3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

dumb thieves..

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 03:21 AM

dumb thieves..

Ok..I think I just encountered a case of the most bizzare thing to steal..somone stole the 1.5"/2" PVC collection section of my forced cold air induction (technical name for my ghetto ram air)..the reason somone had to have stolen it, is because all 4 of the straps were cut with a knife..they're far enough apart that nothing could have bounced up and cut them..

Oh well..gives me an excuse to finish my NEW and IMPROVED 3" collector system and add a 12v high speed fan to accelerate the air at low speeds...
Old 12-26-2003, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
Ok..I think I just encountered a case of the most bizzare thing to steal..somone stole the 1.5"/2" PVC collection section of my forced cold air induction (technical name for my ghetto ram air)..the reason somone had to have stolen it, is because all 4 of the straps were cut with a knife..they're far enough apart that nothing could have bounced up and cut them..

Oh well..gives me an excuse to finish my NEW and IMPROVED 3" collector system and add a 12v high speed fan to accelerate the air at low speeds...
12v fan to accelerate the air at low speeds eh? too funny
Old 12-28-2003, 03:22 AM

got the idea from a buddy of mine's Camaro..the intake ran to a box that acted as a junction for the pipe that went through the fenderwell, and a 12v fan (high speed one too) was placed at the tube that went into the fenderwell to suck cold air into the box more efficiently at low RPMs..I've got a fan thats slightly slower, but otherwise the exact same thing..its not the kind of fans you see in trucks and busses and stuff that circulate air inside, it looks a lot like a computer powersupply fan, just a little bigger and not sensitive to moisture..
Old 12-28-2003, 04:06 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

got the idea from a buddy of mine's Camaro..the intake ran to a box that acted as a junction for the pipe that went through the fenderwell, and a 12v fan (high speed one too) was placed at the tube that went into the fenderwell to suck cold air into the box more efficiently at low RPMs..I've got a fan thats slightly slower, but otherwise the exact same thing..its not the kind of fans you see in trucks and busses and stuff that circulate air inside, it looks a lot like a computer powersupply fan, just a little bigger and not sensitive to moisture..
I sincerely HOPE you're joking about this fan thing... because do you realize much air that fan would have to FORCE into your intake (even at low RPM's) to make ANY kind of difference??

If you saw 1 ft/lb torque or 1 hp, I'd be extremely shocked!!! I'd think you'd be doing more harm than good with this "mod".
Old 12-28-2003, 06:08 AM
mod or sell?

It's an ebay supercharger!
But you can buy fans that actually push enough cfm to actually do some good. But the gains are negligble at best
Old 12-28-2003, 06:11 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by internetautomar
It's an ebay supercharger!
But you can buy fans that actually push enough cfm to actually do some good. But the gains are negligble at best

Not THAT POS!!! You'd have to get an upgraded alternator just to get that puppie running.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:59 AM
Im izz sexay

Do those Ebay Charrgers even work??
Old 12-28-2003, 09:21 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by turdlett
Do those Ebay Charrgers even work??
which would u rather have...
a square computer fan or a ebay charger>
Old 12-28-2003, 09:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

someone probably cracked their drain pipe in the house and didn't feel like going to the hardware store.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:44 AM

I bet you it looks something like this:

all it is is a boat bilge fan, can find them at:
http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/detai...QLID=MA-1733-1
Old 12-28-2003, 11:00 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by DanNY
which would u rather have...
a square computer fan or a ebay charger>
Neither!
I'd rather have a real blower
Old 12-28-2003, 11:42 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by internetautomar
Neither!
I'd rather have a real blower
Yeah.What he said!!
Old 12-28-2003, 02:18 PM

naw, y'all have it wrong..its a 4"x4" square fan thats a little over 3" deep..it will run safely at up to 20v, but at 12v its approx. 32,000 RPMs..when I connect it to a 12v battery, it will blow a spiral pattern of air noticeable at 18 ft...it will go on the engine side of the filter with some *slight* modification..it says on the side of the motor its a 15 amp load..I may never actually get it in place, but atleast I use my resources to come up with my own creative ideas instead of copying what everyone else has done and buying a pre-fab CAI kit and installing it through the fenderwell..people told me I was stupid for building a forced cold air induction out of flex tubing and pvc pipe..I did it anyway, and improved my gas mileage on the highway by about 15%..a few people locally told me I was being an idiot for polishing up the factory license plate frame and putting 2 sets of LED bolts on it, a set of red wired to the brake lights and a set of white wired to the backup lights, but I did it anyway, and I've gotten more positive comments than negative, including a few from police saying it was a great idea since it improves bad weather visibility, and it was one of the few red light additions that they would not pull anyone over for..Anyone else going to do somthing that makes everyone say "Why in the hell did you do that?"..I know some of you have already, so how many people thought you were dumb, or stupid, or a little crazy for doing somthing different? If all this fan was was a little square, low-power, quiet computer fan, I wouldn't have bothered to come up with a plan to actually do it, but I would have drawn the plans out on paper so if I ever found a better fan, I'd take it up as a real plan..Like I said, I may never do any of what I planned even though THIS fan will work, I can still plan it out..
Old 12-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Jedi Knight

naw, y'all have it wrong..its a 4"x4" square fan thats a little over 3" deep..it will run safely at up to 20v, but at 12v its approx. 32,000 RPMs..when I connect it to a 12v battery, it will blow a spiral pattern of air noticeable at 18 ft...it will go on the engine side of the filter with some *slight* modification..it says on the side of the motor its a 15 amp load..I may never actually get it in place, but atleast I use my resources to come up with my own creative ideas instead of copying what everyone else has done and buying a pre-fab CAI kit and installing it through the fenderwell..people told me I was stupid for building a forced cold air induction out of flex tubing and pvc pipe..I did it anyway, and improved my gas mileage on the highway by about 15%..a few people locally told me I was being an idiot for polishing up the factory license plate frame and putting 2 sets of LED bolts on it, a set of red wired to the brake lights and a set of white wired to the backup lights, but I did it anyway, and I've gotten more positive comments than negative, including a few from police saying it was a great idea since it improves bad weather visibility, and it was one of the few red light additions that they would not pull anyone over for..Anyone else going to do somthing that makes everyone say "Why in the hell did you do that?"..I know some of you have already, so how many people thought you were dumb, or stupid, or a little crazy for doing somthing different? If all this fan was was a little square, low-power, quiet computer fan, I wouldn't have bothered to come up with a plan to actually do it, but I would have drawn the plans out on paper so if I ever found a better fan, I'd take it up as a real plan..Like I said, I may never do any of what I planned even though THIS fan will work, I can still plan it out..

you don't get it do you...that won't help you u big dummy!!

Old 12-28-2003, 02:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

its an 80mm fan, or 92, or 120

and no it wont do a damn bit of good.

you will see bigger gains by taking off your hood.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:58 PM

for those of you who've changed your guage cluster to the white face, what "improvement" other than eye candy had it done for you? what about the leds in the cluster? what about the person(whom i forgot his SN) who put his cluster in the middle of his dash? and the people who got leather, or those who got power seats? what about those whove put strobes or those little led lights somewhere in your car?(yeah, dont play like you didnt do that!!!!) all these things that youve done... has it made your car faster? can you read your whatever with those led lights any better? does your skin feel better with leather?
my point is, good mods, we're all proud. some of us think its a waste to change your black cluters to white or get leather or power seats, but heck, whatever floats your boat.

let the man have his fan!
Old 12-28-2003, 10:16 PM

in that case I have some very cool adjustable fans, built in rheostats. That way you can adjust them for the ideal ammount of performance.

they are blue with clear blades, helped me obtain a respectable clockspeed on my computer until the motherboard took a dump at the last LAN Party.
Old 12-28-2003, 11:38 PM

that was an even better reaction..

Originally Posted by DanNY
someone probably cracked their drain pipe in the house and didn't feel like going to the hardware store.
I got so busy wondering how much hate and discontent I was about to cause I forgot to reply to a legit answer..If thats what somone stole it for, they may find it hard to adapt a 1.25" 90 degree street elbow, a 1.25/1.25/2.0 "y", and the 2 rolls of electrical tape that I used to make an adaptor to fit the flex tube to it, to the rest of their drain system..that and it was spraypainted with cheap flat black paint that was flaking off..

I had little intention of actually putting a fan in my intake (initial reaction brought out the mischievous horns , and I figured by April, there wouldn't be anything this good left to take advantage of, so, would this be December Fools? ), although taking a stab at causing people to freak over somthing did give me an idea to use fan BLADES and stick them in the intake tube as a home-made version of those tornado things, if those things really even do any good..

I was serious about the LED bolts in the license plate frame, and my old forced induction system before somone stole the collector..
Old 12-29-2003, 12:36 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

I got so busy wondering how much hate and discontent I was about to cause I forgot to reply to a legit answer..If thats what somone stole it for, they may find it hard to adapt a 1.25" 90 degree street elbow, a 1.25/1.25/2.0 "y", and the 2 rolls of electrical tape that I used to make an adaptor to fit the flex tube to it, to the rest of their drain system..that and it was spraypainted with cheap flat black paint that was flaking off..

I had little intention of actually putting a fan in my intake (initial reaction brought out the mischievous horns , and I figured by April, there wouldn't be anything this good left to take advantage of, so, would this be December Fools? ), although taking a stab at causing people to freak over somthing did give me an idea to use fan BLADES and stick them in the intake tube as a home-made version of those tornado things, if those things really even do any good..

I was serious about the LED bolts in the license plate frame, and my old forced induction system before somone stole the collector..
Chris, if I sounded condesending(sp), then I apologize. I'll be the first to admit that I know about as much on the subject of forced induction as you (or anyone else here, for that matter) do on the job I do.

I certainly can't speak for everyone else here, but the ONLY reason I commented like I did, was to point out that I was rather skeptical on what gains you'd get with this mod and if it would be more of a detriment than an asset.

I've heard nothing but bad things concerning this type of modification, and wanted to convey that to you in the most straightforward (and unthinking, in retrospect) way I could think of.

Of course, if you're going through with this at some point in time, feel free to hit me up with any wiring advice you need - I'm helpful like that.

And just like that post about the guy that wants to attempt to do a RWD conversion, I'd be really curious to see the end result of your work.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:38 AM

naw, I wouldn't bother putting a complete fan on the intake of a max without doing some SERIOUS modding..and it wouldn't be one of these..they ARE a high speed cooling fan off of a (you're NOT going to believe the name of this thing) Nuclear Magnetic Resonant Spectrophotometer(sp), but not a high CFM fan..I used one of them to make a neat little conversation piece involving tiny styrofoam ***** in a plexiglass case..when the fan was turned on, the styrofoam would kind of whirlwind through the box, which, if it were a high CFM fan, would in theory be an improvment..

My actual intention of my first follow-up post was to take a sarcastic comment and run with it to see who would take me seriously and who would catch on to being a pre-april fools joke..I plan my April-fools jokes months ahead, but I don't think this one would have had the same impact if I had waited that long..

I'm DEFINITELY going to strap my 3" pvc collectors on underneith the car again and see how bad they look though..the old 1.25" or 1.5", I really dont remember which I used, that was neatly cut off improved gas mileage on the highway, so I imagine 3" collectors will do every bit as well..I've got a pic of the old ones that I'll post after I get this batch of pics developed, and I'll take a pic of the 3" ones..I might just rebuild the small ones or leave the single 1.25" flex tube sticking straight forward for awhile..its still more cold air than it was getting before, so it really can't hurt, and I'm getting tired of buying/cutting/glueing/painting pvc pipe to retro-fit intakes..I don't really like the pre-fab CAI kits since it seems like it would be somwhat difficult to clean the filter every 50k (actually, every 10k in my case..filters get dirty driving on gravel roads), Although I may have to break down and buy a conical pop-charger style filter instead of the k&n factory replacement I have now and just try to isolate the filter from the engine the best I can and channel some cold air into that chamber..

tomorrow I'll spend some time at hardware stores looking at some different things I can use to isolate the filter and bring cold air in without having a big ugly pipe on the bottom of the car..who knows, I may end up building/selling ram-air kits for 3rd gens some day
Old 12-29-2003, 01:50 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

...Nuclear Magnetic Resonant Spectrophotometer(sp)...
Oh, now THAT is funny!!!
Old 12-29-2003, 02:37 AM

tooo much typing (it's late/earily)
Old 12-29-2003, 03:25 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MrGone
tooo much typing (it's late/earily)
Go back to sleep, Shawn... we'll wake you when it's done.
Old 12-29-2003, 03:30 AM

i havent gone to sleep yet, and now I'm chatting with maxima people, and your not online.

your work sucks

Old 12-29-2003, 03:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

So, that makes me a part of this "maxima people" gang that you refer to all the time?
Old 12-29-2003, 04:19 AM

no dave, you are refered to as and maybe
Old 12-29-2003, 05:25 AM
mod or sell?

Beatch slap to both of ya
Old 12-29-2003, 05:26 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Owtch! Now THAT's just below the belt..
Old 12-29-2003, 05:34 AM

atleast I dont forget the T in my name
Old 12-29-2003, 05:39 AM
OG Maxima.org Member

Uh, Shawn.... you don't HAVE a "t" in your name
Old 12-29-2003, 05:40 AM

heheheehehehe
Old 12-29-2003, 09:42 AM
mod or sell?

I didn't forget it the .org has a 15 character maximum.
And of course you didn't forget the "T" YOU DON'T HAVE ONE
cause you ain't worthy
Old 12-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
Oh, now THAT is funny!!!
yay for government surplus auctions..my old man thought he could sell it and a mainframe (one from the mid '80s) , and an old weather radar station and make a profit ..he ended up donating the radar station to a really small airport for a tax break, I gutted most of the mainframe for fans (used all of them for air exchangers in our house and the apt. bldg we own), copper, gold(solder) and silver (wires and solder), and the NMRSP is sitting in storage because it weighs 1800lbs and is only 6 ft long, 4 ft tall, and 3 ft wide..I know the two electromagnet cores on it are over 400 lbs each without all the wire that is wrapped around them..
Old 12-30-2003, 05:02 PM

pictures
Old 12-30-2003, 05:23 PM

isn't it internetautomar(y)
Old 12-30-2003, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rymo926
isn't it internetautomar(y)
hehehehe

I give him too much crap,
then again I help out too