3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Guages

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2003, 04:29 AM

Guages

Well I have an SE guage cluster but it is 145 mph and mine is 125 mph...Is it gonna register properly or will I be off ?
Old 11-05-2003, 04:38 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by fattamax
Well I have an SE guage cluster but it is 145 mph and mine is 125 mph...Is it gonna register properly or will I be off ?
Yeah, calibration will be off somewhat. You might wanna ask LittlePiggie, because I think he knows a procedure to convert the 145mph gauges to work with the non 92-94 SE Max's.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:49 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I dont think there is a conversion that needs to be done. I stuck a 145MPH cluster in my GXE and the speeds are right...at least they appear to be. My wife was following me and she said she was doing the speed limit and so was I. So either both of us are off or the 145MPH cluster is right.

I swapped the whole thing though not just the speedo head. Maybe that is where an adjustment comes in.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:02 AM

i read a while ago that the calibrations are the same, check the numbers on the back of the two speedos...should be the same.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:51 AM
mod or sell?

SEARCH! this was covered. and i believe as stated above that if you swap the gauge not just the faces, it needs no calibration
Old 11-06-2003, 09:19 PM

I believe this was threaded before and the verdict was you had to make some sort of adjustment to get the right speed.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:22 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Anyone have a definative, FINAL answer to this age-old question? Just doing a cursory search, I found both lines of thought from different people. So I'm sure everyone can benefit from the answer to this question. Bueller?? BUELLER??
Old 11-06-2003, 09:28 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

pretty sure the calibration is the same for both...put a 145 cluster into a VG before and it seemed right. easy way to know might be to check the p/n of the sensors I would think
Old 11-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

search for a thread I created called something like "antonthegrey's gauge swap" all your questions will be answered in there
Old 11-07-2003, 06:48 AM

To be done properly a speed sensor for a 92-94 SE needs to be swapped as well.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:17 AM

Now your only problem is deciding who you're going to believe!
Old 11-07-2003, 08:30 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Anyone have a definative, FINAL answer to this age-old question? Just doing a cursory search, I found both lines of thought from different people. So I'm sure everyone can benefit from the answer to this question. Bueller?? BUELLER??
read my post

Originally Posted by crxmax
To be done properly a speed sensor for a 92-94 SE needs to be swapped as well.
Have you done this? Are you speaking from experience like I am? Or are you just making stuff up with no knowledge or previous experience?...again read my post.

Sorry to seem like I am jumping on you but I clearly said that I did the swap and my wife followed me to verify the speed...and it was correct.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
read my post

Have you done this? Are you speaking from experience like I am? Or are you just making stuff up with no knowledge or previous experience?...again read my post.

Sorry to seem like I am jumping on you but I clearly said that I did the swap and my wife followed me to verify the speed...and it was correct.

Whoa... since when did this forum become the holy grail? It is really not that serious... I would not be speaking if I had no knowlegde... that would make me a fool. I know that you are knowledgeable about a lot of things concerning the 3rd gen Max. I do not question that. I only offered a suggestion... notice in my post I said PROPERLY done. I did not say that your way would not work. Your wife following you in a car and you visually reading the speed is not an exact science. Wonder why when the police stop you for speeding, they have to verify that their speedometer was calibrated by a professional when testifying in court... Because the judge can not go by an eye reading... BTW... the same holds true for radar/laser dectors... just because you don't see a million posts by me, please do not think that I am a NEWBIE... or not knowledgeable about 3rd gen Maximas...
Old 11-07-2003, 09:05 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by crsmax
Whoa... since when did this forum become the holy grail? It is really not that serious... I would not be speaking if I had no knowlegde... that would make me a fool. I know that you are knowledgeable about a lot of things concerning the 3rd gen Max. I do not question that. I only offered a suggestion... notice in my post I said PROPERLY done. I did not say that your way would not work. Your wife following you in a car and you visually reading the speed is not an exact science. Wonder why when the police stop you for speeding, they have to verify that their speedometer was calibrated by a professional when testifying in court... Because the judge can not go by an eye reading... BTW... the same holds true for radar/laser dectors... just because you don't see a million posts by me, please do not think that I am a NEWBIE... or not knowledgeable about 3rd gen Maximas...

Man I never said you were a NEWBIE or that you are knowledgeable about a 3rd gen. I just said "Have you done this? Are you speaking from experience like I am? Or are you just making stuff up with no knowledge or previous experience?" I was talking about this particular case and not maximas in general.

I dont think the speed sensor from a 92-94 SE will even fit in a GXE. I know they are a different transmission and I know the speed sensor has a different part number (which could be to match the cluster...I just dont know). I havent seen or ever researched if they can be swapped and kinda doubt you have either (if you have I apologize for assuming)

So to say that you can swap the speed sensor without doing it or researching if it can even be done is false information...Again I am not saying it cant be done because I havent researched it.

Ok so maybe my way is not 100% correct for doing it BUT If it says I am going 65 and my truck is going 65 and we arent moving apart from each other then thats close enough for me. Around here the police post up signs that have the speed limit on them and then have a radar gun that checks your speed...it then displays your speed in large numbers so you can see what you are going. My truck is always close or right on the number whenever I pass one of those things.

Look I even said I wasnt jumping on you and I am definately not one to flame but it seems like no one will believe personal experience anymore and everyone wants to contradict what someone else says which just leads to confusion. Sorry sometimes this place gets under my skin and I probably took it out on you.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:04 PM
rcy

If your wife's speedo and yours both showed the same speed, I think you've answered the original post already.

Originally Posted by awsm66
read my post

Old 11-07-2003, 03:31 PM

jeeze....

It is a fact that awsm66, LittlePiggie, and myself have all done the VE speedo swap into a VG.

I too have verified that after the VE speedo swap was complete, the maxima was infact accurate. I used my Dad's 98 Durango and Anton was driving his car, we used Motorola Talk About radios to confirm that the speeds were infact accurate.

The Speedometer gauge is the only thing you need to swap out for it to work. you will notice in the bottom right hand corner (IIRC) on both the VE and VG speedometer it will say "60mph = 1024rpm". It is a direct swap.