3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

custom LED front bumper lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003 | 04:59 AM

custom LED front bumper lights

whats up everyone. this is what xmas break does to a college student. we get so bored, it makes us build unneccesary things!(omg that sounded so nerdy!)
anyways, this took about 3 hours total. i also left out that inner light diffuser. but now that i look at it, i might just pop it back in so you dont see the LEDs itself but rather the light. they look bluish but i think thats from the yellow light and red bumper. but they are white. theyre also bright enough to light up the floor 2-3 feet infront of the bumper...wow.

www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_ledlights_right.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_led_lights_hl_off.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_led_lights_hl on.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_led_lights.jpg

if im still bored this coming weekend, its angel eyes for me!
Old 12-21-2003 | 05:06 AM

very cool, been visiting the general forum eh?
Old 12-21-2003 | 05:07 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by makeuw3t
whats up everyone. this is what xmas break does to a college student. we get so bored, it makes us build unneccesary things!(omg that sounded so nerdy!)
anyways, this took about 3 hours total. i also left out that inner light diffuser. but now that i look at it, i might just pop it back in so you dont see the LEDs itself but rather the light. they look bluish but i think thats from the yellow light and red bumper. but they are white. theyre also bright enough to light up the floor 2-3 feet infront of the bumper...wow.

www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_ledlights_right.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_led_lights_hl_off.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maxima/m_led_lights_hl on.jpg
www.jeddy.net/maixma/m_led_lights.jpg

if im still bored this coming weekend, its angel eyes for me!
I'm impressed! They look very bright - especially with the headlights off. We need to talk, you and I. I'm working on something similar and might need some input.

(oh, and the 4th picture is saying "The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.")
Old 12-21-2003 | 05:14 AM

wow, you guys are quick at replying!!!!

but yeah, ill try to help you out on any questions you might have. i was gonna do a pic by pic DIY write up but it actually went so fast, by the time i got one light done, i just noticed i didnt take any pics of the process.

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
(oh, and the 4th picture is saying "The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.")
oh, i think i just fixed this problem, it should work now, i jsut tried it like 15 times! (which is good cause that was my favorite pic )
Old 12-21-2003 | 06:29 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by makeuw3t
wow, you guys are quick at replying!!!!

but yeah, ill try to help you out on any questions you might have. i was gonna do a pic by pic DIY write up but it actually went so fast, by the time i got one light done, i just noticed i didnt take any pics of the process.

oh, i think i just fixed this problem, it should work now, i jsut tried it like 15 times! (which is good cause that was my favorite pic )
We're quick because me and Juan have nothing better to do but to troll the forums looking for new posts.
(that, and that I'm at work...)

Yeah, that 4th pic IS pretty nice. You'll probably need that diffuser, just to split up the light some.
Old 12-21-2003 | 10:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What happened to your signals?

I made arrays of 12 Amber LED's in my bumper lights. It looks alright, but not very bright even though they were 5000mcd.... I think it's because I put them IN the diffuser, not behind. Oh well, just an experiment anyway.
Old 12-21-2003 | 11:31 AM

COol

Looks awesome!! Is the lens cover the stock one? How do you keep it so clear after so many years?
Old 12-21-2003 | 11:46 AM

nice look
wait, do you hoes lights set up at Driving lights.. or are they still signals?
? do u have water problems with that light housing? or humidity?
Old 12-21-2003 | 12:59 PM

We're quick because me and Juan have nothing better to do but to troll the forums looking for new posts.
(that, and that I'm at work...)

Yeah, that 4th pic IS pretty nice. You'll probably need that diffuser, just to split up the light some.
early in the morning and i cant do anything else. i fixed my friends bodykit today though, he shpould be happy, he's been waiting months for it...........
Old 12-21-2003 | 01:18 PM

i mounted the LEDs on a peice of plexi glass infront of the stock bulb and wired the LEDs to my parking lights. so my signals do still work and a regular 27w bulb will show through behind the whiteness. LEDs arent that bright so these ones are mainly for aesthetic reasons. my brake lights will be a different story.

the leds i got were rated at 8k mcd at 20mA but i kept overdriving them until i hit over 55mA and they still kept a really nice white light purity so im currently bombarding them with 50mA. yeah, the lifetime of these LEDs are cut in half and i do expect them to get dimmer in about 6 months. i am planning on dropping it down to about 40-45mA in the near future. also, because LEDs are directional, theyre only painfully blinding when you look directly into them. so standing infront of the car, they wont be blinding bright, unless we can see your feet in your drivers license picture.

the bumper light is the stock bumper light from 1993. its clear like that because i took out the inner light diffuser. i could be wrong and yours could have fogged but mine are from 1993....but i wash my car every so often in any normal fashion...check your lens to see if its genuine nissan. itll say nissan on it.

the bumper light itself i did no cutting or dismantaling to in any way except for 2 tiny pin size holes in the back for the wires. so i shouldnt have a prob with humidity or water. theyre still like they use to be. im a big fan of being able to convert back to stock.
Old 12-21-2003 | 01:34 PM
Im izz sexay

Does anyone make these for sale
Old 12-21-2003 | 03:49 PM

damn it u took my idea except i want to put them on my mirrors. but hey man good job i love them.
Old 12-21-2003 | 04:04 PM

wow those look really nice and bright, good job man
Old 12-21-2003 | 08:00 PM
e_is_chillin

WOW! I'm impressed. Looks Great!
Old 12-21-2003 | 08:34 PM
Im izz sexay

I just want to know how da hell can you do this. Give me a write up or something because I'll hook da max up. Pleez. This is too hot to let go of.
Old 12-22-2003 | 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
early in the morning and i cant do anything else. i fixed my friends bodykit today though, he shpould be happy, he's been waiting months for it...........

Maybe you can fix mine haha

....................Anyways, great job on the LED's. Those are hot! Yes, please do a write up!!!!
Old 12-22-2003 | 03:41 AM
e_is_chillin

yeah, write up pls...
Old 12-22-2003 | 01:11 PM

can you say...JUMP OFF!!!!!! SWEEEEEEET JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not jealousy...its not envy...thas love...sweeet job.....LOOKS HOTTTT KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MAN!!
Old 12-22-2003 | 04:34 PM

I know it's not nearly as cool as white/blue but I did amber in mine a few weeks ago. I only have one side so far, so I can experiment on it; but I used 13 5000mcd Amber LED's in 4/5/4 per row.

Here's links to pics:
http://www.ghettomods.net/albums/alb...1495.sized.jpg
http://www.ghettomods.net/albums/alb...1494.sized.jpg
http://www.ghettomods.net/albums/alb...1496.sized.jpg

makeuw3t: So am I seeing properly that your signals and the LED's are not connected? As in, the LED's can be on with the fogs etc... ?

Not trying to steal your thread, just consolidating similar projects.
Old 12-22-2003 | 04:55 PM
Im izz sexay

How is this done pleez make a write up for those not as talented
Old 12-22-2003 | 10:08 PM

damn, those look pretty sharp.
Old 12-22-2003 | 10:37 PM

thanx for all the +++++ commentes guys! maybe ill go further and do the tails for sure! but im gonna be getting pretty busy with xmas shopping and then im off to frisco for a few days so i dunno if i can get a write-up up so soon. maybe after the new years. sorry.

Spipedong90,
the links you gave dont work for me...maybe its my damn dial up modem. but im sure yours look great too! i was thinking of a 5/6 set up too but then decided to go with them all in a row. but anyways, i put my leds on a peice of plexi and are wired seperately from the turn signals so yes, the leds can be on with fogs, parking lights, head lights, etc...how ever you want to wire them. i didnt cut the stock bulb out or any of the wires. think of it as wiring up a regular bulb and gluing it to the outside of the turn signal. it pretty much has nothing to do with the turn signal. i could have put it on top of my hood and they still would have worked. confusing?

but anyways, if you guys want the LED look, seriously, DO IT YOURSELF!!! check this site out. they do custom LED stuff and for the more popular cars, they already have stuff thats build.

warning!!!! .::BEWARE OF HIGH PRICES::. they will make you say "HOLY ******* ****!" out loud, or something similar.

www.clearcorners.com

no offense guys(at clearcorners.com) but im not advertising, those prices are ridiculous.

btw, parts in total cost me less than 10 bucks for both lights plus i have left over leds. i guess clearcorners can offer you some sort of waranty if they fail and also the labor. but serioulsy, it was easy. if you can hold a drill and soldering iron, this is a breeze.
Old 12-22-2003 | 11:57 PM

Okay, as much as I fear getting railed by the org based in the previous posts I still have to ask.

What did you actually do?

All I can tell from the pictures is that the lights that normally illuminate the corners when you signal with the headlights on both stay on all the time.

I certianly don't have a problem with such a mod, but umm . . . why?

I probably just am not seeing what everone else is in these pics.
Old 12-23-2003 | 12:09 AM

ahh, my web server was down for the last few hours.... The pics work again.

And yes folks: Bright LED's are not cheap at all.
Old 12-23-2003 | 12:22 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by kingcarnage
Okay, as much as I fear getting railed by the org based in the previous posts I still have to ask.

What did you actually do?

All I can tell from the pictures is that the lights that normally illuminate the corners when you signal with the headlights on both stay on all the time.

I certianly don't have a problem with such a mod, but umm . . . why?

I probably just am not seeing what everone else is in these pics.

I think the whole idea, kingcarnage, was the 'swapping' of the regular bulb for a more effecient LED bulb. Which is pretty much what both Spipedong90 and makeuw3t did. Correct me if I'm wrong, fellas.

Although, in retrospect, I'd probably do mine and have them come on/off like they normally do (turn signals).

Oh, and did I see makeuw3t mention something about tail lights??
Old 12-23-2003 | 12:42 PM

I'd like to see some LED tail lights for the 3rd gen like the G35 or the originator of LED tails, the Caddy. I had this idea when I first saw the caddy's tail lights a few years ago but didn't have the money or knowledge to make them.. Regular red LED's used to cost like 4 dollars a piece back then.
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:57 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by johnnyo319
I'd like to see some LED tail lights for the 3rd gen like the G35 or the originator of LED tails, the Caddy. I had this idea when I first saw the caddy's tail lights a few years ago but didn't have the money or knowledge to make them.. Regular red LED's used to cost like 4 dollars a piece back then.
Well, maybe one day, someone will be entrepeneurial and "aggressive" enough to bust open a perfectly good pair of tail lights and take on that endeavor.

New year, new mods... new :
Old 12-26-2003 | 01:26 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

note to self... replace all bulbs with led's

(i dare someone to search for me saying that over a year ago... I dont think I'll ever get around to it )
Old 12-26-2003 | 02:10 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MrGone

(i dare someone to search for me saying that over a year ago... I dont think I'll ever get around to it )
I'll accept that dare except... dang! My donation hasn't gone through yet...
Old 12-26-2003 | 02:42 AM

I think the whole idea, kingcarnage, was the 'swapping' of the regular bulb for a more effecient LED bulb. Which is pretty much what both Spipedong90 and makeuw3t did. Correct me if I'm wrong, fellas.

Although, in retrospect, I'd probably do mine and have them come on/off like they normally do (turn signals).

Oh, and did I see makeuw3t mention something about tail lights??
i thought i mentioned it, but i guess i forgot. im not sure about others but my reason for this was purely aesthetic. does it do anything, no. they just turn on and off with the parking lights. its basically eye candy. now i could have linked them to my turn signals and made them blink on and off or blink and stay on(with the help of relays) but that would have given me fast blinkers(because of diferent watages and blah blah blah...its complicated). this way theyre on and the blubs behind it blink normally.

but yes, LEDs are more efficient and turn on and off much much faster. thats why bmw, mecedes, infinity, etc... use them. theyre better than regular. if i had time and the energy, id do the research and figure out how to correctly do the wiring so they blink correctly. but like i said in the begining, im on break and im bored!

as for the tails...maybe.
Old 12-26-2003 | 03:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

LEDs require less electricity to operate and have more light output than regular bulbs. They also dont emit as much heat and are can turn on/off much faster, have a outstanding life (ie. time before they burn out), and are smaller than conventional bulbs.

LED's are cool.
Then again so are christmas lights hehehehe
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:41 AM

kinda on the subject of LEDs, i have my instrument cluster sitting in my room. i want to change the bulbs to LEDs, but can't remember what type of bulbs they were. think they're 196, but anyone know for sure? thanks, and sorry for going off topic
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:46 AM
mod or sell?

194 is more like it
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:46 AM

thanks!
Old 12-26-2003 | 08:49 AM
mod or sell?

your welcome
Old 12-26-2003 | 11:18 AM
Im izz sexay

Is there a writeup on how to put 194's into the interior lights of the max?
Old 12-26-2003 | 11:45 AM
mod or sell?

OOPS! The dash light bulbs aren't listed
my bad
Old 12-26-2003 | 01:38 PM

Well, maybe one day, someone will be entrepeneurial and "aggressive" enough to bust open a perfectly good pair of tail lights and take on that endeavor.

New year, new mods... new :
Originally Posted by MrGone

already done on the rear LED conversion, mate - but I'll be posting pics after my whole interior is done, as well.The LEDs look much more like true red, vs. the stock bulbs amber glow (as noticed in my sig pic)

superbrighleds.com have decent prices, anyone know of better?
Old 12-27-2003 | 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by amaxima
already done on the rear LED conversion, mate - but I'll be posting pics after my whole interior is done, as well.The LEDs look much more like true red, vs. the stock bulbs amber glow (as noticed in my sig pic)

damn thats tight.. i gotta see these pics! i like your ride man, those rims are sweet. How many LEDs did you use for the tails, how much did it cost you? Also did you solder resisters to each individual LED?
Old 12-28-2003 | 04:58 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by amaxima

Dang! I might as well let the cat out of the bag, huh? I'm pretty much done with MY LED conversion, also. I'd been working on it for the past couple of months, in order to iron out some of the resistor problems I encountered.

I don't know how many it took for yours but in the end, it took me about 200 LED's per lens. It doesn't look too bad, though. I've still got to run some final 'tests', and then I'll post some pics.

Heck, I even made a pseudo write-up (with progress pics), to satisfy those that might wanna follow that trail. However, I probably should warn anyone considering it that it's NOT for the impatient or mathematically challenged.

Food for thought.... do the dishes!

Quick Reply: custom LED front bumper lights