3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Seeking FeedBack: BMW Lights for $449

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
nub, that sounds right to me.

I am just surprised you have angel eyes/halos on US-spec e36 housings... I can't envision where they connect to, and how well (or not well) they will shine through the plastic, possibly yellowed or pitted US-spec housing.

It also looks a lot cleaner with the glass housing of the projectors. US-spec = plastic where most ellipsoids feature a glass front cover.

Here is one thing some of you BMW guys or even the Maxima guys arent realizing on some of us that has done the BMW conversion.

Me, Brandon, Craig (not sure if he responded here but am not going to go through all the posts) and possibly a few others cut our factory BMW plastic lens off of our lights. We replaced them with clear Maxima headlight covers so that the curve of the light matches the body of the car.

If you want to see examples of this then look on my page for the pics. Now unforutnately I have not perfected this because of lack of time but will eventually seal it completely with fiberglass or something else but still make the lens removable in case it cracks or yellows. I am also waiting because I want to get projectors eventually and dont want to seal the lens of my US specs only to have to re do it on the projectors.

Now before you say "well a plastic headlight cover isnt going to be good enough". First of all my car isnt a daily driver so I will never have a problem BUT Craigs and all of the others that have done this are daily drivers and last I talked to them they have had no problems either.

Just wanted you guys to understand how we can put halos in the US sped lights and not worry about the factory lens.

Now I am not sure if nupe has the covers like me but if not he can explain how he put the halos in.

I have wanted DDEs for a while and one day I will get some euro lights with the DDEs but I dont see that coming any time soon .
Old 12-10-2003, 11:13 AM

What I would REALLY be interested in (as a Maxima owner) would be a direct-fit (OEM quality fit, no hacking) replacement for the factory headlights. I don't need halo/angel/demon eyes, just brighter headlights. I would not want to spend over $200 either.

I don't know if my stock headlights are just old or what, but the light output is dismal. Now that it is getting dark earlier in the day, and I have an hour commute in my Max, I would atleast like to see whats 25 feet ahead of me (such as deer, tires, or roadkill). I might be a little spoiled by the HID's and projectors in my M3, and now I want something decent in my Max.

With that said, i'll probably brave the retrofit this weekend

but if you are looking for lighting product ideas Matt, I think the market could use some factory-like fit for the maximas. Maybe just a slightly modified e36 with pre-fabricated brackets, PnP connectors, and good documentation.

Just an idea.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 PM

yeah, if new e36 US-spec headlights can be had for $108 per pair, connectors > $20, any fabricated brackets ~$20, bulbs, shipping, etc. I think $200 is a pretty good target.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Hornswoggler
What I would REALLY be interested in (as a Maxima owner) would be a direct-fit (OEM quality fit, no hacking) replacement for the factory headlights. I don't need halo/angel/demon eyes, just brighter headlights. I would not want to spend over $200 either.

I don't know if my stock headlights are just old or what, but the light output is dismal. Now that it is getting dark earlier in the day, and I have an hour commute in my Max, I would atleast like to see whats 25 feet ahead of me (such as deer, tires, or roadkill). I might be a little spoiled by the HID's and projectors in my M3, and now I want something decent in my Max.

With that said, i'll probably brave the retrofit this weekend

but if you are looking for lighting product ideas Matt, I think the market could use some factory-like fit for the maximas. Maybe just a slightly modified e36 with pre-fabricated brackets, PnP connectors, and good documentation.

Just an idea.

Just get some UK maxima lights then...they are direct fit and use H4 bulbs. From what I hear the lighting is much better. You will have to do a little modding to change them from RHD lights so you dont blind every one though.

Aussies may use the same lights too.
Old 12-11-2003, 12:35 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by awsm66
Here is one thing some of you BMW guys or even the Maxima guys arent realizing on some of us that has done the BMW conversion.

Me, Brandon, Craig (not sure if he responded here but am not going to go through all the posts) and possibly a few others cut our factory BMW plastic lens off of our lights. We replaced them with clear Maxima headlight covers so that the curve of the light matches the body of the car.

If you want to see examples of this then look on my page for the pics. Now unforutnately I have not perfected this because of lack of time but will eventually seal it completely with fiberglass or something else but still make the lens removable in case it cracks or yellows. I am also waiting because I want to get projectors eventually and dont want to seal the lens of my US specs only to have to re do it on the projectors.

Now before you say "well a plastic headlight cover isnt going to be good enough". First of all my car isnt a daily driver so I will never have a problem BUT Craigs and all of the others that have done this are daily drivers and last I talked to them they have had no problems either.

Just wanted you guys to understand how we can put halos in the US sped lights and not worry about the factory lens.

Now I am not sure if nupe has the covers like me but if not he can explain how he put the halos in.

I have wanted DDEs for a while and one day I will get some euro lights with the DDEs but I dont see that coming any time soon .
Yeah, Mike... you pretty much covered things (no pun intended). I went the same route you went, in regards to the headlight cover. But what I did extra, was to borrow off an idea I saw in an internet search and "fabricate" my own angel eyes. I simply secured the rings to the front of the light, but inside the covers with some epoxy, ran my wiring outside the housing with enough length to tap into the parking lights.

Now, granted, the light output doesn't hold a candle to anything I've seen thus far, but then again, I didn't know Matt (umnitza) was offering an alternative...
Old 12-11-2003, 03:17 PM

Just get some UK maxima lights then...they are direct fit and use H4 bulbs. From what I hear the lighting is much better. You will have to do a little modding to change them from RHD lights so you dont blind every one though.

Aussies may use the same lights too.
Well e36 lights are much easier to get than UK Max lights. How would one mod the beam pattern BTW?
Old 12-11-2003, 06:27 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Lordrandall
Well e36 lights are much easier to get than UK Max lights. How would one mod the beam pattern BTW?

You know who to ask that question to. I will not tell or he will come down here an kick my butt.
Old 12-11-2003, 07:28 PM
Former Sponsor

How does one mod the beam pattern?

Inside Euro headlights is a metal bracket, this braket requires modification if you want to affect the pattern to any degree.

Euro = ___/ ___/
US = ____ ____

Nub - you're close.

Euro ellipsoids offer SEVERAL benefits:
1) Proper HID capability due to projectors
2) Infinite adjustment (not only mounting but also the headlight itself)
3) Glass - no need to explain
4) They come apart and are thus easier to include DDE.

Ok, how about this -

$179 for the headlights <- no bulbs, generic PnP harness, no stongard.
$99 for the DDE - YOU install them yourself?

The $449 price is more in line with us pre-doing everything for you and offering you a warranty.

WHAT?!?!?! yes, your entry just got a whole LOT cheaper
Old 12-12-2003, 09:14 AM

You know who to ask that question to. I will not tell or he will come down here an kick my butt.
Did I ask you?
Old 12-12-2003, 02:26 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Did I ask you?
You HAD to put the key in the ignition, didn't ya??

Oh, and Matt... THAT price I can do easily. And I'm sure that will work also for a lot of folks that want to go the BMW headlight route.

Now, when you say "generic PnP harness", does that mean that the harness you're including will adopt from the OEM 9004 harness to the 9006/9005 BMW sockets (or is it H1 - I'm not sure...)??

And I know you're just feeling out the market for this, but will these prices last past December? Next payday won't be until January, and I'm already tied up in a couple of projects as it is...
Old 12-12-2003, 03:01 PM
Former Sponsor

no, it's a 9006/5 harness to a Euro connector.
If you have 9004s, then you'll be doing some splicing.

We're just figuring stuff out. Most likely, we'll just sell a DIY product and you can do it Save $50-100
Old 12-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Did I ask you?

why yes you did . You quoted me and then said "How would one mod the beam pattern BTW?" so na LOL.