3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.
View Poll Results: How should I set up my exhaust?
cat>resonator>dual out muffler>pipes to each side
23.08%
cat>resonator>splitter>pipes>dual mufflers
38.46%
hang muffler in factory location and just have dual tips
38.46%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

dual exhaust..to do or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004 | 01:44 AM

dual exhaust..to do or not?

Ok, I'm going to make up a list of mods and stick to it, but I have a couple of questions..

number 3 or 4 on the list will be a new muffler..I'm planning on a magnaflow universal fit 2.5" inlet dual 2.5" outlets..however, I'm not sure if I should just put dual tips on it and put it in the factory location or if I should put it closer to the cat and run dual pipes off the outlets to opposite sides of the car in real dual exhaust appearance..I know the latter would look pretty good and might improve performance some, but I don't know if its worth the trouble of having to have pipes custom bent and have to adapt a resonator between the cat and muffler after I change the rest of the exhaust which will come later..the first one would look alright, but it would be pretty plain and I would have to buy the tips separately (ok, I would have to do that either way, but still..)

I know dual exhaust has been done, and I'm going to research for how-to's and such, but I want people's opinions before I start working..opinions from everyone that has installed dual exhaust as to whether it was worth the hassel, how it sounds, time to install, and if there are any really noteable problem areas would be greatly appreciated..

I suppose I could just split the pipe at the cat, install the resonator before the split, and hang 2 mufflers, but that would be kind of a pain too..tomorrow if the weather holds I'll start looking under the car for some mounting options..
Old 01-03-2004 | 01:18 PM
Donating member? what the?!

The twin exhaust thing is getting old.
IMO, unless it's a big truck, japanese imports shouldn't need dual exhausts. I don't see a significance in it.
The two exhausts share the same catalytic converter
So, the only help I see is decreasing back pressure after the cat., but then it also means that now you have two mufflers to take care of.

I would have voted for the 1 muffler set back and 2 pipes running out, but make sure the muffler is well hidden so that people don't try to knock you. That should look alright. It's just the 2 muffler thing that bugs me.

my opinon has been "exhaust"ed... good luck

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
Ok, I'm going to make up a list of mods and stick to it, but I have a couple of questions..

number 3 or 4 on the list will be a new muffler..I'm planning on a magnaflow universal fit 2.5" inlet dual 2.5" outlets..however, I'm not sure if I should just put dual tips on it and put it in the factory location or if I should put it closer to the cat and run dual pipes off the outlets to opposite sides of the car in real dual exhaust appearance..I know the latter would look pretty good and might improve performance some, but I don't know if its worth the trouble of having to have pipes custom bent and have to adapt a resonator between the cat and muffler after I change the rest of the exhaust which will come later..the first one would look alright, but it would be pretty plain and I would have to buy the tips separately (ok, I would have to do that either way, but still..)

I know dual exhaust has been done, and I'm going to research for how-to's and such, but I want people's opinions before I start working..opinions from everyone that has installed dual exhaust as to whether it was worth the hassel, how it sounds, time to install, and if there are any really noteable problem areas would be greatly appreciated..

I suppose I could just split the pipe at the cat, install the resonator before the split, and hang 2 mufflers, but that would be kind of a pain too..tomorrow if the weather holds I'll start looking under the car for some mounting options..
Old 01-03-2004 | 06:20 PM
mod or sell?

NO MUFFLER!
that's the way to go.
Just one big ol' tailpipe stickin' out from under the bumper
Old 01-03-2004 | 11:18 PM

you cant fit 2 mufflers on the back of a 3rd gen without crunching up the spare tire well, theres no room on the left side of the rear undercarriage area for it

i made a thread awhile back when i originally thought of doing this (i still want to) with a diagram and such
Old 01-03-2004 | 11:37 PM

well, if I were to go this route, I'd use glass-packs..they're thin enough to fit, and it can't sound worse than a Probe that runs around here with them..Its looking like I'll end up using 1 muffler and either running dual pipes or just stick dual tips on 1 muffler
Old 01-04-2004 | 02:49 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Like Maximan190 said, it's not really possible to run 2 mufflers without caving in or chopping the spare tire well. Even flyry had to do that with his round straight-through mufflers....

Glasspacks would be crazy loud I imagine, even with a cat and resonator.

The more I thought about and looked into this whole dual exhaust thing, the more I was convinced the stock SE muffler looks good already.
Old 01-04-2004 | 06:28 AM
mod or sell?

SCREW the muffler!
Go straight pipe!
Old 01-04-2004 | 09:40 AM

I think you should have 2 mufflers, put one on each side comming out under the rear passengers side door infront of the gas tank... Then you don't have to mess with the spare tire well
Old 01-04-2004 | 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se
I think you should have 2 mufflers, put one on each side comming out under the rear passengers side door infront of the gas tank... Then you don't have to mess with the spare tire well

Well, I could do that, except its kinda illegal..
Old 01-04-2004 | 04:25 PM

why is it illegal? Geeze... So much for "land of the free" ...
Old 01-04-2004 | 04:28 PM

in Missouri anyway, your exhaust pipes are required to extend past the back of the passenger compartment..in a pickup they can cut down or out after its 1 ft into the bed area
Old 01-04-2004 | 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Bman
Like Maximan190 said, it's not really possible to run 2 mufflers without caving in or chopping the spare tire well. Even flyry had to do that with his round straight-through mufflers....

Glasspacks would be crazy loud I imagine, even with a cat and resonator.

The more I thought about and looked into this whole dual exhaust thing, the more I was convinced the stock SE muffler looks good already.
yea if i dont do duals, thats my fall back ill just get a nice looking dual tipped muffler

but everytime i see this pic i go back to duals envy

Old 01-04-2004 | 05:58 PM

Burn Unit

Originally Posted by Ninty-two-se

i love thoes tail-pipe burns on my legs.. mm... they last all week long

but def. a cool thing
Old 01-04-2004 | 08:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm pretty sure the law about tailpipes having to exit rear of the passenger compartment has to do with people dying of asphyxiation because of carbon monoxide entering the cabin. Mainly an issue with hot rodders and such terminating the pipe just before the rear axle, but if the law isn't specific enough then side exit pipes might be included in it. Check it out though - maybe side pipes are okay.
Old 01-07-2004 | 08:23 PM

here's an idea:

First, I'll figure out a way to reverse some headers so they stick up..Then I'll cut all the neccessary holes in the hood and have 6 pipes 4 ft in the air angles toward the sides..yeah..thats what I'll do..then I'll put flamethrowers on each pipe, yeah..and I'll paint the pipes light purple and the rest of the car bright pink..and put chrome door handles on it..and, green wheels, and coral pink neons...and I'll redo all of the interior carpet with purple **** carpeting, yeah thats it..then, I'll take out the back seat and open the car into the trunk completely and put a mattress in it..put a microwave on the rear deck and a flip down 36" plasma TV on the ceiling..

that was all in extreme sarcasm, I thought everyone could use a good laugh..I just hijacked my own post..no one else run off with it too ..anyone actually heard a max with glass packs? I mean THAT seriously..I wanna know if it sounds decent or if it sounds ricey..I suppose I could buy a glass pack and clamp it on in place of my muffler and see how it sounds..that way if I don't like the way it sounds on the max, I can stick it on my truck..theres a place here that sells 12" glass packs for $20 each, is the only reason I'd try it..glass packs would fit on each side of the spare tire well without cutting, I think...they're only like 4" O.D. for a 2.5" I.D. GP..too cold and snowy out for me to go measure..if anyone feels up to it tomorrow or tonight or somthing if its warm where you live, would you mind measuring to see how much room there is on the left side of the spare tire well, and maybe look for hanging places? I don't mind pioneering as long as I'm not running COMPLETELY blind..
Old 01-07-2004 | 08:42 PM

i would go with dual tip muffler or the one that is oval like the euro tuners have ....mmmmmmm SO SEXY
Old 01-07-2004 | 08:46 PM

thats kinda plain..I'd like to see smoke comming out of pipes on each side of the car..
Old 01-07-2004 | 09:10 PM

Here's a few for eye candy...

Old 01-07-2004 | 09:12 PM

And my favorite!!!

Old 01-07-2004 | 10:20 PM

real duals..

Old 01-08-2004 | 05:30 AM
mod or sell?

true duals with a purpose and an H pipe!
Nice traction bar setup too.
mandrel bent pipes too
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:33 PM
Donating member? what the?!

Originally Posted by internetautomar

true duals with a purpose and an H pipe!
Nice traction bar setup too.
mandrel bent pipes too

NOW THAT's what DUALs are!!!

Look at them... aren't they beautiful? If a Maxima could do that... man, call me up! (of course without too much gutting of the car's underbody).

very nice duallie pic.
Old 01-08-2004 | 07:27 PM

I think I'll do dual glass packs..cat>resonator>glasspacks>tailpipe>camaro style tips(magnaflow part #35150) (depending on price)..or, hm, I wonder if I could use truck style resonated tips rather than a resonator to get the same tone-smoothing effect?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/tips/singlewall.htm
Old 01-08-2004 | 07:44 PM

Oh, and I'm afraid all of my exhaust is going to be put on a waiting list for a little while..my insurance was raised another $60 (now $695 every 6 months for liability only with no tickets or accidents) for no reason (well, their reason is "single male under 21 years of age")..and yes, its the cheapest quote from every major and every local company I could find..so, I have enough planned out to buy an e-bay FSTB and a Blehmco RSTB, then I have to save for insurance, then comes the exhaust (if nothing blows up in my face)
Old 01-09-2004 | 04:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SeaMAX

What kind of spoiler is on that maxima?
Old 01-09-2004 | 04:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by SeaMAX

those duals look great.
Old 01-09-2004 | 06:04 PM

That red car's Bad ***