3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Urgent Help with 3rd Gen Suspension Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 06:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Urgent Help with 3rd Gen Suspension Needed!

I've got a 4th gen and am in the process of lowering a 91 Max. I've got the front done without any problems but I had a problem with the rear. I am installing Koni reds with Eibach springs. Since I cut the front to put the inserts in, I got ahead of myself and cut the rear only to find out that I'm a bone head and the cap won't screw in because the strut was cut too low.

I've looked on car-part.com for a replacement, but I don't know what the differences are between the suspensions. There is an option for sonar suspension, no sonar suspension, and a SE suspension. Are there any differences between these three or could I just use a strut from any of these selections? Sorry, the third gen world is a bit different...

Also, those of you that have installed the inserts. I've decided the best way to do it is to take the strut cap off and remove the guts of the old strut rather than cutting it. Is there a tried and true way to get the old piston out of the strut? The fronts came right out but the rears I couldn't get to budge.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

D

Edit: Search is working now.

I found out what the sonar suspension is, and I don't think he has that. I'll have to double check.

I still need to know how to get the old piston and valving out of the old strut.

Thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:18 AM
STFU n00b!

hehehehehe sorry.

For the rears.. just make sure you get a car with disc brakes in the back. it doesnt' matter what year. BUT.. tell you what.. try to find one from an 89 or 90... buy the whole strut, brake brackets included (they usually are anyway), and you can make some of that money back by selling Randy (LordRandall) the brake caliper brackets.

anyway, just buy some off of any 3rd gen with rear discs. make sure the calipers and rotors off the current car bolt up when you're done, as the caliper and bracket changed partway through the model run, and some won't fit. all you have to do is swap the bracket over to the proper one (you'll have everything you need on the old strut anyway)..

as for removing the guts.. take a *small* screwdriver and run around the edges inside the rear strut. there's a rubber o-ring in there that keeps everything in place. once you dig that o-ring out, then everything will come right out. I suggest putting the strut in a bucket when you remove the innards, because it's going to spew oil everywhere.

this may help some too...
http://www.4dsc.com/articles/suspens...ico/rear.shtml
Old 11-07-2003, 08:03 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
hehehehehe sorry.

anyway, just buy some off of any 3rd gen with rear discs. make sure the calipers and rotors off the current car bolt up when you're done, as the caliper and bracket changed partway through the model run, and some won't fit. all you have to do is swap the bracket over to the proper one (you'll have everything you need on the old strut anyway)..
Just so I'm sure of what you're saying. Nissan changed the way the brakes sit on the car sometime between the years but you aren't sure when. Since I have all the brake hardware from the 91 I can swap that onto the junk yard strut if the hardware on the junk yard strut doesn't match. Is this correct?

Now, once I get the collar off of the strut, there should be an o-ring that needs to be removed. Once the O-ring is out, the innards of the old strut should come out. Does it have to be forced out or should it come out easily?

If you have AOL Instant Messenger, could you please hit me on that? MadMaxxx95

Thanks again for your help...

D
Old 11-07-2003, 08:35 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MadMax95
Just so I'm sure of what you're saying. Nissan changed the way the brakes sit on the car sometime between the years but you aren't sure when. Since I have all the brake hardware from the 91 I can swap that onto the junk yard strut if the hardware on the junk yard strut doesn't match. Is this correct?

Now, once I get the collar off of the strut, there should be an o-ring that needs to be removed. Once the O-ring is out, the innards of the old strut should come out. Does it have to be forced out or should it come out easily?

If you have AOL Instant Messenger, could you please hit me on that? MadMaxxx95

Thanks again for your help...

D
10/90 Caliper change
11/91 brake change of some sort
Make sure you get the complete setup and mark down the prod date of the car