimeter (fluke) ?
Old 10-29-2003, 08:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My 90 Max does the same thing - one day I get sound (the amps come on), another day maybe just one speaker. I'm in the process of replacing the electrolytic caps in my amps - which in my case is the problem. Component cost is about $25 for all 4 amps.

There is a relay that tells the amps to turn on; it's located behind the driver's side kick panel on my 1990 (check your FSM for '93). There is a circuit in the Bose HU that controls this relay. You might find this relay and see if the HU is consistantly activating the relay - if not, you can rig a switch to turn the amps on manually. Since operation of your amps is intermittant; could be they just happened to work when you tested with the house radio.

It's probably not the HU, but the amps - which means pulling them and replacing caps. It could also be a bad relay. If it is the HU, you can tell by using your multimeter to check operation at that relay, and just do the manual switch thing to power up your amps.

Lots of people run down the Bose sound quality, but I think in those cases it's after the sound quality has deteoriated due to breakdown of the caps in the amps. Not a fair comparison to rebuilt amps (or new) amps.

I've posted a lot of amp rebuild info in the Audio Forum here:
Bose Info request - All generations

Your amps will be slightly differnent; I've got several of the newer 'Sigma 928 amps' like you probably have and can correct the component lists easily for you if you get into it. PM me if you decide to go that route.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:08 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

awesome info, ill check the relay. however i dont have a FSM i spent more fixing the vtc's than i thought so i have to wait till i get paid in order to buy one.
Old 10-30-2003, 02:07 AM

Man, I'm glad that our maxis never came with Bose systems. I would have ripped them all out & get better sound system.

But thats my opinion.....
Old 10-30-2003, 06:27 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

all in all im VERY happy with the bose system. ive had 3000 watt multi sub/amp setups 4 capacitors, 6-1/2 front component setups, crossovers, the works in my 1979 buick regal. man that car was pimp. however i was just a kid when i did all that so i KNOW what a real competition system sounds like. I used to go to DB drags all the time. (no i diddnt compete just went for fun) obviously BOSE cant compare to that but i still like the clean sound it makes. however if its more to repair my stock HU i may have to look aftermarket. which could be bad cause then ill want a BIG setp again. once i start i just cant stop. oooohhhh yyeeaaa
Old 11-07-2003, 03:11 PM

I park my car last night and it was working FINE ! i get in this morning and no sound out of my speakers ! man the ride to work really stunk. The unit turns on ok, cd and tape works fine (still not sound but the unit works) so i checked the fuse for the BOSE amps. Its ok. Havent had time to get in there with a multimeter cause its been raining. It just seems like all the BOSE amps went out at once ! this happen to anyone else ? maybe i can save some digging time in my car with the meter.
Boss I don't have the bose system but I was driving my 94 GXE and noticed my back speakers aren't working. the fronts are working fine is it that amp in the back?
Old 11-07-2003, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MR FINGAHZ
Boss I don't have the bose system but I was driving my 94 GXE and noticed my back speakers aren't working. the fronts are working fine is it that amp in the back?
If you don't have the bose system, then you don't have amps. (I don't think, someone correct me if I'm wrong)
Old 11-07-2003, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Just send a PM to James92SE for speaker pods. Or, I think he has a post in the 3rd gen for sale. He makes pods that are perfect. They mount right into the stock bose pod location using the existing screws. He made mine for 6.5s, but I think he can do 5.25s, too. Check the last page on my cardomain page (www below) to see what they look like. You will get considerably better sound from 6.5s that either 4s or 4x6s. Most companies make their best seperates and/or midrange speakers in that size. I have Diamond Audio in the front and they sound pretty sweet. When I get money, I am going to upgrade to HEX, I hope.

Sorry to get OT there wirelessnj. Did you get it figured out?

Man those freakin speaker pods look awesome, how much does he charge for those? I think I might be in the market to pick some of those up pretty soon.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:14 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

no, NO bose then no amps,(its in the headunit)
Old 11-08-2003, 12:39 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

Thanks RedMax ....yeah guys if anyone wants to upraged to 6.5'' let me know...I'd be more than glad to make you up a pair . I've made a couple 5 1/4's before, lots of 6.5''s, and also right now I'm making a pair of 6 3/4'' too
Old 11-08-2003, 05:07 PM
mod or sell?

no, NO bose then no amps,(its in the headunit)
there was an "active" stereo that had a single amp in the rear mounted to the deck.
You might have that (probably you do)
Old 11-10-2003, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
there was an "active" stereo that had a single amp in the rear mounted to the deck.
You might have that (probably you do)
This is the stereo I have the "active". So I guess that amp is gone. I have 6 3/4 Kickers in the rear so I am sure they didn't blow.
Old 11-10-2003, 03:58 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

i had the same problem, but mine started working again for a day the stopped again. I took it out and sent it to this place in texas for like 75 bucks and they fixed it. that was about 3 yrs ago, never had another problem. Unlike most people replying on this forum, i still consider the bose speakers and amps to sound the best. Lots of my friends the complete replacment, using amps and new speakers and headunits. I just replaced my headunit with a pioneer and it still beats all of theres, and still pumps more bass without subs. Unless you need like over 600w of bass, id would just keep it. I put the pioneer in myself with a conversion i bought and it works even better than the stock headunit. it becomes louder and if you get teh highend headunit, where it has the equalizer chips that you can custom create setting it is even better. before you go out and spend all that money, if you are going to get a new headunit put it in first with bose stuff. then if not impressed then pull everything out and replace it all.