3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Fuel pump dying? help. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 09:46 AM

Fuel pump dying? help. . . .

This morning on the way to work, my '92 Maxima started acting as if it was running out of gas. On the highway between 1800-2500 rpm, the engine would not respond to the accelerator; no power at all, until I floored it and the engine pulled quite well. It felt like either a terrible ignition miss or no fuel. I also noticed that when I slowed down, there was heavy surging and the occasional pop sound from under the hood (similar to a backfire). after about 10 minutes the problems disappeared, only to come back again about 15 minutes later. The plugs and fuel filter are new. Are these signs of my fuel pump dying, or maybe a bad bit of fuel (I doubt that though, I'm at 1/4 tank, and the other 3/4 seemed o.k.)
Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I'm needing a caw

Well hook up a fuel pressure guage and verify.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Well hook up a fuel pressure guage and verify.
Sure, I'm doing that tonight anyhow, but the popping sound freaked me out a bit. I guess I was just looking for some reasurace that it's not anything serious, based on other people's experiences.
Thanks.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:15 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by chris92
Sure, I'm doing that tonight anyhow, but the popping sound freaked me out a bit. I guess I was just looking for some reasurace that it's not anything serious, based on other people's experiences.
Thanks.
Sounds like fuel starvation. See if it does it on the way home
OR don't drive so aggressively
Old 11-17-2003, 09:19 AM

Update. . .

This morning on the way to work, my '92 Maxima started acting as if it was running out of gas. On the highway between 1800-2500 rpm, the engine would not respond to the accelerator; no power at all, until I floored it and the engine pulled quite well. It felt like either a terrible ignition miss or no fuel. I also noticed that when I slowed down, there was heavy surging and the occasional pop sound from under the hood (similar to a backfire). after about 10 minutes the problems disappeared, only to come back again about 15 minutes later. The plugs and fuel filter are new. Are these signs of my fuel pump dying, or maybe a bad bit of fuel (I doubt that though, I'm at 1/4 tank, and the other 3/4 seemed o.k.)
Any help is appreciated.
I verified that the pump pressure is o.k., and it still seems to be doing the same thing . Again this morning after 30 minutes on the highway, after a short rest, it went away. When it was bucking and surging, I did notice a real strong smell, like burning oil. Somehow it seems that the engine is picking up oil from the p.c.v. system? (plugged p.c.v.?) I'll check tonight. Also, I wonder if this is an egr problem. I noticed lots of threads about this that related to maf sensors gone bad. What's real strange is the fact then when I floor it, it takes off like a rocket (or as wel as any other vg). This rules out a lack of fuel pressure. I've since refilled with fresh fuel, so that rules out my "bad fuel" idea. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:45 AM
mod or sell?

I verified that the pump pressure is o.k., and it still seems to be doing the same thing . Again this morning after 30 minutes on the highway, after a short rest, it went away. When it was bucking and surging, I did notice a real strong smell, like burning oil. Somehow it seems that the engine is picking up oil from the p.c.v. system? (plugged p.c.v.?) I'll check tonight. Also, I wonder if this is an egr problem. I noticed lots of threads about this that related to maf sensors gone bad. What's real strange is the fact then when I floor it, it takes off like a rocket (or as wel as any other vg). This rules out a lack of fuel pressure. I've since refilled with fresh fuel, so that rules out my "bad fuel" idea. Any help is appreciated.
Do you have any leaks?
when was your last tune up?
and you could have failing injectors
Old 11-17-2003, 09:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Verify the following:
1) As you said, check that the PCV valve is not stuck open/closed. Shake it. If it rattles, it's "probably" okay. But I say just spend the $2 to change it.
2) Check that the EGR is not stuck. You can usually put two fingers under it and see if the diaphgram portion moves up/down. Or you can give the vacuum hose some vacuum to see if moves.
3) Fuel filter?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Do you have any leaks?
when was your last tune up?
and you could have failing injectors
No leaks, new plugs and fuel filter (wires are within spec), and one injector has slightly high resistance.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Verify the following:
1) As you said, check that the PCV valve is not stuck open/closed. Shake it. If it rattles, it's "probably" okay. But I say just spend the $2 to change it.
2) Check that the EGR is not stuck. You can usually put two fingers under it and see if the diaphgram portion moves up/down. Or you can give the vacuum hose some vacuum to see if moves.
3) Fuel filter?
So far I've verified the following:
-EGR valve
-PCV valve
-Fuel pressure
-New fuel filter, plugs
-Wires and cap are in good shape
-Ran Self-Diagnostic Mode; No codes
-02 sensor has about 50000 kms on it ( I was told that it won't throw a code until it totally dies, but can operate poorly without showing a code.)

I did notice something, on the VG there is a black vacuum canister next to the master cylinder with 2 vacuum hoses. One of the hoses was disconnected from the manifold, and when I plugged it back in, the vacuum actuator that operates the manifold's internal throttle blades began to work. This is probably unrelated, but at this point, I'll try anything. The car didn't act up this morning, but the traffic conditions weren't the same (slower speeds). I'm wondering if this is a vacuum related problem, because when it acts up, I can floor the gas pedal (engine @ 0Hg/In vacuum), the car accelerates fine.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:04 AM
I'm needing a caw

Keep us posted in how it runs. Any vaccum leaks will affect idle and part throttle running. The hose you mentioned controls the varible intake manifold section
Old 11-18-2003, 11:07 AM

I am having the same exact same problem as you are. I am even getting the popping sound. The dealer told me it was the MAF sensor. So i am going to order one from a junkyard search.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by probmxstyle
I am having the same exact same problem as you are. I am even getting the popping sound. The dealer told me it was the MAF sensor. So i am going to order one from a junkyard search.
Wouldn't you get a "Check Engine" light or at least a code in Self-Diagnostic mode for a bad MAF?
Old 11-19-2003, 07:09 AM

So far I've verified the following:
-EGR valve
-PCV valve
-Fuel pressure
-New fuel filter, plugs
-Wires and cap are in good shape
-Ran Self-Diagnostic Mode; No codes
-02 sensor has about 50000 kms on it ( I was told that it won't throw a code until it totally dies, but can operate poorly without showing a code.)

I did notice something, on the VG there is a black vacuum canister next to the master cylinder with 2 vacuum hoses. One of the hoses was disconnected from the manifold, and when I plugged it back in, the vacuum actuator that operates the manifold's internal throttle blades began to work. This is probably unrelated, but at this point, I'll try anything. The car didn't act up this morning, but the traffic conditions weren't the same (slower speeds). I'm wondering if this is a vacuum related problem, because when it acts up, I can floor the gas pedal (engine @ 0Hg/In vacuum), the car accelerates fine.
I verifed that the MAF is working o.k. last night with a voltmeter.
Just for kicks, I checked the ignition coil resistance. The manual calls for "approximately" 1 ohm, and I checked it 3 different times and got between 1.6 to 2,1 ohms, I wonder if the coil is on it's way out? I'm beginning to suspect the 02 sensor.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:24 PM

i just started having the same problems today, i have a VE though..that black canister you're talking about, i have it on the strut tower, i plugged it in and the idle was funny, fluctuating between 700 and 1600rpm.
part throttle driving is ridiculous and it takes alot of throttle to get it to go right, the problem i have with that is, my motor is just a baby, 114 miles on it so far so i'd highly doubt its internal related. i have been having electrical problems so i'm thinking it could be the TPS but when my TPS went bad before it was nothing like this.
be sure to post up if you find the solution, i'll do the same.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:35 AM

anyone find anything new? i'm still having the stuttering problem but it doesnt seem to be as often or as bad..it typically happens in 2nd gear when i punch it, under high load in 3rd, 4th and 5th. never a problem in first which i find odd. its also not all the time which makes me think its something electrical. i'd highly doubt if its pinging/knocking but it could be the knock sensor but again, for some reason i doubt it.
Old 11-21-2003, 07:47 AM
mod or sell?

Have you checked your injectors yet?
They have a very high tendancy to go weird.
Old 11-21-2003, 08:25 AM

My car had the stumble again today, after 5 days without acting up after reconnecting that vacuum canister near the master cylinder, (see previous post) Today it didn't do it as badly, and last as long this time. I'm out of ideas right now. I have one injector that had high resistance about 8 months ago, and my 02 sensor has about 50,000 km on it. Those are my next targets. . . ughhh!
Old 11-21-2003, 08:50 AM

i'll check them tomorrow...i'm preparing for the worst, which is why you just priced some injectors for me
Old 11-25-2003, 06:54 AM

I verifed that the MAF is working o.k. last night with a voltmeter.
Just for kicks, I checked the ignition coil resistance. The manual calls for "approximately" 1 ohm, and I checked it 3 different times and got between 1.6 to 2,1 ohms, I wonder if the coil is on it's way out? I'm beginning to suspect the 02 sensor.
The latest thing I tested was the TPS, and it was o.k. I'm beginning to suspect the tons of ground cables from te engine to the chassis; they don'y look too healthy. Other than that, maybe the 02 sensor. I still have the occasional stumble, it lasts for about 5 minutes, then goes away. Anyone have any new experiences or developments?
Old 11-25-2003, 10:35 AM

[long]

The latest thing I tested was the TPS, and it was o.k. I'm beginning to suspect the tons of ground cables from te engine to the chassis; they don'y look too healthy. Other than that, maybe the 02 sensor. I still have the occasional stumble, it lasts for about 5 minutes, then goes away. Anyone have any new experiences or developments?
actually i do.
a few days ago my car started idling at 2000rpm for whatever reason..i wasnt in a position to fix it at the time so i eventually drove it home and reconnected a vac hose..made no difference, let it sit for a few hours before i went to work and it was idling at 1800, steady. the numbers i'm giving are warm idle by the way..
get out of work, still 1800, next day, same thing. so i diddled with the TPS, got it down to 1400 and now it goes somewhere between 750 and 1400(depending on its mood i guess). the strange thing is, now that its idling higher, the stutter is gone. it still bucks slightly when decelerating in gear above 2000rpm, but its not bad.
the only other thing i did was add a full bottle of redline injector cleaner and a full tank of 93octane from mobil. i'm going to replace all my old vac lines this weekend and order a new oxygen sensor within 2 weeks..also my thermostat is stuck slightly open so it takes forever for the car to warm up, and if i'm on the highway, it cools right back down..but i have another one sitting in my backseat, maybe i'll do that today.
also i have tons and tons of electrical wierdness, and that'll hopefully get figured out on wednesday.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by MaDMaX024
actually i do.
a few days ago my car started idling at 2000rpm for whatever reason..i wasnt in a position to fix it at the time so i eventually drove it home and reconnected a vac hose..made no difference, let it sit for a few hours before i went to work and it was idling at 1800, steady. the numbers i'm giving are warm idle by the way..
get out of work, still 1800, next day, same thing. so i diddled with the TPS, got it down to 1400 and now it goes somewhere between 750 and 1400(depending on its mood i guess). the strange thing is, now that its idling higher, the stutter is gone. it still bucks slightly when decelerating in gear above 2000rpm, but its not bad.
the only other thing i did was add a full bottle of redline injector cleaner and a full tank of 93octane from mobil. i'm going to replace all my old vac lines this weekend and order a new oxygen sensor within 2 weeks..also my thermostat is stuck slightly open so it takes forever for the car to warm up, and if i'm on the highway, it cools right back down..but i have another one sitting in my backseat, maybe i'll do that today.
also i have tons and tons of electrical wierdness, and that'll hopefully get figured out on wednesday.
Just a thought, but your Idle Air Control Valve may need a cleaning, if the plunger can't seat fully because of crud build-up, the idle wil be higher. I've heard elsewhere that with all of the ground straps that these cars had, the possibility of a poor ground is likely. I know my straps are pretty corroded looking. I even think I saw one of the moderators on this site selling a ground strap kit. I'll keep plugging away and hopefully I'll find something.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:36 AM

Just a thought, but your Idle Air Control Valve may need a cleaning, if the plunger can't seat fully because of crud build-up, the idle wil be higher. I've heard elsewhere that with all of the ground straps that these cars had, the possibility of a poor ground is likely. I know my straps are pretty corroded looking. I even think I saw one of the moderators on this site selling a ground strap kit. I'll keep plugging away and hopefully I'll find something.
for the amount that i've cleaned the IACV, it shouldnt be dirty. i'm convinced its electrical/sensor related, i also have a vac leak somewhere but i cant find it as of yet (can just hear it). i'll eventually replace all vac lines like i should've done when the motor was in my driveway rather than in the car. PITA!
Old 12-01-2003, 08:43 PM

I found the problem, it was the 02 sensor. The car started to act up at idle so I ran the self-diagnostic test and discovered the 02 sensor was bad.. . . huge relief.