3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Got compression/gas/dunno about spark

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Got compression/gas/dunno about spark

n00b here, helping out my GF's brother. I'm used to this forum bit (rx7club.com) but the search function was being a lil testy.

Bear with me here, I'm no expert when it comes to maximas, nissans, or piston engines.

I have a no starter. 89 or 90 V6 auto. It cranks. Motor turns. Puffs of air out of the exhaust while cranking, and the rancid smell of unburned petrol (my fav!).

Now given that my timing light is at home and I don't have a way to verify spark from the wires to the plugs (which even if one cylinder dropped compression, it still should start, even though it was running fine yesterday...didn't start this AM). To be honest, the thing smells and cranks like it's just flooded.

Any clues onto were to start to look? To change the plugs on these things do you have to remove the IM?
Old 10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

hey same problem here..

Originally Posted by Josepi
n00b here, helping out my GF's brother. I'm used to this forum bit (rx7club.com) but the search function was being a lil testy.

Bear with me here, I'm no expert when it comes to maximas, nissans, or piston engines.

I have a no starter. 89 or 90 V6 auto. It cranks. Motor turns. Puffs of air out of the exhaust while cranking, and the rancid smell of unburned petrol (my fav!).

Now given that my timing light is at home and I don't have a way to verify spark from the wires to the plugs (which even if one cylinder dropped compression, it still should start, even though it was running fine yesterday...didn't start this AM). To be honest, the thing smells and cranks like it's just flooded.

Any clues onto were to start to look? To change the plugs on these things do you have to remove the IM?

i've gone through all the easy things like plugs wires and cap and rotor...still just turns over and wont completely fire over....i am getting a backfire through the intake...i'm thinkin the timing might be off...but not quite sure....if you figure out what is worng please let me know so i can get my car fixed..i've been without for a week now...and the same in return if i can come up with a way i will be happy to help
thanks alot
matt
Old 10-27-2003, 03:54 PM

you just need a flexible 5/8 i believe thats the size, you dotn have to take out the IM.
you could just check the spark plugs or you could get something so the spark plug can arc off of, liek a metal poll against the block, crank the car and see the spark.
Old 10-27-2003, 06:19 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by dzmax91
i've gone through all the easy things like plugs wires and cap and rotor...still just turns over and wont completely fire over....i am getting a backfire through the intake...i'm thinkin the timing might be off...but not quite sure....if you figure out what is worng please let me know so i can get my car fixed..i've been without for a week now...and the same in return if i can come up with a way i will be happy to help
thanks alot
matt
You've got a timing problem. Get a timing light and check your timing. You are probably off by a hair.