3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Its getting colder out, how is your car taking it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003 | 04:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Its getting colder out, how is your car taking it?

Hey guys,
As the temperatures get colder, have you noticed any new tendancies with your car?

I've noticed mine is harder to start, takes longer and sometimes it doesnt want to start the first try. Thats really only when the engine is cold though. I noticed right away on the first cold morning we had that my car had alot more torque than normal, so that was cool

-Shawn
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:00 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

wish i could tell you. right after it finally ot nice and cold here is when i broke her. at any rate the stupid mechanic is taking his sweet time, the cars not even in the garadge yet !!! can you believe that ? im going there tommorrow to rant and rave about how special my max is and i need it back now. !!! sorry to jack the thread...
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:19 PM

Car was acting good until my alternator went out last weekend. But I usually use the winter as my time for fixing any problems I had previously, maintaining it and getting it tuned up properly. Once all that is done by hopefully end of January, i'll start getting my mods finished up for the summer.
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:34 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I realized that my thermostat isn't working.
Old 11-12-2003 | 10:45 PM
rcy

Originally Posted by MrGone
Hey guys,
As the temperatures get colder, have you noticed any new tendancies with your car?

I've noticed mine is harder to start, takes longer and sometimes it doesnt want to start the first try. Thats really only when the engine is cold though. I noticed right away on the first cold morning we had that my car had alot more torque than normal, so that was cool

-Shawn
My car's high beams are always on in the cold weather....

(if your mind is in the gutter, you'll get this post)
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:23 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by rcy
My car's high beams are always on in the cold weather....

(if your mind is in the gutter, you'll get this post)

Gotcha, rcy!

Although mine seems to have a lot more torque (like Shawn said), it's also running ruff as heck! I'm inclined to think that the little, pesky injector I didn't get a chance to change when the weather was nice out.

And the funny thing is, I diagnosed one of my rear-bank injectors as being bad a couple of months ago (output was somewhere in the 3-5 ohm range), and the car ran like crap. Then, mysteriously, the car started running great again. Now, right after our first significant snowfall, the car is running like crap again.

Times like this, I wish I had a garage...
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:01 AM

found out i need to clean the heater core out on my gxe. i should know tomorrow if i'll need to do anything to the se
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:16 AM

My car runs great int he winter. Except for about the first 5-6 minutes when it's FREEZING COLD inside the car.

The shifter is also a bit hard to move probably cause of the gear oil being cold.

But other than that its basically the same as driving it during the day. I guess that's a good thing.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:21 AM

to live and drive in LA

counter to popular myth, it DOES getting f*cking cold in LA at night in the winter. the desert is either broiling or freezing, remember, and it gets some of that phenomenon as the seasons change.

anyway. the CAI loves the cold charge air. more pickup. subtle, but nice. shifter can be sluggish at night, as the lube on parts is prolly cold. but it goes away soon.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:48 AM

Hey guys,

-Shawn
lovethe cold air, big diff in power, think i might tur up the boost
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:00 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by 4signs
lovethe cold air, big diff in power, think i might tur up the boost
Is that safe with the colder air, or does it make that much of a difference? I'm assuming it works on the same principle as with denser air. I'll be honest, all the info I know about turbos and 3rd gen VE's, I've gotten from all the "can I put a turbo in a VE" posts here, and the subsequent locked threads from mods saying "take that question and shove it up yer @$$".

So, enlightenment wouldn't be bad for me.
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:28 AM

I actually did some searches and dug up old threads about turbo, and yet they get locked when i post about them. legit questions. No reason why they should get locked. 4signs. I was wondering what happend to you and your maxima. Can you give any further info on how many hp your pushing out and maybe a write up>>??

Funny how people say "search, its been asked, " or my favorite " with any amount of money anything is possible "... Asking questions about turboing 3rd gens in this forum is really tiresome, and i wish there was one thread that can be posted with the proper information, instead of being flamed, or getting the thread l ocked.
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:48 AM

my favorite one is everyone telling everyone else to search, then we have server problems and its because of the resources the search uses. round and round the loop goes.

Back on topic a bit, I think I get a more noticeable power gain from my VE by driving around in 30-40* weather than the difference on my Dads car when I put the Injen Intake on it.
Old 11-13-2003 | 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Is that safe with the colder air, or does it make that much of a difference? I'm assuming it works on the same principle as with denser air. I'll be honest, all the info I know about turbos and 3rd gen VE's, I've gotten from all the "can I put a turbo in a VE" posts here, and the subsequent locked threads from mods saying "take that question and shove it up yer @$$".

So, enlightenment wouldn't be bad for me.
same principle with denser air. The turbo compresses the air (boost) which heats the ambient air, then travels to the intercooler (to cool the compressed air) back into the engine bay to the Throttle body. The turbo generates a lot of heat under my hood, so after driving around for a while the turbo sucks in warmer air, compressing it (making it hotter) to the intercooler to cool, and back up to the hot engine bay (the IC piping traveling back into my engine bay can get pretty warm heating the air right before hitting the throttle body)
Never got around to wrapping the IC pipes or fabricating a CAI, Heat shielding etc.
Rule# 1 to much heat equals detonation,
More boost (compresses more air) equal more heat
Cold day cooler air to be compresses, cooler air to chill the intercooler, cooler under hood temps equals= more dense air to mix with fuel creating more power and complying with rule #1
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by crazy4maxima
I actually did some searches and dug up old threads about turbo, and yet they get locked when i post about them. legit questions. No reason why they should get locked. 4signs. I was wondering what happend to you and your maxima. Can you give any further info on how many hp your pushing out and maybe a write up>>??

Funny how people say "search, its been asked, " or my favorite " with any amount of money anything is possible "... Asking questions about turboing 3rd gens in this forum is really tiresome, and i wish there was one thread that can be posted with the proper information, instead of being flamed, or getting the thread l ocked.
The biggest issue I have been having with my max has been drive train issues. I broke a half shaft, blew a seal in the turbo (kink in the oil return line) and been dealing with my 5spd tranny. I’m only boosting around 4psi, because I haven’t had the time to dyno, and really tune the car. I’m also afraid of breaking anything right know, because I don’t have the time to fix it. I was planning on doing a write up after I dyno. The car is still running strong, swapped from a t4 to t4/t3 hybrid and im trying to baby her (its get too cold to work outside)
Old 11-13-2003 | 04:05 AM

seems to run with more torque, as would be expected with the colder air
Old 11-13-2003 | 06:31 AM

I look forward to winter since my car runs much better. As for turbo's cold air is good, my bro's eagle talon runs much better also.
Old 11-13-2003 | 06:43 AM
mod or sell?

Mine was running good til this morning on the way to work.
I was doing a TAD over the limit and when I finally came back down to "normal" speeds the car was running crappy.
Got to work popped the hood, and started disconnecting coils one ata time.
Freakin front and center ain't firing. Hope it's not the injector. I don't wanna pull the intake.
I'm hoping for a coil.
Old 11-13-2003 | 06:58 AM
STFU n00b!

hmmm.. winter?
It's still mid 80s during the day here.

Izzy... as for the locked posts, there hasn't been anything informative posted lately. I'll be more than happy to leave them open if it's actually something informative or someone making progress.
the last one I saw, was a post almost a year old that had been dug out of the muck.... "did anyone ever call this guy? I'm gonna call him. Or will someone else do it for me?"
That's not progress.... progress is calling the guy and he says "Sure. bring it in next week and we'll get you fixed up....." Then you actually posting three weeks later when there's stuff bolted onto the car. THAT's stuff that I won't lock.
Old 11-13-2003 | 07:26 AM

it's been spring like this past week here. think it was 84 yesterday afternoon.

but when it does get cold, my tranny shifts just a bit harder than usual. other than that, no major issues.
Old 11-13-2003 | 07:56 AM
Dreams of a RB26DETT

My car runs a bit better, but i have mine in a garage all night dont want my shyt with frost on it. But Utah Gets DAYM cold in the morning like low low 30's we are suppose to get show for the next 2 days. and im noticing the TICK.
Old 11-13-2003 | 09:11 AM

Gear selection while cold?

It's in the low 30's today- went to back out of my space at work in reverse, stopped completely, and shifted straight to 1st (obviously)- coming out of reverse it was pretty notchy, but dropped right into 1st- however, when I let the clutch out, it wasn't in gear, shifter in 1st, but no love. I had this problem on my old tranny (which was far from perfect) but this one is fairly new, so I'm nervous. Otherwise just a bit notchy when cold, perfect when warm. Do any of you guys have this issue?

And yeah, I'm planning on swapping fluid, has been about 8 months - (flogs self)
Old 11-13-2003 | 09:31 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Nighty93MaxSE
It's in the low 30's today- went to back out of my space at work in reverse, stopped completely, and shifted straight to 1st (obviously)- coming out of reverse it was pretty notchy, but dropped right into 1st- however, when I let the clutch out, it wasn't in gear, shifter in 1st, but no love. I had this problem on my old tranny (which was far from perfect) but this one is fairly new, so I'm nervous. Otherwise just a bit notchy when cold, perfect when warm. Do any of you guys have this issue?

And yeah, I'm planning on swapping fluid, has been about 8 months - (flogs self)
Try a synthetic gear lube.
they have better cold weather properties in general
Old 11-13-2003 | 10:27 AM

synthetic gear lube isn't good to use on our trannies. gl-5 gear oil eats yellow metals and the syncros in our trannies are brass so therefore gl-4 will wear them down. gl-5 also, somehow, makes the tranny a bit harder to shift. sadly, we have to stick with the regular gl-4 gear oil.
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:45 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mtcookson
synthetic gear lube isn't good to use on our trannies. gl-5 gear oil eats yellow metals and the syncros in our trannies are brass so therefore gl-4 will wear them down. gl-5 also, somehow, makes the tranny a bit harder to shift. sadly, we have to stick with the regular gl-4 gear oil.
somebody has to make a synthetic GL-4
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:50 AM
I'm needing a caw

My JWT ecu and resistor mod loves the cold weather.
Old 11-13-2003 | 11:51 AM
I'm needing a caw

Amsoil sadfsadf
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:03 PM

Gas smell is back I asked mechanic last year to check fuel hoses and he said they were ok. Its only there in cold, has to be cracked hoses right? Otherwise car is running good.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:20 PM

You know what, just sit back an enjoy the gas smell. Might as well enjoy your cars flaws.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:43 PM

My tranny cooler is'nt letting the tranny get warm enough. So I'm gonna have to put a piece of cardboard in front of the cooler. During the first 10 minutes of high speed cruising the engine rpm will be about 200rpm above the norm. It's just the torque convertor unlocked.

I plan on replacing my solenoid pack in the near future, since they are known to go bad in the VG, and they are pretty cheap for the VE.
Old 11-13-2003 | 12:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Not cracked. Just old and brittle. Cold, they will leak. Then when the engine warms up, they soften and seal. For the VE, it's very easy. Just go down to the auto store and buy some correct sized FUEL INJECTION hose and replace. There are only about 3-5 places that have fuel hose and they are all easily accessible.

BTW. I got page 2 ownage.

Originally Posted by 94M@X
Gas smell is back I asked mechanic last year to check fuel hoses and he said they were ok. Its only there in cold, has to be cracked hoses right? Otherwise car is running good.
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:24 PM

The JWT + Resistor might love the cold air.... but I bet your clutch doesnt
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

You wanna find out?

The JWT + Resistor might love the cold air.... but I bet your clutch doesnt
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:42 PM
I'm needing a caw

http://www.amsoil.com/products/tgr.html Amsoil is gl-2 through gl-5 compatible.

Originally Posted by mtcookson
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:50 PM

I'm with Matt and Fosgate..hasn't really gotten too cold yet in Dallas, either, but supposed to go into the 40's tonight. In general, though, both my Max and my Stanza both run a ton better in the cold air. The Stanza feels like a new car..
Old 11-13-2003 | 01:57 PM

Redline MT-90 is also GL-4 compliant.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
http://www.amsoil.com/products/tgr.html Amsoil is gl-2 through gl-5 compatible.
awesome. thanks for the info.
Old 11-13-2003 | 03:49 PM

More torque.

Garage princess, you guys have fun scraping your windows this winter.
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Gjohnson
More torque.

Garage princess, you guys have fun scraping your windows this winter.
Mine's got a space in the underground bunker.
Old 11-13-2003 | 08:19 PM

clutch slips in the morning untill it heats up. Kind of a wierd feeling.

Quick Reply: Its getting colder out, how is your car taking it?