3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Slippery tranny: a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003 | 12:13 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Slippery tranny: a few questions?

I tried to search the problem I met to keep this forum as organized as possible, but I could not get any answers.

My car is 94 GXE, auto, 138000 miles. I have the tranny rebuilt at 135000 at my local tranny shop. I paid $2300 and got one year or 10000 mile warranty. It seems they did a good job, the more I drove, the smoother the tranny is. However, it seems the tranny is a little slippery. When I have my car checked by them after one week of the rebuilt ( I was asked to do this by them), the guy who checked my car said to himself 'slippery', but I did not realize what he meant.
Later I found: When I accelerate, it seems the car does not speed up as fast as it is supposed to according to the engine speed.
When I park my car uphill, the car will back up when I release the brake without puching the gas.

My questions are:
Is the slippery as I mentioned normal? is this a big problem?
How can I check the slippery?

I want to make sure this could be a problem before I have them checked it.
Old 11-04-2003 | 02:07 AM

I'd get the shop to recheck the tranny. If your tranny is slipping after a rebuild, possibly the fluid level is too low or that the brake band is not adjusted properly. Either is gonna cause heat build up & premature failure.
You may also have a blockage in the valve body, cooler lines or radiator. If in the radiator, that's something you're gonna have to get fixed asap. Everything else should be covered under warranty.
Old 11-04-2003 | 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by nismobaron
I'd get the shop to recheck the tranny. If your tranny is slipping after a rebuild, possibly the fluid level is too low or that the brake band is not adjusted properly. Either is gonna cause heat build up & premature failure.
You may also have a blockage in the valve body, cooler lines or radiator. If in the radiator, that's something you're gonna have to get fixed asap. Everything else should be covered under warranty.
Thanks, Nismobaron.
because I felt the slippery problem even at cool start, it should not be the problem of cooling, right?
Also, do you have any methods to test slippery? I read in a thread there was a method to test, but I cannot find it now.
Old 11-04-2003 | 09:28 AM

If it were me, (and I just had mine rebuilt, too, so I know) I would keep taking it back until you are satisfied. $2300 is a ton of money to spend not to be happy. I spent $1800 on mine recently, and have had it back to them once- about to do it again, since the car "hunts" for which gear to be in at about 45-55 mph.