3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Another one Bites the Dust

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 11:13 PM

Another one Bites the Dust

SO to make a long story short. Ive had 1990 Se Max and its been treating me good for awhile all up until this summer way too many repairs all of a sudden and also at 190k the engine is now burning oil. So i said to the heck with this and I went out looking for a new one and I found a 91 GXe auto that had salvaged title for 450$ wit only 92k. So I scooped it up. Me and another orger swapped my interior and stereo system. DId the brakes and tires and windshield wiper. While I had been doing the repairs and working on the GXE i held back from registering it and insuraning it because I was leaving for the Airforce in dec and didnt wanna pay for that stuff if im not even driving it. Anyways one day i jus drove the gxe to get sumtin real quick pulled out a lot and some meat head smacked me going like 25mph. All in all he was at fault I only got a ticket for proof of insurance and was stuck wit a busted gxe. but now that Ive been thinking about it. I think I should try and go after him and see if i can get his insurance to fix my car since he was at fault. Do you guys think this will work or wha. I need some advice here.???????
Old 11-25-2003, 11:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

His insurance should pay for it if it's his fault
Old 11-25-2003, 11:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yes, since he wrecked your car, you can get money for it.

You do want the money that's out there, right?
Old 11-26-2003, 12:01 AM

so even if i didnt have it insured or registered i can still get the money for it and not have any problems
Old 11-26-2003, 12:05 AM

ah, well there might be a problem if its not registered........not too sure
Old 11-26-2003, 12:17 AM

exactly....i wonder what would happenif i got in registered right now if i still could get the money??????????
Old 11-26-2003, 05:22 AM
mod or sell?

if you register it now, see what fine you'll be charged for failing to have registered it when you bought it. they may "backdate" your paperwork which would then show your legal possesion of the car at time of accident.
BTW some insurance cos. give you 30 day gap coverage when getting a new car.
Old 11-26-2003, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by SupaMax
SO to make a long story short. Ive had 1990 Se Max and its been treating me good for awhile all up until this summer way too many repairs all of a sudden and also at 190k the engine is now burning oil. So i said to the heck with this and I went out looking for a new one and I found a 91 GXe auto that had salvaged title for 450$ wit only 92k. So I scooped it up. Me and another orger swapped my interior and stereo system. DId the brakes and tires and windshield wiper. While I had been doing the repairs and working on the GXE i held back from registering it and insuraning it because I was leaving for the Airforce in dec and didnt wanna pay for that stuff if im not even driving it. Anyways one day i jus drove the gxe to get sumtin real quick pulled out a lot and some meat head smacked me going like 25mph. All in all he was at fault I only got a ticket for proof of insurance and was stuck wit a busted gxe. but now that Ive been thinking about it. I think I should try and go after him and see if i can get his insurance to fix my car since he was at fault. Do you guys think this will work or wha. I need some advice here.???????
Two things to keep in mind...First of all..since u got a ticket, there's more than likely a police report for this event. and insurance companies LOVE police reports! cuz they have the date of the accident and it will probably say u had no insurance and NO registration either. basically...your car wasnt even supposed to be on the road.

Second...the other guy might try to pin partial liability on you for failing to lookout/yield before pulling out of your parking spot.

But yeah go for it...make the claim...atleast give it a try.

I Think insurance companies would give the 30 day gap coverage but the car has to be registered atleast for that. either with a dealer's license plate or personal...but state rules vary...so go ahead, make the claim and see what happens.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:28 AM

First try to get the police report, see what is written as the statement the other guy said caused the accident. If it was his fault the insurance company really won't give you that hard of a time than normal. But if they don't want to pay going to court is really not that good of an idea since you have no insurance and no registration, the judge will eat you alive.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:37 AM

you could always shove the constitution in judges face if does that and show him that licenses and license plates are unconstituational. actually, i think its that they can't tax the road ways. it actually says they can't tax the waterways and i believe there was a ruling that said the roads will be the same as the waterways so therefore they are forcing something on us that is unconstitutional.

that's one of the many reasons why i'm bitter torwards our damn government...
Old 11-26-2003, 11:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Whoopty do if you aren't registered/insured, he hit YOU. It could've been a grocery cart, a little kid or the presidential limousine, it doesn't matter. The fact is, he hit you and is at fault, therefore he is responsible for your damage.
Old 11-26-2003, 11:47 AM

you can probably also tell them that you didn't want to register it since you are going into the airforce and because of that the court may be in your favor. i could be wrong though... the courts are wacky.
Old 11-26-2003, 12:18 PM
Grumpy old guy

Yes he hit you but make sure you were insured otherwise the fault is yours due to the fact that your illegal car should not have been on the road to hit.

I drive for a towing company and trust me uninsured or unregged means illegal, then the fault is yours in most cases.
Old 11-26-2003, 02:56 PM

so it looks basically im outtt on a car now if since it isnt regist or insured.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:02 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

I told you to lie like a rug damn you. See the cool part of the situation was the dash VIN # matched the registration from the old car. They were both black, one a 90 the other a 91..............who would know the difference! But its better to be safe than sorry right Dan? You know im P.O.ed since we spent a few days swapping parts and it goes down the toilet. And now the Camry's dead too....at least he got a 2000 GXE and when you get out of the Air Force you'll have a new car too.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by SupaMax
so it looks basically im outtt on a car now if since it isnt regist or insured.

I just checked with someone about ur case....in civil law, that guy hit u...period. and IF he's at fault...he owes u money for damage. the fact that he hit u matters. if u r registered or not wont matter.

in CRIMINAL law, yes ur not bieng registered would matter, therefore u got the ticket.

so my friend , its possible that u have case against the person who hit u...good luck.
Old 11-28-2003, 11:15 AM

nice then ill start to look into it more...Ill jus end up giving his insurance comp a call.....
Old 11-28-2003, 01:24 PM
STFU n00b!

Step #1 would be to get the car registered and insured. no matter what else happens, do that. that way the judge and/or insurance company can't say **** about it now. Just tell them you were out of town due to military, or preparing to leave and forgot about doing it. apologize and pay the extra fees like a man. the late fees will be much less than paying to fix the entire car.

step #2 is to get a copy of the plice report. who's at fault on that paper? that's what the insurance is going to look at. whether or not you have the car insured and registered is a different matter. if you're listed as being at fault, then you're skrood. If the other guy is at fault, proceed to step #3.

step #3 is to call the other guy's insurance company and file a claim against him hitting your car. they will ask you what happened and if there's a police report, etc etc etc. if the police report shows that he was at fault, then they have to pay-- even if it DOES show that you got a ticket for not doign your paperwork. that's not their call, it's a legal paperwork issue, not a moving violation that caused him to smack his car into you.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:42 PM

thanks guys appreciate all the help hope all this goes through.