3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

It just couldn't last to the end of the year...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:43 PM

It just couldn't last to the end of the year...

Well, add me to the growing list of tranny that need rebuilding. I'm experiencing a significant lag in shifting 1-2 (it's taken anywhere from 4000-5000+ RPMs before 1st shifts to 2nd), so the tranny is definitely heading to that junkyard in the sky. I'll still drive it for now, just not as often and I'll try to stick to local roads (then again, like today, all the traffic on the highways only needed me in 1st for the most part), and I'm looking for a rebuild within 2 weeks, probably after the New Years.

Since the tranny will get rebuilt, anything fit for upgrading while it's off? It'll be in a shop, so anything I need done, I figure since it'll be up there I might as well consider replacing other stuff. One thing was getting some old auto tranny mounts, fill them myself, and then when I get to the shop I'll ask them to use those instead of my current ones. Also considered doing the same with the motor mounts, but I'm not sure if that would require more labor.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM

If I were you, I would also do a VB mod and add a tranny cooler. Make sure you get your rebuild done by a good shop. I've heard of some rebuilds only lasting 10k miles.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:47 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

well depending on your budget you could do a valve body upgrade/recalibration or even get a higher stall torque converter
Old 12-22-2003, 05:48 PM
mod or sell?

Isn't there a place in new england that does the VB mods, Aaron?
Old 12-23-2003, 06:32 PM

I know Maximum Tuning in Long Island in NYC does the VB Mod and I'm seriously considering that & a tranny cooler. As for a higher stall torque converter, it never occurred to me so that's one more to add to my list.

As an update, I'm most likely taking it to a transmission shop 20 minutes away from me called Dolphin Transmissions (website is the same name). My mechanic uses them and since both shops do business with each other, I don't have to put any money upfront until the works done and then I could pick it up from my mechanic's shop. I'm going to drop it off tomorrow and the guy who I was referred to said it would only take one day, 2 tops, but since it's the holidays I'll tell him I wouldn't need it back until next week so there's no need to rush it.

Also, since I'll be dropping the Max off to them myself, I'll ask if he does VB Mods and for how much, but I doubt it since they don't seem to advertise themselves as being a tuning shop.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 PM

umm...make sure you ask aaron about his opinion considering his done quite a bit of research ....i'm not too sure about max tuning...i "think" i have heard their name crop up in a couple of places....oh and welcome to the "crap...my tranny has crapped out!" club
Old 12-24-2003, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by NYC 92 GXEr
Also, since I'll be dropping the Max off to them myself, I'll ask if he does VB Mods and for how much, but I doubt it since they don't seem to advertise themselves as being a tuning shop.

I wouldn't let anyone else do the vb mod, other than Max tunning. I've heard Aaron speak about other shops many times and from what I've gathered from all these threads, its a VERY bad idea to trust anyone else with this mod.