3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: Which one looks better?
pic 1. enkei tbs11
19.57%
pic 2. X-wheels 5 spoke
80.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

which one do you think will look better on a 3G

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 07:05 AM
mod or sell?

which one do you think will look better on a 3G

1. $60
$100
Old 11-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Banned

Go with the 5- spoke, simple always works and looks better!
Old 11-23-2003, 08:14 AM

I think the 5-spoke would be better in this case
Old 11-23-2003, 08:45 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

5 spoke

the other ones are kinda old looking
Old 11-23-2003, 10:58 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wheel op

5 spoke is safer bet.

it does depend on many things, though. is the car dropped? what tire size are you running? does that car have a body kit on it? these factors heavily determine wheel-look and how the wheels influence the presentation of a particular car body.

the mesh wheel could look cool if the tires were wide/thick enough and the car were dropped.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:06 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by bonzelite
5 spoke is safer bet.

it does depend on many things, though. is the car dropped? what tire size are you running? does that car have a body kit on it? these factors heavily determine wheel-look and how the wheels influence the presentation of a particular car body.

the mesh wheel could look cool if the tires were wide/thick enough and the car were dropped.
Bone stock, no drop, 17" wheels as wide as I can go with no rub at full compression.
Gotta prepare for a big brake kit ya'know
Old 11-23-2003, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Bone stock, no drop, 17" wheels as wide as I can go with no rub at full compression.
Gotta prepare for a big brake kit ya'know
brian,

in your case, go with the 5 spoke. were you dropping, the choice would be harder.

for ***** and giggles, i will tell you why i think this: the mesh look is not bad, actually cool if they are setup right with OTHER things to support them. why? because they are "lighter" looking and have lots of air gaps between all of the structural/visual components. now>>> add stock wheel gap (more air) and anemic tires (thin low-profile) and you have this top-heavy car body floating miles above these loosey-goosey mesh air things that look weak. or off-putting. it will give the impression that something is missing or "half-baked." just believe me.

the 5 spokes, IN THIS CASE, will boldly cement the car to the earth and make a better presentation, even with the OEM wheel gap.
Old 11-23-2003, 01:34 PM
Loved by MrGone longtime

I think the 5-spoke rims have it.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:17 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey those look familiar...

5 spoke for sure.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:20 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by davebond007
Hey those look familiar...

5 spoke for sure.
These are different ones! but you can but em too if you want, I'll find something else.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:24 PM
Getting back to his roots

I'd have to agree that the 5-spoke look is the best on a 3rd gen
Old 11-23-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
These are different ones! but you can but em too if you want, I'll find something else.
How are they different? They look pretty close to the ones I found on ebay (the 5 spoke ones).

It's ok, we live far enough apart that we can have identical rims and not get flamed.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
I'd have to agree that the 5-spoke look is the best on a 3rd gen
Especially since you have the uber-5 spokes.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:44 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by davebond007
How are they different? They look pretty close to the ones I found on ebay (the 5 spoke ones).

It's ok, we live far enough apart that we can have identical rims and not get flamed.
We'll just have to make sure that we have different ones when we go to the big .org meet
Old 11-23-2003, 04:24 PM

numero dos
Old 11-23-2003, 05:11 PM

5-Spoke

The first ones look terrible, especially for a Maxima.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:13 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

I guess it's up to ME to be different, huh?

This is just MY personal opinion, but here goes:

Enkei TBS-11 =
X-Wheels 5 Spoke =

I just think that everyone and their mom has 5 spoke rims nowadays. I think if I pulled up all the 3rd gen Max pics I've got stored on my computer, 90% of them will have some form of 5 spoke rim on them. And for me, it's all about being unique AND. And the way I look at it, pretty much ALL 5 spoke rims border on being a lemming - and the cliff's looking awfully close.

But... it's your car. Your expression. But for me, I'd trade my Max in on a Pinto with no rear bumper and drive it in a demolition derby before I EVER put 5 spokes on my car.

Old 11-23-2003, 07:40 PM

But the thing is, you don't wanna make it so unique that it's ugly. Putting 10 spoke rims that bend in 20 different directions and have rivets/bumps/indents/curves all over them on a 4dr sedan that for the most part has a plain and smooth body style is a no-no. It just doesn't match. It doesn't look neat. It doesn't look professional. It looks.... how should I put this... rice.

Of course that is my opinion. If you want radical rims that totally conflict with the body of the car then go ahead and buy em. But while you're at it, you might as well pick up a few cans of spraypaint and spray rainbows all over your car.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:51 PM

again, #2, and yes that is before I saw the replies, or even the prices.
Also dont mind Nupe, he's a ricer
And also shaved said #2, and who's going to argue with Juan?

Dave, how are you going to make a big maxima meet if you cant even make a big local one? Your loss, 3 Aztec Red VE 5spds... Anyone ever see that before? All factory black leather, yeah, 3rd gen Heaven.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:56 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MrGone
again, #2, and yes that is before I saw the replies, or even the prices.
Also dont mind Nupe, he's a ricer
And also shaved said #2, and who's going to argue with Juan?

Dave, how are you going to make a big maxima meet if you cant even make a big local one? Your loss, 3 Aztec Red VE 5spds... Anyone ever see that before? All factory black leather, yeah, 3rd gen Heaven.
by Shawn...

If I had relocated to Seattle like my old job wanted me to, I'd be at that meet, bro...

Once again, by the new job blues....

(I guess this would be called hijacking a thread, so back to topic...)
Ok, so maybe you've got a point about the 5 spoke theory. But I still think the other ones look nicer. So...
Old 11-23-2003, 08:48 PM
Dysfunctional

Neither ... they are both pretty ugly ...
get MODA R6's if you like 5 spokes, or get some Volk gram light PRO's

Old 11-23-2003, 09:41 PM
Way out West

I would go with the 5-spoke wheels, because they are easier to keep clean :P

Spipedong got some sweet looking 17s. I can't remember the type, but I saw them in person today and I like them a lot! I would get them, but the next meet we'd be breaking each other's locks trying to get in the wrong car.

Don't forget MrGone...Dave missed the Skyline, too!
Old 11-24-2003, 12:27 AM

Nupey, that would be awesome if you could be out here. We should all make a new country called Maxima country and move there, but then DanNY would move just outside the boarder and walk in from time to time

The skyline was the only reason why dave wanted to go... I think.

If you ask me, 3 red VE 5spds with factory black leather is more rare than a R33 . Plus our little cruise on the highway, that was great, and the cars at the end were starting to just cross over and not interrupt our little line. I wish I would have had my 3rd gen though, man that would have been awesome.
Maybe we should just start a thread about the meet and show the pics, I'm sure people wouldnt mind seeing some 3rd gens (we could have had 7).

Back on topic, Brian...
The way I see it, you only really have one option. Option #2. The reason is because if you choose option number one, you would be different (ie. Dodge Different) and seeing as your a Chevy guy, you couldn't be Dodge Different, therefore only allowing you to get option #2.

Dont forget to follow my rule when putting the new wheels on. If you dont know the rule, read my signature.
Old 11-24-2003, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
The skyline was the only reason why dave wanted to go... I think.
That was one of the reasons. Pretty close to the top of the list. Actually we'll put it at #1 and #2 being getting to meet everyone again.

Hehehe. I Skylines. It'd be the only other nissan that I really want (yes, that includes the G35 coupe, because, it is a Skyline too ).
Old 11-24-2003, 05:16 AM
Grumpy old guy

Wife finds out the beginning of this week if she's getting transfered to Seattle with Nupes old job...

So maybe I'll be able to show up even if he can't.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:17 AM

If I had to choose from your 2 selections I would have to say........ #2
Old 11-24-2003, 05:32 AM

This is simple.
5 Spoke all the way, plus its easier to clean!
Old 11-24-2003, 07:09 AM

Bonzlite makes a good point.

Just because a wheel looks cooler by itself, it doesn't mean that it will do on a car. Neither of the wheels will look good if put on a Yugo (gosh, whatever happened to them?).

As for the first wheel, it does look light, but moreover, it is chock full of angles and lines. This is somehting that the 3rd gen totally lacks. The 3rd gen has more graceful curves than lines. I think the first one would look better on something like the skyline GT-R, or even the newer cars with angles and edges (like the eclipse, etc). If I was getting the wheels for my 3rd gen, it would have to be accompanied by angular body kit, but then again, the angular body kit would completely clash with the 3rd gen body design philosophy... (plus I haven't really seen decent body kits for 3rd gen, they all look like a 4th grader designed it after seeing "fast and the furious").

The 3rd gen look bigger on top, so the 5-spoke would accomodate the look.

In the end, it's your own preference that counts, but there are alot of ridiculous looking 3rd gens in NYC area (no offense NYC 3rd gens, I am not saying ALL of you are like this), where they put a front spoiler that looks bigger than the car itself, wheels that look like they belong to an italian exotic, and then after that, there nothing else left except led washer nozzles, "MAXIMA" windshield decal on front windshield, and a BIG Nissan logo that fills the entire rear windshield, fleece seat covers, GTO black headlamp covers, aluminum spoiler, and maybe a rabbit's foot for the keychain.

In the end, you can really mess up your car's image by mindlessly slapping in parts. I think car design (and modification) is an art. You have to look at what all the components do to the car in whole.

Agreeing with Bonzelite, if the car was dropped, #1 maybe justified, but if you have stock height on 3rd gen, I have to agree that the car would look top-heavy, and not to mention anyone and their grandma will know that the wheels are aftermarket. It's not a bad thing to have people know that it's aftermarket, but I think it'd a bad thing when people think it's aftermarket only because they realize that the designer for the manufacturers will no way have thought about putting such wheel on a such car...

Just my 2cents.

Originally Posted by bonzelite
brian,

in your case, go with the 5 spoke. were you dropping, the choice would be harder.

for ***** and giggles, i will tell you why i think this: the mesh look is not bad, actually cool if they are setup right with OTHER things to support them. why? because they are "lighter" looking and have lots of air gaps between all of the structural/visual components. now>>> add stock wheel gap (more air) and anemic tires (thin low-profile) and you have this top-heavy car body floating miles above these loosey-goosey mesh air things that look weak. or off-putting. it will give the impression that something is missing or "half-baked." just believe me.

the 5 spokes, IN THIS CASE, will boldly cement the car to the earth and make a better presentation, even with the OEM wheel gap.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:44 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Pyrophilus
Bonzlite makes a good point.

Just because a wheel looks cooler by itself, it doesn't mean that it will do on a car. Neither of the wheels will look good if put on a Yugo (gosh, whatever happened to them?).

As for the first wheel, it does look light, but moreover, it is chock full of angles and lines. This is somehting that the 3rd gen totally lacks. The 3rd gen has more graceful curves than lines. I think the first one would look better on something like the skyline GT-R, or even the newer cars with angles and edges (like the eclipse, etc). If I was getting the wheels for my 3rd gen, it would have to be accompanied by angular body kit, but then again, the angular body kit would completely clash with the 3rd gen body design philosophy... (plus I haven't really seen decent body kits for 3rd gen, they all look like a 4th grader designed it after seeing "fast and the furious").

The 3rd gen look bigger on top, so the 5-spoke would accomodate the look.

In the end, it's your own preference that counts, but there are alot of ridiculous looking 3rd gens in NYC area (no offense NYC 3rd gens, I am not saying ALL of you are like this), where they put a front spoiler that looks bigger than the car itself, wheels that look like they belong to an italian exotic, and then after that, there nothing else left except led washer nozzles, "MAXIMA" windshield decal on front windshield, and a BIG Nissan logo that fills the entire rear windshield, fleece seat covers, GTO black headlamp covers, aluminum spoiler, and maybe a rabbit's foot for the keychain.

In the end, you can really mess up your car's image by mindlessly slapping in parts. I think car design (and modification) is an art. You have to look at what all the components do to the car in whole.

Agreeing with Bonzelite, if the car was dropped, #1 maybe justified, but if you have stock height on 3rd gen, I have to agree that the car would look top-heavy, and not to mention anyone and their grandma will know that the wheels are aftermarket. It's not a bad thing to have people know that it's aftermarket, but I think it'd a bad thing when people think it's aftermarket only because they realize that the designer for the manufacturers will no way have thought about putting such wheel on a such car...

Just my 2cents.
I was only truly considering the first ones only cause of price but you guys are right they probably would look like crap and get stolen because they are obviously aftermarket.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:56 AM

5 spoke. I love 5 spoke wheels, they make 3rd gens look great.
Old 11-24-2003, 10:20 AM
e_is_chillin

Ummmm... did any one say five spoke?

Old 11-24-2003, 11:27 AM

or click

I like 5 spokes, but I like the hard edges of the Breaker better. I'd also say go with a 7.5" wide wheel if you can afford it.

Oh yeah, and get that injector fixed first.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:30 AM

I would say go with a 17x8 and I really like the hard edges too. I really like the Konig Villians, they were my favorite but they don't make them anymore
Old 11-24-2003, 11:36 AM

5 spoke all the way
Old 11-24-2003, 08:45 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

by all these 5 spoke lovers...
Old 11-24-2003, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by e_is_chillin
dude, your max is boss. totally rad and fly. clean.

GTR badge works.
Old 11-24-2003, 11:14 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by e_is_chillin

J, who's that across the street from you with the maroon 3rd Gen? Anyone we know??
Old 11-25-2003, 02:05 PM
living out of a maxima...

Make sure you get something that will clear the big brake kit. I don't know about the 3rd gens, but 4th need mid-30's offset and a spoke design where the spokes are pretty close to flush with the outside of the rim.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:09 PM
I'm needing a caw

Old 11-25-2003, 02:11 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by JeffesonM
Make sure you get something that will clear the big brake kit. I don't know about the 3rd gens, but 4th need mid-30's offset and a spoke design where the spokes are pretty close to flush with the outside of the rim.
ooooohh Good point. I gotta upgrade my brakes soon too I'm too spongey when I get to hard on them