3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Audio System Advice For GXE

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2003, 05:26 PM
Im izz sexay

Audio System Advice For GXE

As of right now I am going to purchase the Panasonic CQ-DF583U and some 6.5" speakers for the front. I want to know how much trouble would I go through trying to fit some 6x9's into the rear deck which are 6.75" stock. Do you think it'll be alot of trouble to do this or should I just get some 6.5's for the rear too.
Old 12-20-2003, 07:02 PM
mod or sell?

Get stock bose speaker adapters for the rear and problem solved
Bose had 6*9s in the rear
Old 12-20-2003, 08:44 PM

I wouldn't buy panasonic or sony car audio stuff, but that may just be me..

I'd get 6.75" Kicker Resolution Midbass in the rear deck instead of 6x9's..you don't want many/any highs comming from the rear if you want real SQ, and most 6x9's are meant to be full range speakers..

You can get 6.5" in front with James's pods, like you said you planned on doing, which is a good option if you arn't in my boat of already having some good 4x6's up front..

Another good option if you dont mind spending the money is getting Q-Logic kick panel speaker pods and some 5.25" midrange, some tweeters, and get some 6.5" or 6.75" pods for the front and put 6.5" or 6.75" respectively midbass in the doors, just be sure to dynamat the door panels pretty good if you do that..

Be sure to get some kind of subwoofer(s), no matter what kind of music you listen to..it REALLY makes a difference in the quality of your music if you have either a 3 part (tweeters, midrange, and subwoofer(s)) or 4 part (tweeters, midrange, midbass, and subwoofer(s)) component system..
Old 12-20-2003, 08:53 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Golden Ice

I'd get 6.75" Kicker Resolution Midbass in the rear deck instead of 6x9's..you don't want many/any highs comming from the rear if you want real SQ, and most 6x9's are meant to be full range speakers..

You can get 6.5" in front with James's pods, like you said you planned on doing, which is a good option if you arn't in my boat of already having some good 4x6's up front..

Another good option if you dont mind spending the money is getting Q-Logic kick panel speaker pods and some 5.25" midrange, some tweeters, and get some 6.5" or 6.75" pods for the front and put 6.5" or 6.75" respectively midbass in the doors, just be sure to dynamat the door panels pretty good if you do that..

Be sure to get some kind of subwoofer(s), no matter what kind of music you listen to..it REALLY makes a difference in the quality of your music if you have either a 3 part (tweeters, midrange, and subwoofer(s)) or 4 part (tweeters, midrange, midbass, and subwoofer(s)) component system..
Unfortunately, they don't make any Q-Logic kickpanel pods for 3rd gens. Maybe getting some for a 4th gen and 'adapting' them to our car might help, but I'm not even sure they make 'em for 4th gens.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:02 PM

hm, maybe they weren't Q-Logic, but know I saw a set of pods for 3rd gens on E-bay..but they only came in black and required painting, and I didn't wanna mess with painting them to my interior color..
Old 12-20-2003, 09:12 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

hm, maybe they weren't Q-Logic, but know I saw a set of pods for 3rd gens on E-bay..but they only came in black and required painting, and I didn't wanna mess with painting them to my interior color..
Sure those weren't "one-offs"?? I know someone here actually MADE a set for themselves, sold their car, and parted out the pods to another .org-y member.
Old 12-20-2003, 09:31 PM

naw, it was a bulk seller..they had them for multiple vehicles
Old 12-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Im izz sexay

Why don't you like panasonic and sony? I am going to pm james92SE on probably monday and order me a set of pods. Then it's off to the boneyard for some adapters. Subs are a no brainer. I'll probably get something around the 500 watt range so I can get an affordable amp.
Old 12-20-2003, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
Why don't you like panasonic and sony? I am going to pm james92SE on probably monday and order me a set of pods. Then it's off to the boneyard for some adapters. Subs are a no brainer. I'll probably get something around the 500 watt range so I can get an affordable amp.
stay away from Sony. their car stereo stuff isn't all that great.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:44 AM

most definitely agree, sony is the worse of the 2, panasonic is a lot worse than pioneer though..you can get a cheap pioneer CD player that sounds good for $75 at wal-mart if they still have them in stock, or you can buy one of the middle end models for under $200 that sounds really good, and actually performs better with subs than most because of a higher low level output voltage..Panasonic looks good on paper, but their SQ isn't all that good unless you run a 4 channel amp and crossovers for front and rear speakers and use the low level outputs to drive them..not to mention they don't have much in the way of durability and tend to skip with large bass hits unlike pioneer and most kenwood units..
Old 12-21-2003, 01:00 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

naw, it was a bulk seller..they had them for multiple vehicles
If you have a link or something, let me know. I'd be curious to see those.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:19 AM

its been awhile since I saw them, a good month and a half..

You can always build some..I thought about it myself a few times..the right side would be easy..the left not so easy..not to mention I would have to carpet it with carpet that wasn't of matching color to my interior..
Old 12-21-2003, 01:39 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Yeah... the only reason I haven't taken up that project is because I've got other projects going on right now. But I might endeavor to try it out - if but to get my 4" midbass driver out of the door and away from the 6" to lower imaging a bit.
Old 12-21-2003, 01:52 AM

if you try it let me know about your results..I'd be interested in trying it if I had an idea of what I was doing around the hood release and stuff..
Old 12-21-2003, 07:32 AM
Im izz sexay

Do you think that Kenwood makes good receivers? I found the Kenwood KDC-MP522 at etronics.com for $165. It also has what I am looking for in a CD deck. MP3 and a 50 watt max amp. built in.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:46 AM

yeah kenwood makes some nice receivers. btw the output is 50 x 4 watts max, but they're really putting out like 23 x 4 watts rms.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:01 AM

yep, Kenwood is good..Kenwood and Pioneer both make good middle end stuff..as far as recievers go, Kenwood or Pioneer are probably the most common, if you don't count the people that buy sony and wonder why it doesn't sound all that good..
Old 12-21-2003, 01:36 PM
Im izz sexay

So kenwood it is. Thanks a lot
Old 12-21-2003, 02:40 PM

yep..consider some 6 3/4" midbass instead of 6x9s too..
Old 12-21-2003, 03:13 PM
Im izz sexay

yep..consider some 6 3/4" midbass instead of 6x9s too..
What exactly does midbasses do? If they do as the somewhat implies then I might as well get an entire component set. Since I am a H.S. student I will ebay it.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:39 PM

yep..its a component section for a 4 way component system..midbass is a little lower than midrange (what your fronts should be) and slightly higher than bass..Kicker Resolution 6 3/4" are a good set..you want your midbass and bass in back, and midrange and highs in front..if your bass is noticeably behind you when looking straight forward, you might want to try putting some more lows to the door speakers..a 4-way amp with built in crossovers with adjustable cut-offs is a good idea..www.cmttrading.com on E-bay sells brand new Legacy 1200w 4 channel amps like this with both low pass, high pass, and full pass settings for each pair of channels..or you can use it as a 3 chan and drive a sub with 2 channels and a set of 2 speakers with the other 2..they're $89 + $20 shipping..I had one that fried (my fault, not a bad item..a couple of strands of the power wire touched the chrome casing, which shorted it out) and it sounded good, and I ordered a new one which should be here monday..

After I can get some money saved back up (I'm in HS as well..), I'm getting some midbass for the rear and another pair of subs..

You wont need an entire component set, just some decent coaxial fronts and a pair of tweeters and the midbass and you'll be alright..after a while, you can get some components for the front and a better overall system..that way you don't have to fork out an outrageous price at once, and you can just keep upgrading.. (costs a little more in the long run, but you have more money availiable to you if an emergency comes up between now and when you get your next upgrade..)
Old 12-21-2003, 05:07 PM
Im izz sexay

That sounds pretty good. I have some 3-way 6.5 speakers for the front already and was trying to find something for the rears. The midbasses sound good. So that is something that I might end-up going with. In addition to those I might as well purchase some tweeters.

Money is hard to come by so us HS students have to do what we need to do first. That is getting as much mods as we can before college.
Old 12-21-2003, 05:40 PM

tweeters

when/if you get tweeters, you can easily install them in the front sail panels on the doors (the black things at the front of the window) with 3M tape, or you can cut a hole in the door just below that (its hollow behind there) and stick them in there, and run your wires down to the midrange (in your case, the 3 way) and wire them to some passive crossovers..this achieves great imaging..be SURE to get tweeters that swivel in their pods so you can direct the right side at the driver and the left side at the paassenger seat, so you dont end up with off balance music..
Old 12-21-2003, 07:30 PM
Im izz sexay

OK thanks for the advice. The tweeters that I saw on ebay say that they have built in crossovers so should I still buy a crossover for better performance.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:52 PM

You should be ok with the built in cross-over, as long as its cut-off is somwhere near 4000hz..
Old 12-21-2003, 09:03 PM

if u wont good sounding speakers go with mb quarts ihave them in my gxe i can't say anything bad about them
Old 12-21-2003, 09:13 PM

MB Quarts are also more than a HS student can afford without saving for 3 months...I'd rather have Kicker Resolution 6.75" midbass than MB Quart in the rear anyway..I'd put Quarts in the front if I could afford them, but I can't, so I wont..
Old 12-21-2003, 09:35 PM

if u wont good sounding speakers go with mb quarts ihave them in my gxe i can't say anything bad about them

I would also reconmend Boston Acoustics and Infiinty. I have B.A. RM6 (6.5") in the rear and the sound quality is amazing.

good luck with the system
Old 12-21-2003, 09:42 PM

yep, i recently got a pair of boston acoustics 4x6s to replace the pioneers i had in there. sounds MUCH nicer. i'd recommend them
Old 12-21-2003, 11:17 PM

..I'd like to get a pair of BA 4x6's for the front for mine, but crutchfield doesn't carry them, and the nearest local dealer is 78 miles away

happen to know of another online dealer? I want to compare actual prices to e-bay, rather than BAs reccomended price..

Thanks
Old 12-22-2003, 07:34 AM

there's no online boston acoustics dealer that i know of. i think they're only sold in stores.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:04 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

About rear adapter mounts?

Can u please clarify the following:
Are u saying that if I pull out the stock audio components and mounts in rear on my 89 GXE I can remove the existing bose speaker/amp component and place a 6x9" speaker in its place?

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Get stock bose speaker adapters for the rear and problem solved Bose had 6*9s in the rear
Old 12-22-2003, 08:40 AM

the cutouts for 3rd gens are the same. just that cars with the bose system have a adapter for the 6x9s. cheapest way to get one is to go to a junkyard and look for one
Old 12-22-2003, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
the cutouts for 3rd gens are the same. just that cars with the bose system have a adapter for the 6x9s. cheapest way to get one is to go to a junkyard and look for one
Yep, what he said
Old 12-22-2003, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by turdlett
So kenwood it is. Thanks a lot
Make sure you avoid the "D-MASK" feature that kenwood has to offer - it's that rotating front face plate, or hiding face plate as some like to call it. I had bought one this past summer (KDC-715s I think) and ony day as it was opening it just stopped half-way... what had happened was the "IDE"-style cable that connected the faceplate to the actual unit got pinched, and subsequently damaged while the face was unhiding itself - there goes $280 CAD... that little cable cannot be replaced easily... what a waste... now I'm stuck with a Sony . Oh and BTW the Sony decks cannot produce clear audio... their lows are too overpowering, and they're highs are almost non-existent - IMO stay away from Sony and Kenwood, no matter how enticing the deck is. Lastly I hear the Clarion decks are quite good.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Got Part 1, proceed to part 2

1 I have a 89 GXE/with BOSE
2 I want to upgrade rear speakers to 6x9 and
save myself an extra trip to the junk yard.
Can I re-cycling the existing adapter from the original Bose
unit on the rear deck?
In other words, removing my existing unit ,
dis-assembling the components,
tossing the old speaker and amp and leaving adapter
for mounting a new 6x9?

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
Old 12-22-2003, 12:35 PM
mod or sell?

Yup, That's what I did. just pulled the old speakers, Cut the wires and put the "new" one's in
Old 12-22-2003, 12:42 PM

my 90 maxima se with bose has 6x9 in the rear deck.....
I used the factory speaker wiring just cut the wires.

I would check out the new alpine mp3 player its silver and looks/sounds real good. Its also pretty cheap.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:31 AM

if you avoid the obnoxious kenwood face hiding feature, they're a LOT better than clarion..my truck has a clarion in it that I let somone talk me into buying..never again..If I had speakers in my truck, I'd be buying a h/u for it..but somone took the dash apart carefully and took my aftermarket front speakers, my aftermarket rear speakers, and left the h/u..if that tells you anything about clarion..(the fronts were pioneer, the rears were kenwood 4x10s)

Or, if you want cheap and good sounding, pioneer headunits are almost always a good middle end unit..I'm not very experienced with Alpine..I'll back Kenwood and Pioneer products all the way though..I do agree that Kenwood's face hiding idea sucks, but they still sound good..
Old 12-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Im izz sexay

Would it be better to place the midbasses in the front doors and have the 3-way speakers in the rear or have it the other way around?

Quick Reply: Audio System Advice For GXE