3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Manual-to-power seat swap (a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 01:11 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Manual-to-power seat swap (a little long)

I told Nozama I was gonna post this a week or so ago, but I was juuuussst a bit busy.

Now, before you look at this and say, "that ain't nothin... piece of cake", let me give you a bit of a run-down on just HOW I did this:

Initially, I had manual front driver and passenger seats but wanted power seats for a while now. Here comes Nozama with a 3rd gen parts car that he's using to get his car back to norm. Cool!! Let's get to work!

Look in the car and, DARN! It's got leather and I've got cloth! Which wouldn't have been much of a problem IF I wanted leather, but I'm not particularly feeling the leather. Too dayum cold in winter and too dayum hot in summer. Then, there's the potential for some stupid-@$$ to poke a hole in it...

But I digress...

So, this wasn't gonna be as straightforward as I originally thought. No biggie! I'm game for a challenge. So Nozama and I look at both seats out of the car side-by-side and decide that swapping out the tracks would be waaay easier than my stupid idea of peeling cow skin off the old seats and putting grey cloth on in it's place. Good! Let's get started!

So, two 10mm bolts into this, and I realize DARN again!! The tracks alone aren't gonna be the only thing that will have to go. Heck, the whole bottom part of the seat along with some of the assembly bolting the bottom to the seat back will have to go, too! That's just because the motor assembly which makes the seat recline is integrated into the side 'brace' for the power seat, while the manual seat has a coiled spring mechanism. More work... no biggie, let's get on it!

Well, a couple of hours and one busted knuckle later, I get everything swapped out, tested, and it works great! I think Matt mentioned that the wiring for the power was already there in some Max's, but under the carpet somewhere. Good luck for me, cuz not only was the wiring there, but it was already plugged into dummy sockets on the bottom of my manual seats. Can you say "plug-and-play?"

So, now I'm happy, nozama is happy (he got a set of indiglo gauges and a new sandlot bud to play with...), and all is well in Maximaville!

Thank you... please drive thru to the next window!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:23 AM

cool, glad to hear
Old 11-08-2003, 12:49 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

glad mines got power, or i wouldnt have bought it
Old 11-08-2003, 01:11 PM
Way out West

I would have taken the leather interior myself...

But, good work. You should have taken photos for reference. What percentage of Max's have manual seats? I've owned two SEs and they've both had power on both sides?

Do most have power or most have manual?
Old 11-08-2003, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by gowirelessnj
glad mines got power, or i wouldnt have bought it
Why?

I only adjusted my seats once since I had the car. And unless I have a sudden miraculous growth spurt there is no reason to change the positioning. You pick what's right, and you leave it there.

What do you do, change the position of your seat depending on your mood that day? Or maybe you wear high heel shoes sometimes and need to readjust the seat to compensate for the extra 3 inches on the bottom of your shoe
Old 11-08-2003, 05:34 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I would have taken the leather interior myself...

But, good work. You should have taken photos for reference. What percentage of Max's have manual seats? I've owned two SEs and they've both had power on both sides?

Do most have power or most have manual?
I got manuel
Old 11-08-2003, 06:14 PM
Grumpy old guy

Manual on my 91SE but next parts car I buy I'm pulling the power frames for my car.

Nubian has so much experience he can help
Old 11-09-2003, 02:52 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by jaguax
Why?

I only adjusted my seats once since I had the car. And unless I have a sudden miraculous growth spurt there is no reason to change the positioning. You pick what's right, and you leave it there.

What do you do, change the position of your seat depending on your mood that day? Or maybe you wear high heel shoes sometimes and need to readjust the seat to compensate for the extra 3 inches on the bottom of your shoe
Well, I think people change the position of their seats depending on their needs. Where I'm from (Chicago), people are notorious for practically sitting in the back seat when they drive. Either that, or drive like they're about to jump from the car at any second. Then, they'll let their wife/girlfriend/significant other drive the car. So, if you're 6'6" and your woman is 5'4".... you get the point.

Heck, even if you were to, for some gosh-awful reason, get your car valet parked... or even serviced by some no-name mechanic, who's to say that they aren't shorter/taller than you?

Just a couple of ideas, but I know what you're saying... you pick a spot and stay with it.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:37 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Well, I think people change the position of their seats depending on their needs. Where I'm from (Chicago), people are notorious for practically sitting in the back seat when they drive. Either that, or drive like they're about to jump from the car at any second. Then, they'll let their wife/girlfriend/significant other drive the car. So, if you're 6'6" and your woman is 5'4".... you get the point.

Heck, even if you were to, for some gosh-awful reason, get your car valet parked... or even serviced by some no-name mechanic, who's to say that they aren't shorter/taller than you?

Just a couple of ideas, but I know what you're saying... you pick a spot and stay with it.
So that's why I have only four seats in the car!
I drive from the back seat DOH!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Nozama
Nubian has so much experience he can help

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Valet parking? Thats mod money! Serviced by a mechanic, much less one without a name? . Let someone else drive my Exedy/Fidanza? Never!

btw, I'm 6'2"-6'3" so I have my seat all the way back, and as straight forward as I can get it without my head rubbing. Oh yeah and both of my cars have manual seats, both black dealer installed leather

good work Nupey!