3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anybody With Valve Body Mods ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Anybody With Valve Body Mods ??

I want to get the 2nd Gen Valve Body Mod from Maximum Tuning but I don't know which stage to get. I think I have more than enough mods for stage 1 and enough for stage 2 but I kinda want something between 2 and 3. Anybody have the vb mod done to their autos and how different did it feel?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:45 PM

I installed the transgo shift kit in my 93se. First and second are real quick and firm. Not much was done to third and fourth (that I can remember). I did the modifications and installation myself, its not an easy job for the beginner.

Aaron has the Maximum tunning mod, so I'm sure he'll reply on his experience.

I originally did this mod to extend the life of my tranny, but it has its performance advantages as well. You should use synthetic ATF, and install a tranny cooler as well.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:59 PM
OG Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by eric93SE
I installed the transgo shift kit in my 93se. First and second are real quick and firm. Not much was done to third and fourth (that I can remember). I did the modifications and installation myself, its not an easy job for the beginner.

Aaron has the Maximum tunning mod, so I'm sure he'll reply on his experience.

I originally did this mod to extend the life of my tranny, but it has its performance advantages as well. You should use synthetic ATF, and install a tranny cooler as well.
But Eric, wouldn't a tranny cooler have a NEGATIVE effect on your car if you're in a perpetually cold environment?
Old 01-04-2004, 06:18 AM
mod or sell?

Add lubegard red.
It'll keep the trans cooler with or without the trans cooler (and the install is much easier)
Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
But Eric, wouldn't a tranny cooler have a NEGATIVE effect on your car if you're in a perpetually cold environment?

Your right, I wouldnt reccomend a tranny cooler to someone living in Alaska or Siberia. But the syn ATF is a definite must.

The other thing is that nissan knows that the stock cooler in the radiator can get junked up, thats why they either require an aftermarket tranny cooler be installed with the installation of a new tranny, or they have the customer get a new radiator. I personally flushed the stock tranny cooler, when I had everything apart.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by nubiannupe
If you buy an expensive tranny cooler (B&M comes to mind) rather than the cheap tube-type ones, then they usually come with bypass valves such that the tranny fluid doesn't run through the entire cooler when it is cold, only when it is hot. I had one on my old 92SE auto and in frigid Massachusetts winters, the car was fine.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:47 PM

during winter months, I stick a piece of formica (or whatever else I can find laying around) in front of the tranny cooler. If I don't, and I'm driving on the HW it can take as much as 10mins for the torque convertor to lock up. I'm guessing the tranny temp sensor is talking to the tranny computer, WARM ME UP!
Old 01-04-2004, 06:13 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I saw this thread a while ago but I wanted to see what other people said first about it. I've said this MANY times, but since the stupid search function is not working, I will have to say it again.

Don't worry KRMaxima21, it's not your fault this website is slow and somewhat useless.

Anyway, the VB mod is MY best mod so far. I have a VERY fast 1-2 and 2-3 shift. At partial throttle, it instantly snaps into gear. At full throttle, it instantly snaps into gear. I usually break traction a little even at partial throttle in the 1-2 shift. I have great tires but sometimes the Las Vegas streets can get dusty.

www.maximumtuning.net is the ONLY way I would go. I have an estimated 230+HP at the crank and the stage 2 is MORE than enough than I'll ever need. If I decide to get a 100 shot of nitrous someday, this Stage 2 will be perfect. I would only recommend Stage 3 if you were pushing more than 400 HP on a daily basis. If oyu call up Max Tuning and talk to Jeff, he will recommend Stage 2 for you.

I wish we could search b/c I have posted a LOT of great info about VB mods.

Oh, and about the 2nd gen VB mod... I don't get what they are talking about. It doesn't effect 3rd gens b/c I've had experience with all 3rd gen VB mods. And we aren't effected what so ever by this. So, all you need to do is simply call them up and ask them. I believe some 5th gen guys have problems with normal 2-3 shifts and firm 1-2 shifts... and the 2nd gen VB mod is suppose to make both shifts firm.

Another thing, the 3-4 shift won't change b/c it's not controlled by the valve body like the other shifts are. I believe it's electronic and not controlled by pressure. Who really needs to firmly shift into OD at 130mph? lol
Old 01-04-2004, 07:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Aight so Imma save up and get in in Feb. when it's starting to get out of that cold weather. Aaron, when you had it done was it on your original tranny or a rebuilt? Mines is rebuilt and I just wanna make sure I'm not committing Maxima suicide !
Old 01-04-2004, 08:05 PM
NWP Engineering.com

Originally Posted by KRMaxima21
Aight so Imma save up and get in in Feb. when it's starting to get out of that cold weather. Aaron, when you had it done was it on your original tranny or a rebuilt? Mines is rebuilt and I just wanna make sure I'm not committing Maxima suicide !
In fact I have 139,900 miles and counting, on the original tranny. I've had the VB mod for about 14-15 months. The only thing you should be concerned about is if your tranny is slipping. If it's slipping now, the faster shifts will make it slip worse sometimes and it will die faster. But if your tranny is in perfect working order, then you have nothing to worry about.

I assume you're somewhat close to Long Island? If so, just drive up to the shop and 2 hours later, they will be done. For me, I was in NC at the time, I overnighted my stuff there and back and installed it myself. But if I was in the LI, NY area, I would definitely let Jeff's tranny tech touch my car. And that says lot. I don't let ANYBODY work on my car b/c it always comes back with wierd problems. If I do the work myself, I know it's done right.