3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I need help with engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2003, 08:55 AM

I need help with engine problems

I would search for similar problems, but the search function is not working for some reason. Here is my problems

My maxima is a 91 SE with automatic, it is at 105k, I aquired it at around 94k. The engine is a VG30E.

About a 4 months ago, I noticed that coolant started to leak from the left hand side of the engine, where the belts are, and the originating point seems to be from somewhere in the belt area. A mechanic told me that I need to either get my waterpump replace or a sensor was going bad. This, along with belt replacements would cost me 500 bucks, a steep price for a student like me, so i just dumped in coolant when it gets low and continue driving without a problem.

Recently, when the engine idles to warm up as I scrape the ice off my windshield getting ready to go to work, I noticed that the engine stutters twice, but ran normally again, so I didn't thought much of it. However, when I took the car to work, it ran fine for about 12 miles or so( highway), then the engine would stutters and shook severly, and the car stalled, after it stalled, I could start the car up right away, and try to get to work, it does this for about 3 times. About 1 hour later when I went home, the car ran without shutting off, for as the engine started to stutter and cuts out, I would rev it up. I got home without the car cutting out, but I notice a tremendous loss of power, and I had to hit the gas pedal pretty hard to get the car to a desirealbe speed where I only had to tap it very lightly prior to the problem. I decided to pull an error code, and it came up 33.

Yesterday, an apprentice machinic friend of my family came over to check it, and when warming up the car for about 5-10 minutes, the engine started to stutter, like revving up and then down to a point of almost shutting off. When he revved the engine manually, I notice that the engine makes a explosion like "bang" sound, once every 2 seconds or sooner. He said that I might need a new engine due to factoring in the coolant leak. I researched and the price was around 1000 for this, and if I can't afford 500 bucks, let alone a grand. Please help me, as I need this car for school, and its cold and snowy here in Jersey.

Please offer some suggestion or experience in order to shed some light on the situation.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:09 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my 91 gxe does the exact same thing right down to the explosion sound and its definitely not the engine itself. i believe it has something to do with the ignition but i haven't pinpointed it yet.

as for the coolant leak its most like the water pump. is the leak near the center of the engine or is it up higher near the top?
Old 12-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Donating member? what the?!

the continued running of the engine after you have switched the ignition off sounds like a couple of possibilities

Because of coolant leak, your engine is a little hotter than usual, and if your injectors are leaky or somewhere in the lines is forcing gas into the combustion chamber, the gas will ignite b/c of heat and a small spark from the spark plugs. The sparks should still exist b/c the alternator can still supply a little bit of voltage during sputtering.

Other than my thoughts, you may want to look into the fuel aspects of the great VG30E (not flame for VE's)
Old 12-13-2003, 11:14 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

fsm says code 33 is exhaust gas sensor. you definitely may check that since that could cause a lot of problems. i should probably check mine as well since i'm having the same problems as you.

exhaust gas sensor = 02 sensor. at least according to what the fsm is saying.
Old 12-13-2003, 04:58 PM

if you look at the engine from the front of the car, then the leak would be on the left hand side, where the belts are, and the originating point should be mid to lower of the engine.

Thanks for the replies, I will definitely look into the O2 problem.
Old 12-13-2003, 05:02 PM

yeah its most likely o2, but id get the radiator hose checked too, something like that can be bad.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:20 PM
mod or sell?

:
O2 is routine matinence people!
Not when it appears to have failed only.
And if it throws a code it's been shot for a while.
BTW A blown headgasket will leak coolant, cause running problems, and contaminate an o2 sensor.
So um pics are necessary. and so is a pressure check