3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

NEED HELP!!About BMW Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 01:11 PM

NEED HELP!!About BMW Headlights

I just bought these BMW Euro headlights the E36 clear ones. and it comes with all these wires and stuff i need directions can anyone help me out.Its the complete wiring sytstem.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Is the connector on the headlight itself round with 4 prongs? You'll probably have to cut off the facotry bmw harnesses if they are on there. Do you have any pictures?
Old 12-19-2003, 02:18 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

the directions are all over this site and in the FAQ...what more do you need??
Old 12-19-2003, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DA-MAX
...what more do you need??
you to hold my hand and walk me to the candy store.

Old 12-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Originally Posted by MrGone
you to hold my hand and walk me to the candy store.

better yet, I'll push you down there in a stroller
Old 12-19-2003, 05:46 PM

i just did this mod to my 89 and it looks sick, still need to clean it up a bit but they do look damn good. HAVE A BEER. now make sure the 4 prongs are wired correctly, follow the instructions that came with the lights for this, you may need to check inside the housing to get a reference for the 1st wire. then chop off the bmw wiring harness. now chop off your maxima wiring harness but leave room so that you can mess with the wires there. the two brown wires are your ground wires, solder/twist them together and solder/use a butt connector and attach them both to your black wire that was connected to your stock max harness, use electrical tape or heat shrink to cover these. next turn your driving lights on and see which of the other two wires has power going to them using your multimeter (better have one). attach the max driving lights (the wire with power to it) to the yellow wire, the other max wire is attached to the white wire. the grey wire i don't know exactly what to do with it but i attached that to the positive on the parking lights (thats where the bmw directions told me too from my best guess). there's red and white wires inside the bmw housing. HAVE A BEER. use 2 the two red wire splicers (think that's what they're called) and put the red one to the power on the parking lights and the white one on the black wire on the parking lights. now do the same to the other side and stand back, it's like whoa, killer bmw lighting. i'm gonna change the bulbs cause some are super white and others shine the same as our stock ones (like ish). that should be all, any other questions just ask. you should be finished with 1-2 beers by this time depending on how fast you drink/work.
Old 12-20-2003, 05:16 AM

theres the harnesss I know where everything goes except the one socket thing left by itself. Its a green brown and blak wire I think. Its coming from the relay. I am just wondering If I need the relay thing and what to hook the power socket thing to?
Old 12-20-2003, 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Is the connector on the headlight itself round with 4 prongs? You'll probably have to cut off the facotry bmw harnesses if they are on there. Do you have any pictures?
it is 3 prongs. they are blue white and black wires in them i know those hook up to the headlight prongs but theres one that doesnt hook up to anything from the relay thing. A Mechanic thinks its my power wire but it doesnt hook up to anything it has 3 prongs. I think the colors are green brown and something else.Thats all part of the harness thing
Old 12-23-2003, 02:29 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Originally Posted by 1swtMaxima
I just bought these BMW Euro headlights the E36 clear ones. and it comes with all these wires and stuff i need directions can anyone help me out.Its the complete wiring sytstem.

where did you buy your Euro e36's at? can you buy them online somewhere?
Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

it is 3 prongs. they are blue white and black wires in them i know those hook up to the headlight prongs but theres one that doesnt hook up to anything from the relay thing. A Mechanic thinks its my power wire but it doesnt hook up to anything it has 3 prongs. I think the colors are green brown and something else.Thats all part of the harness thing
I'm having a hard time visualizing all of that. It'd probably help everyone out if you could get a fairly good pic of the plugs on the back of the headlight.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:31 PM

Is the relay a part that came with the headlight? What does it connect to on the light (ie which bulbs?) If you have city lights on your e36's then it might be for those. If not then it might be the harness that plugs into the factory BMW harness. In that case you would have two of them and clip them off. Sorry this probably isnt much help, but if you have a picture someone should be able to give you an answer.