3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Sulfur smell from exhaust system but it's all brand new ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 06:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sulfur smell from exhaust system but it's all brand new ??

I just had a 2.5" Magnaflow Cat, 2.5" WSP b-pipe, and straight thru muffler added to my WSP Y-pipe a few weeks ago. The tone and the results have been very good for now but I notice there is a sulfur/rotten egg like smell that I lightly smell from time to time. I doubt it's the converter because I bought it brand new from redlinemax.com (thanx Angie) so I'm guessing there is possibly a leak where they didn't weld something properly before the convertor. The converter was welded to the b-pipe and a flange was welded on to the front of the converter to bolt to the y-pipe. Could it be a gasket leak or a place where they didn't weld between the flange and the converter?? And I was wondering would it be bad to have the whole system welded as one (meaning no flanges, everything one whole piece) and has anybody already done this to their exhaust?
Old 12-31-2003, 06:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the only time you'd smell rotten eggs is if the converter is toast. a non-converter system won't smell like rotten egss. more than likely the welding nearly the converter ruined it. happened to my converter when it was swapped from my car to the gxe.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by mtcookson
the only time you'd smell rotten eggs is if the converter is toast. a non-converter system won't smell like rotten egss. more than likely the welding nearly the converter ruined it. happened to my converter when it was swapped from my car to the gxe.
The smell is not coming from the rear of the car. The smell is coming from under the car. Thats why I'm guessing there must be a leak. Would a leak in the pipe before the converter cause this smell? And how did it ruin your converter ? Sorry that happened by the way..........
Old 12-31-2003, 07:07 PM

naw, its fine. my dad wanted the cat on the gxe and i didn't want the cat so i let him have it.

i think most likely the welding heated up the stuff inside and ruined it... but i really have no clue. you might have a leak right after the cat if you smell it from under the car.
Old 12-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Seperated at Birth?

when mine smelled like eggs, it was when I used really ****ty gas. put in some Chevron, smelled like a champ!
Old 12-31-2003, 10:22 PM

Some guy a couple months ago in super street had a ques. about that same smell and they told him it was watered down/cheapo gas that he was using, and he could either change the brand of gas or buy this bottle of scent that you empty into you gas tank and they make different scents, but i cant remeber what its called, you could probably do a search, I hope this helps
Old 01-01-2004, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
I just had a 2.5" Magnaflow Cat, 2.5" WSP b-pipe, and straight thru muffler added to my WSP Y-pipe a few weeks ago. The tone and the results have been very good for now but I notice there is a sulfur/rotten egg like smell that I lightly smell from time to time. I doubt it's the converter because I bought it brand new from redlinemax.com (thanx Angie) so I'm guessing there is possibly a leak where they didn't weld something properly before the convertor. The converter was welded to the b-pipe and a flange was welded on to the front of the converter to bolt to the y-pipe. Could it be a gasket leak or a place where they didn't weld between the flange and the converter?? And I was wondering would it be bad to have the whole system welded as one (meaning no flanges, everything one whole piece) and has anybody already done this to their exhaust?
If it's all brand new then it may just be the system burning in. That usually means any paint or coatings are doing their final "cure". Also any oils or other agents are burning off. If it doesn't stop in a week or two then it's something else entirely.
Old 01-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally Posted by shoult
If it's all brand new then it may just be the system burning in. That usually means any paint or coatings are doing their final "cure". Also any oils or other agents are burning off. If it doesn't stop in a week or two then it's something else entirely.

ding ding ding...there's your answer
Old 01-02-2004, 10:16 AM
Im izz sexay

When I had a bad exhaust the tube coming from the exhaust headers to the converter was busted. Hopefully if it wasn't the burning coats it might be that
Old 01-02-2004, 12:44 PM

Well I had the exhaust looked at today and the welder did a SH*TTY AZZ JOB !! It looked like he had a seizure while welding. He burnt the gasket(I don't know how) and the weld has like small holes between the cat and the front flange. Never let your brother take your car to a shop while your at work !! Anyway I'm thinking of having the y-pipe just welded to the cat and making the exhaust one whole piece. That should be okay right ?
Old 01-15-2004, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
Well I had the exhaust looked at today and the welder did a SH*TTY AZZ JOB !! It looked like he had a seizure while welding. He burnt the gasket(I don't know how) and the weld has like small holes between the cat and the front flange. Never let your brother take your car to a shop while your at work !! Anyway I'm thinking of having the y-pipe just welded to the cat and making the exhaust one whole piece. That should be okay right ?
The imports typically use flanged joints, the domestics usually do not. There should be no problem if you weld the two together as long as you still have a hanger of some sort to hold it up since the flex sections are designed only to flex not to support weight.

If we did not change our exhaust out so much on our Maxima and our new Armada I would probably weld it solid.

regards
Dallas

WarpSpeed Performance
Old 01-15-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Chris91SE
ding ding ding...there's your answer
All of a sudden I was reminded of JDwyer and when he first got the duals, lol.