3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Seeking FeedBack: BMW Lights for $449

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Seeking FeedBack: BMW Lights for $449

with DDE Lightning Plus - the stuff that people are getting excited about on the Maxima 2002-2003.

Here are some pics:
Take this:

And add this:

To make this:
Old 12-06-2003, 08:38 PM
Former Sponsor

Pricing is dependent on the product type as well, we're just curious, not a product, it's not on the site for this car, but would simply like to know.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

$449 is way too much. From what I have read, people in this forum would rather pick up some $160 BMW lights and figure out how to get them into their car. Then buy a DDE kit to make and install themselves. Saves them money in the long run.

However, toss some HIDs in your kit and not affect the price too much, I think people will go for it.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by davebond007
$449 is way too much. From what I have read, people in this forum would rather pick up some $160 BMW lights and figure out how to get them into their car. Then buy a DDE kit to make and install themselves. Saves them money in the long run.

However, toss some HIDs in your kit and not affect the price too much, I think people will go for it.
w0rd, thats an expensive price for what you get IMO... Even if i owned an E36 M3, i doubt i'd be interested
Old 12-06-2003, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually for $449, you get the following:

Hyper Blue lights (our Vizu that are $25 per pair) and you get 2 sets for 1 year warranty each.
StonGard (headlight protection 18.95 for the pair)
Plug and Play wiring adapter (in your case, you might not need them).

But you're probably right, so, what if you bought these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710

Then bought our DDE Lightning product?
Old 12-06-2003, 08:58 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

So DDE is just the Angel/Demon Eyes?

I was tinkering around with some 1/4" solid glass tubing to make some angle eyes on our Durango. had them set to go but then a rock cracked one of the housings so we just bought those Hella Angel eye lights for $55.

That ebay link seems like a good price, but I'm planning on staying stock.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
So DDE is just the Angel/Demon Eyes?

I was tinkering around with some 1/4" solid glass tubing to make some angle eyes on our Durango. had them set to go but then a rock cracked one of the housings so we just bought those Hella Angel eye lights for $55.

That ebay link seems like a good price, but I'm planning on staying stock.
halos on a Durango? i didnt know Durango's had a clear housing to see em =o
Old 12-06-2003, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shugarhi
halos on a Durango? i didnt know Durango's had a clear housing to see em =o
Sean was referring to the fogs. I do have to say they look cool.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:23 PM

w0rd? my bad
Old 12-06-2003, 09:33 PM

it's spelled Shawn

http://www.digitalbeta.net/durango/eyes.jpg
just incase you guys are interested. My Dad and sister want me to put some on the 5th gen, but I refuse until he gets HID's
Old 12-06-2003, 09:41 PM

does the price include the BMW brackets?

hell i cant wait to do this with HIDs, 9004 halogens suck
Old 12-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Former Sponsor

When you say BMW brackets - what does that mean?

We have HIDs coming as well, but may sell it to another company to sell to you $300 for HID likely price.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:37 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Why would you need the BMW brackets when you really don't use them for our application anyway?

But I guess I'm like the others, in terms of that pricing. My "angel eyes" aren't anywhere NEAR as bright as those in the picture:

But for the right price, I'd be willing to "go euro"!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:13 AM

the factory bmw headlight brackets, yes there are some people whove used them in the 3rd gens
Old 12-07-2003, 01:47 PM

Nupe, find some 8000k White LEDs, atleast 8 of them. that should brighten up those angel eyes.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Actually it's not K that LEDs are measured in.
It's mcd.

You could get 15000mcd LEDs and it's STILL not going to be enough.

Do you have InPro headlights?

We have a product for only $99 that will make your headlights sparkle REALLY bright.

Here's what it would look like:
Old 12-07-2003, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by umnitza
It's mcd.

We have a product for only $99 that will make your headlights sparkle REALLY bright.

Here's what it would look like:
[ img]http://www.umnitza.com/albums/lightning/IMGP1732.jpg[/img]
Damn, I knew that too, I didnt even realize my mistake. Blame Spipedong90. Ever since I've seen his HID's thats all thats been on my mind.
Old 12-07-2003, 06:10 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

humm now that my motors gonna be done i think im gonna invest in a nice set of e36 angel eyes but they would have to be BRIGHT AS HECK..(the angel eye part) and the low beams are gonna be HID. man i cant wait...
Old 12-07-2003, 06:16 PM

IIRC if you can try somehow slightly fog or get the part of the ring that faces forward to refract light they will appear much brighter and have more light than just clear rings. Thats why alot of them use rippled glass or what have you. Try make the back of the rings (the part that faces towards the housing or engine) as clear as possiable as it will keep the light from reflecting off the back and will make the rings look much more distinct. Example would be Nupe's setup vs. umnitza's example.

Just another example like nupe's

They are bright, but they dont reflect off the back of the housings so the rings appear very distinct and crisp.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:06 PM
Former Sponsor

FYI - HID aren't measured in K for output either.

HIDs are measured in Lumens. The higher the K the higher the color the lower the output. This is simply fact.

If you want 7000K because of output, go out and do better research

Additoinally, no OEM level/quality product is ever made beyond 6000K. The only K (color) choices from the big 3 (GE, OSRAM, PHILIPS) are 4100, 4300, 4500, 5400, 5800, 6000K. I may have missed one, but that's about it.

Now, as far as HID, there will be a company that we are aware of that will offer $300 HID that are 4500K. Very good quality as well.

Nupes, if you notice clearly, you can still detect the output of the headlights. On ours, they are so damned bright, there is no way to accurately take a picture.

Here's a case in point:
Old 12-07-2003, 07:16 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

1) overpriced....i paid half that for mine...

2) finally someone that can talk sense on HIDs
Old 12-07-2003, 10:12 PM

dang, I just got a awesome idea! I was tinkering around with an old cold cathode light and my torch and was bending it like glass (well actually it is glass, but anyway). The one I was using is blue, but I'm going to find some white ones and then you and make some really awesome angel eyes for your car, and you dont even have to worry about LED's and such since CCFL's just need an inverter to work on 12v.

(maybe I should make them and sell them like matt )
Old 12-07-2003, 10:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Sure, you can hand bend them, then they will look completely crooked Or, even better still you can do neon tubes even better.

Sigh.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:21 PM

I used a Spagetti O can to keep it even, I practiced with a broken one first, I quickly found if you concentrate too much heat in one spot and aren't careful it will crease, I dont know if that breaks it or not, I'd assume it does.

Besides these are smaller and brighter than neon.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:40 PM
Former Sponsor

that's what I want on my car - hand blown glass wish you luck though.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:45 PM

What kind of light source do you use for your angel eye kits?
Old 12-08-2003, 12:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by davebond007
What kind of light source do you use for your angel eye kits?
sorry not something we divulge.
it took us 4 months to get our factory to produce them exacctly the way we wanted.

Ours are vibration insensitive
6500K and other colors
Pre-wired
Pre-connected
Exact dimensions every time

It wasn't easy putting this product on the market, so we aren't about to let people know what it is specifically
Old 12-08-2003, 07:33 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

It's mcd.

Holy COW!! Those ARE bright! And yeah, you're absolutely right about the mcd's on the LED's, as I originally started out with 8000mcd so-called "hyper white" LEDs (that's what's in my picture...). I just recently 'upgraded' to 12000mcd, but they aren't that much brighter than the 8k mcd's.

I don't have InPro headlights - I got mine from someone here on the .org a couple of years ago who, in turn, got them from an e36 they 'pilfered' in a junkyard. Now, whether the original owner of the car had InPro's is a matter of speculation.

And yeah, I saw that kit on your website. Nice!! If they are as bright as the one's in your example picture, I might just "knuckle under" and invest in a pair.

PM me and we'll talk more, as I DO have some additional questions concerning HID's in relation to the E36 lights that you may be able to address for me.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:43 PM

Heres what my In.Pro's look like that have the angel eyes built in

I dont have the demon eyes with the light boxes but i will upgrade to them as soon as i get the xenons. As for light output i've been looking at the the philips 4300K kit since the light output (lumens) is the greatest of any other temp and they are used on a lot of OEM applications. They have a 6000K Ultinon kit that has a more blue/purple color with almost the same lumen output for those who want xenons for more of a cosmetic upgrade.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:20 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

After seeing yours, FASHIZL, I feel like I'm shortchanging myself on MY angel eyes... Those are VERY impressive!!

Now, do the In.Pro lights have projectors for the low beam lights, or is that just how they look in the pictures? Cuz I know how the lenses inside the headlights make the high beams kinda "appear" to be projector-like, but I was unsure of the makeup of the low beams.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:29 AM
Former Sponsor

Actually, and Fashizl will agree, InPro are simply the worst headlight known to BMW land.

There are countless other headlights out there, Inpro just happens to be the worst.

The angel eyes are no where near that visible except in pitch black.

I have to be perfectly honest here, our angel eyes are actually BRIGHTER than what we can show on pictures. Our camera's cannot compensate.

Nubian, you're also right about this - even if you go to 15000mcd - which we even sell - it's not worth it.

As for the InPro construction, they have little 5W wedge bulbs that illuminate the built in rings in the lenses that are in front of the projectors and reflectors. There are constant imperfections in them like bubbles, waviness, and just plain black specs.

We sell something quite a bit better and still inexpensive. If you want to DIY - you can do it for under $400 easily.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:00 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Actually, and Fashizl will agree, InPro are simply the worst headlight known to BMW land.

There are countless other headlights out there, Inpro just happens to be the worst.

The angel eyes are no where near that visible except in pitch black.

I have to be perfectly honest here, our angel eyes are actually BRIGHTER than what we can show on pictures. Our camera's cannot compensate.

Nubian, you're also right about this - even if you go to 15000mcd - which we even sell - it's not worth it.

As for the InPro construction, they have little 5W wedge bulbs that illuminate the built in rings in the lenses that are in front of the projectors and reflectors. There are constant imperfections in them like bubbles, waviness, and just plain black specs.

We sell something quite a bit better and still inexpensive. If you want to DIY - you can do it for under $400 easily.
The more I'm looking at your product (and yes, I've been surfing your site quite a bit...), the more I'm leaning towards getting at least the DDE Lightning basic kit.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:53 AM

It seems like there is some confusion on what you can do with stock e36 headlights (retrofitted).

I think Umnitza started this thread with the idea of installing DDE (daylight demon eyes) in factory maxima light housings. There is no product for this yet, he is just feeling the market.

I think a handful of you thought he was offering this product as an e36 headlight retrofit, which is a legitimate mod from what I hear. Just so everybody knows, YOU CANNOT INSTALL HID'S OR DEMON EYES INTO FACTORY E36 HEADLIGHTS. well, you can actually make the HID's FIT, but the beam pattern is sloppy.

e36 owners must FIRST upgrade their headlights to projector housings (such as ZKW's or inPro's) before they can install HID or DDE's the "right" way.

now nothing is stopping anybody here from installing aftermarket e36 projectors with DDE and HID (is there still a ban on selling HID's?)

Maybe a good product for Matt (Umnitza) would be to assemble a e36 headlight retrofit kit for the 3rd gen max!

Umnitza is great to do business with... very responsive and timely. I purchased ZKW's and HID's for my M3 from him a few months back and am very pleased.

Now I need to take my old e36 headlights and fit them into my 93 Max! :-)
Old 12-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Honswoggler, thanks for that vote of confidence.

You actually hit it right on the head, we ARE offering a low price point solution WITH E36 Ellipsoids and angels eyes.

There would simply be no way for the stock US E36 lights or the stock Maxima 3rd Gens with the DDE.

The pics actually do lie, they are brighter than that
Old 12-09-2003, 04:15 PM

oh theres a way.. just takes time and effort
Old 12-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Former Sponsor

No, there really isn't any reproduceable way.

Let me tell you why:

The Glue that holds the E36 headlights is the same as the glue that holds any other headlight. The only difference here is:

a) the headlights have been in use far longer - so the glue is much more harndened
b) the plastic that covers the headlights isn't plexi, it's some softer compound (hence why it scuffs more easily) and as such is VERY susceptible to being tweaked when you try to take it apart.

Additionally, why would you want to? Those headlights are awful. My .02.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:27 PM

Actually I'd have to disagree with you. Almost all the European spec headlights are made by the same company (at least the rear part that holds the projector and high beam) and my angel eyes aren't as bright as the DDEs but besides that i have no problems with them. When i purchased my set DDEs where unheard of. My rings have no blemishes in them at all i was pretty surprised at the quiality of the OEM like finish on them.

Umnitza, do you just sell the DDE kit? You are carrying the ones with the light boxes right?
Old 12-09-2003, 11:33 PM
Former Sponsor

We sell lots of different ones.

The current one we sell has no light box.

Don't make me post pics of the InPros that I've seen

And no, they aren't all made by the same company, that's just folklore. InPro are made (supposedly) by Hella, and supposedly ZKWs and Depo are made in the same place contracted by Hella (so I've heard) but Bosch are not made in the same spot.

Anyways, the InPros, even asking Bavarian Autosport, were not the greatest headlight.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:59 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Honswoggler, thanks for that vote of confidence.

You actually hit it right on the head, we ARE offering a low price point solution WITH E36 Ellipsoids and angels eyes.

There would simply be no way for the stock US E36 lights or the stock Maxima 3rd Gens with the DDE.

The pics actually do lie, they are brighter than that
Ok, Matt... let me try to clarify what I'm looking for, and see if what you plan to offer (or are currently offering) is on line with it (keeping in mind, this is MY interpretation of what Hornswoggler said in his post, as well as all the previous posts):
  • I currently have US-spec E36 housings (with 'generic' angel eyes, but no projectors/hid)
  • I cannot use your DDE Lightning basic kit or the InPRO angel eyes upgrade
  • In order to get either OR to upgrade at a later date to HIDs, I'd have to completely replace my housings with ZKW Euro ellipsoids or InPRO housings
  • You hope to be offering the DDE Lightning kit w/ BMW housings at a low price point, which would also feature the ellipsoids

Correct me on any point I'm wrong or misleading myself on, because after all, income tax time is right around the corner...
Old 12-10-2003, 06:25 AM

nub, that sounds right to me.

I am just surprised you have angel eyes/halos on US-spec e36 housings... I can't envision where they connect to, and how well (or not well) they will shine through the plastic, possibly yellowed or pitted US-spec housing.

It also looks a lot cleaner with the glass housing of the projectors. US-spec = plastic where most ellipsoids feature a glass front cover.

Quick Reply: Seeking FeedBack: BMW Lights for $449