3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Custom Cupholder(s)!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2003, 02:45 PM

Custom Cupholder(s)!

I think I'm going to try to make some cupholders for the Max! While deep cleaning my max today, I took out the passenger seat and the center console. I realized that the compartment with the door, (at least it exists in a 91 GXE) has some space between the bottom of the bin, and the seatbelt mechanism. I'm gonna try to make a cupholder, or cupholders, in this space. If I do maybe I'll make a couple and sell them to you guys!
Old 12-16-2003, 03:39 PM

the 92-94 dash had a pop out cupholder in that lower din space whereas your 91 and older models have a compartment

but go ahead and try to make one; the 92-94 factory cupholder is useless anyway
Old 12-16-2003, 04:47 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

And if successful, you will have solved one of the age-old mysteries of the 3rd Gen.
Old 12-16-2003, 06:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wheel hop can make my cell phone fall out from that tray and onto the passanger floor.

sweet idea though, cant wait to see mach up pics of it!
Old 12-16-2003, 08:41 PM

this is rough from about 3 years of use, but it still works great. holds cans (and the lid closes too) and fast food drinks except biggie size.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:17 PM

but im gonna make it so the lid will close with cans in it!
Old 12-17-2003, 12:23 PM

good idea, whenever i drive i lean on that so if i had a cupholder my arms would be lost :s, but thats a good idea, im gonna think about putting a cupholder in the door pocket. i figure i might be able to make it deep enough/ wide enough to fit a bigge sized drink
Old 12-17-2003, 12:23 PM

You know saab sells a single dim cup hoder unit. I always wanted to try it. But never got a round to it.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:42 PM

they dont sell it, but you can pick one up from a junk yard. i kinda want to do that, but i like that compartment. it holds valuable things, like cigarettes and paperwork
Old 12-17-2003, 01:11 PM

Ok! I'm looking to my other .ORG members for help! Don't let me down guys. I've come to the conclusion that only a 12 oz. can will fit and still allow the lid to close while the can is in the holder. So, I plan on cutting a hole in the bin, towards the back, that is a little wider than the diameter of a 12 oz. pop can. Now what I need you guys to do, is find where I can buy some 'drop-in' type cupholders, that'll sit in the hole, and stop the can from falling through the center console. Note: They should not have any holes, because if you use the center bin for other stuff, change, keys, etc. You wouldn't want them falling though the center console. Also; it should have some kind of thing at the top to keep itself from falling throught the console, possible with screw holes. I've searched quite a bit and havn't found anything...so c'mon guys help me out and maybe you can get your own 3rd gen cupholder! EDIT: The depth of the can will not have to be the height of a 12 oz. pop can, only around 3/4 the heigh of a can. C'mon guys lets solve this problem once and for all! Also, I realize the description is a little hard to understand, so I am going to make a 'blueprint' to help you guys get the idea.
Old 12-17-2003, 01:28 PM

Old 12-17-2003, 01:46 PM

You guys are madd!... haha. This is the tightest idea I have heard all day... I mean, this is why there are a bunch of people on the org, so we can brainstorm and create ideas to solve problems we have or to make things just for fun!
Old 12-17-2003, 02:13 PM

Correction! The depth of the cupholder will only have to be about half the height of the pop can!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:26 PM

bump...cmon 3rd genners!
Old 12-17-2003, 04:37 PM

ok, nothing in relation to your cupholders, but folding ones from Camping World are really good..I'm going to order one or 2 for the max, and mount them on the passenger side of the console by the shifter..The bottom folds over the works to cover it up, and when unfolded, they have little arms that can be spread out wide enough to hold a 20 oz coke bottle, or narrow enough to hold cans the size of red bull cans..you could also mount one on the back of the console if you frequently have passengers..heres the address, or go to www.campingworld.com and look under on the road>travel comforts

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/p...D=1655&src=TSC
Old 12-17-2003, 04:43 PM
e_is_chillin

Sounds like a good idea to me...
can't wait to see the finished product!

Originally Posted by DMad8724
but im gonna make it so the lid will close with cans in it!

Old 12-17-2003, 04:45 PM

ok, nothing in relation to your cupholders, but folding ones from Camping World are really good..I'm going to order one or 2 for the max, and mount them on the passenger side of the console by the shifter..The bottom folds over the works to cover it up, and when unfolded, they have little arms that can be spread out wide enough to hold a 20 oz coke bottle, or narrow enough to hold cans the size of red bull cans..you could also mount one on the back of the console if you frequently have passengers..heres the address, or go to www.campingworld.com and look under on the road>travel comforts

http://www.campingworld.com/browse/...ID=1655&src=TSC
Thanks, but that doesn't really help the cause..any others?
Old 12-17-2003, 05:15 PM

ok, after looking closer at your blueprints, I think I MIGHT be able to make somthing that would resemble that, but as a prototype it would be VERY ugly and would require refinement by myself or somone else..the prototype would probably be made out of aluminum flashing, pop rivits/sheetmetal screws, and electrical tape..It would be a start..but it would have to wait til the weekend, since I have finals tomorrow and friday..

If you want me to try to make them, I will, provided no one bashes my fabrication that will be there ONLY to give people more ideas to improve upon it..
Old 12-17-2003, 05:49 PM

Golden Ice, I think you should, as long as it would be somewhat symmetrical, and maybe be thick enough to sand? And of course paintable, if you can lay your hands of the material used to make the center console, the thick vynal (sp.), then I think it would be exactly what I'm looking for! Also, from the top of the cupholder, where it touches the bin, to the bottom, it would only have to be 2.5" maximum, don't make the depth the height of the can, that would make it extremely hard to get the can out, plus there's 2 or so inches from the bottom of the bin to the bottom of the door, that's where the rest of the can will stay.
Old 12-17-2003, 06:50 PM

Aluminum flashing isn't frightfully thick, but you could sand it I guess, and it would be easily paintable..If I make it, I suppose I could send it to you for improvement and suggestions, but I can't get my hands on much around here, so it would be crude and would be in dire need of improvement..the bottom would be UUUGGLY, but you probably wouldn't see it anyway..it could be made out of steel sheetmetal and welded together as a final product, but I'm not much of a welder..

Anyway, I have to finish my final project for one of my classes and study for 2 finals for tomorrow, so I may or may not check back tonight or tomorrow..
Old 12-17-2003, 06:53 PM

Sounds good to me! Maybe I could even improve on it if you sent it to me somewhat finished, and the bottom can be as ugly as it wants to be as far as im concerned. ALSO Golden Ice I PMd you
Old 12-17-2003, 08:01 PM

bumpz bumpz
Old 12-17-2003, 08:36 PM

If you just want something to hold a 12oz can, get the stock cupholder for 92-94s. I got one at a junkyard for $5 and have seen them on ebay for $20. The SAAB ones look pretty nice and can be found easily on ebay. You'll still have storage in the center console and glovebox.
it holds a can very well, but things that are taller or much wider get to be a problem
Old 12-17-2003, 10:13 PM

as too with most cupholders. i hope you guys find something to work, i know that boat cupholers might work, since theyre really for dropin into the hole in a boat. my neighbor did it on his bbq and it worked pretty spiffy-ly.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:10 AM

Mabye I am just not thinking it through, but It seems to me like this would be a really easy thing to make.

1) Make a simple square box out of wood and attach to the top of it a flat piece for mounting.
2) Use a square piece of styrafoam just the same size as the inside of the box and cut a round hole in it.
3) Paint the styrafoam, or cover it with cloth.
4) Put the foam in the box, and mount the box in the car.

Sound good?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:03 PM

kingcarnage I can't really get a feel for what you're tryin to get me to imagine. I think it is basically what mine is, I think, but then you throw in this mystery styrafoam. Could you make some sort of drawing/pic?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
You guys are madd!... haha. This is the tightest idea I have heard all day... I mean, this is why there are a bunch of people on the org, so we can brainstorm and create ideas to solve problems we have or to make things just for fun!
C'mon 3rd Genners!
Old 12-18-2003, 10:47 PM

You're really enthusiastic about this, aren't you?

I don't see much reason for having to close the armrest over two drinks. I thought one can was enough. Anymore shoudln't remain there. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck with the project though. I am very happy with mine. I even have a little space on the side for other junk. BTW, I like how Taco Bell has the smaller diameter bottoms on their large cups, so it fits just perfect!
Old 12-18-2003, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
kingcarnage I can't really get a feel for what you're tryin to get me to imagine. I think it is basically what mine is, I think, but then you throw in this mystery styrafoam. Could you make some sort of drawing/pic?

I will make a quick mock up in 3d studio max of what mean and post it for you. It won't take long.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:22 AM

ghostmax, who said anything about 2 drinks? I'm thinking about just one can holder in the armrest, not too
Old 12-19-2003, 10:41 AM

Here are the 3d mockups. It took me about 20 or 30 minutes to make em.

exploded view:

assembled view:

Now my instruction will make more sense.
1) Make a simple square box out of wood and attach to the top of it a flat piece for mounting.
2) Use a square piece of styrafoam just the same size as the inside of the box and cut a round hole in it.
3) Paint the styrafoam, or cover it with cloth.
4) Put the foam in the box, and mount the box in the car.

what do you think?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:29 PM

kingcarnage thats perfect, except the top plate is a little big, and why must the styrafoam be there? it would work just as well the other way, and if you can make that...do it!
Old 12-19-2003, 09:51 PM

btw, the factory drink holder isn't worth 2 cents..if you're parked or going slowly in a straight line, sure, they'll hold a 12 oz can..no turns or hard braking or acceleration though..believe me, I have one and I always hold my drink while I drive cause it always tips over in the holder..plus, I want my other DIN slot for an equalizer, not a cup holder, hence why I suggested the camping world holders, and why I'm going to try to fab one of these later tonight or somtime tomorrow..
Old 12-19-2003, 09:53 PM

and his styrofoam is there for an insulation factor and to keep the can somwhat snug, I imagine..
Old 12-19-2003, 11:30 PM

Yes it's to keep the can in place and give a more professional look though insulation is really just an added bonus. If you put a thin black velvet sleeve around the inside of the styrafoam it would be possible to make it look like a factory job.

Also I know the demensions are no where near correct for any of the pieces in the render. The images are only for demonstrative purposes to help with the instructions so you can understand where everything would go.

Anyway I have no desire to build this because the erganomics are all wrong. Sit in your car and image you have completed the install. Now while driving reach down and grab your drink (or rather where the drink would be) . . . hey wait a minute you can't reach down because it's behind you. You have to reach up and back in an aquward way to get to the drink.

Right now I have a 2 cup plastic holder wedged between the front seats on top of the e-brake handle. For many though this is inconvienient like is you have a manual trans and you use the e-brake to park. I would place a cup holder either to each side of the e-brake handle, or beside the center console on the passengers side just in front of the passengers seat.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:46 PM

did this project ever get done? Despite my criticisms I do think it would be a cool customization to see.

pics?
Old 12-24-2003, 12:55 AM

I don't have pics, BUT I have a prototype that I'm still working on..its made of aluminum flashing with a piece of 5/8 particle board for a bottom..I cut the particle board into a 3 inch diameter circle, then I wrapped a piece of flashing around it to where it overlaps barely..the flashing is 3.5" tall total, 5/8 out for the bottom, and 1/2" out for the top where I've cut the flashing 1/2" down in 6 places so it bends down easier..i'm going to pick up some tempered hardboard to drop it into, then it will be mounted underneith..the hole must be cut in the console with a 3" hole saw drill attatchment so its perfectly circular..I'm probably not going to use it in my max, but once I finish it, I'll send it to Dmad for final refinement, and if he wants to, production..

Btw, the flashing is secured to the bottom with sheetmetal screws
Old 12-24-2003, 01:13 AM

this setup of mine worked really well for me. the only downside was the stupid cupholders would rattle really loud if there was nothing in them and i eventually ripped them out because of it. if i can find some cupholders like those made of material that would be quieter i'll probably do that setup again. i might even move them around a bit so it doesn't get in the way of the head unit and such.

Old 12-24-2003, 01:33 AM

yeah I really liked your design (I did make my own variation), but the rattle really got on my nerves as well..
Old 08-15-2012, 09:53 AM

this post may be old but i have a idea i was thinking for my max cause i dont like it when my friends put there big super size slurpees in my cupholders hardly even fitting in bothering me when i shift... so i was thinking of buying cupholders for my car but not those ones that you can remove i really dont like the ugly soccer mom look so id buy some cool maybe chrome cupholders (not trying to rice up my ride) and drill holes into the cup holder and into the door panel and mount them up so cups would never get in my way...and i would make sure they are big enough for those big cups lol. i know some people would say this isnt there cup of tea but sometimes i have to take practicality and comfort over looks. but i also think it would look cool if i got some cool cup holders.

Quick Reply: Custom Cupholder(s)!