3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Dim climate control display

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:24 PM

Dim climate control display

I am proud to announce that I have recently successfully gone through the process of fixing my intermitently dim / completely dead clock in my 1990 Maxima. Having limited experience in fixing things, this was quite an achievement.

But now my electronic climate control display seems to be suffering the same problem that my clock had. Sometimes the display works fine. More often, it's very dim, especially on the far right side. And sometimes the display doesn't work at all.

I ripped it apart, resoldered a few connections and cleaned a little bit, but it didn't help. I've been unable to find any info on this problem. Has anyone else fixed this problem without replacing the whole unit?

-Rich
(Wanna-be Car Guy)
Old 12-02-2003, 10:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Drop a line to these guys www.mrwhizard.com. This is all they do.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:36 AM

Keep on looking for the solder joints that need to be touched up. I fixed my control the same way as the clock. Probe with a tooth pick to find out where it is.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:38 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I have a climate controll that I got just because some of my buttons were worn. If you would like I will sell it to you (minus the buttons and lever on the side...you can transfer that from yours).

I would take $35 shipped if you want it. I will need to test it first but last time it was in the car it was fine.

Let me know.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tmuscedere
Keep on looking for the solder joints that need to be touched up. I fixed my control the same way as the clock. Probe with a tooth pick to find out where it is.
What am I looking to find with the toothpick? a connection that's loose? I only did a visual inspection last time I cleaned it up, and the connections looked pretty clean. In my clock, on the other hand, it was pretty obvious what the problem was - one capacitor was very corroded, and two other solder points were corroded.

Here's another question... When I resoldered on the climate control, I really just heated up the solder points to melt the solder, and moved the pin slightly. I didn't remove the old solder, nor did I add new solder... Is this enough?

Rich
Old 12-02-2003, 01:36 PM

i thought the manual and the atc were not interchangeable, but i have the same problem too, soo im gonna rip it out tonight. try to fix it.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by harrymay
i thought the manual and the atc were not interchangeable, but i have the same problem too, soo im gonna rip it out tonight. try to fix it.

who was this to? I may have not been clear in my post but the climate controll I was talking about selling is an ATC (auto climate controll)
Old 12-02-2003, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by rhecker
What am I looking to find with the toothpick? a connection that's loose? I only did a visual inspection last time I cleaned it up, and the connections looked pretty clean. In my clock, on the other hand, it was pretty obvious what the problem was - one capacitor was very corroded, and two other solder points were corroded.

Here's another question... When I resoldered on the climate control, I really just heated up the solder points to melt the solder, and moved the pin slightly. I didn't remove the old solder, nor did I add new solder... Is this enough?

Rich
hey rich,

you should definately remove the old solder. if you've melted it and moved the connection of the lcd screen, the old solder could cause a weak connection due to dirt or the old solder might be touching two circuits.

if you haven't done so already...sign up on
www.torontomaxima.com for some local support and possibly another climate control unit for sale.

later

ryan
Old 12-02-2003, 05:45 PM

ok my bad awsm66, i misred ur post, sorry.

good news though, poked around on my atc, found a couple of shorts, and fixed it. no my atc is bright with the lights on and with them off. ipulled my clock and found that my weak soldering on the 100mf cap was terrible, so i took it off and was gonna resolder it, but i must have dropped the cap somewhere. so whenever radioshak opens im there. and i also thing my connector to the harness might have a problem too
Old 12-03-2003, 06:32 AM

The way I did it was took the unit apart and plugged it back into the car. Then I started probing the unit with a toothpick to find the solder joint that was loose (my display went bright again). I didn't add more solder just touched what was there again and it worked.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:56 AM

The way I did it was took the unit apart and plugged it back into the car. Then I started probing the unit with a toothpick to find the solder joint that was loose (my display went bright again). I didn't add more solder just touched what was there again and it worked.
that's damn clever man!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:02 AM

Let me know, in Toronto next week.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:06 AM
STFU n00b!

Originally Posted by -shock211-
that's damn clever man!!!

Unfortunately, that's also not going to last long. it's an easy way to find the problem (which in fact is what most electronic repair shops do, except they usually hook an oscilloscope probe up to it instead of poking it with a toothpick)... but you really need to remove the old solder and reflow new solder into the joint. it'll last another 10 years that way instead of another 10 weeks.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:13 AM

I guess I just had some good luck, been fixed now for over 2 years.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:40 AM

Let me know, in Toronto next week.
???????????
Old 12-03-2003, 01:42 PM

i poked around and strightenend up a few components and worked whenever i plugged it in, but when i drive for while with it on, it goes back to dim or no display at all.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 PM
mod or sell?

Because of thermal expansion would be my guess
Old 12-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

When it goes dim, just hit it w/the palm of your hand, it'll get bright again. Works for me now until I can get the time/expertise/patience to do it myself, or the cash/time to send it out to someone else...
Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 PM

How ironic that this topic is up again... I have the exact same problem (dim ATC)... and I have spent countless hours trying to fix it - and am still trying as I post this; I've removed/replaced/resolderd as many compontents as I could and still no luck if your're like me, then you might just be SOL.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:17 PM

This must be a common problem cuase I have the same problem with mine also. I've tried "tapping" the console, but i have to give it a few luv taps before it brightens up again.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by jiking
This must be a common problem cuase I have the same problem with mine also. I've tried "tapping" the console, but i have to give it a few luv taps before it brightens up again.
Yeah, mine is at that stage after countless of hours resoldering - I strongly suspect that it is the actual piece of plastic connection on the board that connects to the wiring harness that needs to be resoldered; I'd rather just stick to the luv taps though - as that would take up a lot of damn time!
Old 12-04-2003, 09:50 AM

is there any particular component that can cause the dimming? kinda like the caps in the clock that need replaceing. or is it just the actual display itself?
Old 12-04-2003, 08:03 PM

is there any particular component that can cause the dimming? kinda like the caps in the clock that need replaceing. or is it just the actual display itself?
Well that's the problem - I think it must be a connection, because I replaced 3 caps on the board with no luck. It's got to be like a hairline crack cause whenever I hit a big bump the display brightens up (same thing happens with a good smack). In addition I resoldered the connections on the display too.
Old 12-05-2003, 06:33 AM

Guys I will be up in Toronto next week, if anyone wants to get together and have a try at fixing these things let me know.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:20 AM

Still resoldering

Well, I'm continuing to resolder my Climate Control System...Every day I resolder a bunch of connections, and every day it seems I haven't gotten anywhere. What I have noticed is this: When the display is dim, if I put downward pressure on the PC Board with the connectors (i.e., not the board with the display on it), then it suddenly brightens up. I can't get any reliable results from toothpick probing. I've completely resoldered the connectors, and many of the capacitors and transistors, so that's not the problem.I'm thinking of resoldering that big chip next...

I've also developed a new problem. Sometimes the display goes completely out if the headlights are turned on AND there is a working bulb plugged in to the climate control to light up the buttons (all mine had previously blown out). Ironically, I've noticed putting upward pressure on that board fixes it. I was going to shove a wedge-shaped piece of cork in there to put pressure on the board, but one problem seems to need upward pressure, and the other problem needs downward pressure!

-Rich
Continuing the resolding. More updates to come...
Old 12-05-2003, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by rhecker
Well, I'm continuing to resolder my Climate Control System...Every day I resolder a bunch of connections, and every day it seems I haven't gotten anywhere. What I have noticed is this: When the display is dim, if I put downward pressure on the PC Board with the connectors (i.e., not the board with the display on it), then it suddenly brightens up. I can't get any reliable results from toothpick probing. I've completely resoldered the connectors, and many of the capacitors and transistors, so that's not the problem.I'm thinking of resoldering that big chip next...

I've also developed a new problem. Sometimes the display goes completely out if the headlights are turned on AND there is a working bulb plugged in to the climate control to light up the buttons (all mine had previously blown out). Ironically, I've noticed putting upward pressure on that board fixes it. I was going to shove a wedge-shaped piece of cork in there to put pressure on the board, but one problem seems to need upward pressure, and the other problem needs downward pressure!

-Rich
Continuing the resolding. More updates to come...
Ok seems to me like your board is developing more problems than mine did... however I've neglected to mention one thing that my mechanic did when he tried to fix it - you know that white "IDE" style cable that connects the two boards together? Well he says that some of the wires were not properly touching the copper contacts - so he desoldered that wire (and tossed it out) and then resoldered like 10-12 individual wires (or however many there are) in place of the white one. That solved the problem for about 2-3 days... so then (as seen in another post) I just wedged a popsicle stick in between the plastic and the board in order to have a permanent flex - again that only worked for a few days until in dimmed again. I strongly suspect that it is that wiring harness on the board - or perhaps one of those micro chips, as some of those contacts ran underneath the chip, and I could not get to them. Keep us posted.

Oh, and BTW thanks for the offer tmuscedere , but I'm just going to leave it as it for now. I accidentally broke the lighter's light bulb holder when removing the plastic cover - so I figured the CC has done enough damage for now.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:54 PM

I fixed it!

Well, I managed to fix my dim/malfunctioning Auto Climate Control on about the 5th attempt. It's been nice and bright for a day and a half now, and I think it's all good.

The last modifications I made were both on the board with the connectors (not the board with the display). I did the following:
-Resoldered all of the surface mount resistors (I think they're resistors) on the bottom of that board.
-Resoldered two things that I don't have a name for. They're right behind the big connectors, and they both have seven pins in a row.

As for my button lighting problem, I managed to find a trace that was no longer conducting, and I soldered in a little jumper wire. I believe I caused this problem in the process of trying to fix the display.

Hopefully those of you still battling this problem can try the same resoldering I did and let us know if that fixes it for you, as well.

-Rich
Old 12-12-2003, 09:51 PM

i have an update, i think it might be why the whole thing goes dim in most cases.

So i take it all out and take a look, didnt find anything, just poked around. put it back in, it started just fine, nice and bright. then i turn the lights on, and it didnt go dim like it should, its not a problem coz my hu is pretty bright too and im used to it whenever i drive at nite. its been like this for about three days, and its been turned on and off. lets just hope it stays like this
Old 12-13-2003, 02:44 PM

i have an update, i think it might be why the whole thing goes dim in most cases.

So i take it all out and take a look, didnt find anything, just poked around. put it back in, it started just fine, nice and bright. then i turn the lights on, and it didnt go dim like it should, its not a problem coz my hu is pretty bright too and im used to it whenever i drive at nite. its been like this for about three days, and its been turned on and off. lets just hope it stays like this
yeah, see its got a life of its own...

BTW what was exactly did you do, besides taking it out, for it to go bright?
Old 12-13-2003, 04:24 PM

i pretty much poked around, i might have shorted something out maybe, i poke the connector especially the ide kind that connects the two boards and the harness thingy. i just drove to h-town and back to meet up with some nio dudes, and it was bright the whole way.
Old 12-16-2003, 07:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i pretty much poked around, i might have shorted something out maybe, i poke the connector especially the ide kind that connects the two boards and the harness thingy. i just drove to h-town and back to meet up with some nio dudes, and it was bright the whole way.
I was having the same problems with the digital display on my 3d gen.
As soon as the temperature dropped to 20 degrees and below it has been
bright and consistant as when it was new. Any answers to temperature having
a positive effect on the digital display?
Old 12-16-2003, 08:46 AM

well so much for that plan. the weather has stayed the same, but today i had to do something for my mom and now my display has gone dim again.
Old 12-16-2003, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by eyemann
I was having the same problems with the digital display on my 3d gen.
As soon as the temperature dropped to 20 degrees and below it has been
bright and consistant as when it was new. Any answers to temperature having
a positive effect on the digital display?
yeah, in cold weather mine seems to stay bright longer too... maybe cuase comething is contracting on the board and making the necessary contact.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:00 PM

Well, I thought I'd better correct my last message. I got my display to work for about 3 days, then it died again. I resoldered that IDE-type ribbon cable connecting the two boards - nothing. I'm giving up.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:52 PM
mod or sell?

Never give up!
Never!
Just keep working at it, eventually you'll have replaced and resoldered every component and it will work perfectly
Old 12-22-2003, 09:22 PM

no... way... sorry rhecker, you fall in the same category as me - just give up otherwise, you'll become obsessed with it and it will become an addiction, until you start working on it day and night and your hair begins to turn gray! STOP NOW WHILE YOU STILL HAVE YOUR HEALTH... j/k yeah keep trying until your satisfied that you've tried everything possible... that's what I did, now I just hit mine to get it bright again.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:58 PM

i wish mine would work when i hit it. is there any kind of special manuevers for the actually hitting, any input would be greatly appreciated. perhaps i just do not have the skill required for this special manuever.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:31 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I dont understand you guys. You would rather spend countless hours working on this than buy mine for $35 shipped (yeah a little more to Canada). I know mine works and I will even touch up the solder before I send it.

But if you want to continue working with it then here is a tip...

Use silver bearing solder. I was working on some ford radios for a friend and could not for the life of me get that stupid display to work until I finally got some silver bearing solder. It worked like a charm after that. I have found that works better than regular lead/tin solder.

Just my .02. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I dont understand you guys. You would rather spend countless hours working on this than buy mine for $35 shipped (yeah a little more to Canada). I know mine works and I will even touch up the solder before I send it.

But if you want to continue working with it then here is a tip...

Use silver bearing solder. I was working on some ford radios for a friend and could not for the life of me get that stupid display to work until I finally got some silver bearing solder. It worked like a charm after that. I have found that works better than regular lead/tin solder.

Just my .02. Good luck.
Thanks for the tip... and the selling info... I might take you up on that offer.

harrymay: the technique is simple yet slightly complicated, and will only be mastered after several months of practice... using the palm of your hand hit just above the actual display, on the center console frame... if it does not work at first, try repeated attempts; if it does not then work, you may also want to attempt swearing while hitting the display - at which point it will more than likely work.