3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

had my max towed again...

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 06:08 PM

max trouble again...need advise

i was on my way from work in the rain then heard my car acting strange upfront..got to a stop light and stopped..light went green put the max in gear to move off as am moving off the damm car jumps out of gear and i had to pull of to the side..then tried different gears car wouldnt move only revs but i can head like a wheel spinning under the car...so my mechanic says its probably my axle went on me...so i had i towedto them hopefully its just that..and i need the damm car for work too but oh well..so what do u guys think happened to it..and if so about how much will it cost to fix?
Old 11-06-2003, 07:41 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by reggaeboyz
i was on my way from work in the rain then heard my car acting strange upfront..got to a stop light and stopped..light went green put the max in gear to move off as am moving off the damm car jumps out of gear and i had to pull of to the side..then tried different gears car wouldnt move only revs but i can head like a wheel spinning under the car...so my mechanic says its probably my axle went on me...so i had i towedto them hopefully its just that..and i need the damm car for work too but oh well..so what do u guys think happened to it..and if so about how much will it cost to fix?
There's not enough info here for me to make any sort of guess.
But if your axle went you'd have heard a clunk
and if your axle did go why didn't you hear it coming and replace it?
Old 11-06-2003, 08:29 PM

well i heard the clucking when i make a tight turn....but i didnt have the money....i was waiting untill i get paid from my new job didnt kno it would go out that fast if that was it....

more info...as i was at a stop light moving off i put the car in 1st gear and was moving off then suddenly i hear a pop and the car jumps out of gear and started reving out..every gear i put it in it just revs out and i can hear somthing loose spinning underneath the car...also i tried to put it in gear without pushing the clutch and it went into gear and didnt shut off or jump or anything...i really dont kno whats going on with it.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:31 PM

I think if the axle went you would definetly be able to tell. Usually before they go you hear a popping sound when you turn the wheel.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:39 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by reggaeboyz
well i heard the clucking when i make a tight turn....but i didnt have the money....i was waiting untill i get paid from my new job didnt kno it would go out that fast if that was it....

more info...as i was at a stop light moving off i put the car in 1st gear and was moving off then suddenly i hear a pop and the car jumps out of gear and started reving out..every gear i put it in it just revs out and i can hear somthing loose spinning underneath the car...also i tried to put it in gear without pushing the clutch and it went into gear and didnt shut off or jump or anything...i really dont kno whats going on with it.
Ok you blew the axle.

Old saying goes:
Pay me know or pay me later
either way you're gonna pay me