Nitrous Discuss dry, wet, and direct port nitrous setups. How many shots can you handle?

Remove or keep VIAS valve for nitrous?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 PM

Remove or keep VIAS valve for nitrous?!

I'm just wondering what you've done, with the VIAS valves?! If spraying, did you remove them, and install block off plates, or not?! Thanks!!
Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM
LandShark has Cosworth

Originally Posted by trailer54
I'm just wondering what you've done, with the VIAS valves?! If spraying, did you remove them, and install block off plates, or not?! Thanks!!
So what car are you spraying, what year, engine, and what nozzle layout are you planning on using and what power level? Wet or dry?

If you're planning on a single wet nozzle mounted ahead of the TB, think about what happens to the wet nitrous/fuel mix when it goes thru the manifold and the VIAS valves change position - airflow will suddenly change and the mix may splatter against the IM walls, changing A/F for an instant. Later Maximas/Altimas with the plastic IMs change the VIAS twice as RPMs increase. With lots of nitrous, not so good....

Simple answer - figure out a way to prop open the VIAS on your car and do that only when spraying, otherwise leave it stock.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by grey99max
So what car are you spraying, what year, engine, and what nozzle layout are you planning on using and what power level? Wet or dry?

If you're planning on a single wet nozzle mounted ahead of the TB, think about what happens to the wet nitrous/fuel mix when it goes thru the manifold and the VIAS valves change position - airflow will suddenly change and the mix may splatter against the IM walls, changing A/F for an instant. Later Maximas/Altimas with the plastic IMs change the VIAS twice as RPMs increase. With lots of nitrous, not so good....

Simple answer - figure out a way to prop open the VIAS on your car and do that only when spraying, otherwise leave it stock.
I was hoping you'd reply! Extremely knowledgable!! Anyways, I'm going to be spraying my 13' Maxima!! I know the CVT isn't very strong, so I'm hoping a wet 75 shot will not cause the belt to slip(in the future, I intend to address the issue with a trans. swap to a conentional auto). I know of 2 people, who've successfully sprayed a 7th gen. Both have yet to have trans. issues, yet, knock on wood. One sprayed a wet 50, over many bottles(no issues) and the second, a wet 75 shot, same results!

I've purchase the NX Proton plus series with TPS activation switch! The car will have full bolt-on's and tune before I use said nitrous! I was thinking that exact thing, about the VIAS removal pre nitrous install, for that reason, but I wanted to confirm, just be sure! I'm thinking, I'll just purchase block-off plates and install/keep the on! Any other advice or tips are welcomed! I plan to install, maybe next month, just want to get all my ducks in a row before I do so!!! Thank you!!!
Old 09-13-2015, 02:47 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

I was hoping you'd reply! Extremely knowledgable!! Anyways, I'm going to be spraying my 13' Maxima!! I know the CVT isn't very strong, so I'm hoping a wet 75 shot will not cause the belt to slip(in the future, I intend to address the issue with a trans. swap to a conentional auto). I know of 2 people, who've successfully sprayed a 7th gen. Both have yet to have trans. issues, yet, knock on wood. One sprayed a wet 50, over many bottles(no issues) and the second, a wet 75 shot, same results!

I've purchase the NX Proton plus series with TPS activation switch! The car will have full bolt-on's and tune before I use said nitrous! I was thinking that exact thing, about the VIAS removal pre nitrous install, for that reason, but I wanted to confirm, just be sure! I'm thinking, I'll just purchase block-off plates and install/keep the on! Any other advice or tips are welcomed! I plan to install, maybe next month, just want to get all my ducks in a row before I do so!!! Thank you!!!

Dunno for sure but I hear the CVT is good for max of 400 WHP. I've topped that with a vq30, so be careful with your CVT. Swapping to another automatic transmission would be very difficult since the ECU and TCU are designed to work with the CVT, which is radically different from the 4AT and 5AT transmissions.

I think your Proton kit is a nice collection of parts that still provides an OFF-ON switch for your nitrous solenoids. If so, that's hard on the CVT to have the entire nitrous shot delivered all at once. NX has another product, the Maximizer 4 progressive controller, which can be programmed to provide nitrous based on the throttle position, so spray can be brought on and off as needed and won't slam the transmission. I actually use a older Max 3 for launch control of a 75-shot nozzle and a Max 4 for the 6-jet direct port system for when you "want to send the very best". Incidentally, that's built on a 2010 (same as 2013") Maxima LIM and UIM. A truly good time...

You're not going to be able to change your transmission type, and the Max 4 will help keep you from rupturing the CVT you do have. In my opinion...
Old 09-13-2015, 04:44 PM

Dunno for sure but I hear the CVT is good for max of 400 WHP. I've topped that with a vq30, so be careful with your CVT. Swapping to another automatic transmission would be very difficult since the ECU and TCU are designed to work with the CVT, which is radically different from the 4AT and 5AT transmissions.

I think your Proton kit is a nice collection of parts that still provides an OFF-ON switch for your nitrous solenoids. If so, that's hard on the CVT to have the entire nitrous shot delivered all at once. NX has another product, the Maximizer 4 progressive controller, which can be programmed to provide nitrous based on the throttle position, so spray can be brought on and off as needed and won't slam the transmission. I actually use a older Max 3 for launch control of a 75-shot nozzle and a Max 4 for the 6-jet direct port system for when you "want to send the very best". Incidentally, that's built on a 2010 (same as 2013") Maxima LIM and UIM. A truly good time...

You're not going to be able to change your transmission type, and the Max 4 will help keep you from rupturing the CVT you do have. In my opinion...
Ok! I have another question now, I'm sorry, didn't the 6th have an optional 4 speed before it switched to CVT?! There's no way to change to a different auto, unless some major rewiring is done?! Can taking a TCU with a 4 speed, be made to work with a 7th gen. ECU?!

I just looked at the Progressive controller and it's definitely a great thing to have, I'll more than like invest in one, so as you said, all the power won't be all at once on the trans. Nissan really "plagued" the 6th/7th/8th gens. with these CVT's! Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it!!
Old 09-13-2015, 07:27 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Ok! I have another question now, I'm sorry, didn't the 6th have an optional 4 speed before it switched to CVT?! There's no way to change to a different auto, unless some major rewiring is done?! Can taking a TCU with a 4 speed, be made to work with a 7th gen. ECU?!

I just looked at the Progressive controller and it's definitely a great thing to have, I'll more than like invest in one, so as you said, all the power won't be all at once on the trans. Nissan really "plagued" the 6th/7th/8th gens. with these CVT's! Thank you for all your help, I appreciate it!!
The Max 4 controller set up for throttle control is a real blast to drive. Nothing like rolling down the Interstate at 90+MPH and goosing the throttle just to hear the 275x50x15 drag radials squeal like piggies.

Yup, the 2004 maxima was the last of the 4AT transmissions (my wife had one) and up thru 2006 the 2.5L Altima had a 4AT ( a much modded version is in my 99 Max - still the RE4F04B) Nope, mixing ECUs and TCUs between different generations is a very complex process, and if you hack on it enough, and make something work, kinda, your nice shiny 2013 maxima isn't worth diddly as a trade-in or resale to someone else. Is that what you really want to do?

Old 09-13-2015, 09:47 PM

The Max 4 controller set up for throttle control is a real blast to drive. Nothing like rolling down the Interstate at 90+MPH and goosing the throttle just to hear the 275x50x15 drag radials squeal like piggies.

Yup, the 2004 maxima was the last of the 4AT transmissions (my wife had one) and up thru 2006 the 2.5L Altima had a 4AT ( a much modded version is in my 99 Max - still the RE4F04B) Nope, mixing ECUs and TCUs between different generations is a very complex process, and if you hack on it enough, and make something work, kinda, your nice shiny 2013 maxima isn't worth diddly as a trade-in or resale to someone else. Is that what you really want to do?

That sounds like a complete blast! Wow! Spinning at 90 with those tires?! That's intense! How much power is your Max making, just all motor, if you don't mind me asking?!

That's the exact transmission, I was looking too, an 04' 89X00! I'm comfortable making it work, it's more of a help issue. I'm definitely not worried about trade-in or resale, for one "weird" reason in particular, I'm a wheelchair user, and have fitted hand controls, that are actually drive-by-wire(versus cable driven like most), and it'd be more of a pain for me to uninstall them. So I intend to keep the Maxima for a long time! I see the potential in it, just that limiting transmission.

Also our fuel line is 3/8", correct?! I'm actually going to purchase an fuel rail adapter, instead of cutting the line for fuel supply!!
Old 09-14-2015, 01:33 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

That sounds like a complete blast! Wow! Spinning at 90 with those tires?! That's intense! How much power is your Max making, just all motor, if you don't mind me asking?!

That's the exact transmission, I was looking too, an 04' 89X00! I'm comfortable making it work, it's more of a help issue. I'm definitely not worried about trade-in or resale, for one "weird" reason in particular, I'm a wheelchair user, and have fitted hand controls, that are actually drive-by-wire(versus cable driven like most), and it'd be more of a pain for me to uninstall them. So I intend to keep the Maxima for a long time! I see the potential in it, just that limiting transmission.

Also our fuel line is 3/8", correct?! I'm actually going to purchase an fuel rail adapter, instead of cutting the line for fuel supply!!
Don't know any dyno HP ratings on the last engine, never dynoed it (and never did care about N/A) because of all the time it took to set up the 2010 IM and direct-port nitrous systems and getting things to work (and blowing trannys and diffs). Example - the direct-port system caused flow-reversion when spraying below 4600 RPMs and made pretty flames under the hood, especially at night. Used up a couple of MAFs as well...

Well, if you are sure you want to move ahead, there are a lot of details to discuss. The RE4F04A (93-99) and RE4F04B (2000 and later) all have the same internal gear ratios and a final drive ratio of 3.8, except for the 2005-2006 Altima 2.5 which had a 4.4 final drive. Makes a digger out of a family car real quick. Internal solenoids are the same, but the external wiring connector changed in 2000 - and continued thru 2006. You can buy a 2005-6 Altima RE4F04B tranny for $300-$400 bucks with low miles. The bell housing must come from a Maxima RE4F04A-B. Altimas are different. The axles are the same up thru 2006 as well. You will need to research axles to see if yours will fit the transmission, or older axles will fit into your car. Some folks on the forum have swapped the 2009+ engine into 4th and 5th gen Maximas, so the older flex plate may be required to mount the new torque converter and the later block will connect to the older transmissions. Of course an old flex plate may not work with your present engine computer....

With me so far? Unless you can verify that the parts will in fact mount in your car, you can't move ahead. Thoughts? Oh yeah, dunno about the fuel line, but older Maxs never had a 3/8" fuel line. And your car does not have a fuel return system...

Then the problems with shifting the RE4F04B are next up...
Old 09-14-2015, 08:03 PM

Don't know any dyno HP ratings on the last engine, never dynoed it (and never did care about N/A) because of all the time it took to set up the 2010 IM and direct-port nitrous systems and getting things to work (and blowing trannys and diffs). Example - the direct-port system caused flow-reversion when spraying below 4600 RPMs and made pretty flames under the hood, especially at night. Used up a couple of MAFs as well...

Well, if you are sure you want to move ahead, there are a lot of details to discuss. The RE4F04A (93-99) and RE4F04B (2000 and later) all have the same internal gear ratios and a final drive ratio of 3.8, except for the 2005-2006 Altima 2.5 which had a 4.4 final drive. Makes a digger out of a family car real quick. Internal solenoids are the same, but the external wiring connector changed in 2000 - and continued thru 2006. You can buy a 2005-6 Altima RE4F04B tranny for $300-$400 bucks with low miles. The bell housing must come from a Maxima RE4F04A-B. Altimas are different. The axles are the same up thru 2006 as well. You will need to research axles to see if yours will fit the transmission, or older axles will fit into your car. Some folks on the forum have swapped the 2009+ engine into 4th and 5th gen Maximas, so the older flex plate may be required to mount the new torque converter and the later block will connect to the older transmissions. Of course an old flex plate may not work with your present engine computer....

With me so far? Unless you can verify that the parts will in fact mount in your car, you can't move ahead. Thoughts? Oh yeah, dunno about the fuel line, but older Maxs never had a 3/8" fuel line. And your car does not have a fuel return system...

Then the problems with shifting the RE4F04B are next up...
Ok, I gotcha on the non- Dynoing!!!

Whew! Ok, I'm with you, I really appreciate this information! I'm actually printing this all out! I've definitely havey work cut out for me. I hope to do this swap, early next year. So more ample time and help/info., the better! First and foremost, I'm going to look into mounting it!
Old 09-14-2015, 09:09 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Ok, I gotcha on the non- Dynoing!!!

Whew! Ok, I'm with you, I really appreciate this information! I'm actually printing this all out! I've definitely havey work cut out for me. I hope to do this swap, early next year. So more ample time and help/info., the better! First and foremost, I'm going to look into mounting it!
PM this guy for more answers on automatic transmissions- knows 'em well..

"ABIGBRAIN"

https://maxima.org/forums/member.php?u=141293
Old 09-16-2015, 07:40 PM

"ABIGBRAIN"

Ok, I sure will! Again, thank you for your help! I appreciate it very much!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:13 AM

"ABIGBRAIN"

Hey Grey!!! So I've gotten everything done and wired up; I'm using a TPS activation switch; would you or know anyone who knows, which wire is the TPS output sensor wire?!? I've looked at wiring diagrams with no luck and called Nissan again with no luck! Thank you!!
Old 11-18-2015, 02:05 PM
LandShark has Cosworth

Hey Grey!!! So I've gotten everything done and wired up; I'm using a TPS activation switch; would you or know anyone who knows, which wire is the TPS output sensor wire?!? I've looked at wiring diagrams with no luck and called Nissan again with no luck! Thank you!!

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

I've looked and can't find any reference to a 2012 / 2013 Maxima Engine Control (EC) manual in the above web link. The electrical wiring for those two years must be a secret...

???
Old 11-18-2015, 07:44 PM

http://boredmder.com/FSMs/Nissan/Maxima/

I've looked and can't find any reference to a 2012 / 2013 Maxima Engine Control (EC) manual in the above web link. The electrical wiring for those two years must be a secret...

???
That's funny I was using that as well and same as you, came up empty. Very weird!! Ok thank you very much though!!!