3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold start problem, mechanic said it's starter motor...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:21 AM
tkl

Cold start problem, mechanic said it's starter motor...

Hi there, i have a 94 se and i'm from Ontario Canada. The weather is around freezing mark these days, my car would start on the frist try. Everytime i turn the ingition to on, it sound like some motor is turning very fast and it stop, then the car will start usuallly on the second turn on the ignition. This only happend on the cold days, it didn't have any problem in the summer.

So my questions are;

Is this a sign of a bad startor motor as the mechanic claimed?

Is this a job i can do myselve? The mechanic wants $170 CDN including labour.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2003, 07:20 AM
mod or sell?

Could be.
Yes you can do it yourself, but don't on saving more than $50 or so
Old 12-05-2003, 08:07 AM
STFU n00b!

It sounds liek the problem is your bendix (the part of the starter that makes the starter gear engage on the flywheel when you hit the switch). it may just be building up gunk in there and need to be cleaned- but it could also be wearing out...

Changing the starter on a VE is EEEEASY. like a 10 minute job.
disconnect the battery, then pull the wire(s) off the back of the starter. then two bolts that hold the starter to the tranny.
can't be much easier than that!
Old 12-05-2003, 08:24 AM
mod or sell?

Not like the cadillac northstar?
Where you pull the intake
Old 12-05-2003, 09:46 AM

On the really cold days here I noticed that after the car has not been started for a while the starter motor sounds weaker than usual, turning the motor over slower than usual. Is that normal?
Old 12-05-2003, 09:50 AM
STFU n00b!

that's probably because your battery is having a hard time keeping up.

often, it's because the battery is cold and the chemical reactions inside (that produce the electrical energy) go slower.. so less cranking amps.. (that's why batteries have ratings for cranking amps and COLD cranking amps)..

I've heard that if you give the battery a load before you start it.. like turn on your headlights for 15-20 seconds before starting, that it will kinda get the battery juices flowing and it will start easier.
don't know how true that is because I've never had a battery that wasn't a monster on starting current, so I could never tell a difference.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by jaguax
On the really cold days here I noticed that after the car has not been started for a while the starter motor sounds weaker than usual, turning the motor over slower than usual. Is that normal?
you can improve it by changing all-season oil to a winter one
Old 12-05-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
that's probably because your battery is having a hard time keeping up.

often, it's because the battery is cold and the chemical reactions inside (that produce the electrical energy) go slower.. so less cranking amps.. (that's why batteries have ratings for cranking amps and COLD cranking amps)..

I've heard that if you give the battery a load before you start it.. like turn on your headlights for 15-20 seconds before starting, that it will kinda get the battery juices flowing and it will start easier.
don't know how true that is because I've never had a battery that wasn't a monster on starting current, so I could never tell a difference.
I believe there are battery heat-ups available also - I saw one in canadian tire not so long ago (connect to 110v - same as your winter plus if you got one)
Old 12-05-2003, 10:41 AM

you could also have a battery that is going bad, you should load test it to see if it needs to be replaced or not. Batteries tend to die when it is cold outside, if it is more than 5 years old chances are that it is dieing.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cneary812
you could also have a battery that is going bad, you should load test it to see if it needs to be replaced or not. Batteries tend to die when it is cold outside, if it is more than 5 years old chances are that it is dieing.
I have a question. My Max is having the exact same problem as the person who originally posted this thread. I turn the key and I hear the starter turning and then by the 2nd or third crank, the car starts. This only happens in cold weather, never in the summer. So it's leading me to believe that it's the battery, not providing enough juice to crank the starter. So here it Friday night, and I'm debating whether to go to Sears and have a battery put in, they are open to like 11pm because of Christmas. Batterys are cheap and probably wouldn't be a bad idea for piece of mind with cold weather here in all. I had the battery that's in the car now put in by Sears in 6/2000. Can someone givea thought or two on what I should do tonight? The cold starts with the battery seem quite obvious to me rather than being the starter. And also, Sears charges $13. to do a battery test! Help please!!!

Thanks boys and Happy Holidays!!
Old 12-05-2003, 06:50 PM
Maxima Withdrawl is real

got to an auto store, the one around my house will do battery checks for free. autozone, advance, etc
Old 12-06-2003, 09:28 AM

Hey tkl,
I've got the same problem as well and I'm from Ontario too (London)! I thought it was the weather too but I think it's just our bad luck that it happened in the beginning of winter. I've got to push start my car all the time. I'm getting mine rebulit for $120CDN with a 1 year warranty. PM me if you need more info. I'm taking mine to get rebuilt within the next week.
Old 12-06-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by canmax
Hey tkl,
I've got the same problem as well and I'm from Ontario too (London)! I thought it was the weather too but I think it's just our bad luck that it happened in the beginning of winter. I've got to push start my car all the time. I'm getting mine rebulit for $120CDN with a 1 year warranty. PM me if you need more info. I'm taking mine to get rebuilt within the next week.
I can't say that I started my maxima fine in last few days - but that is mostly because of a cold weather (battery looses about 45% of its capacity).

Anyway ... you can buy a rebuilt one off ebay for US$65 tops (taking in mind a low exchange rate of 1.33) ... Why to overpay?
Old 12-06-2003, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
I can't say that I started my maxima fine in last few days - but that is mostly because of a cold weather (battery looses about 45% of its capacity).

Anyway ... you can buy a rebuilt one off ebay for US$65 tops (taking in mind a low exchange rate of 1.33) ... Why to overpay?
Hey boys, if this hard starting problem is happening only in cold weather, if we are all getting the starter spinning and it finally catching on the second or third try, wouldn't it justify the problem being the battery? My car ONLY does this in cold weather not in the summer at all. My battery is only 3.5 years old but it is most likely the battery, not the starter. Right?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JEFF93SE
Hey boys, if this hard starting problem is happening only in cold weather, if we are all getting the starter spinning and it finally catching on the second or third try, wouldn't it justify the problem being the battery? My car ONLY does this in cold weather not in the summer at all. My battery is only 3.5 years old but it is most likely the battery, not the starter. Right?

yes I would say battery first then alternator and starter. If your alternator goes bad it will most likely take your battery out with it, unless you have a deep cycle battery. But most of the time it is the battery going bad in the cold weather.
Old 12-06-2003, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by cneary812
yes I would say battery first then alternator and starter. If your alternator goes bad it will most likely take your battery out with it, unless you have a deep cycle battery. But most of the time it is the battery going bad in the cold weather.
I think I'll be buying a new battery next week - Optima (red or yellow).
Red Optima cost about CAD$150 but worth every penny

PS: my truck was sitting outside 2 winters ago for 2 month and I WAS ABLE to start @ -20C ... - only thanks to "Optima"
Old 12-07-2003, 02:27 PM

if it gets bitterly cold, try getting a battery maintainer charger..most of them are either bolted/screwed onto the car and are low output (1-2 amps) and run $20-50 US..I have one on mine for the peace of mind knowing my battery WILL start my car in the morning even if its -30F..I bought a disposable camera the other day, and I'm going to take pics of a lot of stuff to stick on my cardomain page, so I'll take one of it to, although it may be almost a month before I get it posted..This battery was put in the car 5/2001 out of my toyota pickup, and it was in it for 3 years before going into the max..its a 690 CA/550 CCA Interstate...for awhile on the REALLY cold days it acted like it had no CA at all, just went "rer, rer, tick tick tick tick" when trying to start..I plug the charger in when its supposed to get really cold and it starts up first turn no matter how cold it is now..Wal-mart used to carry these maintainers, but I'm not sure they do anymore..

P.S.- I'd like to find a 600 CCA battery with a LOT higher reserve capacity..If I listen to my stereo with a 40 amp peak draw amp and the H/U when the car is turned off, it'll go dead in about an hour..anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-07-2003, 02:33 PM
mod or sell?

Trunk mount a 65 series battery.
They have the highest reseve capacity of any battery I've seen
Old 12-08-2003, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
if it gets bitterly cold,
P.S.- I'd like to find a 600 CCA battery with a LOT higher reserve capacity..If I listen to my stereo with a 40 amp peak draw amp and the H/U when the car is turned off, it'll go dead in about an hour..anyone have any suggestions?

Also if you live in a very cold climate you may want to consider some type of engine block heater that you can plug into an outlet in your house.

also Diehard/interstate batteries are very good batteries. Optima are also good, you could put the Optima in the trunk since it is sealed.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:38 PM

OK ... I stopped by the Canadian Tire today and bought this battery warmer (one with a 110v plug). I paid CAD$23 (US$17.50). If anybody wants it - let me know, if not - I'll return it back on Friday.
It should fit in a large envelope if I take it out of a box, so shipping charge should be within CAD$7-10 (US$5.39-7.70).

PS: just for a record - I'm not making any money here ... just trying to help out one of you, guys
Old 12-08-2003, 05:01 PM

OK ... I stopped by the Canadian Tire today and bought this battery warmer (one with a 110v plug). I paid CAD$23 (US$17.50). If anybody wants it - let me know, if not - I'll return it back on Friday.
It should fit in a large envelope if I take it out of a box, so shipping charge should be within CAD$7-10 (US$5.39-7.70).

PS: just for a record - I'm not making any money here ... just trying to help out one of you, guys
Hi guys, I went to Autozone and got a battery test and my battery is fine. So it must be the starter. But only in cold weather?? I had did not have this problem even once during the summer........... Same problem last winter too. Go to crank and it sounds like the starter spinning and it eventually catches on second or third try. Must be the starter. $300. shipped from Courtesy.
Old 12-08-2003, 05:49 PM

Hi guys, I went to Autozone and got a battery test and my battery is fine. So it must be the starter. But only in cold weather?? I had did not have this problem even once during the summer........... Same problem last winter too. Go to crank and it sounds like the starter spinning and it eventually catches on second or third try. Must be the starter. $300. shipped from Courtesy.
If you've read other posting here - battery is a problem in cold weather (cold battery). When you start consuming power - it warms up and becomes useable again. But when it is attempted to start an engine right away - cold cranking capacity is just not enough for a starter.
I guess your battery was tested when it was already warm, wasn't it?

I'll be replacing my battery with an Optima [cold-cranking amps (CCA): 800]. If you want to keep your current battery - I have suggested to use a battery warmer.
Old 12-08-2003, 06:20 PM

If you've read other posting here - battery is a problem in cold weather (cold battery). When you start consuming power - it warms up and becomes useable again. But when it is attempted to start an engine right away - cold cranking capacity is just not enough for a starter.
I guess your battery was tested when it was already warm, wasn't it?

I'll be replacing my battery with an Optima [cold-cranking amps (CCA): 800]. If you want to keep your current battery - I have suggested to use a battery warmer.
Yes my battery was already warm. I will look into getting a battery warmer. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.
Jeff
Old 12-08-2003, 06:32 PM
mod or sell?

Cold weather will cause the starter to draw more amps.
and most battery tests on check up to about 100-120 amps
Whereas an old starter in cold weather can pull 200+ amps
BTW $300 for a starter
Try one of mine instead about 1/2 that and brand new to boot!
Old 12-09-2003, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Cold weather will cause the starter to draw more amps.
and most battery tests on check up to about 100-120 amps
Whereas an old starter in cold weather can pull 200+ amps
BTW $300 for a starter
Try one of mine instead about 1/2 that and brand new to boot!

not to mention, cold weather is hard on your whole car, more stress on the whole car, oil is thicker, battery is weaker, parts freeze up a bit, so... you will experience more problems when it is cold than when it is hot. Also car uses more fuel and runs better because of cold air.