3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Turn on defogger with remote start?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 08:04 PM
mod or sell?

Turn on defogger with remote start?

Any one know how to set it up so that my rear defog automatically turns on with my remote start?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:39 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Press the program button on your remote, press the button, then press the defogger button in your car, then press program again? That's how it works for my remote for the living room....

Old 12-10-2003, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Any one know how to set it up so that my rear defog automatically turns on with my remote start?
there should be some sort of a relay-timer.
all what you need to do - fine where this relay is (wiring diagrams???) and add an additional "power" wire to it from "remote start unit

another thought - timer might be in the defrost switch itself (then wire goes to the switch instead of a relay, which might not exist at all (because of low power consumption)
Old 12-10-2003, 09:14 PM

i know the time control unit is under the dash/steering column. if you wired the the rear defogger power to the ignition (constant) power source it would work.
but it might cause the defogger to stay on all the time in which case the time control would be bypassed and defog elements would likely burn out.
this is a good idea....but we need a wiring guru to finalize or test the idea..i'd attempt it but my car all ready has enough electrical issues

craig?
Old 12-10-2003, 09:26 PM
Way out West

just turn your heat on full blast when you shut it off at night. Then start it in the morning and wait a while. Your car will be warm and the windows should be defrosted. Of, course gas isn't free...
Old 12-10-2003, 09:27 PM

This switch itself is not really a "switch" - it simply gives the timer unit impulse (mostly likely it is "ground" but might be "positive" as well).
Then biuld-in light receives a feedback from timer unit (might be in-line with defog).

So what is required then - an impulse unit. Locate a wire coming to timer unit from a switch. Connect an impulse unit to the same input and ... burn out your entire electic system!!! ha-ha!!!

edited:
or another way - "starter unit" should engage starter's relay for about 4-5 seconds, right? so if the same output is connected to the "input" (timer unit) from defroster button - it should engage defroster as well (but if it is a "ground" - relay is required but instead of power it should use "ground')
Old 12-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

spicing the wires from the remote start thing into the defroster button, it could work
Old 12-10-2003, 10:40 PM

rrrfoma is right, the switch in the dash just sends a signal (it is ground) to the time control unit which turns on the defrost through a relay and also starts the 15min timer on it (or whatever time it is, something like that)

on my Crimestopper unit, there is a anti-grind output that gives a ground signal while it's trying to remote start, you should be able to use that to trigger the ground signal needed in the switch (green/blue wire). Or you could do something a little more complicated like wire it up to the lock output coming from your remote start/keyless entry. Normally when you press the lock button on the remote, the car wont be on so the defrost wont be able to turn on. After you remote start, the car's ign power will be on and then you press lock and it'll lock the doors (probably already locked anyway) and also turn on the defrost. Hmm, that actually sounds kinda cool, maybe I should do that
Or if you have an extra output on your remote start, that would be easy too
Old 12-10-2003, 10:40 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Ok. Now that we've tried all THAT stuff... (and rrrfoma is on the right track), let's do it the RIGHT way, shall we???

If I'm not mistaken, the defroster's timer takes a negative ground pulse to activate it for whatever set time is in it. This is usually provided by the switch. Now, I've done this with cars I've installed remote starts with in two ways. One way was to run a relay from the accessory wire in the car to provide a ground pulse (30 & 85 to ground, 87 to the defroster wire, and 86 to the accessory wire in the car). Another way requires the remote start to have a negative ignition output. If you're using the remote starts we talked about via PM, then it'll be the yellow/black wire.

If you need any assistance with that, PM me. I'll be glad to answer ya!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Craig.... talk about GMTA!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Ok. Now that we've tried all THAT stuff... (and rrrfoma is on the right track), let's do it the RIGHT way, shall we???

If I'm not mistaken, the defroster's timer takes a negative ground pulse to activate it for whatever set time is in it. This is usually provided by the switch. Now, I've done this with cars I've installed remote starts with in two ways. One way was to run a relay from the accessory wire in the car to provide a ground pulse (30 & 85 to ground, 87 to the defroster wire, and 86 to the accessory wire in the car). Another way requires the remote start to have a negative ignition output. If you're using the remote starts we talked about via PM, then it'll be the yellow/black wire.

unless I'm not understanding what you're describing, wouldn't the defrost always turn on and remain on whenever you turn the car on? Unless you meant 30&85 on a ground pulse in which case then why do you need a relay (unless the ground pulse wasn't strong enough on its own) instead of just wiring the ground output directly to the defrost switch.

Yellow/black wire sounds like you're talking about the CS900 also. I use that wire for a couple relays for my clutch sensor.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:48 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
unless I'm not understanding what you're describing, wouldn't the defrost always turn on and remain on whenever you turn the car on? Unless you meant 30&85 on a ground pulse in which case then why do you need a relay (unless the ground pulse wasn't strong enough on its own) instead of just wiring the ground output directly to the defrost switch.

Yellow/black wire sounds like you're talking about the CS900 also. I use that wire for a couple relays for my clutch sensor.

- yeah, 30 & 85 to a pulsed ground was what I was referring to. But that was with the thought that the originating pulse might not be strong enough.

... and yea, you're right on the money with the CS900
Old 12-10-2003, 10:48 PM

Craig.... talk about GMTA!
hehe, yeah (except my idea where you push the lock button after it's already remote started is way cooler and that way it doesn't always turn on ie summer )

took me a second to figure out GMTA, but I got it now
Old 12-10-2003, 10:49 PM

- yeah, 30 & 85 to a pulsed ground was what I was referring to. But that was with the thought that the originating pulse might not be strong enough.

... and yea, you're right on the money with the CS900
that's what I figured you were getting at, but then you'd need to hook 30 up to a better ground
otherwise it's just relaying the same signal again
Old 12-10-2003, 11:25 PM

Thanks for bringing this subject up! I've been using my remote starter more often now and I would have liked to set it up in such a way that it turns on the defrost automatically.

Personally I would like to just wire it up somehow so that the starter just turns it on at startup all the time. The only time I really use my remote start at all is in the winter when it's cold out, so odds are that I'll need the defrost function anyway.

I can't remember or know if my remote start unit sends any signals out at startup, even though I'm pretty sure it does have + and - signal accessory leads..... I'll have to find the manual.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 PM

Brian, if you need help, just email me craigbrace@hotmail or post on here

that's a good point aboot having it always on since you only use it in winter. It's useful down here in the summer to cool the car down too but probably not as much of an issue for you since you're in America Junior. I'd guess that you have some kind of ouptut that you can use to start the defrost. If it's a + output, you'll need a relay to switch the polarity (85,30: gnd, 86: + signal, 87: output to defrost wire)
Old 12-11-2003, 12:41 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

....since you're in America Junior....
Old 12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by rrrfoma

edited:
or another way - "starter unit" should engage starter's relay for about 4-5 seconds, right? so if the same output is connected to the "input" (timer unit) from defroster button - it should engage defroster as well (but if it is a "ground" - relay is required but instead of power it should use "ground')
That sounds like a good idea!
Old 12-11-2003, 08:16 AM
mod or sell?

Nah, I've a POS bullbog unit in there now. (freebie) ( actually bought and installed it in my old blazer years ago)

Last edited by internetautomar; 03-11-2008 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:50 PM

Brian, if you need help, just email me craigbrace@hotmail or post on here

that's a good point aboot having it always on since you only use it in winter. It's useful down here in the summer to cool the car down too but probably not as much of an issue for you since you're in America Junior. I'd guess that you have some kind of ouptut that you can use to start the defrost. If it's a + output, you'll need a relay to switch the polarity (85,30: gnd, 86: + signal, 87: output to defrost wire)
Thanks, but since I'm a wuss no work is going to be done on this until spring. Probably going to fall low on the totem pole...

Hoser.