3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new problem...arghhhh

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 08:03 PM

new problem...arghhhh

I was gonna replace my headlight bulbs to something brighter and, I noticed that the harness and the base of the bulb on the right side have this "sap" like substance (it's a light brown color and is very sticky) on them. It's mainly in the bulb's prongs and covers some of the harness. So I take out the bulb and put in a new one and I get nothing.. Then I put the stock one back in and my light works. what gives?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is it possible to clean the crap off or do I need to get a new harness???

thanks for the help
Old 12-02-2003, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by BensMax93
I was gonna replace my headlight bulbs to something brighter and, I noticed that the harness and the base of the bulb on the right side have this "sap" like substance (it's a light brown color and is very sticky) on them. It's mainly in the bulb's prongs and covers some of the harness. So I take out the bulb and put in a new one and I get nothing.. Then I put the stock one back in and my light works. what gives?

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and if so is it possible to clean the crap off or do I need to get a new harness???

thanks for the help
ha-ha!!! this substance is protecting your connector from rust
it used to be somewhat white long time ago
Old 12-02-2003, 08:07 PM
mod or sell?

Sounds like old dielectric grease.
Clean it out and try again
Old 12-02-2003, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Sounds like old dielectric grease.
Clean it out and try again
It is called white grease. And there is no need to clean it out (and not that easy) but if you do - replace with "new" grease.

PS: bulb might be not working - did you try the other one (they come in pairs, right?)