3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Disappointing Forum - Not what it used to be

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001 | 11:35 AM
patrickmolly

It used to be that this site was great in solving mechanical problems and exchanging useful information. Now its no more than a "show me your mods and Ill show you mine " forum, exchanging pics on tricked out your maxs. Thats not bad in itself, but just disappointing to those of us who have bigger worries than the color of our fog lights and who used to visit this forum long ago. Take a look at the replies for questions regarding mods and those with real problems. Seee what i mean?

Just disappointed
Old 02-26-2001 | 11:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

well i would have to agree with you on this one. it's been a steady downward flow. i don't even want to post to help someone anymore. either someone will come on and disagree or make a big fuss about it...or ask 1000 follow up questions and it turns out that it's over their head. i just keep things to myself. there's no other way to do it. i'll let Matt93gxe take over more of the Q&A. sometimes i have time to deal with it..but most of the time i don't even bother. between the server problems and the lengthy load time i just give up on this BBS. there are other BBS out there that retains some of the integrity with what you mentioned. it's up to u to find it.

Originally posted by patrickmolly
It used to be that this site was great in solving mechanical problems and exchanging useful information. Now its no more than a "show me your mods and Ill show you mine " forum, exchanging pics on tricked out your maxs. Thats not bad in itself, but just disappointing to those of us who have bigger worries than the color of our fog lights and who used to visit this forum long ago. Take a look at the replies for questions regarding mods and those with real problems. Seee what i mean?

Just disappointed
Old 02-26-2001 | 02:17 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

well just to be different im going to say that mabye if the majority wanted it that way it would stay that way.....im guessing this site has just evolved to peoples own interests and tastes and seems to not be loosing popularity very fast..change is good and mabye this forum should be like this and not how it was????
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:03 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

i remember when i first came here i was like the 500th member, now we're close to 4,000! thats what happens when you get that many members, it basically turns into a honda forum. the reason for the lack of good discussion is due to lack of good topics. the new guys always have the same questions and we should do our best to help them out, but those questions dominate the board. seems nobody wants to really build up the max, and that makes for the mediocore forum. when good topics come up, which none have, then you'll see the board the way it used to be. when the majority of the members are newbies, the only kind of discussion there will be is cosmetics and stuff like that. and thats just due to the membership of the site and the growth that has occured.
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:27 PM
ckcie

I'm just a newbie myself but I have to say that I wish there were more tech. threads. Most of that's just personal preference but you can just see how cluttered this forum is getting simply because of it popularity. Because of that, coming here to find good tech threads becomes even harder to find due to the other less needed threads.

I think it's pretty obvious at the top of the page but I was wondering if it were possible to further dummie proof the thread posting.
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:29 PM
Pusssseeeehhhh

mabye an all "technical" forum............?
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:55 PM

hmm.. i agree and dissagree. i think ive been on here a while, since october last year, and i think although there is a lot of talk about mods, thats what a lot of poeple on this forum want to get more info about, and other like seeing the time and efforet people have put into their cars that they modify. I know i do. And when the technical questions get asked, i always see a response on here too tryin to help out, and maybe the reason theres not 50 replys is becuase you dont need 50 people replying the same info to aswer the question, one reply is good enough. But i think it is sad if you know the info and dont want to share if someone has a technical question and especially if it hasnt been answered. Who said what this forum is suposed to be about? Its for 3rd gen maxes, whether that includes technical question, talks about mods, or pics of mods and lots of oogling. I think it is a place to share all of this, and i enjoy it a lot. Thats just my opinion.
Old 02-26-2001 | 03:59 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Hmmmm...........

I agree to a point that some questions get "OVER-ASKED" since some don't choose to use the search feature, but I jsut take it in stride and if its a short answer type question I'll throw in the info I know, but if its a lengthy type in-depth answer, I'll most likely steer clear knowing the same answer is lurking some where in the archives. as for the lack of "mechanical/tech" posts, I'm not sure how it was before 8/00(when I joined), but just like DanNY said, there are different Maixma boards other than Max.org with different types of members and depending on which one you go to the discussions will differ. as for the "tricked out Maxima" and "show you mine" thats what comes with a Maxima board or any car board at that and personally I love to see what other guys have done to their cars! I've been on other forums, but haven't been on Max.org as long as some, though I don't see it as being that bad in the first place....... (that is until some retard comes on here and makes ridiculous HP claims!!!......that the only real sh*t that gets me heated!! )

Originally posted by patrickmolly

Just disappointed
Old 02-26-2001 | 04:19 PM

ignorance...
Old 02-26-2001 | 06:53 PM

Like Dan said, its out there, an elite bbs with all the top, senior Maxima.org members, LOL. They have all been sworn to secrecy and its up to you to find it.

Old 02-26-2001 | 07:46 PM

Amen

I am a "newbie" and I think that an all tech forum would be a good idea. I asked a question about installing some Autometer gages and hardly got a response. I think the one I got was on clubmaxima.com. I agree that there does seem to be an over-abundance of cosmetic stuff on here. You can see by the list of mods on my car that I don't much care about neon and hyper-whites. If I can't figure out light bulbs myself, then heaven help me!
I have gotten some good info from several of you on other things that I asked. I, in turn, gave a fella almost step by step instructions on how to instal his Stillen intake. I thing this is a basically great place for help and to pass along what you know. There may just be a better way to divide the hard-core performance, handling and maintenance subjects from the ones that are more asthetic in nature. Just sounds like growing pains.
Old 02-26-2001 | 09:12 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

One of the reasons why I try to push the search option more....

it would save a lot of room for posts that HAVEN'T been answered yet and save a lot of the "around the way guys" from suffering thorugh the same old questions 100's of times.........

Old 02-26-2001 | 09:36 PM
STFU n00b!

Originally posted by NYC GXE
Like Dan said, its out there, an elite bbs with all the top, senior Maxima.org members, LOL. They have all been sworn to secrecy and its up to you to find it.
LOL!! yeah, it's out there.. we ARE sworn to secrecy about it..
And the funny thing.. it's more off-topic than this board is.. BUT.. when someone asks a REAL tech question, we have answers and real discussion.. not "Just paint it yellow and add a big wing. that'll be better"
Old 02-26-2001 | 09:50 PM

oh wow, now you guys are making me feel all special cause im so cool that im part of that club too! the max secret society! of cousre any idiot that finds links could locate it..oops did i say too much? my bad
Old 02-26-2001 | 09:58 PM

Actually ours isnt the one I'm talking about.

I think Dan was referring to the other one that has really, really been top secret. I dont even post on that one, just read it often. Most of the previous regulars here have all moved on to there.
Old 02-27-2001 | 06:01 PM
living out of a maxima...

Relpy from Newbie (sort of)

I've been on this board since September of 00, but I'd still consider myself a newbie. I don't know that much about cars in general, let alone Maximas. But I read just about every post out there so I can learn, and I reply only when I know something about the topic being discussed. I dealt with the Bose crap before finding this place, so I try to help anyone I can who's going through the same stuff. I always do a search before posting a question and I am truly grateful for the many helpful responses I have received from people who know what they're talking about.

I do think that there's way too much bull$hit being thrown back and forth: 'your car is ricey' or 'you're an idiot' or 'you're lying about HP'. Some of it is downright juvenille. If someone's acting like an idiot, just laugh to yourself becuase they are and you're not. And all the level-headed people will see this behavior, and they'll be laughing to themselves also, so there's no need to encourage it by adding to the fire.

Its very discouraging to hear that some of the most consistently helpful members are abandoning ship. If this trend continues, I guess I will have to start looking for the 'other' board.