3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Calling all those with Fidanzas and Excedys...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:31 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Calling all those with Fidanzas and Excedys...

So yeah, pulling out of a parking lot today after school and had to move in a hurry. Next thing I know, i'm hitting the rev limiter and i've barely pulled out. Looked out front to see not tire smoke but clutch smoke...

First time it's ever happened and I haven't abused the clutch (maybe 5 drag runs...). How much for the package of Excedy and Fidanza? For comparison, how much for OEM? Oh, this happens just before i have to make a 1500 mile trip...
Old 12-09-2003, 12:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you could get a cheap exedy clutch kit off of ebay for 75 bucks if you needed one quickly.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:07 PM
STFU n00b!

Buy the Fidanza from me, and I think I can still get you an ACT for a pretty decent price. I'll have to check with my supplier, but I think a little over $300 for the ACT..

that's going to be the best you can get, unless you go with an Exedy off ebay or something.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:14 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Buy the Fidanza from me, and I think I can still get you an ACT for a pretty decent price. I'll have to check with my supplier, but I think a little over $300 for the ACT..

that's going to be the best you can get, unless you go with an Exedy off ebay or something.

Go with Matt and support an org member, I bought my flywheel from him and as far as the ACT $320 shipped is the best price I got when I bought mine.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:40 PM

J, you forgot to mention from where. Stillen believe it or not, $320.00 shipped and its a great clutch I've had it for 6,000 miles and no problems and N34JZ likes it also. 1-800-576-2833 ext. 139 James @ Stillen.
Old 12-09-2003, 01:52 PM
Seperated at Birth?

Originally Posted by N34JZ
Go with Matt and support an org member, I bought my flywheel from him and as far as the ACT $320 shipped is the best price I got when I bought mine.

i would love to but I don't know it my father would. $350 bucks is quite alot for a flywheel... How much for an OEM total replacement?
Old 12-09-2003, 02:10 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

Originally Posted by antonthegrey
i would love to but I don't know it my father would. $350 bucks is quite alot for a flywheel... How much for an OEM total replacement?

you could probably get a LUK clutch for about 150 or go with the exedy on ebay for around $100 I think, then just have the tranny shop resurface and lighten your flywheel. anything else your gonna have to pay to play.
Old 12-09-2003, 02:28 PM

It's spelled Exedy but said Ex-city (thats just the easiest way to type it out... plus I just woke up).

Try to make the trip then replace it if you can.

And flywheel, try to get him to buy it as part of Labor or just say yours has been warped from heat from the clutch slipping (lol).

There is a group deal as well.
You know if you wait until you get home I'll help out... but I might not drain the gear oil before I start yanking on the axles
Old 12-09-2003, 05:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I am a Direct Dealer for Daikin (O.E.M. to Nissan) /Exedy Racing Clutch If you Need A Good Price on a Clutch and Flywheel You can give me a call i have sold many clutches on this Site you can look at my Feed Back. you can also look at the Daikin/Exedy Site to see who a Dealer is http://www.daikin-clutch.com/distributors/index.shtml Look under New York name of my Company i is Direct Trans Parts http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

types of clutches

Single Plate Organic:

EXEDY Racing clutches with organic friction materials use only premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines.

The driveability will be like a stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of our clutch discs have high capacity spring center dampers to reduce the drive train shock and impact. For Purchase information Please Click Here:http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

Single Plate Cerametallic:

EXEDY cerametallic clutches are designed to handle the abuse of high power modified engines. Our cerametallic friction material can handle much more slippage than stock type disc assemblies without slipping and fading.

All EXEDY cerametallic clutch discs have spring center dampers to reduce the impact and shock loads put into the drive train. This protects the transmission and the rest of the drive line system.

We offer two types of cerametallic discs -normal thickness and reduced thickness.

The reduced thickness (thin cerametallic) discs offer greatly reduced inertia to improve shift efforts, make for faster shifting, and improve synchro durability. These discs are approximately 1/2 the thickness of a stock disc.

The normal thickness (thick cerametallic) discs have better heat capacity and therefore better durability in demanding applications such as all wheel drive. Even with the normal thickness, our three puck cerametallic discs still typically have less inertia than a stock disc.

With any cerametallic clutch system, there will be some compromise of start up driveability as compared to a stock clutch (chatter on light throttle, low rpm start up). This characteristic is generally felt to be acceptable in modified performance cars. Drivers of cerametallic clutches on the street should be warned not to "ride the clutch" to try to reduce the chatter as this will greatly increase the wear. For Purchase information Please Click Here: http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

Cerametallic Thick Cerametallic Thin

Racing Flywheels:

EXEDY Racing Flywheels are made from solid one-piece billet chrome moly steel or chrome moly steel forgings. They are specifically designed to reduce weight and inertia for better engine response. Most incorporate special design features to enhance the air flow to improve the cooling of the clutch. The ring gear teeth are milled onto the flywheel unlike an aluminum flywheel where the ring gear is pressed onto the flywheel which has the possibilities of separating from the flywheel. This could cause the flywheel to explode due to two different expansion coefficients (aluminum flywheel pressed on steel ring gear). EXEDY steel billet and forged steel flywheels have passed engineering tests to 15,000 rpm. They are guaranteed to be explosion proof at the said rpm. For Purchase information Please Click Here:http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html
Old 12-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Seperated at Birth?

well hey thanks guys! like i said, this will all happen once i get home so, if my dad okays it, you guys might be getting a phone call!
Old 12-09-2003, 08:43 PM

i have the fidanza and exedy stage 1

the clutch sucks, however maybe its just mine..

it grips great but im betting the pressure plate is shot (and 2 mechanics agree on this problem) because it is really stiff getting into gear and the pedal is very hard. I had it put in only about 4 months ago

but as for ACT, ive driven 3 VE 5spds with ACT and i liked the way they felt
Old 12-09-2003, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Maximan190

it grips great but im betting the pressure plate is shot (and 2 mechanics agree on this problem) because it is really stiff getting into gear and the pedal is very hard. I had it put in only about 4 months ago

Are those three VE's in your sig, I told you from the beginning to get ACT.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 PM

You couldn't pry my Exedy from my cold dead fingers.

thanks Izzy
Old 12-09-2003, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
You couldn't pry my Exedy from my cold dead fingers.
*grabs moldy, splintered wooden bat* What?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by D-sta

i was gonna say that...!!! Hahaha.. ACT all the way!!!!
Old 12-10-2003, 02:17 AM

:bann ed: You couldn't pry my Exedy from my cold dead fingers.

thanks Izzy

yeah you lucked out on my loss... damn u damn you shawn.. btw, how does your pedal feel. cause i think that joes is defective.. do you have any problems getting into any gears
Old 12-10-2003, 02:24 AM

no problems getting into gears (going up, downshifting into 1 can be hard if I'm going to fast, but thats a tranny issue).

Pedal Feel: Well I love it, it pushes back on your foot, but doesnt really take alot of effort to push down on. I say the part about it pushing back on your foot because my Dad's 2000 SE 5spd had his clutch replaced about 2 weeks or so before I did mine, and he used an OE clutch (not sure what brand since he decided to take it to a shop) and his is hard to drive in the sense that when your engaging the clutch the pedal doesnt really push on your foot so you cant really get a good fell for it.

When Jeff92se drove my car he said it was alot easier to push on the pedal than his ACT was. I forget the difference between mine and Davebond007's, I think mine was alittle harder to push down on, but I think he was more impressed with the clutches grip.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 AM

(going up, downshifting into 1 can be hard if I'm going to fast, but thats a tranny issue).
Doubleclutching would fix that. Ie, you're in 2nd gear. Push clutch in, take out of gear, let clutch out, rev to xxxx rpm, depress clutch, and push into 1st gear if you are going <25 mph (I think thats almost on the limiter in 1st). Now do it in less than 2 seconds.

Pedal Feel: Well I love it, it pushes back on your foot, but doesnt really take alot of effort to push down on.
Apparently you never got a good feel for my clutch. After driving your car, and getting used to it, I almost killed my car repeatedly because my clutch pedal really is PUSHING your foot off the floor, not just putting a light pressure against it. Something's messed up with my clutch, but it's still driveable so I don't care.

I think mine was alittle harder to push down on, but I think he was more impressed with the clutches grip.
There's no comparison between my clutch and your clutch. Lol. That much of a difference. I'd like to see what an ACT surely feels like though, so we can all compare.

Jeff? Hurry up.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:46 AM

tried double clutching, doesnt really work to well with 1st gear.

Thats right, I remember now, yours wasnt that bad though, I just focus more on the engage points more. Besides the only time I drove your car was before the dyno, while you've driven my car alot more (oh yeah, I let you borrow it that one time). Btw, 180*s and such are a lot easier with a aftermarket RSB .
Old 12-10-2003, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maximan190

Give Me a Call i will put you on the phone with Daikin/exedy and go over your problem with them and lets see if its a slave / master or presure plate ? i am on long island
Old 12-10-2003, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Clutch King

We offer two types of cerametallic discs -normal thickness and reduced thickness.

The reduced thickness (thin cerametallic) discs offer greatly reduced inertia to improve shift efforts, make for faster shifting, and improve synchro durability. These discs are approximately 1/2 the thickness of a stock disc.

The normal thickness (thick cerametallic) discs have better heat capacity and therefore better durability in demanding applications such as all wheel drive. Even with the normal thickness, our three puck cerametallic discs still typically have less inertia than a stock disc.

With any cerametallic clutch system, there will be some compromise of start up driveability as compared to a stock clutch (chatter on light throttle, low rpm start up). This characteristic is generally felt to be acceptable in modified performance cars. Drivers of cerametallic clutches on the street should be warned not to "ride the clutch" to try to reduce the chatter as this will greatly increase the wear. For Purchase information Please Click Here: http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

Cerametallic Thick Cerametallic Thin
http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html[/url]
how much lighter is this clutch and whats the torque capacity?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:07 AM
Seperated at Birth?

pluss..... whats the reliabilty? I'm looking for something that will last me some time.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:37 AM
I'm needing a caw

Is your clutch slipping now? I slipped my clutch pretty bad once but once it cooled down, it was fine. Just don't make a habit of it.

Didn't you just go though clutch class at UTI? You should know this!

You don't "need" a Fidanza but it's nice to have. You don't "need" an ACT if you don't go forced induction. A REAL OEM is pretty good. Of course the ACT would be all you would need for any future mod. IMHO, either OEM or ACT. I don't have enough experience to recommend others.

Maybe I can drive Mr. Gone's car again.

pluss..... whats the reliabilty? I'm looking for something that will last me some time.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Maybe I can drive Mr. Gone's car again.
Anytime! I need to come get that cable anyway, and want to help out with other things.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by D-Sta
maybe if this just needs a new part its worth keeping ill keep the exedy, if its all toast then maybe act

nice sig, my rims now have the SEL finish too

Originally Posted by Clutch King
Give Me a Call i will put you on the phone with Daikin/exedy and go over your problem with them and lets see if its a slave / master or presure plate ? i am on long island
ok cool, you live in stony brook area? I go to school there so maybe we can meet up one day and you can actually check it out/feel it in person
Old 12-10-2003, 11:54 AM
Seperated at Birth?

well, heres the story Jeff... no ACT, no OEM, exedys on ebay are 100 bux. I don't want ACT due to hugeginormous pressure plate that (for me) is not needed. A fidanza would only happen if my fly is too bad to resurface. Usually, one doesn't resurfece a flywheel twice.

I haven't driven it since then so I'll see later today
Old 12-10-2003, 12:00 PM
I'm needing a caw

Who no OEM? Just becareful about the ebay exedys. Don't expect them to work any better than stock(if that)
Old 12-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Seperated at Birth?

OEM is expensive... internetautomar wants 160 for his OEM clutches..... no offence man, but I'm not paying. 100 for an excedy sounds good. There's tons of em, either that, or i'll still look around. Ebay is just an option thats looking good.
Old 12-10-2003, 03:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

That's fine Anton. Just make sure you know what you are getting. I've driven Shawn's car with the Exedy. It seems okay. But then again, I didn't rip on it either. But I can tell you, the pressure plate is NOTHING like the ACT. I've seen ratings here that state the Exedy(whatever version) at 33% over stock and the ACT at 39% over stock. From what I feel with the pedal feel inbetween the two, that is waaaayy off. There's no way those two kits could be within 3% of each other.

Ask Internetautomar about Daikan make of clutches. Also another good brand that is/or used to be the oem for Nissan/Datsun.

OEM is expensive... internetautomar wants 160 for his OEM clutches..... no offence man, but I'm not paying. 100 for an excedy sounds good. There's tons of em, either that, or i'll still look around. Ebay is just an option thats looking good.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:30 PM
Seperated at Birth?

well, i don't want a firm clutch pedal especially in Seattle where traffic sucks. I've tried an ACT in my buddies 240 (fun car, btw) and it was too much effort for traffic. held nice, but still too much clutch effort.
Old 12-10-2003, 04:42 PM

Jeff, is the ACT that much more effort?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

My estimate. From stock, it's about 50% more effort. Which isn't that much IMHO. It's definately more effort don't get me wrong but nothing too bad. I drove it back and forth to work and that's rush hour commute stuff. No problems. I would tend to leave bigger gaps in traffic to avoid pushing the clutch all the time but again no biggie.

Just in my humble opinion, I don't see any stock clutch holding anything with nos/sc/turbo. At least not with full on hard shifts. I'd like to see something inbetween stock and the ACT for PP pressure though. But there isn't really.

Originally Posted by KLoWnPR109
Jeff, is the ACT that much more effort?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:54 PM

My estimate. From stock, it's about 50% more effort. Which isn't that much IMHO. It's definately more effort don't get me wrong but nothing too bad. I drove it back and forth to work and that's rush hour commute stuff. No problems. I would tend to leave bigger gaps in traffic to avoid pushing the clutch all the time but again no biggie.

Just in my humble opinion, I don't see any stock clutch holding anything with nos/sc/turbo. At least not with full on hard shifts. I'd like to see something inbetween stock and the ACT for PP pressure though. But there isn't really.
Yeah, I'm just gonna need something that will hold all the VG powah. I think anything compared to my current clutch is gonna seem insanely hard since it's so soft right now. I dont even really drive my car anymore unless its a 400 mile trip home, so a harder clutch feel isn't too much of a big deal. It's sitting in my room until my tranny gets rebuilt though.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:28 PM

look up Daikin Web site i am a Distributors Listed. Who else can say that ??

http://www.mitsubishigraveyard.com/direct.html

http://www.daikin-clutch.com/distributors/index.shtml
Old 12-10-2003, 06:28 PM

What about the part where Exedy's stage 1 and stage 2 use the same pressure plates. I thought it was the disc material that was mainly responsible for clutches strenght or ability to grip?
Old 12-10-2003, 06:46 PM

160 is pretty good for an OEM clutch if you ask me.........
Old 12-10-2003, 06:48 PM

i think both material and amount of pressure play a role in how much power the clutch will hold. more than likely the organic clutches are barely different than the oem clutch material but they use a stronger pressure plate for more grip... i could be wrong though.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:23 PM
I'm needing a caw

The ACT street setup uses a stock or near stock disc and a higher rated PP to get more grip.

Think of it this way. Brakes. The PP is like the caliper. It supplies the force. the disc is like the brake pads. They have to be able to withstand the heat/pressure the PP/Caliper is appling to the flywheel/rotor.

Originally Posted by mtcookson
i think both material and amount of pressure play a role in how much power the clutch will hold. more than likely the organic clutches are barely different than the oem clutch material but they use a stronger pressure plate for more grip... i could be wrong though.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:36 PM

Think of it this way. Brakes. The PP is like the caliper. It supplies the force. the disc is like the brake pads. They have to be able to withstand the heat/pressure the PP/Caliper is appling to the flywheel/rotor.
Can you make me a bracket so I can fit a bigger pressure plate on my car?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:17 PM

well from my experience, the pedal on ACTs i drove in the VEs are a HELL of a lot easier then my exedy

my pedal was stiff the day i drove it home from the shop and still is today

Quick Reply: Calling all those with Fidanzas and Excedys...